Search billions of records on

Norwood Index
Page 4

July 3, 1930:

The community was shocked and grieved when news reached here that Martin Mitchell was dead.  While doing carpenter work at Neosho Saturday morning, Mr. Mitchell fell from a scaffold, sustaining injuries that resulted in his death a few hours later.  He fell from the second story of a building to the basement, landing on his head and face.  The body was brought to Norwood Monday afternoon on the Sunnyland.  Short funeral services were conducted by C. A. Hart at the Christian Church and interment was in the Thomas Cemetery that afternoon.  Martin R. Mitchell was born in Corbon Center, Vernon County, Mo. May 19, 1883.  Died June 28, 1930.  He was converted and joined the Baptist church at the age of 14 years, later in life uniting with the Christian church.  Deceased is survived by his aged mother Nancy F. Mitchell, his wife, 4 sons, a daughter, 3 half brothers and 3 half sisters.  One son, Paul, could not be found at the time of his father's death.  He was in Arizona a few weeks ago.  The family resided near Norwood for many years, leaving here in March to make their home at Neosho.

Marriage Licenses:  Glen Still of Conway, over 21 years of age and Jessie McClanahan of Grove Spring, under 21 years of age.

Mr. and Mrs. Harve Turner are the proud parents of a little son born June 24.

July 10, 1930:

Marriage Licenses:  Charles Wilkerson of Washburn, Mo. and Blanche Evans of Hartville; Ivan Middleton and Etolia Dake, both of Mountain Grove.

About 4,000 people attended the annual singing at Hartville Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Noel Cox of Denlow, are receiving congratulations over the safe arrival of a baby girl Saturday, July 5th.

July 17, 1930:

The Ussery divorce case was settled in circuit court here this week.  Cleo Ussery, wife of Rev. Clarence Ussery, had filed suit for divorce and custody of the children.  The case was heard before Judge Skinker Tuesday.  A divorce was granted Mr. Ussery on his cross bill in the case.  He was also given custody of the four children.---Wright County Republican

Circuit Court:  Ethel Stigall, by next friend, vs Chester Stigall, decree for plaintiff

Mrs. Leaderbrand, aged 66 years, died at her home at Macomb Saturday night after a month's illness.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mose Willis Sunday afternoon at the Macomb Baptist Church and interment was in the cemetery near there.

Mr. and Mrs. Otto Hull are the proud parents of a baby girl born last Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown Woods have a baby girl born July 5th.

The death on July 12th of Sally Ann Glasco (Turley), wife of William Glasco has saddened the community.  Mrs. Glasco, better know by all as "Aunt Sally Ann" was 72 years, 9 months and 17 days old.  She was baptized in the Missionary Baptist Church at age 18.  She was united in marriage to James Woods and to this union were born 5 children, 4 living who are:  Ibbie Moore, Mike Woods, Hallie Proctor and John Woods.  In 1891 she was united in marriage to William Glasco and to this union were born three children.  One survives, Noah Glasco.  She also leaves several grandchildren.  Services were held in the community church and burial was in Brushy Knob Cemetery, after which Rev. Holford and Aunt Martha James prayed between the graves of Aunt Sally Ann and her daughter, Alberta---a wish of Aunt Sally's.

July 24, 1930:

News from Hartville:  Vincent Cottengim, 25, son of Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Cottengim of Grove Spring, kidnapped Mrs. Mabel Burnett, 30, daughter of County Clerk, R. F. Adams, and Mrs. Dorless Turner-Schwedhheimer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Steele Turner of near Hartville, Friday night.  Mrs. Schwedhheimer was tied to a tree and Mrs. Burnett was criminally attacked.  The two women had been visiting at the Box home north of Hartville and were returning home at about 9 o'clock p.m. when Cottengim drove up to them and forced them into the car at the point of a gun.  Cottengim tied Mrs. Burnett's companion to a tree and then drove to Number 3 School house where he attacked Mrs. Burnett.  Deputy sheriffs from the north part of the county have been searching for Cottengim who ha not yet been apprehended.  He has been seen twice by passers-by in the vicinity of Smittle with his shirt torn off and travelling in the woods.  Cottengim is an ex-convict, having been paroled from the penitentiary only a short time ago for a similar offence.  it is hoped that he will be captured and brought to justice at an early date.

Marriage Licenses:  O. C. Wall and Dora Johnson, both of Simmons; Judge Udell Trout and Frances Williams, both of Hartville

Sheriff Crewse left early Monday morning for Meade, Kansas, after Clyde Clark who is being held there for Mr. Crewse.  Clark stole an automobile from Charley Whistler of Ava and skipped his board bill at Hartville.  He will be returned ot Wright County to face both charges.

Last Thursday night the homes of L. J. Ellis, James Douglas, William Sharp, W. C. Shannon and Dr. J. C. Manning in Mountain Grove were entered by a burglar who secured small amounts of money and various other articles in the different homes entered.  At the Dr. Manning home the man attempted to kidnap the 12 year old daughter, Neva Helen, of Dr. and Mrs. Manning.  The girl was taken from her bed by the intruder but managed to free herself before he reached the door.  Her screams seem to have frightened her kidnapper who fled.  She was badly scratched about the face and throat.  The burglar was described by the Manning girl as being short, rather heavily built, of dark complexion and bushy hair.  She said that he was coatless and that he wore a white shirt.  He has not been captured.

