Search billions of records on

Norwood Index
Page 12

January 7, 1937:

Taft (Roy) Hitchcock, under the influence of liquor, tried to be a bad man Tuesday, but went a little too far when he hit Harve Jackson a couple of times, without provocation.  Hitchcock was placed under arrest by Deputy Arthur Akers and taken to Hartville to answer for his conduct.

Dr. L. T. VanNoy is the proud owner of a new Ford car which runs like everything, especially as long as he can keep the hind wheels on the ground.  However, it seems that some of the boys thought it would be quite the thing to do to play a little joke on the doctor, so they jacked up one of the rear wheels Monday evening, and when he went to start the car it just wouldn't budge out of it tracks, though the motor was running beautifully and sometimes furiously.

E. L. Kelley was pleasantly surprised last Friday when his sister-in-law, Mrs. Dora Kelley, and her son, Ray, of near Pueblo, Colorado, came in for a short visit.  It had been 40 years since Mr. Kelley had seen the visitors, the son being only a baby at that time.  E. L. accompanied the others to Mountain Grove Friday afternoon and they all visited over night in the home of his sister, Mrs. Franklin, returning to Norwood Saturday afternoon.  Mrs. Kelley is the widow of Jim Kelley, who died in Oklahoma a few years ago.

Mrs. H. J. Bock received word last week that her father, W. O. Leach, had passed away very suddenly December 23 at his home in Arizona.  Funeral services and interment took place December 26 in that state.  He was 65 years of age.

R. E. Williams, who has been suffering for some time with kidney and bladder trouble, accompanied his daughter, Mrs. D. L. Taylor, to her home at Coldwater just after Christmas, and was taken to Fredericktown to consult a doctor.  After examination the doctor there advised an operation, stating that was the only thing that would help him.  However, Mr. Williams decided that at his age he did not care to risk an operation of such serious nature.

As there is no high school this week, most of the boys are spending the vacation rabbit hunting.

Mrs. Florence Robertson has the sympathy of the community in the loss of her father, Mr. Poer.

January 14, 1937:

Jerry B. Coday, 20 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Haden Coday of Mansfield, died Tuesday morning of last week, following a very brief illness, at the Coneley hospital in Kansas City.  Jerry had spent the Christmas holidays with his parents in Mansfield and was returning to Kansas City, where he was a student in the Kansas City School of Osteopathy and Surgery, when he became ill Sunday night.  Funeral services were held Friday at the Cumberland Presbyterian church in Mansfield but on account of the inclement weather the body was not buried until Monday.  Deceased was a nephew of Mrs. John D. Jones of Norwood.

Dr. and Mrs. Albert E. Reeves of Farnam, Nebr., visited with Dr. and Mrs. L. T. VanNoy in Norwood a couple of days last week while enroute to Tampa, Fla., to spent the winter.  Dr. Reeves and Dr. VanNoy attended the Ensworth Medical College at St. Joseph together, both graduating with the class of 1904.  Though pals while in school, they had never communicated with each other and had not seen each other since the night of graduation.  In some manner Reeves had learned that VanNoy had been located at Norwood and decided to stop and look him up while making the trip to Florida.

Last rites for Alvin Michael King, five day old son of Mr. and Mrs. John R. King of Durham, were said at the Dayton cemetery yesterday under direction of the Westfall Funeral Home.  Survivors besides the parents include a sister, Marie Jane King, Durham; and the grandmother, Mrs. Amanda Jackson, Durham.  The infant died yesterday morning at Durham.---From a California newspaper

Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Hart are the proud parents of a 7 1/2 pound girl which arrived December 30.  Mother and baby are doing nicely.

January 21, 1937:

The new administration in Jefferson City is off to a good start.  After using the fact that his opponent helped to raise the farmers' taxes as the chief point against him in the campaign, Gov. Stark opened his term by recommending that the sales tax be doubled and the gas tax raised to three cents.  I wonder if the farmers would be exempt.

Just after daylight last Friday morning officers raided the home of Mrs. Ella Jackson, north of town, where several cases of liquor, which it is alleged was stolen in Joplin, were recovered, and a man who was said to be guarding the liquor was taken into custody.  The home of Mrs. Jackson's son Otis, was also searched and Mr. Jackson was placed under arrest after being chased for some distance by officers.  Several cases of liquor, it is reported, were thrown from his car during the chase and were recovered by the officers.  All together 18 cases of the 20 reported stolen were recovered.  It is said that Earn Jackson, brother of Otis, was involved in the liquor deal, but he escaped arrest.  Officers taking part in the raids were Sheriff James Baker and deputies Sellers of Hartville and Lige Jones of Mansfield, deputy constable Arthur Akers of Norwood, State patrolmen Taylor and Graham, and federal agents Shoemaker and Brown of Springfield.  Mr. Swanson, the man arrested at the Ella Jackson home, was taken to Springfield Tuesday for safe keeping.  Otis Jackson has been released on bond.  The case has been taken over by the Commercial Department of the U. S. Government for investigations, and they will file charges against all parties involved.

A Mr. Malone from Bolivar was arrested one day last week on the highway west of Mansfield, by state patrolmen, on the charge of stealing 16 head of sheep from Shannon & Shannon at Mountain Grove.  He was given a preliminary hearing and was bound over to the circuit court, his younger brother and another lad from Willow Springs having confessed to the theft.  It is said that Malone was also wanted at Bolivar on a hog stealing charge.

William Joy took over his filling station and tourist camp, west of town, again last Thursday, and Mr. and Mrs. Myers, who had it leased, left for Peoria, Ill., where they will operate a restaurant for Mr. Myers' uncle who is an invalid.

Mr. and Mrs. Elisha Owens, well known and highly respected citizens of north of town, will celebrate their golden wedding anniversary at Oak Grove next Sunday, January 24.

Friends in Norwood received word this week from Miss Opal Cason of Cheyenne, Wyoming, that she was united in marriage Thursday, January 14, to Mr. Dick Bagley, son of Bert Bagley.  The wedding took place in Colorado.

Fox Creek was high last week.  Our mail carrier, Mr. Akers, had to turn back twice.

January 28, 1937:

Mrs. Albert Fletcher died last Wednesday at her home near Owensville, and funeral services were held Thursday with interment at Oak Grove.  Death was caused by flu and pneumonia.  Mrs. Ethel Fletcher was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Thornhill, and was born September 26, 1902, being aged 34 years, 3 months and 24 days at time of death.  She is survived by her husband and 3 children.

Grandma Pearman, aged 86 years, passed away Friday at the home of a son near Little Creek, north of Hartville.  her funeral was held Sunday and burial was in the Little Creek cemetery.  She ws the mother of W. N. Pearman, prominent citizen and miller of Mountain Grove.

William H. Latimer, an early settler in Wright county, died January 15 at his farm home in the Little Creek community, north of Hartville, at the age of 74 years.  He is survived by his widow and two sons, J. A. Latimer, postmaster at Loring, and A. D. Latimer, farmer of the home community.

Marriage Licenses issued recently at Ava to couples residing in territory adjacent to Norwood:  Fred Akeman and Odessa Garrison of Norwood; Roy Trettin and Fern Johnson of Macomb; Orville Hicks of Norwood and Ruth Hancock of Drury; S. R. Stillwell of Ann and Melinda McGowan of Mountain Grove.

A letter from Mrs. Clyde Ogg of Ogallala, Nebr., to friends in Norwood conveys the information that Mr. Ogg died at their home in Ogallala January 15, after having been bedfast for 3 1/2 months.  The widow and 6 children are left to mourn his death.  The Ogg family lived on the G. C. Shannon farm just southeast of Norwood for several months, the youngest child having been born there a year ago last June.

The greatest flood in the history of this country is sweeping down the Ohio River and lower Mississippi Valley.  700,000 people have already been driven from their homes, and the worst has not yet been reached.  The Red Cross is appealing for funds with which to administer to the needs of the flood victims.  Wright County as been asked for $160, and the quota for Norwood and vicinity has been placed at $25.  Part of this has been raised, but we are far short of our quota.  Let is not be said that Norwood citizens failed in this crisis.  Leave your contribution at the Index office or pay it to Miss Anna May Means.

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Schlicher have a new baby girl.

Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Coday have a new baby girl.

Ernest Byron has neuritis.

Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Fagan are rejoicing over the arrival of a 12 pound boy at their home Jan. 15.  His name is Eddie Joe.

February 4, 1937:

Elbert Chadwell of south of Macomb died at his home at 4:00 o'clock Tuesday morning, and his wife followed him in death at 4:00 p.m. the same day.  Both died from flu and complications.  Funeral services were held at the Macomb Baptist church at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, Rev. William Fox of Norwood conducting the services.  Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors were in charge.  Interment was in the cemetery there.  The aged couple leave one son, Elmer, in his early teens, who is seriously ill at the home of an aunt, Mrs. Sowersby, near Macomb.  Mr. Chadwell was a brother of Rev. G. Chadwell, of Norwood, and also leaves another brother, Rev. James Chadwell, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, in addition to a sister, Mrs. Sowersby.

