Search billions of records on

Wayne County Journal 

1902 Newspaper Articles

Wayne County Missouri 

Submitted by Sharon Hackworth

Nellie Hughes Obit, Wayne County Journal May 15, 1902


Mrs. Nellie Hughes, wife of Frank Hughes, of Lake Creek, departed this life April 22, 1902, aged 26 years and 4 months. While in young age or bloom of youth, God saw fit to call her from a world of pain, sickness and death to the "Haven of Rest".  Her suffering was intense for about two days and her friends and loved ones assisted the medical aid to relieve her pain, yet not so; her labors on earth were o'er, and she bade "old earth" adieu forever and now her body rests sweetly in the Liberty Hill cemetery, while her spirit basks in the sunshine of Heaven. Mrs. Hughes was a teacher for several years and taught her home school last year; therefore she had endeared herself to all the children of that place.

She leaves a husband to walk through life alone, and aged father, two brothers and five sisters to feel so lonely in their homes without her, and a host of friends who loved her dearly.  Well say warmly sure when her gentle spirit fled, To realms beyond this azure dome. With outstretched wings God's angel said, Welcome to heaven, home sweet home.


Wayne County Journal May 15, 1902 Marriage Licenses granted

Marriage Licenses granted since last reported.

Geo Harrott, Greenville to Rose Cline, Greenville

Geo Sallie, Objibway to Della Robinson, Objibway

James H. Owens, Bounds to Adda L. Clark, Bounds


Wayne Co. Journal, May 15, 1902 Probate Court Dock

Probate Court Docket for the May term of the Probate Court of Wayne County of Missouri to be gun and held on the 19th day of May 1902 in which settlements are due from Administrators Executors, Guardians and curators that have not heretofore been published and continued.

Estate of Adolphus Pape, Wm. K. Whitener, executor, 2nd Annual and final:

Estate of Allie Porter to minor Sarah E. Porter, G. C. Final

Mildred Davis a minor, Mississippi Valley Trust Co., Curator, First Annual

Estate of E. K. Max, Wm. P. White, Pub Adms. In charge, 1st annual

Estate to Virgil Scott, et al minors, John H. Cline, G. and C., fourth annual

Estate of Sim Sconden,  Hugh McCarn, Admr.  2nd annual and final.


Wayne Co. Journal, May 15, 1902 Sam Brown Sentence to death

Wayne Co. Journal, May 15, 1902 Sam Brown Sentence to death SAM BROWN SENTENCED (spelling errors are as was in article)

Supreme court affirmed the decisions of circuit court on 13

June 13, 1902 is day set for the execution.

Sam Brown who was convicted August term of our Circuit Court 1901 of murder in the first degree for killing Geo. T. Richardson, will suffer the penalty of death by hanging here on 13 day of next month.

The case was a clear one of murder for money, and has caused great excitement every since the heinous crime was committed March 20, 1900.

Brown, his brother-in-law Will Grant and Richardson all made ties for the H. K. L.&L. Co. over in eastern part of the county near Hiram. By some means Brown learned that Richardson had $700 and that he wore it in a leather belt next to his person around his waist so he induced Grant, who was living with him at the time to assist in killing Richardson, get his money, and put out the report that Richards had suddenly left for Klondike.

Brown and Grant quit work late one afternoon and started to Hiram obstensibly to draw their pay and on the way they halted and waited till Richardson came up, who was returning from Hiram where he’d been to get his pay for making ties. 

Brown told Grant, when they met, to go on to Hiram and he’d go back with the old man.  After he turned back with Richardson walking along behind him talking in a friendly manner, he took the Winchester which he was carrying, off his shoulder and shot Richardson 2 or three times, then dragged him by the heels into an old vacant tie shanty, piled chips, dead wood, and pine knots on the corpse and set fire to the shanty.  He an Grant then went home, and came back next morning to find the body not consumed but with the head and limbs burned off. Brown the carried the remains across the road and down into another hollow and deposited it in a hole left by an upturned tree, again piling dead wood on it and setting it afire.

It was here the charred remains were found by a posse who missed Richardson and suspected foul play.  Brown and Grant were arrested and Grant turned State’s evidence and is now free.

This is the blackest crime and darkest spot in the history of Wayne County.  Brown has as yet made no confession but is reported to have said that if he is executed, he desire to be hanged 15 minutes before 12 o’clock so as to get to hell in time for dinner.


