Search billions of records on

Norwood Index
Page 10

August 1, 1935:

The old Wright County Fair grounds at Mansfield are being put in condition for a great festival to be held August 14 to 17.  There will be continuous entertainment consisting of horse racing each afternoon plus several hours of free acts each day and night.  The Golden Belt Shows have contracted their 6 rides and 5 side shows for the exposition dates.  Mansfield is preparing to entertain great crowds during this exposition.

The remains of Robert McNamara, who died in Norwood September 8, 1912, and who was buried in the Thomas Cemetery, were exhumed Monday and taken to Springfield for interment in the National Cemetery there.  Mrs. Kittie Alexander of Springfield, a daughter of McNamara, had the body moved.  A truck and men were sent out from Springfield and T. B. Bouldin, who had charge when deceased was buried nearly 23 years ago, directed the work of taking up the body.  Mr. McNamara was 85 years old at the time of his death.

Mr. Huber is suffering with a very sore arm, which was injured when a fruit jar that he was sealing bursted.

Roscoe Allen spent Saturday night and Sunday with his brother, Bob, and family.

Several from this community attended the tent revival at Mansfield carried on by Eld. Arthur Kelley.  Only one person was saved but much good was accomplished.

Mr. and Mrs. Edd Housley are the proud parents of a 9 pound baby girl.  She will answer to the name Doris Mae.

After spending several days with her aunt, Mrs. H. A. Walls, Miss Hazel Coday returned to her home in Hartville.  Mrs. Walls accompanied her home and spent the weekend.

Miss Marie Wade spent the weekend with her aunt, Mrs. Bert Morgan, in Mountain Grove.

Miss Natalie Burke of Stony Point district was married to Murphy Allen last Tuesday.

August 8, 1935:

D. B. Thomas of Springfield visited his daughter, Mrs. Ray Whitteker, in Norwood over the weekend.

Joe Nickle has resigned as coach of the Mansfield high school and has accepted a position in the Federal hospital in Springfield.

John Lightfritz, who recently bought the Thompson farm on route one, called at the Index office Saturday and ordered this paper sent to his address for the next 12 months.  Mr. and Mrs. Lightfritz come here from Barnsdall, Okla.

George E. Munn, who owned a farm near the Walker school north of town, died Saturday in a hospital at Broken Bow, Nebr., following an operation on the previous Monday for gall stones.  Mr. Munn went to Nebraska only a short time ago and was stricken soon after his arrival there.

News from Tulare, Calif.:  Mr. and Mrs. Lou Welch report the arrival of a big boy July 17.  He has been named James Edward.
                                       Mr. and Mrs. Orville Ellison spent the weekend with her parents, A. C. Caudle and wife and Eveleen and Pauline Ellison had been visiting their grandparents for a week and their parents came to take them home.  Quite a coincidence occurred while Orville was there; his brother, Ace, whom he had not seen for 15 years, came down from Corcoran to try to get his address and met him in Tulare.  Ace had been in Iowa until quite recently.
                                       Amos Pope, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Pope of Norwood, and Miss Esther Kirker of near Tulare were married July 15.
                                       Lester Jarrett was hit by a milk truck as he was crossing the street in Tulare Friday night.  He was unconscious until noon Saturday but is much improved now.  The doctor says no bones were broken---only severe bruises.  He is in the Tulare City hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. Murphy Allen and Hortense Moore visited the home of their uncle, Bob Allen, last week.

There came near being a bad car wreck at Thompson's filling station Sunday evening when Dow Holt and Everett Richardson had a head-on collision.  Mr. Holt had his family with him and Orville Robertson was with Everett.  Fortunately, no one was hurt, but both cars were damaged.  Mr. Holt's being almost demolished.  In making these corners car drivers should keep on their own side of the road.

Tom Jeff Allen visited in the home of his nephews last week.  He has been living in California for some time and is here on a visit.

Walter Williams, who retired from the presidency of the Missouri state university in June, died at his home in Columbia Monday night of last week of a complication of diseases, which followed an attack of sciatica 18 months ago.  He was 71 years old.  The funeral was held Wednesday morning at the Columbia Presbyterian church of which Dr. Williams was long a member, and was conducted by the pastor, Rev. Joseph M. Garrison.  Dr. Williams, native Missourian who never attended college, was one of the most liberally educated men in American.  His most important and best remembered work was in the school of journalism which he organized in 1908, before any other American university had a separate department of this kind.  Boonville was his home town, its high school was his only alma mater, and the Boonville Topic, now remembered chiefly for its connection with his career, gave him his first job as printer's devil at 75 cents a week, when he was just out of school in 1879.

The tent meeting which is located on the corner of J. D. Woodward's farm started Sunday night with a large crowd.  Mr. Heck is doing the preaching.

Mrs. Maude Leach who lived here several years is now in Borger, Texas.

Roy and Ray Bennett bought a car Monday and turned it over and hurt their brother-in-law badly.

Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Wilder of Mansfield were Sunday afternoon guests of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Seaholm

Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Wade are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl born Friday, August 2, and Mr. and Mrs. Audrey Shinpaugh are the proud parents of a baby boy born Saturday, August 3.  Mrs. Shinpaugh is at the nome of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nelus Johnson.

Walter Crippen who has been working in Michigan came home for a visit.  While he was here he was married.  He was given an old fashioned charivari.

August 15, 1935:

Mr. and Mrs. Homer Bradshaw report the safe arrival of a baby girl in their home Monday morning.

Mrs. Archie Gann of Wolf Creek spent Wednesday with her mother, Mrs. Sarah McCall, in Norwood.

John Oliver, aged about 80 years, died Sunday in his home near Talmadge and was buried in Friendship Monday.  Death was caused by indigestion.

While preparing breakfast last Saturday morning Mrs. J. L. Scarborough broke an egg which had on the inside another perfectly formed egg.  The small inside egg had a soft shell but was otherwise just like any other egg.

While in Mountain Grove Saturday Rev. Will Anderson cranked his car while it was in reverse gear and it backed into the large plate glass front of the Sanitary Market, breaking the glass and doing other damage both to the store and the car.

What barely missed being a fatal accident happened on the street near the Shaw and Gregory produce houses Saturday afternoon about 5:45 o'clock when Matilda Means, small daughter of Editor and Mrs. Means, started to run across the street from J. N. Busby's office to meet her father on the other side of the street.  A parked truck prevented her from seeing a car coming from the north and but for the fact that the father saw the approaching car and motioned and called for her to stop, she would not doubt have run directly in front of it.  The driver of the car, Arley Walls, also saw her as he was almost upon her and cut his car to the right as far as possible.  Matilda tried to stop but could not in the short distance, and she stumbled and fell into the side of the moving car, making a grab for the door as she did so.  She was jerked down, her face striking the running board, and her two front teeth had pieces broken off, her upper lip ws cut, her chin bruised, and an one arm and one knee were skinned a little but she suffered no serious injuries.  Those who witnessed the accident expected to see her killed instantly and were gratefully surprised and relieved to find that she had escaped with only slight injuries.  Mr. Walls, who was in no wise to blame, was badly scared, and the child's father felt certain that it meant sure death when he saw her break and run toward him with the car approaching the the parked truck obstructing the view of both child and driver.

Walter Crippen and his new bride are here visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Crippen.  The young couple will make their future home at Boonville.

W. J. Farley died at a hospital in Eldorado, Kansas, Friday night as the result of injuries received in a motor car accident July 21, when the car in which he was riding collided with a truck near Eldorado.  His injuries were not thought to be serious at the time, but he was confined in the hospital until his death.  His home was in Parsons, Kans.  Mr. Farley was the stepfather of Elza Sisco of near Norwood.  Born in Pennsylvania January 19, 1874, he had resided in Kansas since 1918, living in Parsons the past two years.  Also surviving are the widow, the former Daisy Mae Sisco to whom he was married January 19, 1923 at Ava, Mo.; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Jewell McGaughey of Parsons, and his father, Frank Farley of Westfield, N.Y.

Two cars driven by Lowell Hightower and an unknown party collided on the hill north of the Goodville store.  The unknown car had only a broken windshield and bent fenders while Hightower's car had to set at the store until repairs could be ordered.

Arthur McLean helped Bill Kennedy cut a bee tree this week.

August 22, 1935:

The Ozark Southern railroad between Ava and Mansfield is being wrecked by the Stowell Construction Company of Kansas City, work being started late week.  The steel is being lifted and hauled to Mansfield to be loaded onto flat cars.  Two old engines in the Mansfield yards will be wrecked and sold as junk.  The depot and warehouses of the line will be sold or wrecked.  This road was built in 1908 by J. B. Quigley and associates.

Will Rogers, America's best loved humorist and actor, perished with Wiley Post when the latter's plane crashed in Alaska last Thursday.  Rogers was one of the most widely known men in the world and his death was a severe shock.

Missouri's old age pension law become effective August 27 and the State Eleemosynary Board, which will administer the act, announces that it will be ready by that time to start the old age pension in this state.

Marion Letsinger, living south of Mansfield, was fatally injured last Friday evening when he stepped from a moving truck in which he was riding.  Mr. Letsinger, in company with a number of others from his neighborhood, were going into Mansfield after supper to attend the Exposition there, and as they were crossing the overhead bridge across the Frisco tracks at the east side of Mansfield, his hat blew off.  The driver of the truck, Clayton Reece, it is said, was stopping the car to enable Mr. Letsinger to get out to recover his hat, but the latter stepped or jumped from the rear end while the vehicle was still moving.  His head hit the pavement, crushing his skull.  He was rushed to a Springfield hospital but only lived a few hours, passing away at 1:00 o'clock Saturday morning.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. M. Q. Kent of Dunn at Prairie Hollow Sunday afternoon and interment was at that place.  Mr. Letsinger was the father of Lillie Letsinger, who worked in the Dr. VanNoy home in Norwood a few years ago and who was later married to Ralph Rhoads of Brushy Knob.