As suffering in the flood-stricken areas became more intense, the amount of money asked for to give the homeless relief has mounted.  Last week the Wright County quota was increased from $160 to $400.  Of that amount $325 had been raised by Thursday, with Mountain Grove donating $175, Hartville $86, Mansfield $75 and Norwood $8.25.

Dr. James C. B. Davis, prominent doctor of Willow Springs, who was kidnapped last Tuesday afternoon, was found dead in some bushes near Hammond Mill in Ozark county Wednesday morning, according to radio reports Wednesday.  A 20 year old Willow Springs youth is reported to have confessed to the crime and shown officers where the body was, after several hours of questioning.  Dr. Davis had last week settled the estate of a deceased nephew, for whom he was administrator, and had planned to take more than $7,000 in cash to the nephew's parents in Pomona.  However, the clerk at eh bank dissuaded him from his purpose.  He was leaving his office to go to Pomona when he met an apparent stranger, who asked him to go to the "James" farm six miles south of there on a emergency call.  The Doctor went with him and disappeared.  It is believed that robbery was the intent of the killer, who apparently thought he had the $7,000 in cash on his person.  However, when the money was not found, he forced Dr. Davis to write a ransom note to his family demanding $5,000 for his release.  The note was mailed in West Plains and received Thursday, but was kept secret until Tuesday just before the case broke.  According to the radio bulletin, the Doctor had apparently been dead dead since some time last week.  Upon an appeal to Missouri U.S. Senators Bennett C. Clark and Harry S. Truman from the victim's family, 15 G men were sent to Willow Springfield to work with the State Police in the search for the missing doctor.  The kidnap-murder of Dr. Davis has caused a great stir of excitement throughout this section, where the Doctor was widely known.  Among his patients were people from this vicinity.  Mrs. G. W. Shaw had been taking regular treatments from him and was to have taken a treatment last Wednesday.

This community was saddened by the sudden death of Mrs. Dora Kelley Saturday morning.  She is survived by 6 children.  Two of the boys live in Nebraska; the other live close here.  Burial was in Little Creek cemetery.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Aunt Sabert Pearman of the Little Creek community.

We are sorry to hear of the death of Mrs. Dennis.  She was a sister of Mrs. Tilda Jack.

Mr. and Mrs. Dave Best are the proud parents of a baby girl, born Sunday, January 31.  Her name is Ernestine.

The mail carrier, Charley Cramer, got stuck in the creek Saturday and had to stay about all day.  Henry Bradshaw pulled him out.

February 11, 1937:

We were mistaken last week in stating that the body of Dr. J. C. B. Davis, kidnap-murder victim of Willow Springs, was found near Hammond Mill in Ozark County.  The body was found 100 yards from highway 63 between Pomona and Olden in a thicket.  Robert Kenyon, who is being held in the Jackson county jail at Kansas City, accused of the kidnaping and murder of the popular physician, is a 20 year old youth whose parents live near Grimmet, Mo.  The car he drove was stolen last November from a Rolla salesman.

W. C. Brantley of Willow Springs has rented ground from Roy Burnett to be used as a site for a heading mill.  Mr. Brantley expects the machinery here the last of this week, and will have the mill ready for operation as soon as sufficient timber is on the ground.  Several tracts of timber have already been contracted for, and there seems to be a plentiful supply in sight.  Eleven men will be employed as soon as the mill begins operation, and Mr. Brantley informs us that he will probably put in a stave mill later, giving employment to still more men.

Bethel Bruton, former Norwood resident and a son of Woody Bruton, met death almost instantly last Friday when he fell beneath the wheels of a box car in the railroad yards at Ogden, Utah, where he was employed by the railroad company.  Details of the accident are lacking.  The body of Mr. Bruton was brought to Norwood for burial, Mrs. Bruton and son, Louis, arriving with him Wednesday afternoon.  We go to press too early to learn the funeral arrangements which have awaited the arrival of Mrs. Bruton.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Mrs. Laura Zieber of Mountain Grove.  Mrs. Zieber formerly lived here and has many friends who extend their sympathy to her son, Frank, of Mountain Grove, and her three daughters, Mrs. Lura Bell of Springfield, Mrs. Daisy White of Hiawatha, Kans, and Mrs. Molly Zimmerman of Arkansas.

Mrs. Robinson, sister of P. L. Connolly and aunt of C. M. Minihan, died at her home at Cedar Gap one day last week.

Virgil Caudle and family moved from the Bell place to the Bill Hill place Tuesday, and Orville Inman and family moved to the Bell place Wednesday.

Mrs. Ben F. Nall was called to Springfield last week to make the acquaintance of a new grandson born to Mr. and Mrs. Ray Nall Sunday night, January 31.

February 18, 1937:

Arington Bethel Bruton, son of Hazelwood and Symanthia Bruton, was born at Norwood, Missouri, August 27, 1897.  He departed this life at Ogden, Utah, February 5, 1937, at the age of 39 years, 5 months and 19 days.  He was married to Clara Ethel Raney at Norwood on February 13, 1921.  To this union was born one son, Louis Monroe.  Soon after their marriage they returned to Evanston, Wyoming, where he was employed with the Union Pacific Railroad Company, making that their home until 1926, when they removed to Oklahoma.  They returned to Norwood in 1932, where they made their home until 1936 when Bethel was re-employed with the Union Pacific Railroad Company at Ogden, Utah.  He leaves to mourn his departure a loving wife and son, his father, two sisters: Mrs. Fred Hart of Springfield, Missouri, and Mrs. Ray Brazeal of Farragut, Iowa; 5 brothers: Jesse of Mountain Grove; Frank of Columbine, Wyoming; Elbert of Redlands, California; Granvil of Norwood and Ernest of Guyman, Oklahoma.

George Crinton Finley was born in Crinton County, Ky., March 17, 1854 and passed away at his home in Wright County, Mo. Feb. 11, 1937, at the age of 82 years, 10 months and 24 days.  Deceased was a resident of Wright County for almost 82 years, his parents having moved here when he was very young.  At the age of 25 he was married to Martha I. Caudle.  To this union 10 children were born.  On June 5, 1917, Mrs. Finley and three children, Harry age 19 years, Oscar age 11, and Mabel age 8, were instantly killed by a cyclone which demolished their residence.  Another son, Ben, died at the age of 24 from wounds suffered during the World War.  Mr. Finley was united in marriage to Mattie Fletcher Pope on March 16, 1919.  To this union was born one son, Joe Eugene.  He leaves the following survivors besides his widow:  A brother, M. S. Finley of Wright County; 3 daughters, Ella Frazier, Florence Royal and Elizabeth St. Clair, all of this county; 4 sons Fred of Lamar, Mo., and Frank, Jason and Joe, all of this county; 2 stepsons, Leonard L. Pope of Mountain Grove, and Attorney John C. Pope of Marshfield; 18 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. William Fox at Caudle Church north of Norwood Sunday afternoon and interment was in the cemetery at that place.

Last Thursday Jesse Mallatt received a message that Grandma Mitchell was thought to be dying at the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Sarah Mitchell, at Shell City.  This led to rumors that Grandma was already dead and that her body was being brought to Norwood for burial.  However, the latest report is that word has come that she is recovering.

Hose Kelley's house, northwest of town, was destroyed by fire Saturday night.  The family was visiting at the home of a neighbor when the fire started, and they lost everything but the clothing they were wearing at the time.

The residence of Mr. and Mrs. Mynard Rust, near Cabool, was destroyed by fire about 4:00 o'clock Tuesday morning.  The fire had gained great headway before the family awoke and not much was saved from the house.  Mrs. Rust is a sister of Mrs. G. M. Shaw of Norwood and the family is spending a few days in the Shaw home here.

Mrs. A. D. White received a message last week telling of the death of her stepfather, Charley Monasmith of Pawnee City, Nebraska.  Mrs. White reports that of his 14 children and stepchildren, only three including herself, Mrs. Rebecca Schmelzel of Penticton, B. C., Canada, and Attorney Del Monasmith of Long Beach, Calif., were unable to attend the funeral.

Joe Kelley of the Little Creek neighborhood died one day last week.  Mr. Kelley, who was about 72 years old, was a cousin of Mrs. S. A. Boyer.

Mr. and Mrs. Archie Seal have a new baby boy born at the Burge hospital in Springfield.

The news has been received here that Miss Mary Ballew, who graduated from Norwood high school in 1934, now has a job as reporter on a daily paper in Pensacola, Florida.