AUGUST 21, 1902 WAYNE CO JOURNAL Mill Spring Items

 CORRESPONDENCE - Mill Spring Items

Health is not very good.

G. W. Holladay was in town Monday.

Mrs. James Hassell visited Mrs. J. E. Gilmer last week

Miss Ethel Page is spending the week with friends at Patterson.

Mrs. F. M. Mansfield is visiting relatives at DeSoto this week.

C. H. Lucy made a flying visit to Farmington Saturday.

Miss Cora Moss went over to Greenville Monday to visit relatives.

Miss Hattie Jones is visiting her sister Mrs. Carter at Centerville this week.

Mrs. John Carnahan of Elsinore was a guest of Mrs. U. R. Nichols the first of last week.

Last Wednesday was the hottest day ever felt by mortal man at this place.

Mrs. H. B. Crane of Poplar Bluff visited Mrs. L. D. Randal several days last week.

Mr. and Mrs. John White spent Saturday and Sunday with Mrs. White’s parents at Ellington.

Mrs. Hattie Padgett, who spent the week with her brother, D. N. Holladay, returned to St. Louis Sunday.

Frank Philips and his sister Miss Marie visited the family of Mr. and Mrs. W. T. Leeper last week.

Our public school is now in full blast, having opened up the first of the month with an enrollment of seventy pupils.

James Weems and family are spending the week in Reynolds County visiting friends and relatives.

Jas Ross has bought a house and lot in town very recently.

Ed Cole’s 2 year old baby died Wednesday.

A Royal Circle lodge will be organized at Leeper this month.

Mr. and Mrs. Bert Brainerd of Des Arc were guests of Mr. and Mrs. J. S. O’Neal Saturday night.

Miss Maud Angle entertained a party of friends at a moonlight social at her home Saturday night.

W. T. Leeper and D. N. Holladay attended the second annual encampment of the Grand Army of Tennesseans at Greenville last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Ned Page of Little Rock spent last week visiting their father M. P. Page.  They returned home Tuesday.

Prof. S. A. Baker left for Jefferson city Monday after a month’s visit with his mother Mrs. M. P. Page.

Mr. and Mrs. Tom O’Dell came down from Piedmont and spent Saturday and Sunday with their daughter. Mrs. Chas. Hunter.

Dr. J. E. Gilmer has sold his property here to Dr. R. J. Owens and will locate at Piedmont.  Dr. Gilmer is a good citizen and a fine physician and we regret to see him leave us.

John Angle is the champion hay raiser on Black River.  He has just baled 1469 as fine bales of timothy hay as was ever raised in this vicinity.

Andrew Eads, our popular blacksmith, sold his farm near Granite Bend to Wm. Armstrong, last Saturday and then bout the property he is occupying here at present.

Thieves broke into Carnahan & Leeper’s store Monday night and relieved those gentlemen of a lot of  kids gloves, suspenders, and ladies handkerchiefs.  The post office was also broken into, but nothing of any value was taken.


Rings Creek Items Wayne Co Journal Aug 21, 1902  


Health is generally good.

An immense amount of rain fell here 26th and 27th, which the farmers and all were very proud to see. It was the best rain that has fallen here in the last two years. At least six inches fell and it nearly all went into the ground, which started the wells and springs to flowing once more.

Mr. Tom Myees of Gravelton had business on the Creek last Friday and Satuday.

Mr. Fred Jones of Greenville spent one night last week with his parents.

Miss Blanche Holladay has gone to Chaonia, where she will wield the wattle this fall in the Chaonia school room.

Miss Lizzie Gill has gone to Williamsville, where she will govern the primary department of that school under Principal Stephens.

Mr. Joe Jones has gone to Mill Creek, near Mill Spring, where he will instruct the young people of that neighborhood this fall.

Miss Cora Gill has gone to Iron County, where she will enter upon the duties of a pedagogue on the first day of September. She will teach near Des Arc.

Misses Leona Davidson of Greenville and Virgie O’Bannon of Lowndes visited friend on the Creek last week and while here paid the R. C. public school a pleasant visit.

Mr. George Hackworth has moved his family to his farm on this creek, where he hopes his family will have better health. Mr. Talley, who has been living on Mr. H.’s farm, will probably move to Patterson.