From St. Joseph, Mo.:  Police Judge Joseph Sherman ruled that John Shepherd, 59 years old, was within his rights in administering an old-fashioned spanking to his daughter, Mrs. Nellie Evans, 30.  Shepherd's wife took the stand and said that she also had administered a spanking to the daughter.  The father had been arrested on a peace disturbance charge.  Mrs. Shepherd said the daughter, who lived with the parents, had been staying out late.

From Excelsior Springs, Mo.:  The rattlesnake in Aunt Mary Mitchell's house is dead, but his death appeared as a reptilian victory.  Orville Cox, 19 year old grandson of "Aunt Mary" dispatched the snake and this is how:  Following the sound of the rattle, young Cox took up the entire front porch, plank by plank.  Then he attacked the side of the house and tore off four planks before he found the rattler.  A hasty thrust with a pitchfork only irritated the snake, so Orville blazed away with both barrels of the family shotgun.  The snake died, about half the wall disappeared, Aunt Mary's china cupboard, and every dish the family owned was broken.

Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Cartwright are rejoicing over the arrival of a son at their home.

Gerald Brown and Miss Mabel Helums were quietly married July 20.  The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Helums and the groom is a son of Mrs. Wes Brown.  They will live with his mother.

Mr. and Mrs. Tom Turner who live on the Hill farm northeast of town report the arrival of a baby boy in their home Sunday morning.

A daughter was born Sunday morning to Mr. and Mrs. Terry Doyel, Jr., at the home of Mrs. Doyel's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Pugh, in Norwood.

Mr. and Mrs. Amos Filer, Mr. and Mrs. Willie Wymer and children, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Osbern and Mr. and Mrs. Claud Osbern visited Brown's Cave and the Twin Bridges Sunday.  Mr. Filer had the misfortune to have the cylinder head of his motor busted when he filled up with water near Gentryville on his return trip Sunday afternoon.  He had to be towed in home.

August 29, 1935:

Mr. and Mrs. Bert Hylton of southwest of Norwood are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy in their home Sunday.

Mrs. Ladella Kinney and son, John Charles, of Raymond, Nebraska, visited last week with Mrs. Louella Christy and Mr. and Mrs. Martin Oetting.  Mrs. Kinney and Mrs. Christy are sisters.

John Charles Kinney visited his cousins, Floyd and Ella Greenwood, Friday evening.

Those who attended the funeral of Mrs. Alta Findley, wife of W. O. Findley, who lived at Joplin, were Mr. and Mrs. James Findley, Mrs Jahue Frye, U. S. Findley, Mrs. Claude Smith, Mr. and Mrs. R. D. Findley, and Mr. and Mrs. Guy Findley.  Mrs. Findley was laid to rest in the Diamond Cemetery at Joplin.

Mr. and Mrs. B. J. Hyer and daughter, Winnie Lee, of Cheyenne, Okla., and Mrs. H. C. Meyer of Unionville, Mo., came Thursday for a visit in the Simon Sears home.  The two ladies are sisters of Mrs. Sears, who had not seen Mrs. Hyer for 29 years and Mrs. Myer for 12 years.  Mr. and Mrs. Hyer and daughter returned to their home Monday, but Mrs. Myer remained for a longer visit.

Turner Devault had visitors in his apple orchard Monday evening.  In their haste to get away when they saw Mr. Devault they left a bushel basket and some apples they had gathered.

September 5, 1935:

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Wymer are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy born Monday at the home of Mrs. Wymer's sister, Mrs. Bryan Snavely.

Application blanks were sent out the first of the week to the various county old age pension assistance boards, and these boards are now ready to receive applications for old age pensions.

Mrs. Myrtle Glasscock, of Cabool, died in a West Plains hospital Saturday and her body was brought to Norwood Sunday, funeral services being conducted at 3:00 o'clock that afternoon at the Christian church by Rev. J. C. Nininger, pastor of the Cabool Christian church.  Burial was in the Thomas Cemetery. Mrs. Glasscock was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Ray, former residents of Norwood.  She was about 26 years of age.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Vancil and baby arrived last week from California.  They will make their home in the Fairview neighborhood, we understand.

September 12, 1935:

Senator Huey P. Long of Louisiana, self-styled "Kingfish", died Tuesday morning in a hospital in Baton Rouge, La., of gunshot wounds suffered last Sunday when he was shot twice in the abdomen by Dr. Carl A. Weiss, young eye doctor, while passing through the corridor of the Louisiana State Capitol Building at Baron Rouge.  Weiss was killed by submachine gun fire by Long's body-guards.  Thus ended the career of one of the most colorful men of the day.  Long had gained complete control of his native state and many followers through out the nation through his "share the wealth" program, and was a potential presidential candidate. A bitter enemy of the New Deal, Long had said, in effect, that he would be a candidate for president next year whether or not the Democratic party nominated him.  Huey had the Louisiana State Legislature in its seventh special session since the last regular session in July, 1934, in order to pass legislation prohibiting the enforcement of unconstitutional measures of the National Government when he met his death.  The legislature, under the leadership of Long's successor, Governor O. K. Allen, is going ahead with the Kingfish's program.  Long's motto was "Every man a king and I the Kingfish."

Intended for last week:  The wedding bells were ringing in the Goodville neighborhood last Saturday night.  Charley Gilley and Esther Pendergraft, both of this community were quietly married in the home of J. F. Housley.

Mrs. Clara Addis of West Plains was here to see about her farm Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. Ray West, who are now living in Tulare, Calif., report the birth of a baby boy to them Monday morning.  Mrs. West was formerly Miss Gladys Absher.

September 19, 1935:

Willis Vancil, aged 70 years, a former citizen of this section of the state, died Sunday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Ted Luttrell, at Amorett, Mo.  Mr. Vancil had suffered some time with kidney trouble and a few weeks ago fell and broke his hip, never recovering from his injury.  The body was brought here Tuesday by the Booth funeral directors of Rich Hill and interment was in the Denlow cemetery that afternoon, funeral services being conducted in the church at Denlow by Rev. C. N. Means, of Norwood.  Mr. Vancil was a brother of Catherine Orender of Norwood and was the stepfather of Mrs. Elmer Ryan, both of whom, with their daughters, Miss Rose Marie Orender and Miss Florence Ryan, attended the funeral services Tuesday.

Willis Vancil was born in Jackson County, Ill., May 12, 1865.  He moved to Missouri with his parents at an early age and had lived here ever sine.  He died at Amorett, Mo., Sept 15, 1935.  He was united in marriage to Jane Woods March 8, 1888.  To this union 8 children were born, 5 of whom are still living, as follows:  Charley and Henry of California, Walter of Iowa, Elias of Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. Mattie Luttrell of Amorett, Mo.  One daughter, Mrs. Eliza Smith, died in 1916, and two children died in infancy.  The wife and mother passed away Sept. 18, 1925.  Deceased was a member of the Latter Day Saints church for several years.  Of the children, only Elias and Mrs. Luttrell were present for the funeral.

Mrs. Allen Kelley, better known as Grandma Kelley, passed away Wednesday night at the home of her son, Claude, and was buried in Fairview cemetery Thursday evening.

Several from around here went to Hartville last week to apply for old age pensions.

We are sorry to hear that Mrs. L. T. Hopper's brother, Morris Anderson, is dead.

We also hear that the Death Angel visited the Rasmus Hall home and took their baby, 19 days old.

September 26, 1935:

Mrs. Mary Robinson was given a life sentence in state prison by a jury in circuit court at Bolivar last Thursday night for conspiring in the murder of her husband, Robert Robinson, a farmer who lived near Marshfield.  The case was taken to Bolivar on change of venue from Webster County.

James Wilhite is in the county jail at Hartville charged with the brutal murder of his wife, Lola, and his mother-in-law, Mrs. Mattie Hutsell, at their home in Mountain Grove last Friday.  It is said that Wilhite was drinking heavily at the time of the crime.  He had gone to the home of his estranged wife, presumably to try to effect a reconciliation, when he became enraged and shot Mrs. Wilhite 4 times and then turned the gun on her mother, who was past 80 years old and totally blind.  He then shot himself in the head, inflicting only a scalp wound.  Wilhite was first taken to the Ryan hospital where it was found that his wound was not serious, and he was taken on to jail.  He is about 42 years old.  The funeral of the slain women was held at Mountain Grove Wednesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Ramie Bennett, near Olathe, are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy, born Saturday.

Mrs. Fred Archer of Mountain Grove died Monday at West Plains.  Funeral services and burial were at Mountain Grove Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Rook are the proud parents of a baby boy born a few days ago.

Charley Frye had quite a bad wreck Sunday when his engine died while going up a steep bank.  The car rolled backwards into a large ditch and turned over.  They were all scratched and bruised but none were seriously hurt.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Cole, Sunday, Sept. 22, a 10 lb. boy.  Mother and baby getting along fine.

October 3, 1935:

Last Saturday Dave Best of the Pleasant Hill community and Miss Florence Sisco, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wess Sisco of the Fairmount community, slipped away to Springfield and were quietly married, surprising their friends here.  Monday night about 50 of their friends and neighbors gave them a charivari and were treated to cigars and candy.  The happy couple are making their home at Mr. Best's farm.

E. F. Starr, formerly a partner with T. B. Bouldin in the furniture and undertaking business at Fordland, died very Suddenly at his home there at 9:15 Tuesday morning.  He was about 60 years old.

Mr. and Mrs. Gailon Adams of St. Louis report the birth of a boy to them last Friday.  The new arrival will answer to the name Thomas Merritt.  Mrs. Adams will be remembered as Miss Chloe Merritt, a former teacher in the Norwood high school.

Word has been received here that Clarence Harris, who was athletic coach and teacher in the Norwood high school last term, now has a position in the education department of the State Reform School at Boonville.  He is the second Norwood teacher to go there, E. Wayne Shannon being the present Superintendent of Education.