Herman Williams, oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Williams, died in a hospital at Oklahoma City Friday night of pneumonia.  He leaves his wife, parents, two sisters and four brothers.

February 25, 1937:

We agree with Representative Newton that $16,000 is a lot of money to pay for a comic strip; and Thomas Hart Benton's murals in the capitol lounge are scarcely more than that.  These grotesque figures used by mural painters may be called art, but color photos of Missouri's beautiful scenery would have been more decorative and would have let a better taste in the mouths of patriotic Missourians who have occasion to visit the exhibit.

A storm which struck parts of Christian, Greene, Webster and Wright counties Saturday afternoon damaged 52 homes, according to a Red Cross survey.  At least 7 farm homes were utterly destroyed.  The tornado first hit near the Hope Dale school east of highway 65 about 3 miles south of the 60-65 junction at James River, at about 4:05 Saturday afternoon.  A 7 mile strip was cut there.  Between Seymour and Fordland the twister hit again, demolishing buildings and uprooting orchards and other trees in a 10 mile strip there.  Highway 60 was littered with trees, fence posts and roofs.  It next hit about 5 miles southeast of Marshfield where two school buildings and a church were town down, and other damage done.  Most seriously injured were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Plank, who lived 4 miles east ot the 60-65 junctions, and Mrs. James Caldwell, who lived 2 miles west of Seymour.  They were taken to a Springfield hospital.  Mrs. Plank, 50, was suffering with the influenza and was in bed on the second floor of their farm home.  Her bed was lifted out of the house and crashed to the muddy ground.  Plank was in the barn with the storm struck. He was pinned in the wreckage and had to be extricated.  Mrs. Caldwell, 60, suffered a broken right thigh and possible internal injuries.  Her husband suffered a head gash.  In Christian County, Mrs. Albert McCoy and her 4 months old baby had a miraculous escape.  When she saw the storm coming she ran to her baby and threw herself across it on the bed to protect it.  When the wind struck the house it lifted another bed and placed in on top of the one they were in, in such a way as to protect the mother and baby from the force of the tornado.  When the force of the storm was spent, Mrs. McCoy managed to crawl out from between the two beds with her baby and get out of the house just before it burned down.  The mother was bruised by the baby was not injured.  In Wright County the storm struck about 5:30 near Odin, west of Hartville, uprooting trees and blowing down barns and other buildings in a path across to and through the Little Creek community north of Hartville.  The Hartville-Marshfield farm-to-market road was blocked by fallen trees.  A violent rain storm, hail and brilliant lightning accompanied the wind.  Norwood and vicinity was visited by rain, thunder and lightning, but had no wind.  The Red Cross will aid stricken families in the storm area.

Uncle Joe Ryan, aged and highly respected citizen of this community, passed away Friday at the home of his son, Arch Ryan, southwest of town.  Mr. Ryan left 141 descendants.  Joseph Ryan was born in Southern Kentucky December 9, 1843.  He died near Norwood, Mo., February 19, 1937 at the age of 93 years, 2 months and 10 days.  At the age of 19 years he was married to Miss Nancy Jane Hays.  To this union were born 12 children, 6 of who are living.  In 1888 he was married to Miss Martha Cornelius, and to this union were born 7 children, 5 of whom are still living.  He leaves to mourn his departure 11 children, 53 grandchildren, 75 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren.  He profess a hope in Christ while very young and united with the Methodist church.  Funeral services were conducted at the Assembly of God church in Norwood Sunday afternoon by Rev. Will Anderson and interment was in the Ryan cemetery near Mansfield.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:  This is to inform you that action will be taken at once against all illegal gaming devices, illegal punch boards, and unlicensed billiard tables which may be operating in Wright count.  All will be confiscated and the owners or operators thereof vigorously prosecuted if said devices, punch boards, and tables are continued in operation.----James Baker, Sheriff; M. J. Huffman, Prosecuting Attorney

Charley E. Rowland and Miss Beulah Vaughan were united in marriage Tuesday, February 16, and were given a charivari in their home that night by a large crowd of relatives and friends.  After the congratulations and treat, the crowd was very pleasantly entertained by violin and guitar music furnished by Tiry Barnett and son, Dale, and W. H. Rowland.  Charley is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Rowland and is an industrious young man.  Beulah is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Vaughan of Mountain Grove and was a sophomore in Mountain Grove high school.  They will make their home on a farm about 4 miles west of Norwood.

John C. Bonfanti, 68 years old, died at his home in Mountain Grove Tuesday of last week.  Mr. Bonfanti had operated a tailor shop and cleaning establishment in Mountain Grove since 1913.

Mrs. John Pearman died very suddenly Sunday evening at her home north of Hartville.  Mrs. Pearman was holding a grandchild on her lap when she complained of a peculiar feeling.  She fell over and died within a few minutes.  Shock from the storm which struck that community Saturday evening is thought to have been a contributory cause of death.  Funeral services were held at Little Creek Baptist church Tuesday afternoon and burial was in the cemetery at that place.

The stork has been a busy bird in these regions the past few days, keeping Dr. VanNoy on the go to keep up with him.  New arrivals are reported as follows:  A girl at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Dale B. Clark, on the Dave Ellis farm southwest of town, Feb. 12; Mr. and Mrs. Olen Reynolds, Bertha, Mo., a girl, Feb. 13; Mr. and Mrs. Jess H. Hull, Norwood, Rt. 2, a girl, Feb. 14; Mr. and Mrs. Elza Smith, Owensville, a boy, Feb. 15; Mr. and Mrs. Albert Fleetwood, Drury, a boy, Feb. 18; Mr. and Mrs. Otis Turner, Mountain Grove, a boy, Feb. 20; Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Kitts, south of town, a girl, Feb. 20; Mr. and Mrs. William York, Brushy Knob, a boy, Feb. 20; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Owens, Mountain Grove, Rt. 7, (on Whetstone) a girl, Feb. 21.  The York baby was stillborn.

Wright County's Agricultural Extension office will be moved to Hartville as soon as office space can be arranged, according to County Agent Hargrave.  At a meeting of the Extension Board held at Hartville on Thursday, February 18, the group voted unanimously in favor of locating the office at the county seat.  The Board members based their decision on the belief that with a more central locations more of the farmers in the county would have access to the services available through the Extension office.  Appreciation for the splendid co-operation extended by Mountain Grove during the past three years in furnishing office, hear and light, along with financial contributions, was expressed by a vote of thanks.

Robert J. Reynolds received word last week that his brother-in-law, H. E. Harrison, had died at his home in Grand Valley, Colo., this month.  Mr. Harrison formerly lived on the old McCarty place north of Norwood, having left here about 17 years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Liplacker and family of Kansas and Miss Crissie Kelly spent one night last week with Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Young.

March 4, 1937:

A very pretty wedding was solemnized at the home of Rev. J. E. Seal in Mansfield Tuesday, February 23, when Miss Jewel Nall of Norwood became the bride of Mr. Chalmer King of Cedar Gap, Rev. Seal saying the words that made them husband and wife.  The marriage was witnessed by Miss May Nall, sister of the bride, and Miss Olga Andrews, teachers in the Seymour schools.  Mr. King, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert King of Cedar Gap, is a fine young man of outstanding qualities.  The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ben F. Nall of Norwood, and is known for her industry, integrity and pureness of life.  She graduated with high honors from the Norwood high school class of 1928, and also attended State Teachers college at Springfield.  He taught in the Cedar Gap school 3 consecutive years.  The happy couple will make their home for the present in Mansfield.

Wednesday of this week was the 50th day of this Legislative session with but little accomplished.  The sales tax measure will be voted on Tuesday, March 2.  The old age pension bill was passed by the House Friday.  It reduces the maximum pension from $30 to $20, despite the fact that the sales tax is almost sure to be doubled, and most all other branches of the state government are to receive substantial increases in appropriations.  This does not tally with pre-election promises.  They say that Forest Smith and others, who are good at making alibis, are making a deep study of the situation, with the intention of finding the best way to lay the blame on the Republicans.---J. F. Newton, Representative

Dan Adamson, who broke jail in Wright County several years ago while awaiting transfer to the state prison at Jefferson City, where he had been sentenced to serve 4 years for the theft of an automoblile, was captured at Mountain Grove last Thursday evening by Arthur Akers and Henry Bradshaw, deputy sheriffs, and Most Gray, deputy constable, assisted by night Marshal Atkisson of Mountain Grove.  Adamson has been in California since his escape from the Wright County jail and had returned here, it is reported, to take his wife back with him to the Pacific coast.  Through information furnished by Mose Gray, officers here learned of Adamson's presence in the county.  He was found in bed in a rear room and was well concealed by bed clothing being piled on top of him. He was also armed when found by the officers.  It is said that the habitual criminal act will be invoked against Adamson.

