WILLIAM N. BROWN
From the 1887 History
of Vernon County, Missouri, p.
William N. Brown
and Stock-raiser, Section 35, Post-office, Schell City)
one of the substantial, progressive citizens of Blue Mound township we
would mention William N. Brown, a man of extensive experience, and whose
career has been one of varied and thrilling interest. Born in Murray
county, Ga., January 1, 1838, he was the youngest of six children born
to his parents, James and Rachel Brown, nee Baker. The former, a farmer
by occupation, died before the birth of William, and his mother
subsequently moved to Alabama, where her death occurred in 1843. Young
William was surrounded by a new and unsettled country which afforded no
educational advantages, though his schooling was not entirely
neglected. After living in Alabama about eight years he left there when
14 years old and moved to Johnson county, Mo., where he had a brother
living, and soon after his arrival there they both went to Albuquerque,
N. M. The trip was a long and hazardous one, but their destination was
finally reached, and the following year Mr. B. went to Pike’s Peak, Ft.
Laramie, etc., remaining three years, engaged with Col. Sumner in Indian
warfare the greater portion of the time. After numerous hardships and
perilous adventures he returned to Johnson county in 1858, and the next
year took a journey to the Arkansas river, in Arkansas, from whence he
came back in the spring and made his home with his brother until Gov.
Jackson’s first call for troops, in June, 1861, to suppress invasion.
Enlisting in Co. E, of McCowan’s battalion, he took part in the battles
of Independence, Carthage, Wilson’s Creek, Drywood, Lexington, Pea
Ridge, Prairie Grove and Lone Jack—in fact in nearly all the leading
engagements and raids of Gens. Marmaduke, Price and others. In 1862 he
was wounded in Barton county, and in May, 1865, was paroled at
Shreveport, La., going thence to Leavenworth, Kas., and from there
coming to this county, his present home. Upon locating on the prairie he
was the only settler in that section of country save a few settlements
made on the banks of the river, and a recital of the many changes which
he has witnessed and taken part in would fill a volume. March 27, 1870,
Miss Sorilda Coyl, daughter of Francis M. Coyl, and old and respected
citizen of this county, became Mr. Brown’s wife, and they have six
children: Delmar N., Clay C., Emmett O., May F., Anna B. and an
infant. Mr. Brown’s homestead of 160 acres is in the northern part of
the township, 4 1-2 miles from Schell City. He is a stanch Democrat,
and of substantial worth hereabouts.