J. W. Haynes is not so well.  He is past 70 years old and has been going on crutches for more than 63 years.

Mr. Russell Stout and Miss Pansy Branstetter were quietly married Saturday afternoon at Mansfield by Mr. Ross.

Mr. and Mrs. Eli Stout spent Sunday in Mountain Grove visiting their daughter, Mrs. Jones, who was formerly Miss Mildred Stout.

A large crowd attended the public sale of W. W. Purkey Friday.  Mr. and Mrs. Purkey and children left Monday morning for Maryland where they will make their new home.

Lou Dora Ellis, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Ellis, was born Aug. 5, 1859 and departed this life Sept. 11, 1935, aged 76 years, 1 month and 6 days.  She was united in marriage to Allen W. Kelley, who is now deceased, in the year 1875.  To this union was born one son, Claude Kelley.  In her early life she professed faith in Christ and joined the Free Will Baptist church.  She leaves to mourn her departure her son, Claude; 4 grandchildren Geneva, Virgil, Garnet and Mason Kelley; 2 brothers, Andrew and J. C. Ellis of Dawson, Mo.; 2 sisters, Mrs. Henry Woods and Mrs. Isabel Grimes of Hartville, Mo.  Funeral services were preached by Rev. A. M. Halford and the body was laid to rest in the Olathe Cemetery.

October 10, 1935:

Friends in Mountain Grove were saddened to learn of the death of Mrs. Rachel Schofield, widow of the late Henry J. Schofield, her death occurring Saturday at the home of her son Garnett in Lebanon, Mo.  She had been an invalid for many years.  Funeral services were held at the Trinity M. E. church here at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, the Rev. Roland E. Darrow officiating.  Burial was in Hillcrest Cemetery.  Rachel Ammie Paden was born in Texas County, Mo. December 2, 1870, and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Paden.  She moved to Mountain Grove in 1883.  She was united in marriage to Henry J. Schofield on July 2, 1893 at Mountain Grove.  To this union were born 3 children:  Clyde H. Schofield, who resides in California; Opal McMillian, who resides at Springfield, Mo. and Garnett Schofield, who resides at Lebanon, Mo.  In 1898 Mrs. Schofield removed to Norwood, where she spent nearly all her married life.---Mountain Grove Journal

The Index editor will pay cash for a cord or two of dry four foot wood delivered at once.

Foster A. Rippee, formerly of Mansfield, but more recently of Bois D'Arc, has bought the F. J. Thompson filling station in Norwood from Leonard Pope and will take possession October 15.  Mr. and Mrs. Pope will move to Mansfield where Mr. Pope is employed as salesman with the Cudworth Chevrolet Co.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Heard are the proud parents of a 10 pound baby girl born Saturday night, October 5.

Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Smith have a new baby boy.

Mrs. Dickerson celebrated her 91st birthday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Terry Doyel.  A big dinner was spread at noon and several people were present.  Mrs. Dickerson has a living daughter 70 years old.

Will Greenwood made sorghum Friday for Bishop Babb, Mose Gray, Alva Gray and himself, making 135 gallons that day.  The sorghum is clear and good this year.  He has one more day of cooking.

New arrivals are reported as follows:  Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Rich, near Stony Point in Douglas County, a girl born Thursday.  Mr. and mrs. Doll Smith, also near Stony Point, a boy born Thursday.  Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Cones, a girl Friday.  Mrs. Cones is with her parents, Rev. and Mrs. Will Anderson, near Oak Forest.  Mr. Cones is working in Wyoming.

October 17, 1935:

Again the death angel came into our home and took our loving son and brother.  Amos Weimer was born August 10, 1905 in Wright County, Mo., and departed this life October 13, 1935 at the age of 30 years, 2 months and 3 days.  He had been suffering for some time with liver and kidney trouble.  He leaves to mourn their loss a mother; two brothers, John of Lockwood, Mo., and Roy of the home; a sister, Cora, of the home; a niece, Vernice of the home; one other niece and 3 nephews.  Two sisters and his father preceded him in death.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. Chadwell at the Assembly of God church in Norwood Monday afternoon and burial was in the Relaford cemetery. [Death certificate lists c.o.d. as stomach cancer.]

Mrs. J. E. Hart, Mrs. M. M. Lane and Mrs. J. A. Kempt attended the funeral of their brother, Charles Bruton, at Joplin Saturday.  Mr. Bruton passed away there Thursday.

Claude Dickerson and family have moved to the Watson Hensley place which was recently vacated by John Dixon and family who moved into the Margaret Bruton house east of the Christian church.

J. E. Kelley was exhibiting a star fish to friends here Friday.  The fist was caught off the California coast by Cleta Ridens and was sent to Mr. Kelley by Oscar Ridens.  It was in the shape of a star and was quite a curiosity to most people here.

Mr. and Mrs. Foster Rippee have rented the Grandma Hensley property in Norwood and moved here from Bois D'Arc Saturday.  Mr. Rippee and sons took charge of the Thompson filling station Tuesday.  They expect to make extensive improvements in the station and will later put in a lunch counter.

Uncle Berry Newton of the Odin neighborhood passed away at his home there Saturday evening at the age of 74 years and 10 months.  Mr. Newton was one of Wright County's best citizens and had spent his entire lifetime on the old home place near Odin.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Selph Jones Sunday afternoon at the Newton school house.  Mr. Newton was an uncle of Watson Hensley of Norwood and also of Foster A. Rippee who now operates the Thompson filling station here.

Mrs. Dain Sutherland's brother, Cecil Devault, is visiting her this week.

Harve Graves, Mr. Ford and Frank Sowersby are making molasses for Milton Long.  They made 50 gallons in one day.

Word was received last week of the arrival of a 6 1/2 lb. boy, born October 6th to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Coday of Kansas.

October 24, 1935:

William Pryor, father of John N. Pryor, Jr. and George Pryor, died October 15 at the age of 76 years.  Funeral services were conducted at the Pleasant Hill church near Hartville last Wednesday by Revs. George W. Schoot, Jr. and James E. Burney.

Christian Church Notes:  Sunday School showed an increase of 5 in attendance last Sunday.  You are invited to attend at all times.  If the known party who took part of the church's communion service from the church Saturday will return same, nothing more will be said.

The 5 months old baby of Mr. and mrs. Ed Shepard, north of town, died Tuesday evening.  The child was one of a pair of twins.

Bobby, 11 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Raney, who had been sick for some time with typhoid, passed away Thursday night.

Attorney and mrs. John C. Pope and young son, John Cox Pope, will leave Hartville this week to make their home in Marshfield where Mr. Pope will establish himself in the practice of law in Webster County.

Mrs. W. L. Butler and daughter, Patsy Ruth, left on the Sunnyland Tuesday afternoon for Hefflin, Ala., to attend the funeral of her father, H. A. Murray, who died rather suddenly of heart trouble at his home in Hefflin Tuesday morning.  Mr. Murray was 72 years old.

Robert Earl Raney, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Raney, was born March 14, 1924 and departed this life October 18, 1935, at the age of 11 years, 7 months and 4 days.  Bobbie leaves his parents; 3 brothers, Floyd, Lewis and Donald Raney; and a sister, Bonnie Jean Raney.  One brother, Hollis Raney, preceded Bobbie in death.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Homer Smith at the Christian church in Norwood, and burial was in the Thomas cemetery Saturday afternoon.

H. C. Jackson, local representative of the Roberts Marble Co., erected a beautiful 2300 pound monument Saturday at the grave of the late John T. Oliver at Friendship, north of Mountain Grove.  The Oliver family reside on the Hartville route north of Norwood.

Lee Ryan passed away in a Springfield hospital and was brought back here Oct. 11th.  Funeral was conducted at the Pentecost church by Rev. Jim Russell of Mansfield and the body was laid to rest in the Macomb cemetery.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Joe Snavely, a boy, Thursday, Oct. 17.  He has not been named yet.

October 31, 1935:

Circuit Court is in session at Hartville this week, and is attracting several Norwood citizens, either as witnesses or principals in a number of cases.  James Wilhite of Mountain Grove was tried Tuesday on the charge of murdering his wife and was found guilty by the jury which, however, was unable to agree upon the penalty, 4 being for hanging and 8 for a life sentence, it is reported.  The passing of the sentence was left up to Judge Skinker.  The case of Ralph D. Gentry against Harrison Strunk was being tried Wednesday.  The case went up on an appeal from J.P. court where Mr. Gentry was awarded certain damages against Strunk.  The case of Bill Hill, charged with assault on the person of C. R. Raney, was also to be tried Wednesday.  We go to press too early to give the results in these cases.

Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Henson of Coldspring are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl in their home Sunday night.

While duck hunting last Thursday, Lester Jones accidentally shot himself in the heel and has since been confined to his room.

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Shepherd's other twin baby passed away Saturday and was buried Sunday.  Mention was made last week of the death of one of the twins.

J. P. Cole and Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Allen and family attended the double birthday dinner at the Roscoe Allen home last Friday, it being Uncle Narve Allen's and Warren Lacy's birthday.  All seemed to enjoy the day, which was spent in song and prayer service.  Quite a crowd was there and a fine dinner was served.  Uncle Narve was 86 and Mrs. Lacy 83.

Mr. and Mrs. Paul Ryan are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy last Wednesday night.  It has been named Karl.  Mrs. Ryan is at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Julian Turgon.

Mrs. John Muse and 2 children of Mountain Grove visited part of last week in the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Allen, and attended the birthday dinner of her grandfather, Narve Allen.

November 7, 1935:

Sixty-one CCC camps will be located in Missouri during the 6-month winter period, it was announced recently by Robert Fechner, national director of Emergency Conservation Work.  Fifteen of the camps will be located in national forests in Missouri, 3 in state forests, 11 on state park projects, 25 on soil erosion prevention projects, 6 on drainage projects and 1 on a wild life conservation project.  This represents an increase of 26 camps over the average of the first two years.