Arthur Chadwell of near Macomb sustained a broken right arm last Thursday afternoon while cranking a car.  He is staying in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Chadwell while Dr. VanNoy looks after the broken limb.

Mr. Lawrence Harker of Mansfield and Miss Inita Helsley of Norwood were granted a license to wed at Ava last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Wilburn Bartlett of Olathe report the arrival of a baby boy in their home February 24; Mr. and Mrs. Garnett Hopper report the arrival of a boy the 25th; and Mr. and Mrs. Ed Sutherland of Coldspring, a girl, March 2.

In Circuit Court at Hartville last week, 3 men were sentenced to serve prison terms.  Charley Crain, 45, of Cedar Gap drew a 2 year sentence for hog stealing and 2 years for jail breaking; Elva Goddard of Mountain Grove was found guilty of driving a car while intoxicated and was sentenced to serve 2 years in state prison; and James P. Scott was sentenced for 2 years for jail breaking.  Sheriff Baker had the prisoners in Norwood Thursday for vaccination by Dr. VanNoy before taking them to Jefferson City.
Mrs. Ada Bruton of Norwood was granted a divorce from James R. Bruton.  Minnie Taylor was granted a divorce from Oscar Taylor.  Lowell Walker was divorced from Jewell Walker.

Miss Lesta Allen, who had been in Mountain Grove the past 2 weeks taking treatments for paralysis of the left side of her face, is spending this week at home, being somewhat improved.  She will return Saturday for further treatment.

March 11, 1937:

Bert and Rod Raney, sons of Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Raney, and Clifton Bunch were arrested Monday morning on a warrant charging assault on the person of Howard Bradshaw, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bradshaw. They were taken to Hartville and lodged in jail pending the filling of proper bonds for their appearance in court, which bail was furnished Tuesday, we understand.  There seems to have been bad feelings existing between the boys for some time, and out of this grew a fight when took place south of Norwood Sunday night when the Raney boys and Bunch are said to have bumped into the car driven by Bradshaw.  Young Bradshaw received a number of cuts and bruises in the melee, according to reports.

Jim Finch and Mrs. Minnie Taylor were licensed to wed last week at Hartville.

Joe Doran of Ava was arrested Sunday by Deputy Arthur Akers and was lodged in the Hartville jail on the charge of driving a car while intoxicated.  Sheriff James Baker states that he will rigorously enforce the law against drunken drivers in Wright County.

Mr. W. C. Brantley, buyer for Tuttle Heading Mill, slipped away to Dexter over the weekend and was united in marriage there to Miss Mae Hart of that city.  Mr. Brantley brought his bride to Norwood, and they are now at home in the Trailway Hotel where they have rooms for light housekeeping.

The following births have been reported during the past week:  Mr. and Mrs. Roy McIntosh, south of town, a boy, born March 3; Mr. and Mrs. Walter Murrell, Norwood, a boy, born March 6; Mr. and Mrs. Earl Wakefield, Hartville, a boy, born March 8.

Rev. Egbert Allen preached at Stony Point Sunday night.  He reported 5 conversions.

March 18, 1937:

James R. Gass, aged 85 years, of southwest of Norwood, passed away Friday night after a long illness.  The funeral sermon was preached Monday by Rev. Adkins pastor of the Brethren church at Cabool, and interment was in the Macomb cemetery.

Grandma Mitchell died Tuesday night at the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Sarah Mitchell, at Schell City.  The body was brought to Norwood Thursday morning for burial in the Thomas Cemetery.  Funeral will be held at Fairview church Thursday afternoon at 1 o'clock.

A letter from Orville Jones at Pine Grove, Calif., to his mother-in-law, Mrs. Arzila Flora, of Norwood, bears the sad news that Mrs. Jones died at their Pine Grove home March 1, and was buried there the second.  She had been sick since Thanksgiving.  Mr. and Mrs. Jones moved from this community to California nearly a year ago.

William Jefferson Whitaker, aged 74 years, died Saturday at his home in Hartville.  Funeral services were conducted Monday at the Hartville Freewill Baptist church, of which he was a member, by Rev. Selph Jones, and interment was in the Hartville cemetery.  Mr. Whitteker was the father of Ray Whitteker of Norwood.

C. A. Carlock, field worker for the Sunday School and Training Union department of the Missouri State Baptist association, died Sunday at his home in Liberty.  He was only 33 years of age and his death came as a great shock to friends throughout the state.  He leaves a wife and 2 children.

Boy babies seem to predominate just now.  Since last week new boys have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Otto Simmons, Seymour, Route 1, on March 10; Mr. and Mrs Milburn Lathrom, Mountain Grove, Route 7, on March 15; Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Campbell, Macomb, Rt. 1, on March 16.

Mr. and Mrs. Donald Glenn are receiving congratulations over the safe arrival of a bouncing baby boy a few days ago.

March 25, 1937:

Nancy F. Mitchell, daughter of Martin and Mary Rice, was born April 19, 1847, near Lone Jack, Mo.  Died at the home of her daughter-in-law, Sarah C. Mitchell, at Schell City, Mo., Tuesday March 16, 1937 at 8 p.m.  At the age of 89 years, 10 months and 29 days.  She united with the Baptist church in her early teens and continued in the faith until the end.  She was married to John Mitchell in 1882 and to this union were born 2 children, Martin R. and Mary Mitchell.  Both have preceded her in death.  She is survived by 5 grandchildren: Miss Hannah D. Mitchell, Kansas City, Mo.; Paul P. Mitchell of August, Kansas; Marcus M. Mitchell of Bellgrade, Mo.; J. Russell Mitchell of Fulton, Mo.; and James A. Mitchell of Schell City, Mo.; 2 greatgrandchildren, Sharon Lee and Martin Mitchell, of Augusta, Kansas; 7 step-children and several nieces and nephews.

Dee Caudle, aged 50, died Friday morning in a Springfield hospital where he had undergone an operation.  The body was brought back to Norwood Friday in the Bouldin-Ryan ambulance, and funeral services were held Saturday afternoon, Rev. Jim Russell preaching the sermon at the Assembly of God church and burial was in Thomas cemetery.

Charles E. Ferguson died early Friday morning at the home of his brother, J. W. Ferguson, in Norwood from a heart attack.  Deceased would have been 76 years old April 7th.  The body was taken to Sweet Springs Friday afternoon for burial, the undertaker from there coming for it.  Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Ferguson and their son, Richard, went to Sweet Springs for the funeral and before returning home attended the funeral of mrs. Ferguson's sister who died in a hospital at Humansville.

Mrs. Simon Sears happened to a very painful accident last Thursday evening, while milking a cow.  Her milk stool broke down, scaring the cow, and she stepped on both her ankles, bruising one so badly, she was unable to walk the next day.

Frank Thompkins was arrested by Sheriff Baker and deputy Sellers Saturday and lodged in jail on a charge of stealing timber on the Howe Steele tract of land near Norwood, selling the timber for stave bolts.  Officers state he confessed to the theft and is waiting a preliminary hearing.---Wright County Republican

Levi Devault was arrested last Friday afternoon by Deputy Akers on a warrant charging assault on the person of Rev. William Fox.  It is said that Devault knocked Fox down and kicked him after he fell, and also that he threatened to hit him with a hammer.  Their trouble is said to have been caused by Fox refusing to allow Devault to take his cow through a gate near a pond on the Bert Morgan place where the former lives.  Devault was placed in jail but was released on bond the next day.  He will be given a hearing next Wednesday.

Deputies Akers and Bradshaw were called out to the Gray filling station last Tuesday afternoon on the report that a drunken driver was monopolizing the highway there.  Just as they arrived on the scene Sheriff Baker also appeared, and together they took into custody Lyle Douglas of Mountain Grove and took him to Hartville where he was put in the jail on the charge of driving a car while intoxicated.  The offers reported that he was "dead to the world" when found by them.

April 1, 1937:

Henry Bradshaw accompanied Sheriff Baker to Jefferson City Tuesday to take Dan Adamson to the state prison.  They also took the son of Mrs. May Dobbs to the reformatory at Boonville.  He had been out on parole which he had broken.

Those who attended the surprise birthday dinner given in honor of W. H. Bradshaw's 48th birthday and his small son, Leo Bradshaw's 11th birthday reported a nice dinner and a nice time.  We wish Mr. Bradshaw and son many more happy birthdays.

Levi Devault was given a preliminary hearing Wednesday morning before H. C. Jackson, J.P., on the charge of assault on the person os William Fox and was held for the next term of Circuit Court.  Joe Doran of Ava was also given a hearing on the charge of driving a car while intoxicated and was held for Circuit Court.