One successful month of the R. C. public school closed last Friday with an average of 50 for the month.




She’s Gone to Rest

Little Grace, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Crow near Ojibway, died at her home August 27th and was laid to rest in the Mt. Zion cemetery. She was nine years old. Little Grace was the sunshine of her home. Dr. McGhee and Dr. Anson did al that was in their power to save her, but God had called her home. Her parents thank those who were so kind during little Grace’s sickness. She leaves a father and mother and four brothers to mourn her death.

One by one we too must meet

O’er the river dark and cold;

May we then our sisters meet

Oh the streets of shining gold.

So like her who rests so

Sweetly free from all this world’s care

Do our mission here so cheerful

Till we meet her over there

She has helped us, Oh, so often,

Gave us courage on our way,

But her work on earth is finished

Fro God has called her away.

We shall miss her happy smiles

Where’er our footsteps chance to stray

Till we too are called to meet her

In the land of endless day.

Melissa Dees


Browns Execution - Wayne Co Journal

  Wayne County Journal –July 3, 1902, Brown’s Execution (again  lots of spelling errors)

Sam Brown, sentenced to death for the murder of Geo. T. Richardson on March 20, 1900, was hanged in the jail yard Friday, June 27th.

Over 1500 people from people from Wayne and adjoining counties came to see the hanging, but only those deputized as guards were admitted to the enclosure.

Brown  was attended in his last hours by Rev. Batten of Piedmont, McKenzie of near Lowndes, and Brooks of Greenville, who made every effort to induce him to accept the Christian religion, but without avail.  All he would say was that he was “ready to go.” After the ministers got through their services  Sheriff Malugen cleared the cell and made final arrangements for the hanging.

Unable to walk Brown was carried to the gallows at 11:50 by Lee Shipman, W. G. Harry Hayes and Jailer Bennett.  He was placed at the window and looked out upon the crowd.  “Friends” he says, “this is Sam Brown, he is not going to say a word.” Brown said “goodbye” to former friends, the window was closed and he was carried to the trap. Brown was nerve to the last; but just for a moment before the black cap was adjusted his features were distorted in an expression of extreme horror.  He looked up at the hangman’s rope and its terrible knot and his lips worked convulsively but no sound escaped.  Then the black cap was pulled over his face, the noose adjusted round his neck and Brown was lifted to his feet.  The sheriff seized the axe that was to spring the trap.  “In the name of the law of the State of Missouri,” said the sheriff, with the axe poised over his head.  “Good-bye, gentlemen,” said Brown, in strong, clear tones, “good__” the axe fell, the trap was sprung, and with a!  sickening, cracking sound Brown plunged to eternity.  Round and round whirled the body, the legs drawing up in the death spasms, then stopped whirling and swung to and fro.  Three minutes after the drop fell the pulse was 120; four minutes after there were distinct efforts to breathe; five minutes after the body was quiet, and ten minutes after was pronounced dead by the physicians, Drs. Holmes, Atkins, Sebastian, Enloe and McGhee. Seven minutes later the remains were cut down and placed in a coffin, the gates of the enclosure were thrown open; and for several hours the crowd filed through, gazing with morbid curiosity on the livid features and staring eyes of the corpse.



Brown made the following statement to Lee Shipman one of the death watch, Thursday night.  He said before his death that is the only statement he has made since his arrest and confinement, and that he made this only because he had a very high regard for Shipman.  He told Mr. Shipman, concerning the crime for which he was to be hanged, that Will Grant and Richardson’s wife formed the plot to kill Richardson, and but for them Richardson would be alive today.  He recalled the fact that Grant went up to Mrs. Richardson immediately after he was released and said to her in the presence of a number of people that he was ready to take her to any part of the world to which she wanted to go. Brown would say no more on the subject, and whatever the truth may be he has carried it with him to the grave.

This is Brown’s Statement:

“I was born April 9, 1870, I was first away from my state when I was 16 years of age.  Went to Kentucky.  Worked for Mike and Bill Cressell, brothers, on Texas R. R. one year.  Went home to Indiana and worked in a stave factory for J. T. Jackson Co., in Dubois County, worked there until I was 20 years old.  Went back to Kentucky when 21.  Made ties for Moss Tie Co., one year on P. T. R. R. Then went to Baxter County Ark., to see a half sister married to a man named Kelms; then back to Tennessee; made ties for T. J. Moss, at Paris Tenn.  Worked there one year. From there went to Providence, Ky., staid five months; worked at sawmill for Cressell & Chambers; then to Owensboro, Ky., and made ties for Tom Harborn.  Married Annabel Grant at Hartford, Ky.  Was married at 22, Staid there three months after I married, then went to Providence and worked for John Garrett in a sawmill about one year.