There are now 22,514 more farms in Missouri than in 1930.  It is asserted that the Depression with consequent hard times for both the city laborer and the white collar job holder has worked a reversal in Missouri of the farm-to-city population flow of a decade ago.  Once they sought "big money" in the cities; now they seek assurance of sustenance in the country.

Judge N. M. Ball was in Hartville Monday and Tuesday attending the regular meeting of the county court.

Bill Allen, who recently returned from California, is again working for the Norwood Motor Transfer & Storage Co.

J. P. Snyder has in his possession an axe which has been in the family 65 years, having been purchased in North Carolina by Mr. Snyder's brother.

Frank Sowersby of near Macomb was exhibiting a stalk of cane in Norwood Saturday, which was 15 feet in length and which grew on his place this summer.

James Wilhite, convicted in circuit court last week of the murder of his wife at Mountain Grove, was sentenced by Judge Skinker to be hanged.  It is said that this will be the first hanging ever to take place in Wright County.  The case of Bill Hill, charged with assault, was continued, as was also the case of Ralph D. Gentry against Harrison Strunk for damages.

Andrew Worsham, who has been in Idaho and Washington for several months, returned home last week.  He brought back two black bears which have been attracting a lot of attention.  They are 8 months old.

Henry Woods, north of Mansfield, was shot through the foot Sunday with a .22 rifle.  Two boys were handling the gun and one was showing the other how it worked with it was accidentally discharged, the ball going through Mr. Woods' foot.  He was taken to the veterans' hospital at Fayetteville, Ark., for treatment.  Smith Fry accompanied him there.

Mr. Arthur Lund and Miss Ruth Boyer were united in marriage Friday afternoon at the home of Rev. and Mrs. Claude Smith, Rev. Smith performing the ceremony about 4:00 o'clock.

Elmo Freeman and Miss Lizzie Binley were married last Friday, October 25.  Elmo is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Freeman of Macomb and graduated from the Norwood high school last spring.  Lizzie is the daughter of Mrs. Lottie Binley and has been attending Norwood high school.  They were given a charivari on Monday night of last week.

Mrs. Roy Ballew received a message October 27 of the death of her father in North Missouri.  She left immediately.  On account of her mother being in poor health, Mrs. Ballew is staying with her a few days.

Mr. and Mrs. Harold Lindholm are the proud parents of a baby boy, born October 30.

Cecil Vining won second prize in the Kansas state corn husking contest and first in the county.  He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Vining of the Fairmount community.

Cecil Conley and Miss Cecil Andrews were recently married.

Ruby Thompkin was married recently to a boy near Ava.

From the way it smells around here, it seems that someone if a good hand at catching skunks.

A masquerade party was given at the new home of Mr. and Mrs. Ted Bruton Thursday night, and it was well attended.  A booby prize was given to the first one unmasked, which was Bill Broadus.  He was very snugly dressed.  The prize was a bottle of milk and a nipple.  A prize was awarded to the last person unmasked which was Artie Pruett.  The prize was a wash pan, bath towel and toilet soap.  There were 50 present and sandwiches and coffee were served.

November 14, 1935:

James Wilhite died in the Wright County jail at Hartville early Sunday morning from slow poisoning, it is reported.  He had been convicted of the murder of his wife, Lola Wilhite, at Mountain Grove September 20, and had been sentenced by Judge Skinker to be hanged.  It is said that Wilhite told Sheriff Claxton Saturday that he had taken poison.  In Judge Skinker's 18 years on the bench, this is the second man he had sentenced to be hanged, and each committed suicide before the date of execution.  A Dobb Adams, sentenced in Springfield for killing a policeman, was the other prisoner who took his own life.

Game wardens have been active around Norwood the past few days.  It is reported that a couple of boys were fined for hunting without a license, and some have been found with fur bearing animals penned up ahead of the season.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Davidson are rejoicing over the arrival of a 9 pound daughter Nov. 8.  She was given the name Vineta Jean.  Mrs. Davidson is at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Robertson.

Mr. and Mrs. Tip Owens are rejoicing over the arrival of a new baby boy Nov. 2.  His name is James Lowell.

Mr. and Mrs. Jim Bass are rejoicing over the arrival of an 11 pound baby boy in their home November 4.

November 21, 1935:

The first person to bring a fat hen to the Index office Saturday, November 23, will be given a year's subscription to the Index for same.  Instead of the early bird getting the worm, the bird's owner gets a bargain, the editor gets a square meal and the bird gets it in the neck.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Allen and son, Billy Gene, have moved into rooms located over the Jones & Little grocery store.

Judge A. L. Pope has gone to California to spend the winter, going with Clay Whitteker who drove through from Hartville last week.

According to the Journal, A. C. Pennington of Mountain Grove recently made a trip to the Bighorn Basin in Wyoming but finding the temperature there 12 degrees below zero, he hurried back to the Ozarks.

Robert Uhlman of Buckhart died Monday from a complication of diseases.  Funeral services are to be held Thursday of this week and interment will be in the Luellen Cemetery near Gentryville.  Deceased was about 65 years of age.

Mr. and Mrs. Reed Whitaker, who have occupied the Grandma VanNoy property since last February, moved to Mansfield last week.

Mr. and Mrs. E. P. Stewart and son of Plattsmouth, Nebr., were here Sunday, visiting Mrs. Stewart's parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Cobb north of town.  Mr. Stewart's mother died from a paralytic stroke at her home near Fordland last week and was buried there Saturday.

Miss Willie Jones and Ernest Goldsmith were quietly married at Hartville Friday, November 15.  The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Audrey Jones and the groom is the son of Mrs. Mary Garrison of Manes.  The young couple went to Manes Saturday morning to make their home on the groom's farm.

Mr. and Mrs. Trave Campbell and son, F. E., spent Sunday with Mr. Campbell's sister, Mrs. Guy Sellers, near Hartville.

November 28, 1935:

Mr. Curly Guliardo, the beloved husband of Agnes Jarrett, passed away in Pueblo, Colo., Nov. 20.

Saturday a Ford pickup occupied by Eph Moody and two sons, Howard and Donald, of Macomb, and Howard and Loyd Dodson of Norwood crashed into the concrete bannister of Whetstone bridge on highway 60 while travelling at a fast speed.  It is reported that Mr. Moody had one ear cut off and the side of his head and face badly hurt.  Donald Moody was also badly injured and Loyd Dodson had his head dangerously hurt and also sustained injuries to the back.  The Dodson boys are the sons of Mrs. Jim Bradshaw, living just south of Norwood.  It is said that the driver of the Ford was seeking to avoid collision with another car when the accident happened.

D. B. Thomas arrived Sunday morning from Springfield to visit his daughter, Mrs. Ray Whitteker, in Norwood.

A number from this community are working on the WPA road project near Green Mountain.  Two hundred men are employed on this project, working 5 hours per day.

Applicants for old age assistance in Missouri must pass a "score card" test before they will be eligible for pensions, according to a recent announcement by Allen M. Thompson, State Old Age Assistance Commissioner.  In explaining the test, he said the state desired to know the income of the applicants, their physical condition, assistance relatives and others are willing and able to give them, and general conditions in their community.  It is hoped this will determine the most needy to whom the pensions will be paid.

The community was again saddened when death called away Charles Owen.  Mr. Owen had been in the Goodville community for several years, making his home with Noel Sutherland before he moved to Ava.  For more than 3 years he has made his home with E. A. Ball where he was staying at the time of his death.  His body was sent to Pana, Illinois to be buried.

Mr. and Mrs. Sam Dennis are the parents of a baby girl.  Mrs. Dennis is at the home of her mother, Mrs. Nelson, at Macomb.

December 5, 1935:

While walking on the highway near Hartville Monday morning, Lum Adamson was hit by a car driven by Ralph Simmons, one leg being broken in two places, one ear torn off, and other serious injuries inflicted.  He was taken to a hospital at Lebanon in the Bouldin Ryan ambulance which was driven by Henry Bradshaw and on to Lebanon from there by Gene Holdren.  Mr. Simmons was slowing down to offer Mr. Adamson a ride when the latter ran in front of the machine.

Born to Dr. and Mrs. H. Jones Sunday at their home in Mountain Grove, a boy.

W. C. Ellis of Mountain Grove died at his home there Sunday.  Funeral services and burial were Tuesday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Ellis and Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Ellis attended the funeral of J. M.'s brother, W. C. Ellis, in Mountain Grove Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. John Pamperiene of near Buckhart are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl in their home early Monday morning.  Mrs. Pamperiene will be remembered here as Miss Opal Coonts.

J. N. Busby, Ray Whitteker, and C. N. Means were in Springfield Monday, visiting the WPA office there in the interest of Norwood's street and sidewalk projects which have not yet been approved at Jefferson City.

James Sears, 23 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Sears who live near Norwood, died at his home in Blackwell, Okla., Sunday morning from an attack of pneumonia.  His mother reached his bedside only a few hours before he passed away.  Funeral services were held at Blackwell Wednesday and interment was at that place.  He leaves a young wife, a bride of only 6 months.

Bill Broadus is an accommodating chap.  Sunday he left his house unlocked while he and family visited Mrs. Broadus' mother, Mrs. Viola Smallwood, in Norwood, thus making it easy for some good [?] neighbor to help himself to the cream and eggs which were in the house.

The little son of Mr. and Mrs. Lew Rook passed away Sunday, December 1, after a few days' illness with pneumonia.  Little Floyd was just 2 months old and died at the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Andy Strunk.  Mrs. Rook is on the sick list.

Mrs. Wess Sisco received word that her sister in Oklahoma was very low.  The doctor has given her up.  She is in the hospital at Prior, Okla.

Saturday and Sunday were our regular church meeting days.  While attendance was small Saturday, the house was well filled Sunday.  Baptismal services followed at the close of the morning services when Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Hill, Mr. and Mrs. Arvis Dixon, Archie Douglas and Dala Rhoads were baptized by our pastor Rev. Leonard Rhoads.