Miss Lena Allen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Allen, and Mrs. Elmer Hanes of Brushy Knob are reported to have been married in Hartville last Saturday.  They will live at Brushy Knob.

Elmer McMillan's mother passed away Friday night.  She was past 70 years of age.  Funeral services were held Sunday at a church near Seymour and burial there.  [Donia McMillan, buried in Finley Cemetery]

Bob Hutchinson of Emorett was here a few days last week looking after his farm and while here he sold his farm to Noah Strunk of Norwood.

Mr. and Mrs. Jim Finch have moved on the Bill Parmenter farm near here.

Mrs. Orville Sisco who was taken to Nevada last week for treatment had to leave 7 little children.

April 8, 1937:

Julia A. Yoast was born in Humansville, Polk County, Missouri, February 28, 1855; departed this life April 1, 1937 at the age of 82 years, 1 month and 1 day.  She was united in marriage to Dr. J. B. Little December 1, 1879.  To this union were born 2 children:  John M. Little who departed this life in 1922 and Mrs. Ollie Randall, who resides in Norwood and at whose home she had lived since the death of Dr. Little November 7, 1932.  In early life she was converted and joined the Methodist Church.  Later she united with the Baptist church.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. S. Jones at the Christian church in Norwood Sunday afternoon and interment followed in the Thomas Cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Cramer are the proud parents of a baby boy born Sunday afternoon.  This is their 5th child.

Mr. and Mrs. Edsel Quessenberry, south of Mansfield, are receiving congratulations over the arrival of a baby girl in their home Sunday morning.  Mrs. Quessenberry is a daughter of Mrs. Walter Hylton.

Mr. H. C. Claxton of Hartville and Mrs. Ada Burton of Norwood were united in marriage at the bride's home here last Thursday, Rev. William Fox performing the ceremony.  They will make their home in Hartville.  Mrs. Claxton has rented her property here to Rev. and Mrs. Fox who are moving there this week from the Bert Morgan property.

Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Young and family returned home from Sawyer, Kansas, Thursday of last week, where they took their small son, Joy, for burial.  He died about 10 days ago.

Mrs. Wanda Wedge, who has been in Chicago since Christmas with her husband who is working there, is visiting her parents Rev. and Mrs. J. W. Anderson for a few weeks.  She expects to return to Chicago.

April 15, 1937:

Rosa Katherine Crist, 15 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Crist, who recently moved from Near Hartville to the Boyer place north of town, has just completed a quilt top containing 2856 blocks and on which she took 51,408 stitches.  She was 6 months and 8 days completing the task.

John Gunnette who lives one and one-fourth miles southeast of junction of route C and highway 14, was a pleasant caller at the Index office Saturday morning and while here ordered the Index sent to his address for the coming year.  Mr. Gunnette and his stepson, Charles Reichart, manufacture the famous Nelson and Reichart Master Built baseball bats and are now busy turning out bats for the current season.  They expect their production this season to be about 5,000.  They came to the Ozarks 2 years ago from near Council Bluffs, Iowa, buying an 80 acre farm south of highway 14.

Will Greenwood has 2,500 tomato plants and he is having a time to keep them warm.

Mr. D. V. Tuttle of the Tuttle Heading Mill informs us that unless more timber can be secured here within a short time he will move his mill to Hartville where he is offered inducements in the way of timber acreage and site for his mill.

Bill Roadlander died last Thursday morning at his home north of town as a result of exposure in the flooded district of Arkansas a few weeks ago.  He is survived by his wife, 3 children and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Roadlander.

April 22, 1937:

The war scare abroad has boomed the scrap iron market.  Every farm is being scoured for old iron until a fellow won't bee able to find a chunk big enough to weight a throw line this season.  So much has been rushed to the St. Louis market that the price has dropped slightly, but much is still being shipped.  The old plow shares are being made into swords today.

Martha Ann Kathryn Hitchcock was born at Brushy Knob, Douglas County, Missouri, January 14, 1888. She departed this life at Pine Grove, Calif., March 1, 1937, being 49 years, 1 month and 15 days old.  She was united in marriage to Arch Raney at Ava, Missouri, March 23, 1909.  To that union 2 children were born, Ruth Raney Morgan, of the Presido of Monterey, California, and Jesse G. Raney of the Presido of San Francisco, California.  Mr. Raney preceded her in death July 24, 1921.  She was united in marriage to Orville C. Jones April 23, 1922.  To this union were born 3 children, Leonard, Mildred and Valta Jones, all of the home.  She was converted at the age of 17 and united with the Free Will Baptist church in Douglas County.  She is survived by the sorrowing husband and 5 children, also her mother, Arzilla Hitchcock Flora, of Norwood, Mo.  Six brothers: Frank Hitchcock, Leresita, Okla.; John Hitchcock, Brice, Mo.; Rufus Hitchcock, Springfield, Mo.; Ted Hitchcock, Dewey, Okla.; Zack Hitchcock, Baxter Springs, Kansas; and Taft Hitchcock, Norwood, Mo., and one sister, Mrs. Edd Henderson, Springfield, Missouri.  Funeral services were conducted at the home with Rev. Anderson of Ione, Calif., officiating.

Mrs. Carrie Worsham visited her brother, Jim Hutsell, near Rayborn Sunday.  Mr. Hutsell has been sick.

Uncle Jim Housley died Saturday morning at his home east of Owensville.  Funeral services wre held at Oak Grove Wednesday and burial was at that place.

Dr. C. B. Robertson os Mountain Grove was given a preliminary hearing Saturday before W. B. Hensley, Justice of the Peace, in Norwood, on the charge of sodomy.  After hearing the evidence the defendant was bound over to await the action of the circuit court.  Robertson was represented by Honorable A. M. Curtis of Springfield and M. K. McMurtrey of Hartville, while Prosecuting Attorney M. J. Huffman was assisted in the prosecution by C. H. Jackson of Mountain Grove.

Johnnie Clemons, mail carrier on the star route between Norwood and Rippee, began delivering mail Monday to Evans, the new post office just established on highway 14 at the junction of the farm-to-market road.

N. M. Ball returned home last Thursday from Kansas City where he had spent 12 days serving on the petit jury in Federal court where the election fraud cases are being heard.  Coon said he was glad to get back home as it is too dangerous to be safe in Kansas City.

April 29, 1937:

Mr. and Mrs. V. E. Yandell, of Fresno, Calif., announce the arrival of Claire Elaine in their home on April 24.  The young lady tipped the scales at seven pounds and three ounces.  Mrs. Yandell was formerly Miss Lola Anderson, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Anderson of Norwood.

H. E. Hensley recently cut a black oak tree which sets a record for others to shoot at.  This tree was cut for the purpose of making boards and was two feel and 6 inches in diameter at the butt.  Sixteen blocks two feet long were cut from the tree and the last block just lacked an inch of being two feet in diameter, and for the entire 32 feet there was not a knot or limb of any kind.  After eliminating all culls, Mr. Hensley had 1650 boards from the tree, which was cut on ridge land about five miles southwest of Hartville.

Officers Akers and Bradshaw arrested Earn Jones Tuesday night and took him to jail at Hartville.  He was intoxicated and creating a general disturbance at the Morgan garage.

I wish to make a correction in my last items:  The tomato plants belonging to Will Greenwood should have been 25,000 instead of 2500.

Anyone having relatives or friends buried in Fairmount, we would like to have you clean up your lots before the 2nd Sunday in May.

Bill Stephens was lucky Saturday.  He drew a $5 basket of groceries at the new store in Mountain Grove.

May 6, 1937:

George Fields, 43 year old native of Wright County and the "Honeyboy" of the radio team, "Honeyboy and Sassafras," dropped dead in the Pennsylvania station in New York last Sunday while on his way to a physician for a physical examination.  He was born in Grovespring, Wright County, in 1894 and ran away from home when he was 16 years old to play in medicine, tent and minstrel shows and musical comedy.  In 1929 he and Johnny Welsh of Dallas, Texas, teamed up at "Honeyboy and Sassafras."  The team made its radio debut in 1934 and since then has been heard on the NBC chain.  His widow resides at Claremore, Okla.---Mountain Grove Journal

The county court in session at Hartville this week ordered an election to be held on Tuesday, May 25, for the purpose of voting on the question of issuing bonds to the amount of $75,000 to pay off the county's indebtedness.

The Goodwill Family of radio fame are coming to Norwood Friday, May 28.

A few of the good women attended the meeting of the business men's club Monday night and they asked that all club members bring their wives next Monday night at which time they expect to organize a women's club.  Members who have no wives should get them at the earliest possible moment.  A wife, you know, is like a newspaper; every man should have one of his own and not borrow his neighbor's.