Then back to Harborn and made ties three or four months.  Then back home to Huntingburg, Ind.  Tool my family – wife and one child.  Worked a year and four or five months in a stave factory for Sam Wolferman and Gus Kerns.  Then back to Tom Harborn and made ties until I came to Bernie, Mo., in 1897, five years last January. My father died about 1873, my mother was killed by train on the Airline, in Dubois county, Ind., at Minter station. Lon Brown, a brother lives at Evansville, Ind. Oll Brown, another brother, lives at Cromwell, Ky.

During my life I have never been locked up on any charge, nor arrested for any meaness before this charge. Have never drunk but very little.  Have cursed some, but not much, never my Creator.  I believe there is a God who will pardon all sins, except self-murder, I am prepared to die at any time that God and man see fit to end my days.

I have never tried to take or eat anything that would shorten my life on this earth. I am leaving two little boys, one four years old and the other seven.  God and man will care for them.  When to-morrow the 27th is here I will have served 27 months and 3 days in jail, which shows on me as all can see.  It has been a great torture to me, though I have been treated as good by the Sheriff, Mr. Malugen and his lady wife, as any man could expect locked up under the charge that I am.  My deathwatches Lee Shipman and Frank Clark are good to me, kind and ready to help me in my last days.

As for my attorneys Munger and Raney, they are gentlemen.  They or especially Mr. Munger, has done all that he or any other man could do.  The people of this county have or did make their proof in my case strong enough to sentence me to hang.  So if they are all satisfied I have to be.  So good-bye to one and all.     Sam Brown


September 4, 1902, Wayne Co Journal licensed to wed.

Marriage licenses were issued to the following parties since our last issue of the Journal.

Milford Pellry of Hiram to Sarah Howell of Hiram.

Frank Wilkerson of Greenville to Lizzie Bachanan of Greenville.

Wesley Gibb of Mill Springs to Mona Walker of Mill Springs.

John Brown of Zetonia to Dortha Wallace of Zetonia.

J. D.(O.) Sims of Lodi to Sarah J. Evans of Lodi.

D. K. Coleman of Columbia, KY to Miss Beatrice Harvey of Piedmont.


Wayne County Journal Dec 4, 1902 Greenville Local news

Greenville Local Items

Rev. Settlerwhite preaches at the C. P. Church at Patterson every 2nd Sunday.

Robt. Davis, the newly elected Prosecuting Attorney, came over Saturday on business.

Prof. L. M. Wagner of Gravelton was in town last Saturday circulating among friends.

D. N. Holladay, the new Circuit Clerk elect, was in town last Tuesday shaking hands with his many friends.

Rev. Reeves of Farmington came in Saturday and preached at the Baptist Church Sunday.

J. A. Julian of Chaonia, was in town last Saturday and pain the Journal office a pleasant call.

J. L. Strader returned Saturday from Piedmont.  He will be cashier of the new bank at Piedmont, and will move there soon.

Wash Hughes, the jolly stock buyer of near Taskee, was in town last Saturday and paid the Journal a pleasant call.

M. M. Sheets, the newly elected Prosecuting Attorney of Carter County, was in town last Saturday circulating among friends.

Hon. W. S. Anthony, of Farmington, came down to our town last Saturday on legal business.  Will is one of the brightest young lawyers in this part of the state.

Our young friend Ed Dunningan of this town has invented a patent spring stirrup for a saddle.  Ed quite a genius and his invention will probably make him rich.

Miss Lou Bell, a niece of Mrs. Susie Scott, is at the Greenville Hotel sick and is being treated by Drs.

Petit and Atkins, who performed an operation on her last Friday.  She is improving.


Wayne County Journal, Dec 4, 1902 Chaonia Items

Health in this vicinity is very good. 

R. L. Ward was seen in our town last Monday.

Mrs. E. L. Hope returned from Cape Girardeau last Wednesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Birdnow, of Desoto are visiting Mr. B's mother.