December 12, 1935:

J. H. Sanner, retired businessman and long time resident of Norwood, passed away at his home here at 6:30 Wednesday morning at the age of 82 years.  Funeral services will be conducted at the Baptist church at 1:30 Thursday afternoon by Rev. G. Chadwell and interment will be in the Thomas Cemetery with the Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors in charge.  Mr. Sanner's son, W. A. Sanner, died at his home in Poplar Bluff a year ago Wednesday.

Last Wednesday night about 9:30 a car driven by Elmer Mankin of Gainsville collided with a truck of the Eden Transportation Co. of Thayer on highway 60 two miles east of Norwood.  Mr. Mankin was accompanied by his wife and two children, one 7 years old and the other a 9 months old baby, and they were enroute to Tulsa, Okla.  Mr. Mankin suffered a sprained left wrist and shoulder and the small of his back, and Mrs. Mankin's chest was bruised and her back sprained.  They received medical aid from Dr. L. T. VanNoy.  The children were not injured.  The accident is said to have been caused by defective lights on the truck and also by the fact that it was on the wrong side of the road.

Mrs. Ben Barnes of Brushy Knob was killed last week when the family car turned oven in Arizona while they were enroute home from California.  The body was brought home for burial at Brushy Knob cemetery.  Her daughter was seriously hurt and was taken back to the home of her sisters in California.

Noble Leach had the misfortune of upsetting his car one night last week.  The only damage done was a bent fender and some glass broken from the windows and windshield.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Schlicher departed for Wichita, Kansas, Thursday night to be at the funeral of their little granddaughter who passed away with pneumonia fever.

Lum Adamson of this community, who was hit by a car on highway No. 5 last Monday, died in the Lebanon hospital last Wednesday.  The body was buried in the Wolf Creek cemetery.

We understand that the CCC camp near Cabool has closed and that after December 15 it will be turned into a hobo camp.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Thomas report the arrival of a new girl in their home northwest of town last Friday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Calhoun of northwest of town are rejoicing over the arrival of a new boy Saturday night.

Rev. E. H. Rhoads of Brushy Knob recently received a telegram from California telling of his brother, John, getting killed.  No particulars were given.

William Huffman died last Thursday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Homer Roy, several miles southwest of Norwood and was buried in Prairie Hollow cemetery Friday.

Mrs. W. L. Butler returned home Saturday night from Heflin, Ala., where she was called by the serious illness of her brother who died following an operation for appendicitis.  He passed away at 6:20 Friday morning and Mrs. Butler did not reach there until 9:30.

Dr. and Mrs. L. T. VanNoy, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. George C. Murrell of Hartville, called to see the new baby at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Pamperiene near Buckhart Sunday afternoon.  Betty Joan is the name to which the youngster will answer.

About 8:00 Saturday night while Miss Inita Helsley, accompanied by Miss Thelma Jean Butler of Norwood and Virgil Barthlowe of Mountain Grove, was driving to Claude Sumner's west of town, she ran her car into a ditch near the Walter Kempt home.  The car turned over twice but luckily none of the occupants were seriously hurt.  The car was damaged some.

December 19, 1935:

Mr. and Mrs. Marion Huffman of Hartville are rejoicing over the safe arrival of a 7 1/2 pound baby girl last week.  Mr. Huffman is perhaps just a little disappointed as he was expecting a big league ball player.

James Henry Sanner was born in Mississippi October 22, 1853; departed this life December 11, 1935---age 82 years, 1 month and 20 days.  He moved to Tennessee when a youth, was united in marriage to Oranie Clementine McConnell at Savannah, Tennessee, in 1872.  He with his wife and one child, Willie, moved to Missouri in 1875.  He homesteaded near Lowassie in Shannon County, which was his home for 25 years.  Here at the old homestead 9 of his 11 children were born, one little one having departed this life while they were yet in Tennessee.  The old homestead was noted for its hospitality both to the hungry stranger as well  as to friends; and especially anyone who came to proclaim the Gospel was directed to this home.  In 1900 he moved to Birch Tree, Missouri, where he resided until he moved to Alton in 1904.  He moved to Norwood in 1905 where he had lived the past 30 years.  He was in business here until he retired on account of poor health in 1920.  He professed hope in Christ at about the age of 12.  In 1878 he with his companion were baptized into the fellowship of New Hope Missionary Baptist church in Shannon county.  He was also a member of the Birch Tree and Alton Baptist churches.  Soon after coming to Norwood he united with the First Baptist church where he was a member at his death.  His companion and 9 children had preceded him to the "Home not made with hands."  The family group there is almost compete.  There are only 2 left---one son, Lieut. Comdr. J. E. Sanner, U.S.N., of San Diego, California, and one daughter, Viola C. Nall of Norwood.  We are that are left know that soon we will meet to complete the family circle so broken here.  He leaves 2 children, 15 grandchildren, 3 great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Florence LaRue of Springfield attended the funeral of her grandfather, J. H. Sanner.

Clyde Steinert, who has met the trains and carried the mail between the depot and the post office for the past several months, has resigned.  Connolly Rippee has taken his place.

Mrs. Sluder, mother of W. R. Green, of Norwood has recently received word from her brother, J. R. Boydstun, from whom she had not heard for nearly 40 years.  Mr. Boydstun now lives at Fort Worth, Texas.  The Boydstun family was broken up and separated in Texas in 1897 and not long after that the brother and sister lost track of each other.  Recently another sister, Mrs. Yeakel, was attending a church convention in Fort Worth and while there got in touch with the brother, sending a report of the happy reunion to Mrs. Sluder.

Mr. and Mrs. Barney Smith of near Mansfield were called here last week on account of the death of Mrs. Smith's brother-in-law, J. H. Sanner.

While hauling wood Friday, Walter Hylton, living southwest of town, suffered a badly broken right arm and numerous bad bruises when he was thrown from the wagon as his team ran away.  The team started to run and in reaching for the lines, Mr. Hylton lost his balance and fell from the loaded wagon.  Dr. VanNoy set the broken bones and the patient is getting along very nicely.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Sowersby are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy Friday morning.

Mrs. McAfee, mother of Mrs. Will Ford, died at 4:00 o'clock Monday morning after a short illness.

Mr. and Mrs. Loyd McAllister report the birth of a 12 pound daughter December 16, with Dr. VanNoy as attending physician.

December 26, 1935:

Missouri's old age pension checks may not arrive at the homes of the needy before early in 1936, but when they do they will be checks of considerable size.  The offices of the attorney general in Jefferson City recently ruled that pension payments will start the first day of the month following filing of applications.  This will make many pensions retroactive to October 1, with perhaps as much as 3 or 4 monthly payments due when the state begins sending out checks to the aged.

Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Hart had their Christmas Saturday and Sunday.  Lola and Goldie came home for 2 days.  Saturday night Neva called on the phone from Cincinnati and Oscar from Dallas, Texas, and Sunday night their second son, Clifton, called from Oklahoma City, announcing the arrival of a grandson, named for his grandfather.  Cecil and family were down from Springfield.  So they got to talk to all of their children even if three had to talk on the phone.

Thomas D. Schall, blind U. S. Senator from Minnesota, died Sunday morning at Washington as the result of injuries received when he was hit by an automobile last Thursday night.  He was 58 years old.  He is the third senator to meet a violent death in 1935.  Senator Cutting of New Mexico was killed in an airplane crash and Senator Long of Louisiana was assassinated.

Juanita, 3 day old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Loyd McAllister died Wednesday and was laid to rest Friday in the Fairmount cemetery.  A minister from Mountain Grove conducted the service.

January 2, 1936:

Charles Padgett, who lived with his sister, Miss Grace, on the old Peterson farm east of Norwood, died very suddenly Sunday afternoon about 2:30 o'clock.  He had gone to the barn and was found there by his sister.  When she reached his side he was slumped over in a helpless condition but was still able to speak.  She ran and called for help to get him to the house but he lived only a short time.  Mr. Padgett would have been 58 years old May 25, 1936, and had never been married.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. E. Brook Tuesday afternoon at the Christian church in Norwood and burial took place Wednesday in Mt. Olivett cemetery near Adrian, Mo.  The body was taken to Adrian by Gene Holdren in the Bouldin-Ryan hearse.  This is the third member of the family to die in the past 5 years.  Formerly there were 2 brothers, the sister, and their mother living together, but now only the sister, Miss Grace Padgett, is left.

After a short illness from an attack of pneumonia, Joseph B. Hylton ("Uncle Joe", as he was called by all) passed away Wednesday, December 25, at his home 5 miles south of Olathe and was laid to rest in Fairview cemetery Sunday afternoon.  Rev. Atkinson of Cabool officiated.  Burial was under direction of the Clinkingbeard Undertaking Co. of Ava.  The children were all present for the funeral except one daughter, Mrs. Robinson of California, who was unable to come.

Jim Cole and son, Fay, of Ottawa, Kans., are spending their holidays here with relatives and friends.  Jim is now rejoicing over the news of the arrival of his first grandchild, a 7 pound girl, born December 27 to Mr. and Mrs. Basil Cole at Ottawa.

Lesta and Lena Allen spent Christmas with their sister, Mrs. John Muse, at Mountain Grove.

We are glad to report Mrs. Ed Royal able to be out again.  She spent Christmas day in the home of her father, George Findley, on Whetstone.  Mrs. Royal ran a nail into her foot and had been laid up for some time.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Dobyns of Denlow, Monday, a boy.

A still-born baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Nova Sears Tuesday.

Mrs. J. P. Book has sold her cafe to John Cramer.  Mrs. Book has not yet decided what she will do in the future.

The wedding of Mr. Lester Hart of Springfield and Miss Anna Moore, which took place some time in October, has only recently been announced.

Mr. and Mrs. Orvil Land, living north of Mansfield, report the arrival of a baby girl in their home Tuesday.  Mrs. Land was formerly Miss Erma Raney of north of Norwood.