The store of J. M. Ellis & Sons was robbed Monday night, the glass being broken out of one of the front doors.  A few pennies were taken from the cash drawer, some candy bars and other small articles were missed, but no great amount of goods were taken.  Sheriff Baker was called Tuesday morning, but as far as we have learned no clues have been found.

An infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Dave Perkins died Wednesday morning and was buried that afternoon.

Mrs. Isaac Owens died at her home near Oak Grove Tuesday morning after a lingering illness.  Burial was in the Oak Grove cemetery Wednesday.

Mr. Tuttle has had a shed built over his machinery at the heading mill this week.  He tells us that he has a large order for furniture stock to be sawed here soon.

Word has been received from Jesse Young and Elmer and Hobart McIntosh, who recently left for the CCC camps, that they are located in Utah.

May 13, 1937:

We see by the papers that the Duke of Windsor has composed his own wedding march and has played it for Mrs. Simpson on his bagpipes.  If she still loves him after hearing him play the bagpipes it's no mere infatuation.

Mr. and Mrs. Morris Beckham of Hartville are the proud parents of a bouncing baby girl weighing 9 1/2 pounds, born May 10.  The little Miss will answer to the name of Shelby Jean.  Mother and dad are doing fine.  Mrs. Beckham will be remembered as Miss Pearl Moody.

W. W. Jennings was given a preliminary hearing Tuesday before Justice of the Peace W. B. Hensley in Norwood on the charge of felonious assault on the person of Archie Jennings.  The defendant was bound over to the circuit court and gave bond for his appearance at the June term.  The alleged assault took place at the West Campbell school house last Friday night.

We failed to mention last week the birth of a son to Mr. and mrs. Arthur Morgan of Brushy Knob.  The youngster arrived April 29.

Funeral services were held at the Macomb Baptist church Friday afternoon for Mrs. E. R. Warner, age 27, who died at her home in Springfield Wednesday after a brief illness with pneumonia.  She was born near Macomb, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Gray (Oma Gray), and lived here several years.  Survivors are her husband, 5 small children, a stepson, her mother and 4 brothers, Earl, Ralph, Alvie and Ramey Gray.  Interment was in the Macomb cemetery.

J. L. Dennis, poet-author, and about 20 other Christian Harmony band members spent Sunday at Fairmount.  He gave an interesting talk.  Mr. Dennis can see God's hand in all of nature, and he doesn't hesitate to tell it.  By the way, Mr. Dennis is a bachelor and is looking for a model wife.  Ask him the requirements.

May 20, 1937:

Associate Justice Willis VanDeventer of the U. S. Supreme Court will retire from active service on the bench June 2, having submitted his resignation to President Roosevelt Tuesday.  He is 78 years old and has been a member of the court for 26 years.  He retires on full pay of $20,000 per year.

Fairmount Community was shocked to hear of the death of Mrs. H. E. Dale's father, Mr. J. W. Cook.  Mr. Cook was born March 18, 1856 and departed from this life at the home of his daughter.  He leaves to mourn his loss 4 children, 6 grandchildren and a great-grandson.  Mr. Cook came 6 months ago to make his home with his daughter and family.  During his brief stay he had made many friends.

Miss Alta Allen is working in the Roscoe Allen home.

Nestled on a hillside a few hundred yards north of Highway 60, between Norwood and Mountain Grove, you will find the Whetstone Baptist Church.  A small frame building, it does not give promise of the unusual as you approach it, but an investigation reveals a church and community rich in historic interest.  On entering the church building the first thing that strikes the visitor's eye is the word "VALKOMMEN," on the wall just behind the pulpit stand.  On inquiry we learn that this is Swedish for "Welcome."
    Gustave Lindholm, wife and young son, Charlie and a foster daughter arrived at Lebanon, Mo., July 4, 1879, having bought transportation from their home in Sweden directly to Lebanon.  Here they were met by an uncle Peter Lindholm, with wagon and team to take them to what was to be their new home in America, near Mountain Grove.  Peter had come here from Sweden several years previous to this time and had become a leader among the Swedes already here.  At that time Lebanon was the nearest railroad point and all freight was hauled from there by wagon, a distance of some 60 miles.
    Soon after coming to America Gustave Lindholm was ordained to the Baptist ministry by the Corinth Baptist church in Laclede count, having been recommended to the Baptist churches of America for ordination, bu the Baptist church of Sweden.  The next step was to provide a place of worship in the new land and on July 16, 1883, the Mountain Grove Swedish Baptist church was organized in the Gustave Lindholm home.  A part of the old house in which the organization was perfected is still standing, and the old homestead is still owned and occupied by the son, Charlie, and family.
    Charter members of the new church were:  Gustave Lindholm, Hadda Lindholm, his wife; and Andy, Christine and Margaret Lindholm.  They were assisted in the organization by Missionary August Johnson of Kansas.  Mrs. Gustave Lindholm was baptised by her husband, having previously belonging to another denomination.
    The present church building was started in August, 1883, and was soon brought to completion and preaching services were held there every Sunday, Gustave Lindholm being the first pastor.  He died Jan. 16, 1892.  Another prominent minister well known over Missouri, who preached there was Rev. Frank Hall.
    The Swedish language was used in all services and all church records were kept in that language.  Charles A. Lindholm, the son who name has already been mentioned, was clerk of the church for many years and while visiting in his home recently, the writer had the privilege of looking over these records, and was also shown the church letter of Mrs. Charlie Lindholm who cam here from Princeton, Ill., at the time of her marriage.  This letter is also written in Swedish and is dated Nov. 27, 1900.
    In the course of time the older members of this church passed away, and some moved to other places, so that the church finally ceased to exist.  But the Lindholms, and others of the community, never lost interest in the work of the church, and following a revival held by Revs. G. Chadwell, I. E. Taylor and R. E. Williams, the present Whetstone Baptist church was organized on August 3, 1926, and Rev. G. Chadwell was pastor of the church until 2 years ago when he retired on account of his advanced age.  Rev. C. N. Means succeeded him and is now pastor of the church.  George Lindholm, grandson of Gustave and son of Charlie Lindholm, is the church clerk at this time.
    Rev. R. E. Williams, well known resident of Norwood, who assisted in the organization in 1926, is a son of Dr. William Williams who was one of the founders of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary now located at Louisville, Ky.
    Rev. G. Chadwell, now in his 80th year, is a pioneer minister of Wright County, serving many years as pastor and missionary in this association.

May 27, 1937:

The Index is in receipt of a copy of the Republican-Bulletin of Rawlins, Wyoming, in which appears an account of the death of Alget P. Hall which occurred May 17 as the result of an automobile accident the evening before.  Mr. and Mrs. Hall and daughters, Miss Elsie Gronlund, and son, Oscar, had spent the weekend at their cabin on the Savery about 50 miles south of Rawlins and were returning to the city when the accident occurred.  Miss Gronlund was driving and it seems that the car skidded as the applied the brakes to slow down for a bridge.  The car turned over, catching Mr. Hall underneath.  The others escaped injury.  Mr. Hall was born in Sweden on Sept. 16, 1887, and came to the United State with his family when only 3 years old.  He has been in Rawlins since he was 17 years old and at the time of his death was owner and manager of the Rawlins Home Furnishings store.  Mr. Hall is survived by his wife, 4 children, 3 sisters Mrs. J. A. Kraul of Edgewater, Colo., Mrs. Jarrett Ellison of Mountain Grove, Mo., and Mrs. Frank Burton of Midwest, Wyoming; and 3 brothers, Charley Hall of Norwood, Mo., Ernest Hall of Casper and Albin Hall of Wamsutter, Wyo.

A very light vote was cast in the special election Tuesday.  Latest reports available indicate that the bond issue was carried by about 6 to 1.

Mrs. Hazel Raney, of Kansas City, was killed instantly in a motor car accident near Lamar late Friday afternoon while enroute to Norwood, with her sister, Mrs. George C. Creal, Mr. Creal and the 2 children of the Creals, to visit relatives.  The Creal car was being driven at a moderate rate of speed while the occupants were partaking of a lunch.  As they came around a curve on the highway they were hit by a car driven by Fred Hamby, 16 year old boy, of Joplin who is said to have been travelling at a speed of 80 miles an hour.  Young Hamby was driving a car with had been stolen from Senator Allen McReynolds of Carthage.  He had stopped at a gas station and after having the tank filled, drove away without paying for the gasoline.  He was pursued by an attendant at the station and it was while trying to escape that the accident occurred. Hamby, who was under parole from the Joplin Juvenile court for delinquency, was killed.  Mr. Creal had both arms broken, suffered a slight fracture of one knee cap and was badly cut about the face, 20 stitches being necessary in dressing same.  Both of the children were injured, the little girl being very badly cut about the face in which 40 stitches were taken by the attending physician.  Mr. Creal and both children are in the hospital in Lamar.  The body of Mrs. Raney was brought to Norwood where funeral services were conducted at the Christian church Monday afternoon by Rev. George O. VanNoy of Springfield, assisted by Rev. William Fox, pastor of the local Baptist church of which deceased was a member.  Interment was in the Thomas Cemetery.  Mrs. Raney, formerly Miss Hazel Chadwell, was the daughter of Sam and Hattie Chadwell and was born here Oct. 15, 1910.  She was united in marriage in 1929 to Roy C. Raney.  At the time of her death she was employed by the Postal Telegraph Co. in Kansas City.  Mr. Creal has been for some time city superintendent in Kansas City for the Postal Telegraph Co. and had just been given a promotion and was being transferred to Chicago.  They expected to visit in Norwood for a few days before going on to his new position.  Mrs. Creal was able to attend her sister's funeral.