Mr. and Mrs. Hope of Puxico spent last Thursday in our town.

Mr. ? L. Hope, bookkeeper for the T. J. Moss Tie Co., of this place is spending a few days in Jackson this week.

Mrs. E. C. Johnson of Dixon, Ill., arrived last Wednesday to remain during the winter with her husband and son.

One of the most pleasant social events of the year occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. T. Lears on Halloween night.

Our town at present is full of men who are constructing the steel bridge across the St. Francis river near Butler Station.

Our school is progressing nicely under the management of Miss Blanch Holladay, of Patterson.  A nice program was rendered Friday afternoon, it being Eugene Field day.


Boy Met A Horrible Death - December 18, 1902 Wayne Co Journal

Ben, the Fourteen Year Old Son of Tom Watson Killed by the Cars at Williamsville.

A most frightful accident occurred at Williamsville last Friday evening, when Ben, the 14-year-old son of Thomas Watson, tried to catch and steal a ride on an incoming freight train.

He lost his hold and fell under the train, and his body was mangled beyond recognition.

Mr. Watson, father of the boy killed, is a section foreman on the S. M. & A. R. R., and one of the best citizens of Williamsville.

Such accidents will occur, yet boys will jump on and off trains. This should be a warning to them.


E. E. Dunnegan. - December 18, 1902 Wayne Co Journal

Louis Bagger & Co., patent attorneys, Washington, D. C., report that on last Tuesday E. E. Dunnegan, a resident of this place, obtained a valuable patent for improvements in riding stirrups. A printed copy of this patent will be furnished free to any reader of this paper on application to the above named attorneys. Mention this paper in writing.


Center Ridge items December 18, 1902 Wayne Co Journal

Aunt Rutha Bollinger is quite sick at this writing.

There has been several parties from Poplar Bluff buying hickory timber in our vicinity for the past two weeks.

George Mabrey and wife from Greenville were down to their farm week before last.

Le McCowan, of near Taskee, was over in our neck of the woods last week. Lee was all smiles and said it was a big boy.

Uncle George Fox is back from Kentucky visiting relatives and friends. Everybody enjoys a joke from Uncle George.

Those Democrats that scratched R. L. Ward ought to go way back and sit down and wonder why they did it.

Jefferson Kime is teaching a very successful school at the Ridge this year.

W. P. Bollinger was down home last Sunday week.

Well, old Santa Claus will be here soon and we will tell you later how he treated us.

A. Democrat.


December 18, 1902 Wayne Co Journal – An old citizen passes away

  AN OLD CITIZEN PASSES AWAY, C. A. Bennett Died in St. Louis Las Saturday—Funeral Services Took Place Tuesday.

Last Saturday, December 13, 1902, at 11:45 p.m. at the Mullanphy hospital in St. Louis, C. A. Bennett, aged 61 years and 9 months, peacefully passed away after several weeks of suffering.

Mr. Bennett some time ago complained of a tooth he had filled and nothing serious was thought of the matter until it became worse and it developed into a quick cancer on his jaw. He was taken to the hospital in St. Louis where he received the best of medical attention, but gradually grew worse and died as above stated.

Mr. Bennett was one of the ____ citizens of Wayne County, having _____ (paper folded) early in life in the mercantile business in Greenville, of which he made a success. He was one of the best and most prominent citizens of our county, and his place in this community will be hard to fill. His kind and generous nature has helped many a poor man on his way, and his acts of kindness will be missed by many. He was a devoted member of the Christian church of this city, which owing to his generosity, now has a nice church building free of debt, which will stand as a monument to his memory.

He was a member of the Masonic and A. O. W. lodges of this city and was buried with the honors of those two orders.

The citizens of Greenville feel keenly the loss of Mr. Bennett as a citizen, and the town will miss him as a progressive businessman.

He leaves a devoted Christian wife and an number of relatives to mourn his loss, who have the heartfelt sympathy of the community in their sad hour of bereavement.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. H. Drennan at the Christian church in this city Tuesday at 10 o’clock a.m., after which the remains were laid to rest at the family cemetery on his farm five miles north of this city in the presence of a large number of relatives and friends.

When the evenings shadows gather,

And his long days work is done;

When he reaches that unknown country

Out beyond the setting sun,

After all the weary waitin,

In his peaceful rest to share.