Hon. Arthur Curtis and son were here from Springfield Monday to visit Mr. Curtis' uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. O. L. Curtis.  He brought them a new radio which they are greatly enjoying.

Mr. VanNoy Murrell, son of Mr. and Mrs. George C. Murrell of Hartville, was united in marriage Christmas night to Miss Eleanor Richhart at the home of the bride's parents at Aurora.  Rev. Merle Mitchell, brother-in-law of the groom, performed the ceremony by the reading of the single ring service.  The young couple will reside in Kansas City where Mr. Murrell has employment.

Ruby Mitchell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Mitchell of Hartville, and Everett Lawhorn of Chelsea, Okla., were united in marriage December 19 at Chelsea.  Mrs. Lawhorn graduated from Hartville high school and taught two terms of school near her home.  They home will be in Chelsea.

January 9, 1936:

Aunt Lib Nichols, 83, died last week at her home in Hartville, where she was a pioneer resident.  Funeral services and interment were Sunday.

Last week Mr. and Mrs. Dan Shields moved from the white elephant building east of the undertaking parlors to the house opposite Green's filling station on highway 60.

John Neukirk, formerly of near Norwood but now living near Houston, is cutting his third set of teeth.  Mr. Neukirk has one tooth through on each side of the upper jaw and says his gums have the appearance to indicate that other are coming.  He is almost 60 years old.

Cash Jackson of Mountain Grove was in Norwood Monday interviewing the boys relative to his prospective candidacy for sheriff of Wright County on the Republican ticket.  Cash is a home boy who will received strong support in this section should he decide to cast his hat into the ring.

Mrs. Eli McIntosh, aged 81 years, passed away Monday night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lottie Binley, south of Macomb.  Funeral services were held Wednesday at the Macomb Baptist church with Rev. Leonard Rhoads in charge and interment was in the McIntosh cemetery northwest of Norwood.  Mrs. McIntosh was a sister to France Smith of this place.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors were in charge.

Sunday evening as Doc Caudle was driving on the street near the Worsham filling station he ran into a car driven by Carl Cramer.  Ernest Jones, who was riding with Cramer, was cut and bruised considerably, Dr. VanNoy having to take five stitches in his head to sew up the wound.  The radiator of the Cramer car was caved in and he glass in the windshield broken out.

The chicken thieves visited the West Campbell neighborhood last Monday night and took about 60 chickens from Mrs. Mary Neukirk, leaving her a very few.  It keeps everyone wondering who will have the visitors next.

Mr. and Mrs. Ed McIntosh are the proud parents of a baby boy born January 3.  This is their 4th boy.

January 16, 1936:

Married at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Anderson, south of Norwood, at 2:00 o'clock Sunday afternoon, January 12, were Miss Hortense Moore and Mr. Lloyd Long, both of Norwood.  Miss Beulah Vaughan and Charley Rowland acted as bridesmaid and best man.  Rev. J. W. Anderson officiated.

Sarah Catherine Smith was born in Green County, Tenn., in 1854.  Died at Macomb, Mo., Jan. 6, 1936, at the age of 81 years.  She was united in marriage to Eli McIntosh in 1872.  To this union were born 12 children, 5 of whom have preceded her to her Heavenly home.  She was a member of the Free Will Baptist church.  Funeral services were conducted at the Macomb Baptist church by Rev. Leonard Rhoads January 8th, and interment was in the Mozier McIntosh cemetery.

The Pleasant Hill Community was again saddened by the death of Mrs. Lydia Ferry, which occurred in Hartville Monday, Jan. 6.  It was one of the saddest funerals this writer ever attended.  Not a relative was present, and from the looks of the situation, not a friend.  Mrs. Ferry had plenty left to have kept her the rest of her life, at the death of her husband and brother, had it been used for that purpose.  Instead the poor old soul was sent to the poor house to suffer and die.  This should be a great lesson to everyone, especially those who attended the funeral.  The funeral was held at Fairview church of which she had been a faithful member for many year.  The service was conducted by Bro. Ed Brook, after which her body was laid to rest beside her husband, C. C. Ferry, and he brother, Jack Shaw, in the Strunk Cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Donald Shelton are the proud parents of a baby boy who arrived January 10.  Mrs. Shelton was formerly Miss Ruth Pope.

The farm house on the Miller place, occupied by Ramie Bennett and family, was completely destroyed by fire with its contents Wednesday night while the family was attending church at Fairview.

Mrs. Oliver Hicks died Sunday night at her home southeast of Denlow.

Ira Ward of Ft. Worth, Texas, ate dinner here last Thursday with his cousin, F. A. Rippee.

January 23, 1936:

Mr. and Mrs. Orpha Woods of southeast of Norwood report the arrival of a baby girl in their home Sunday morning.

Marshall, Carl and John Cramer left last week for Colorado to seek employment.  John sold his cafe to Lester Jones.

A marriage license was issued at Ava last week to Mr. Lee E. Calhoun and Miss Edna Johnston, both of near Norwood.  Miss Johnston is the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Johnston and Mr. Calhoun is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Calhoun.

A license was also issued to Mr. Willie Coonts and Miss Nellie Mae McCoy of south of Norwood.

Rev. J. R. Bogart of near Mansfield spent Monday night with Rev. and Mrs. William Fox in Norwood.  Rev. Bogart is doing some work for Southwest Baptist College of Bolivar in Wright County this week.

Mrs. Ernest Miller received a message Tuesday that her father, William Rogers, had died that day at his home at Strathmore, Calif.  Mrs. Miller left Tuesday night for California.  Mr. Rogers had been in poor health for a long time.

King George V of England died Monday night at the age of 70 years.  The Prince of Wales is now King and will be known as Edward VIII.  Funeral services for George V will be held next Tuesday.

Mrs. Allie Cole returned home Sunday from a few days' stay with her aged mother in the Ezra Dennis home near Mansfield.  She also assisted in the care of the new 8 1/4 pound baby girl born January 7 to Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Dennis.  The baby was named Patricia Sue.

January 30, 1936:

Norman Victor Quillen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Quillen, was born April 9, 1932; departed this life January 22, 1936, at the age of 3 years, 9 months and 13 days.  He is survived by his father and mother, 2 younger brothers, Paul and Jimmie; one grandfather; two grandmothers.  Funeral services were conducted Friday, January 24, by Rev. Selph Jones at the Community church and the remains laid to rest in the Curtis cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Mears are the proud parents of a baby boy, born January 17.

Mrs. Wess Sisco's sister who had been sick for so long passed away at her home near Inola, Okla., Sunday, January 19, and was buried in the Pryor cemetery.  She leaves a husband and two children, Paul and Leta Mae.

We were sorry to hear of Mr. Rogers' death in Strathmore, Calif.  Mr. Rogers once lived on a farm in the Shiloh community, and also had a country store, afterward buying the Olathe store where he stayed until he decided to go West.  He was an accommodating merchant and had a host of friends here.

The Pleasant Hill home economic club had a special meeting at Mrs. Tillie Cale's Friday, with 8 members present, to make quilts and clothing for the William Sanders family, who lost their house and contents by fire last Wednesday.

February 6, 1936:

Mrs. Nathan Graves, better known as Aunt Martha Jane, died at the Graves home in Macomb Monday evening at 6:00 o'clock.

The William Sanders family moved back home Monday.  They have been scattered among the neighbors since their house burned about 2 weeks ago.  The neighbors gathered last Wednesday and helped them fix the barn loft so they could live in it until some other way could be provided.

Mrs. Marie Freedholm died Saturday morning.  She was past 82 years old and had been ailing for years.

Mrs. Donald Shelton is still on the sick list.  Their new baby has been named Donald Coy.

February 13, 1936:

Mr. and Mrs. F. A. Rippee and son, John, and Mrs. Emma Oliver attended the funeral of Hosea Newton at the Baptist church in Mansfield Sunday.  Rev. D. S. Jones preached the funeral sermon and interment was in the Mansfield cemetery.  Mr. Newton, oldest son of P. W. Newton, died at his home in Maywood, Calif., February 3.  He was 46 years of age at time of death.

Funeral services for Johnny B. Huffman, 33, chief clerk of the Big Lake Oil Company at Texon, Texas, who died last week of injuries received in an auto wreck, were held from Massie Chapel here yesterday and burial was in Belvedere Memorial Park.  The Rev. A. E. Arnfield, local pastor, officiated.  Members of the office force of the oil company served as pallbearers.  Many friends from Texon attended the services.  There were 114 floral tributes.  Survivors include the widow, 2 daughters, the parents, and 4 brothers.---San Angelo, Texas, Times.

John Bernard Huffman was born in Norwood, Mo., September 7, 1901.  Died January 26, 1936, in Texon, Texas, hospital.  He leaves to mourn their loss His wife and 2 daughters, Joanne and Charlotte Lou, of Texon, Texas; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Huffman of Norwood; 4 brothers Joseph of Berkeley, Calif., Kenneth of Martinez, Calif., Marion of Hartville, Mo. and Max of Norwood.  He was laid to rest in Belvedere Memorial cemetery in San Angelo, Texas.

Judge L. W. Hensley, former judge of the county court of this county and a Baptist minister, was quietly married at his home here Tuesday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock.  Judge E. L. Colton pronouncing the ceremony. The Judge's bride is Mrs. Ollie Rayborn of Tulsa, Oklahoma, who arrived here shortly before the ceremony.  Mrs. Hensley is a native of this county and was one of the Mansker girls.  Despite the cold weather quite a number of the Judge's friends gathered that evening to treat them to a charivari.  They will make their home in Hartville.---Wright County Republican

Samuel Simmons, 74, died in the Springfield Baptist hospital Saturday morning.  Mr. Simmons, who lived with his son, Ray, on the old Oxley Colson farm 4 miles northeast of Norwood had been suffering with kidney trouble for some time and was taken to the hospital January 29.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. M. Walker at the Christian church in Norwood and interment was in the Thomas cemetery Monday afternoon.  The Bouldin-Ryal funeral directors had charge of arrangements.