Clyde Steinert passed away at 2:28 Wednesday morning at his home northeast of town. He suffered a stroke one day last week, death coming as a result.  Funeral arrangement are not complete as we go to press but services will probably be held Thursday afternoon.  Mr. Steinert's young son, Charles, is reported to be very low with typhoid.

The annual old time singing will be held at Cedar Gap the first Sunday in June.

Al King's mother passed away monday at her home near Tulsa, Okla.  The body was brought back here for burial in the Thomas Cemetery Wednesday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Fuson of Hartville visited at the Fay VanNoy home Sunday afternoon.  They were accompanied by Mrs. M. C. Kindrick of Grovesprings who came to make the acquaintance of her new great-granddaughter, Lois Nadine VanNoy.  Mrs. Kindrick is the mother of Mrs Fuson and the grandmother of Mrs. VanNoy.

Elder Thomas Murdock had some bad luck Saturday while on his way to Mountain Grove.  He ran into the ditch and damaged Mrs. Sutton's car pretty badly and smashed a lot of eggs.

We understand that someone has been making a raid on the chickens here in the Pleasant Hill district, taking about 30 from Charles Schuette and some from Elza Sisco and Howard Besson.

Mrs. Ivy Smith and Bert Inman were united in marriage in Norwood Friday night with William Fox performing the ceremony.

June 3, 1937:

Rev. Golvin Chadwell died at his home in Norwood about 5:00 o'clock Saturday afternoon.  He had been taken to Dr. W. S. Calhoun's office by his son, Sam, to have a tooth pulled and while in the dentist's chair he suffered a severe hemorrhage of the nose, a little later suffering another hemorrhage.  He soon became unconscious and was taken to his home in the Bouldin-Ryan ambulance, and only lived a few hours.  Rev. Chadwell would have been 80 years old on July 5th of this year and had been in failing health the past few years.  Funeral services were conducted Monday afternoon on the lawn of the Chadwell home by Rev. G. O. VanNoy of Springfield and interment was in the Thomas cemetery north of town.  It had been planned to have the funeral in the Baptist church but on account of the large crowd attending, the seats were removed from the church house to the lawn where all might have a chance to hear.  For 50 years Rev. Chadwell preached the Gospel in Wright county and friends from many parts of the county were present for the funeral.

Clyde Steinert was born July 21, 1886; died May 26, 1937, at the age of 50 years, 10 months and 5 days.  On Oct. 4, 1924, he was united in marriage to Birdie Jones of Macomb and to this union were born 4 children: Charles, Dan, Clyde, Jr., and Lucille.  He is survived by his wife and 4 children; a brother, Earl, of Springfield; and 6 sisters, Mrs. Mabel Jarrett, Mrs. Anna Raney and Mrs. Eunice Souder of Norwood; Mrs. Lilly Caudle of California, and Mrs. Fern Fredholm and Mrs. Margaret Frisk of Kansas.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. William Fox at the Christian Church in Norwood May 27, and burial was in the Thomas Cemetery.

When we hear of certain individuals bemeaning the editor, we are like the man who was kicked by the Jackass.  We just consider the source and let it go.

We are sorry to hear of the death of Charley Johnson.  Mr. Johnson was the grandfather of Alfred Johnson.  I had known his for year and never heard him speak an ill work to anyone.  He had been in poor health for several years and was 95 years of age.  Mrs. Johnson is such a sweet old lady.  She is about 85 years old and has 2 wonderful boys who have stayed at home with them all these years.  Neither one is married.

On Friday evening, May 28th, the high school gymnasium of Norwood was the scene of one of the largest audiences ever gathered to see and hear the "Goodwill Family Program."  Uncle George, Aunt Martha, Junior, Little Eddie, Glenn and Smokey were all present.  They entered from the south side of the building, Little Eddie being led by Blaine Williams.  Next came Aunt Martha dressed in her red and white checked dress and bonnet trimmed in white.  Junior, Glenn, Smokey and Uncle George carrying the guitars, one banjo and Hawaiian steel guitar, and last came Slim with the big bass violin, marching to the stage behind the curtains.  Never before did an audience seem to be so eager to hear every word of song and music which was so highly rendered by those talented radio stars.  It was indeed a pleasure to have a chance to see and hear them in person.  They are wonderful people, going through this world of care singing beautiful songs of praise and gladdening the hearts of poor humanity.  Much praise is due Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Williams who sponsored their coming and invited them to their home together with about 50 friends.  A large table was prepared and filled with many good things to eat of which all enjoyed together.

Our hearts were made sad by so many old people passing away.  Mrs. Malinda Barnes, mother of Mrs. W. D. Neukirk, passed away May 28.  She was buried in the Fairview Cemetery.

Wedding bells rang again in the Oak Forest community May 30th when Mr. Lawrence Allen and Miss Helen Rhoads were united in marriage by Rev. Will Anderson at the home of the bride.  They will live for the present at the home of the groom.

June 10, 1937:

Well, the past week has seen two notable weddings, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and Loyd N. Means and Miss Helen Smith.  We were not able to attend the first but stood up as best man at the second.  It wasn't so much fun, except that we were first in the rush to kiss the bride.  The best part was the dinner afterward at the Sukow cafe in West Plains where enough rice was thrown to give a Scotchman quite a pain at such waste.  Anyway, we wish them a long and happy married life.  Both couples.

We have found the fishing pretty good in this section with lots of bass in the creeks.  Our prize catch was an 11 inch bass taken out of Whetstone.

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Marshall report the arrival of a baby boy in their home last Friday.

Hoey Deckard, 18, was arrested in Kansas City last week charged with stealing a 1933 V-8 Ford car from Bert Morgan's garage in Norwood.  Sheriff James Baker and Deputy Lacey Sellers went after Deckard who was held by Kansas City police on information furnished by the Wright county officers.  Much credit is due local deputy sheriffs Henry Bradshaw and A. W. Akers of Norwood for their part in running down the stolen car.

Sheriff Baker and Deputy Sellers and Marion Huffman of Hartville were in Norwood Friday night to consult with the village board in regard to law enforcement.

Golvin Chadwell, son of Samuel and Mary Chadwell, was born in Lee county, Va., July 5, 1857; died at his home in Norwood, Mo., May 29, 1937, and would have been 80 years old July 5th.  He was converted and united with the Chadwell Station Baptist church, Lee county, Va., at the age of 18 and began preaching in his early twenties.  He was united in marriage with Witty Elizabeth Jackson soon after entering the ministry.  To this union 3 children were born:  Thurman C., Mary Stowie and Samuel B.  His first wife died about 50 years ago. Some time afterwards he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Nevil, daughter of Rev. Bishop Nevil.  To this union were born 3 children:  Maggie J., James B. and Lona E.  Some forty years ago his second wife died.  September 29, 1901, he was married to Elizabeth Pearman which wife also preceded him in death some 4 years ago.  Two years ago last July he was united in marriage with Mrs. Mary Smith.  He is survived by his wife, 3 children as follows:  Samuel B. Chadwell of Norwood, Maggie Raney of Mountain Grove and Lona Lilly of Buffalo; 2 brothers Rev. James Chadwell of California and William Chadwell of Tulsa, Okla.; 2 sisters Margarette of California and Catherine of Macomb, Mo., 21 grandchildren, 7 great-grandchildren.

Mr. and Mrs. Jim Hightower of Blanche are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl in their home Saturday night.

Mrs. Lola Walker of Coweta, Okla., who accompanied the body of her mother here for a burial, spent a few days visiting in the home of her brother, Al King.

