From the 1887 History
of Vernon County, Missouri, p.
Richard S. Brown
(Farmer, Section 10, Post-office, Nevada).
the brief sketch which here appears will be found the record of a man
whose life has been passed in a manner devoid of display or excitement,
but who has attended closely to his chosen calling and has gained for
himself an honored name among his many acquaintances. Richard S. Brown
was born in Prince William county, Va., May 12, 1840, his parents being
William and Helen (Atkinson) Brown, also natives of the Old Dominion.
The former was a shoemaker by trade but afterwards adopted farming as
his pursuit. In 1849 he left Virginia and located in Adams county, Ill.,
where he remained but two years, going thence to Hancock county, and
there he died in 1866. His widow still resides in that locality. She
became the mother of seventeen children, fourteen of whom reached mature
years, two dying in infancy and another at the age of eleven years.
Richard S. was the seventh child and from an early age he was accustomed
to hard toil. Besides working about home he managed to secure a good
common school education and afterwards supplemented this training with a
course at the high school in Warsaw, which he left well prepared to
enter upon the realities of life. In 1864 he took unto himself a wife in
the person of Miss Sarah V. Fry, daughter of Thomas Fry, and she has
borne him three children, only one of whom, William, is now living; the
others died in infancy. Since 1868 Mr. Brown has been a resident of
Vernon county, proving himself to be progressive and enterprising in all
practical movements. He owns a good farm lying five miles and a half
northeast of Nevada, which is being managed to the best advantage.
Politically he is a Democrat and stands high in the esteem of his party,
having served in several positions of trust and responsibility. He was
deputy sheriff of Hancock county, III., and also served in the capacity
of assessor several years. Since his twenty-fifth year he has been a
member of the Masonic order and now belongs to Argyle Lodge No. 451, of