Marsha Ben Absher, genial city peacemaster, has been absent from duty for several days, being confined to his home of a heart ailment of which he has recently been a chronic sufferer---but the Absher's misfortunes do not end here.  Mrs. Absher has been ill for some time with measles.  Last Friday evening fate struck the final (we hope) blow as their little son, Floyd, member of the 3-year-old twins, stumbled and fell into a bucket of hot coals, severely burning one of his arms and searing one of his eyes.  The child's condition is reported improved as we go to press and the eyesight, which was feared lost, will probably be restored to normal.---Seymour Citizen

Paul Clifford Ridens, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Ridens of Coldspring, was born October 10, 1923, and departed this life February 5, 1936, at the age of 12 years, 4 months and 26 days.  He leaves a father, mother, one sister, 4 half sisters, 4 half brothers.  Funeral services were held at the home by Rev. Will Anderson Thursday morning at 11:30 and burial was in Community Hall cemetery.

From a California newspaper:  Lindsay, Calif., January 22:  William M. Rogers, 74, a native of Virginia and a citrus grower in this district for the last 13 years, died at his ranch home near here yesterday.  Surviving him are his widow, Mrs. Christena Rogers; 11 children, Willard Rogers, Lindsay; Oliver, Ray and Eldon Rogers and mrs. Claude Hawthorne, all of Strathmore; Marvin Rogers, Corcoran; Mrs. H. Ferriel, Long Beach; Roxie Rogers and Mrs. Myrtle Hylton, of Washington state; Mrs. Vida Davis, Arizona; and Mrs. Bertha Miller, Norwood, Mo.; 2 brothers John and George Rogers, Lindsay; 48 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.  Funeral services for Rogers, who had been a member of the Christian church for 55 years, will be held Friday afternoon at 3:00 o'clock in the local Christian church with Rev. Roy B. Shaw officiating.  Burial will be in the Olive cemetery.

Mr. Dick Hanna and Mrs. Alta Sullens were married in Hartville last Thursday.

The two months old baby of Mr. and Mrs. E. Quessenberry who had pneumonia passed away last week.

Mrs. Edward Cheever received a telegram Friday from Chicago, telling of the sudden death of her brother.  She left that day to attend the funeral.

Funeral services were held in Macomb last Wednesday afternoon for Mrs. Nathan Graves, who died at her home here Monday.  Burial was in Macomb cemetery.

Funeral services were held in Hartville Wednesday for Raymond Sullivan who died in Kansas City.  He was the son of Jim Sullivan, former teacher at Macomb school and many years a Wright County resident.

Fred Souder, carrier on the star mail route out of Norwood, attended the funeral of his half-brother, George W. Souder, in Ozark county Friday.  Deceased passed away at his home in Salem last Wednesday.  He was 68 years of age.

Russell Graves was called him from the Navy last Tuesday to attend the funeral of his grandmother, Mrs. Nathan Graves.

February 20, 1936:

Eber Eugene McAfee was born in Athens county, Ohio, March 16, 1858, being 77 years, 10 months and 28 days old at the time of his death on February 13, 1936.  He was married to his deceased wife, Mary Elizabeth Carey, July 27, 1884, and to this union 4 children were born.  All are living:  Charles Elmo of Rogersville, Mo.; William LeRoy of Bakersfield, Calif.; Viola Artie Ford of Macomb; and Rachel Bailey of Sierra Madra, Calif.  He was converted at an early age and joined the Missionary Baptist church.  He leaves to mourn his going 4 children; 2 sisters, Mrs. Maggie Anerson and Mrs. Loretta Lucas; 2 brothers, John and Lester McAfee; and 4 grandchildren.  One sister, Mrs. Ella Dickinson, preceded him in death.

Mr. and Mrs. Jack Bradshaw are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby boy last Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. Tom Hopper of the Stony Point district in Douglas county report the arrival of a 9 1/2 pound boy in their home Sunday morning.

Relatives here had received the announcement of the birth of a 6 1/2 pound girl February 13 to Mr. and Mrs. Jean Ocheltree of Kansas City.  Mrs. Ocheltree will be remembered as Miss Zelma Wimberley.

Miss Elizabeth Marlin, 17, died a week ago last Friday in a Springfield hospital from an attack of meningitis.  Seymour schools were closed last week as a matter of precaution, but as no other cases of the disease developed, the schools were opened again Monday.

D. J. Swing, 80, passed away Wednesday morning at 9:50 o'clock at his home in Norwood after an illness of several months.  His son, Belvin, and daughter, Mrs. J. R. Snyder, of Worland, Wyoming, are expected to arrive here today (Thursday), having started Tuesday afternoon.  Funeral arrangement are not complete; but will be with Masonic rites, probably Friday or Saturday.  Rev. Selph Jones will preach the funeral sermon.

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Blevins died last Sunday and was laid to rest in the Lone Star cemetery Monday. [named Orley David, b. & d. Feb. 8, 1936, lived only 5 hours, parents Leonard Rudolph and Helen (Hinton) Blevins]

Will Freeman, mail carrier on route 2 out of Mountain Grove, had a car accident last Monday.  The car was badly damaged and Mr. Freeman suffered some injuries.

Mrs. Ford's father died Thursday night.  Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon and burial was in the Macomb cemetery.  His wife died just before Christmas.

Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Bartley have a new radio.  Mr. and Mrs. Claude Smith have one also.

Mrs. Henry Claxton, 69, passed away at her home near Hartville Monday.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. S. Jones Wednesday at the Freewill Baptist church in Hartville and interment was in the Hartville cemetery, with the Bouldin-Holdren funeral directors in charge.  Mrs. Claxton was a pioneer resident of the community in which she lived.  She and Mr. Claxton had been married 51 years.

February 27, 1936:

Marriage Licenses:  Hall Hensley, 22, Mansfield and Velma Pryor, 21, Hartville; Wess Carder, 50, Rayborn and Menona Wilson, 48, Rayborn; Burke Dennis, Mansfield and Lois Cottengim, Hartville.

Cy C. Craig, superintendent of the Lawson schools, has been appointed by State Superintendent Lloyd W. King as a member of the county textbook commission for a term of 2 years.

David Jacob Swing was born February 1, 1856, near Lexington, Davidson county, N. C., where he grew to manhood.  He died February 19, 1936 at Norwood, Mo., being 80 years and 18 days of age.  On April 27, 1876, he was united in marriage to Margaret Roxana Kirkman of Greensboro, N. C.  To this union 8 children were born, 7 of whom survive him.  One daughter, Mrs. James Wticher, having preceded him in death January 5, 1905.  He and his wife united with the Methodist church at High Point, N. C., in 1886.  For more than 30 years he was a member of the Masonic Lodge and always took great interest in their activities.  Until afflicted with paralysis 7 years ago, he took great delight in singing hymns and was often a group leader.  He spent about 33 years in the railway service, being connected with the Southern Railway in various places, and alter superintending the building and supervising the operation of the Register and Glenville Railroad in Georgia.  In 1907 he retired from the railroad service and in 1909 moved to Norwood where he spent the last years of his life.  He leaves to mourn their loss his wife; 3 daughters, Mrs. J. R. Snyder of Worland, Wyo., Mrs. Edd Jarrett of Mountain Grove, and Mrs. D. B. Grimes of St. Louis, Mo.; 4 sons, David Robert of Northview, Mo.; Charles Henry of Charlottesville, Va.; Kerey Belvin of Worland, Wyo.; and Zeno Jacob of Norwood; 31 grandchildren; 9 great-grandchildren; a brother, A. H. Swing of Ashboro, N. C.; and a sister, Mrs. Bettie Louisa Crotts of Lexington, N. C.  Funeral services for Mr. Swing were held at the family home in Norwood Sunday afternoon with Rev. D. S. Jones of Mansfield delivering the sermon.  Interment was in the Thomas cemetery with Masonic rites.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge of arrangements.

Dr. VanNoy was called last Wednesday evening to administer first aid to Tom Caudle of north of town.  It is alleged that Mr. Caudle was hit on the head by Francis Pautz, a neighbor.  It is said that a dog belonging to Pautz had killed some goats belonging to Caudle, and the latter was accused of poisoning the dog.  This resulted in trouble between the two.  Caudle is confined to his home as a result of the fracas.

T. B. Bouldin of Norwood and Gene Holdren of Hartville are planning at rip to St. Louis in the near future for the purpose of buying new furniture.  Mr. Bouldin informs us that he is getting ready for a big sale of new and used furniture.  If you need anything in that line, it will pay you to wait until you see his announcement.

Orris Worsham of near Dawson was fatally injured Saturday evening when the car in which he was riding was wrecked on the Dawson hill.  Mr. Worsham, a nephew of Andrew Worsham of Norwood, died from his injuries Sunday nigh.  Funeral services were to be held Thursday of this week at Friendship Baptist church.  Deceased is survived by a wife and 6 children.  The car was completely demolished in the wreck.

A 7 pound baby boy, Donald Joe, arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Young of Sapulpa, Okla, February 12.  Mrs. Young will be remembered as Vilora Coble.

Andrew Sisco passed away Friday afternoon at his son, Lester Sisco's, home near Coldspring, and was buried in the Coldspring cemetery Saturday.  He was sick only a short time.

J. J. Jones is having a building erected between the Ryan bank building and J. N. Busby's office. W. H. Kelley will operate a barber shop in the new room.

James Brazeal, aged 81 years, 6 months and 18 days, died at Macomb early Tuesday morning.  He was the grandfather of Mrs. Bill Caudle of Norwood.