A wedding of 2 Douglas county school teachers was solemnized at the county courthouse here Friday afternoon.  The young couple were Norman Coats, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Coats of Vanzant and Miss Beatrice McLean, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur McLean of Goodville.  The ceremony was read by the Rev. Mrs. Fannie Hunsaker.  During the coming school year Mrs. Coats will teach the Hickory Flat school near Norwood and Mr. Coats will teach the Oak Grove school near Mountain Grove.---Douglas County Herald

Contracts were awarded by the Douglas County Court last week for furniture and equipment for the new courthouse and for seats for the circuit court room.  The Elkins Swyers Office Equipment Company of Springfield was the successful bidder on the furniture and equipment on a bid of $499.35.  The Queen City Woodworks and Lumber Company of Springfield was awarded the contract for court room seats on a bid of $765.  All the furniture and equipment will be made of birch and will have walnut finish.  Funds for the seats and equipment were supplied by a second government grant recently approved.  Part of the grant will be used for having sidewalks around the courthouse.

Wess Sisco received word last week from his sister, Mrs. E. H. Shropshire of Arizona, telling him that her husband, Zeek Shropshire and youngest son were both dead.  Just 5 days difference in their deaths.  Zeek died with blood poison and Dave with leakage of the heart and dropsy.  Mr. Shropshire is well known here as he once lived here, but at the time of his death he was in Arizona where he had lived the past 5 years.

Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Cole are rejoicing over the arrival of a 9 1/2 pound baby boy, born Friday evening, June 4.  Mother and babe are getting along fine.

John William Whittaker was born July 26, 1855, at Yellow Creek, Miss.  He passed away at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, June 6, 1937, at Macomb, Mo.  He is survived by his wife, Massey Whittaker, and 4 children:  Mrs. Mima Bolt, Wyandotte, Okla.; Fred Whittaker, Pawhuska, Okla.; Walter Whittaker, Tulsa, Okla.; and Robert Whittaker, Macomb, Mo.  One brother, S. W. Whittaker of Springfield, Mo., also survives.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Chris Tyson at 2:00 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the Macomb Baptist church.

Mary Frances Rogers was born in Marion county, Ind., Jan. 21, 1856 and departed this life May 24, 1937 at the age of 81 years, 4 months and 3 days.  She was united in marriage to Robert King Jan. 28, 1873.  To this union were born 11 children, 7 of whom are still living.  Surviving relatives are:  a son, Alvin King of Norwood, Mo.; 6 daughters, Lola Walker of Coweta, Okla.; Oka Riser of Iowa Falls, Iowa; Dora Goon of Chico, Calif.; Cora Campbell of Tyler, Texas; Dolly Anderson of Pharaoh, Okla.; and Verna Hatfield of Coweta, Okla; also a stepdaughter, Mrs. Flora Rader of Mountain Grove; a great number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  She was baptized into the Church of Christ in 1887.  Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, May 26, at the Church of Christ in Coweta, Okla., with Rev. L. R. Wilson of Tulsa delivering the sermon.  The remains were taken to Norwood by the Wright Funeral Home Wednesday for interment.

June 17, 1937:

Considerable complaint has been heard the past few days concerning the careless shooting of fire crackers on the streets of Norwood.  It is dangerous to explode fire crackers near anyone and women and children hesitate to go out upon the streets where the shooting is taking place.  We are sure that those who have been doing the shooting have had no intention of harm or annoyance to anyone, and the matter having been called to their attention will no doubt be more careful in the future.  Otherwise it may be necessary to ask the village board to pass an ordinance prohibiting the shooting of fire crackers within the village limits.

Mrs. S. J. VanNoy sustained a fracture of the right hip Sunday night when she fell in her home in Norwood.  A cat had followed her into the house and in making a grab for the cat, which she missed, she fell to the floor, with results as above stated.  She has been suffering from the injury, but is getting along as well as could be expected of one her age.

Mr. and Mrs. George C. Creal and children came down from Kansas City Tuesday evening, bringing Mrs. Creal's mother, Mrs. Hattie Chadwell, back home.  They will remain here about 2 weeks before going to Chicago where Mr. Creal expects to take up his new duties with the Postal Telegraph Co. about July 15th.  They are all recovering nicely from their injuries sustained in the auto wreck a few weeks ago when Mrs. Hazel Raney was killed.

James Clark, father of Rev. William Clark who was pastor of the Mountain Grove Baptist church a few years ago, died Sunday night at his home in the Little Creek neighborhood north of Hartville.  Funeral services were held Wednesday.

William Huber, who left here a few weeks ago for his former home in South Dakota, was seriously injured recently while employed with a paving crew near Mitchell, S. D.  A swinging crane struck him in the side, throwing him about 25 feet.  It is reported that 5 ribs were caved in and that he received other bruises about the body and head.  Mr. Huber was taken to a Mitchell hospital where for a time his injuries were considered rather critical, but later reports were that he is improving.

A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Levi Devault last Wednesday, and a boy to Mr. and Mrs. Howard Shores on Thursday.

Several of our citizens have had business in Hartville this week, attending circuit court.  John Dixon and Charlie Cole are serving on the petit jury.  Most of the day Tuesday was taken up with the trial of Lyle Douglas, of Mountain Grove, on the charge of driving an automobile while intoxicated.  He was found guilty and given a sentence of 60 days in jail and a fine of $100.

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Ballew and family attended the funeral service for T. C. Carrol last Wednesday at Walnut Grove.  Mr. Ballew was a stepson of Mr. Carrol.

Velva Berniece Warner, daughter of E. R. Warner, of Springfield, died there Saturday.  Funeral services were held at Macomb Monday for the 2 year old child and burial was at Macomb.  Her mother was buried here a short time ago.  She leaves her father, 5 brothers and sisters, and he grandmother, Mrs. Mary Gray.

Joe and Elsie Lou Findley were selling papers in this community Thursday.  They sell the Grit, and it is worth the money.

June 24, 1937:

Old time citizens of Norwood tell us that in the years gone by there was a public well located at what is now near the corner ot the Ryan bank building and that it supplied an abundance of good water for both man and beast.  The village board has made a proposition looking toward the reopening of this well which was plugged up some 25 or 30 years ago, and at a meeting of the business men's club Monday night a committee was appointed to try to locate the well and to make investigation as to steps necessary to have same cleaned out and made ready for the installation of a pump.

Rufus Morgan was born in Tennessee in 1852, and departed this life June 21, 1937 at Brushy Knob, Mo., at the age of 82 years.  He was married to Mary Kirkendall October 18, 1874 and to this union were born 8 children, 6 boys and 2 girls.  Three sons: William, Sidney and Shelt have preceded him in death.  Those living are:  Edward Morgan of Brushy Knob; Mrs. Pearl Baker of Shoshone, Idaho; Bert Morgan of Norwood, Walter Morgan and Mrs. Ivory Wade of Brushy Knob.  Besides his wife and children, he leaves 18 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren.  His father was killed during the Civil War and his mother died soon after, so he had no knowledge of what became of the 2 sisters.  He was converted to the Christian religion during his illness and shouted his way to a glorious victory, and enjoyed his religion to the fullest for the few days he lived.  He expressed the desire to join a church and be baptised.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Archie Halford at Brushy Knob Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock and interment was in the cemetery at that place.

Mr. Thomas B. Spurling, of Wadworth, Kans., and Mrs. Elsie Akeman Webb, of Norwood were united in marriage Saturday, June 19, at Hartville.  Probate Judge E. L. Colton performing the ceremony in the presence of Fred Akeman and Henry Norcross who accompanied the couple to Hartville.  Mr. and Mrs. Spurling will make their home in Norwood.  The bride's former husband, Mr. Webb, passed away just 10 years ago Saturday.

Miss May Thornhill, former Norwood girl, and daughter of Mrs. John Hitchcock, was united in marriage June 1st to Mr. Roy Benton of Eureka, Kansas.  Thirty of their friends witnessed the ceremony.

J. T. Broadus received word that his son, Paul, was married in Kansas City, Saturday night.  This community, in which Paul formerly lived, joins with the writer in wishing them a happy married life.

Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Tuttle are the proud parents of a baby girl born last Tuesday and who will answer to the name of Virginia Joan.  Mrs. Tuttle is now in the Ryan hospital.

John Rouse and son, Raymond, and family of Kansas City were called home Friday on account of the death of their brother and Uncle, Bill Rouse.  Bill Rouse of Whetstone neighborhood died last Thursday night and was buried in the Fair View cemetery Saturday.  He had been sick for several months.

Sheriff James Baker and Deputy Arthur Akers went to Jefferson City Monday to take Hoey Deckard who was given a 3 year sentence to the Algoa Farm in circuit court last week.  Deckard was convicted of stealing a car from Bert Morgan's garage in Norwood.

Word has been received here of the birth of a daughter on May 15 to Mr. and Mrs. Leo Luna, former residents of this community, who now live in Kansas.  Mary Frances is the name given the new arrival.

Items excerpted from "The Norwood Index" by Phyllis Rippee.  May 5, 2010.