March 5, 1936:

Richard Gosvenor was born in Miller County, Missouri, in 1866.  When he was a young man he came with his parents to Wright county where he lived until his death on Friday, February 28, 1936, at the age of 69 years, 10 months and 2 days.  In 1889 he was married to Cora J. Caudle who survives him. To this union were born 3 children, Elmer Gosvenor and Mrs. Dolly Swing, both of Norwood, and Lillie who preceded him in death 28 years ago.  He leaves 4 grandchildren, Lois, Hazel and David Swing and Oda Gosvenor; 4 sisters, Mrs. Lizzie Ussery of Mountain Grove, Mrs. Celia Tharp of Durham, California; Cynthia McCann of Kansas City, Mo.; and Mrs. Rettea Robinson of Norwood; 2 brothers Marion Gosvenor of Pacioma, Calif., and George Gosvenor of Manpa, Idaho.  He professed hope in Christ at the age of 18.  Later in life he joined the Free Will Baptist church and remained a member until death.  He told his son, Elmer, the evening of his death that he was ready to go, requested that Bro. Chadwell preach his funeral and Bro. Tommy Mead lead the singing.  Funeral services were conducted at Caudle church at 1:00 p.m. Sunday, and the body was laid to rest at the Thomas cemetery in the presence of a large crowd.

The many friends of Richard Gosvenor were shocked to hear of his unexpected death which occurred at his farm home northeast of town Friday evening.  He was sick a short time and his death is thought to have been caused by poisoning from something which he had eaten.  Funeral services were under the direction of the Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors.

Mrs. Broadie Absher, aged 85 years, 6 months and 23 days, passed away at the family home north of Norwood last Friday morning at 2:30 o'clock.  Funeral services and burial were at Mt. Zion Saturday.  Mrs. Absher was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Gideon.

Elmer Bartley has a new radio.  Oren Bass and Claude Smith also have new radios.

Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Woodruff moved to Seymour Monday.  On returning after their chickens Tuesday, they found that someone had stolen them all but one hen.  Anyone is low in character what would do such a thing.

Mr. and Mrs. Bob Allen are the parents of a new daughter, born February 26.  She has been named Margaret Mae.

Orville Lacey had quite a time getting moved.  They started Sunday with a large truck load of household goods, but went only a short distance from the house when they became stuck in the mud and never got the truck out until Wednesday.  Ray Kelley of Norwood was helping them move.

Funeral services were held last Wednesday morning for James H. Brazeal at the Primitive Baptist church where he was a member.  Burial was in the cemetery at the church.  His wife and three sons, Walter, Jesse and Roy, had preceded him in death.  Five sons are living, Ira, Jack, Fred, Pete and Iley.  He was born in Tennessee and came here many years ago.  He was 81 years old last July.

Mrs. J. P. Book, who has been living upstairs over the Woods produce house, has moved into the White Elephant apartment house.

Miss Inita Helsley turned her car over Sunday night on the farm-to-market road north of Norwood near the Con Ussery farm.  She was accompanied by Miss Ida Marson of Norwood and Roy Campbel and Gus Akeman of Mountain Grove.

Miss Fern Courtney of south of Norwood, a sophomore in the Norwood high school, and Mr. Ralph King of near Norwood were married on Tuesday of last week at Ava.  They were given a charivari Wednesday night.  They expect to go to California to make their home.

A family from Dawson by the name of Lawson has rented the Fred Stolte farm and moved in last week.

Mrs. Stella Brown and family will move into W. D. Neukirk's house in the near future.  Mr. and Mrs. Leach will move onto the Agee farm.

March 12, 1936:

The many friends of Miss Mary Sparks will be glad to learn of her marriage on February 26 to Mr. C. W. Haas of Los Angeles, California.  The young couple were married in Hollywood at the home of Scott Anderson, minister.  Miss Sparks is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Sparks of Norwood, and attended high school in Norwood.  She has lived in San Diego, California, for the past 3 years.  Mr. Haas is Chief Inspector at the North American Aviation Field in Los Angeles.  The young couple will make their home in Inglewood, Calif.

Work on the new court house in Ava was started Monday of last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Uhlman of near Gentryville report the arrival of a baby girl in their home Sunday.

Judge A. L. Pope arrived home Tuesday after spending the winter in Fresno, Oakland, Tulare, and other points in California.  Mr. Pope made the return trip by way of the Panama Canal and Havana, Cube, being 6 days on the water from Los Angeles to the Canal.  In passing through the canal the ship was raised 40 feet by the locks and then let down 80 feet as the came out into the Gulf of Mexico.  It took just 6 minutes to raise the vessel 20 feet, he states.

Rev. Golvin Chadwell suffered a stroke of paralysis about 11:00 o'clock Saturday night, rendering his left limbs useless.  His condition was considered very serious for a time, but at last reports he was getting along nicely.

Marriage Licenses:  W. L. Murphy and Pauline Truelove, both of Lebanon; Donald Glenn and Florence Lacy, both of Norwood

The relief workers have started to work again on the county road near the Fairmount school house.  They started this road over a year ago and plan to finish it this year.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Mrs. Horton.

Mrs. Cline passed away at her home near Olathe Thursday night at the age of 87 years, 11 months and 27 days.  Funeral services were conducted by Elder Adkins of Cabool and she was laid to rest in Prairie Hollow cemetery by the side of her husband who preceded her in death a year ago.

Mrs. Reuben Stewart passed away at her home on Bryant sunday night.  Funeral services were held at Fairview church at Olathe Tuesday afternoon.

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Dulaney died Sunday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl McAllister are the proud parents of a son, born March 6th.

March 19, 1936:

Dr. L. T. VanNoy's barn, just back of his residence in Norwood, was destroyed early Friday morning by fire of unknown origin, and the barn on the Fred Hart property nearby was also destroyed.  The fire was discovered at 4:50 a.m. by Smith Fry, who lives in the Hart house.  He sounded the alarm as quickly as possible and then hurried to the burning building to attempt to save the horses and cows within, but it was too late.  One cow was gotten out but was burned so badly she had to be killed.  Mr. Fry's face was burned to some extent but not seriously.  Dr. VanNoy lost 2 of his best thoroughbred White Face cows, 2 other cows, 2 calves and 2 good horses.  A cow belonging to Ernest Miller was also destroyed, as was a pup belonging to Jake Fry.  A quantity of feed and other stuff was also burned.  It was with difficulty that the house and other buildings were saved, and other houses in that neighborhood were endangered.  Some insurance was carried on the property but not nearly enough to cover the loss.

Mr. and Mrs. Woodrow Reed on route 2, south of Coldspring, report the birth of a fine girl baby at 11:30 a.m. Sunday.

Ira and Sarah Rippee, Mrs. Della Cantrell and three children, and Vinita and Glenn Cantrell of the Gasconade northwest of Mansfield were dinner guests of the F. A. Rippees in Norwood Sunday, and attended services at the Baptist church here.

Judge W. P. Campbell of Wichita, Kansas, father of Mrs. J. Fent Chapin of Hartville, died Thursday, March 12, 1936.  Mrs. Chapin was at his beside at the time he passed away.

Marriage Licenses:  Willard Davenport and Hazel Pierson, both of Mansfield; Elbert Earl Carr and Opal Wilson, both of Hartville; Colman Dorris of Hartville and Edra Owens, of St. George; John Mader of Mountain Grove and Lillie Killian of Hot Springs

Mrs. Betty Butcher's house was destroyed by fire last Thursday morning.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Rev. E. W. Yocum.

Mr. and Mrs. Les Sullens are the proud parents of a baby girl born March 4.

Mr. and Mrs. Elbert Tate of north of Mountain Grove bought some setting eggs from Mrs. Stella Brown Sunday evening.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Mrs. Horton of Prior.

Most everyone is wondering whether the report of Francis Allsman being married is true or not.

March 26, 1936:

Some time Monday night robbers broke into the garage and machine shop of Moles & Bradshaw on highway 60 in Norwood, stripping the shop of its valuable tools and machinery.  The loss is estimated at more than $800.00.  There is no clue as to the identity of the robbers but officers are working on the case.  A liberal reward is being offered for the arrest and conviction of the guilty parties.  The garage is operated by Henry Bradshaw and his son-in-law, Ruey Moles.  They had put in several hundred dollars worth of equipment only a few months ago.

Four persons were killed an 125 left homeless by a tornado which hit Niangua and other Webster county towns and communities Monday afternoon.  The four killed were Mrs. Jesse Elmore, 70-year-old widow at Niangua; Bert Snell, 21, Niangua; Miss Reba Keesling, 18, Rader; and Henry Elmore, 42, living near Oakland.  Six of the 8 houses at Rader were demolished.  Altogether, 50 homes were destroyed and more than 20 persons injured.

Dr. L. T. VanNoy reports the birth of a boy to Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Kelley of Mountain Grove Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Walker who live on Whetstone, northeast of town, are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl Sunday.

Mrs. G. E. Stowers of Kansas City was here the first of the week visiting with old friends.  She will be remembered at Miss hazel Marshall.

James M. Murrell, well known citizen of Hartville, died there last Wednesday morning of pneumonia.  Mr. Murrell was born in Wright County and spent practically his entire lifetime here.  He was in his 68th year.  He is survived by his wife and 5 children; 3 brothers and a sister:  W. D., Noah, and George C. Murrell and Mrs. Thula Crisp, all of Hartville.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. S. Jones in the Hartville Methodist church Thursday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Trettin received a telegram telling of the death of their eldest son, Eddie, of Westminster, Calif., who was killed in an accident last Thursday.  His wife was in the hospital at the time of his death, having had an operation March 10th.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Orville Atchison, a baby girl Friday, March 20.

The Collie dog, Laddie, belonging to Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Greenwood, died last week.  They had had him 13 and 1/2 years.

Sorry to hear of the little Smith boy drowning in the creek Monday evening when returning home from school at Mountain Grove.  The mother is remembered as Dora Freedholm.  She is away, staying a few weeks with her sister, Sadie Freedholm, who is in the hospital at Chicago.  The children were staying with their undle, Ed Freedholm.  The body was found at the Reaberry ford early Monday night.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Rader Thursday, March 19, a son, their 8th child.

Items excerpted from "The Norwood Index" by Phyllis Rippee.  January 27, 2010