Mrs. Ida B. Jacobs, wife of Dr. J. C. Jacobs, died last Thursday night at the family home in Miami, Okla.  She had been critically ill for some time.  She was 57 years old.  Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Christian Church in Miami and burial was in the G.A.R. Cemetery there.  Mrs. Jacobs is survived by her husband, two sons Lee Jacobs of Miami and Ensign T. D. Jacobs of the U.S. Navy and one daughter, Miss Etta, at home, one sister, Mrs. Mattie Cottengim, of Norwood, Mo., and 3 brothers Amos and W. H. Rue of Lebanon, Mo., and Louis Rue of McPherson, Kans.

Joan is the name of the baby girl born to Mr. and Mrs. Wheaton Cottengim July 13th at their home in Ventura, Calif.

A marriage license was issued last week at Ava to D. S. Hylton of near Norwood and Cordelia Garsh of Seymour.

Ruth Floyd, daughter of William Floyd, who lived in this neighborhood a few years ago, died very suddenly Friday noon.  She was buried Monday in Green Mountain Cemetery.

Mrs. Vogt, aged 69 years, died at her home near Vera Cruz Monday evening and was buried in the Brushy Knob Cemetery.  Her many friends sang songs and Winton Jefferson led in prayer.  Mrs. Jesse Roy read the obituary.

July 31, 1930:

F. B. Becker, age 55, a free lance oil man of Garber, Okla., shot himself through the temple in his room at the European Hotel in Mountain Grove about 9:30 last Wednesday night, after having shot Wiley Neighbors through the shoulder and attempted to shoot Frank Neighbors.  It seems that he was under the influence of intoxicating liquor at the time of the shooting.  He had evidently planned to take his own life as a letter addressed to his wife was found on his body and in this letter he stated that he was leaving everything to her and to June, his 8 year old daughter.  Coroner F. A. Steffe of Mansfield was called and following an investigation, pronounced Becker's death the result of suicide.  Mr. Becker had been in Mountain Grove two or three days negotiating a sale of some property near Dunn.  He was also trying to secure oil leases on property in the vicinity of Mountain Grove.

According to the Douglas County Herald, Brown's Cave, which is owned by William H. Wright, near Rippee, is fast becoming one of the favorite outing points of this section.  Beautiful scenery, the big cave and numerous smaller caves, together will excellent fishing and bathing waters are attractions that are drawing many visitors to Mr. Wright's resort this season.

There have been some false reports circulated that I did not serve in the World War in France and that I did not get nearer to France than Camp Funston; that if elected, would place my wife in office and continue to travel for Hood Rubber Products Co.  In reply to the first:  I was never in Camp Funston.  I enlisted in Springfield, Mo., shortly after war was declared and was sent to Greenville, S. Carolina, from there to New York, then to France where I served nearly two years.  There is a copy of my record on file at Washington, D.C., one on record in Recorder's office here and I have the discharge papers to bear out these facts.  In reply to the second:  The law answers this one by stating "No officer shall use a relative as his deputy."  My main reason for asking for this office is so I can spend more time with my family than I can if I continue as a travelling salesman.  To the voters I have not seen and the ones that do not know me, I would appreciate having them ask any of your businessmen, bankers or friends you can rely upon and learn if I am qualified and worthy of your support.---Yours truly, Charles H. Allen, candidate for Recorder of Deeds

A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Orean Bass of Route 1, Monday morning.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Cramer July 25, a bouncing baby boy who will answer to the name Marshall Lee.  They now have a girl and a boy.

Marriage Licenses:  Charles Ishmul Hayes and Ada May Young, both of Marshfield; C. B. Allen of Ava and Emma Chamberlain of Sedalia; Albert Simmons and Hazel Matney, both of Seymour; S. S. Fair of Bramer, Okla. and Mrs. Auttie Palmer of Birch Tree

If there is any party in this county whose name is or has been Ellie or Ellen Rose and whose mother's maiden name was Susan Todd, please let the fact be known at the office of the Probate Court at Hartville.  Said party, if living, is an heir at las of an estate in Kansas.

August 7, 1930:

Marriage Licenses:  Burley Clark of Rayborn and Thelma Riley of Cabool

A. W. Akers, contractor, recently finished the Absher School house in Wood Township and it is now ready for occupancy.  The work of construction was completed in 8 days.

Tuesday of last week Harold McNeeley of Mansfield was seriously injured when the ice truck which he was driving collided with a car driven by Mrs. H. N. Pyle of St. Louis.  Mrs. Pyle and her 18 year old son were also seriously injured.  All three were taken to the Springfield hospital.  Mr. McNeeley is a grandson of Mr. and Mrs. D. McNeeley of Norwood.

Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Bass are the proud parents of a baby girl born Tuesday, July 29.  She has been named Verdeen Shirley.

A. J. Williams and Mr. Rogers of Mountain Grove erected a nice monument at the Calhoun Cemetery for Mrs. A. J. Williams.

August 14, 1930:

Notice is hereby given that the charges for tuition in the Norwood high school will be $3 per month.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Davidson are rejoicing over the arrival of a 9 1/2 lb. son born Aug. 10.  His name is Vernon Fay.  Mother and baby are getting along nicely.  Dr. VanNoy was attending physician.

Marriage Licenses:  Sloan Garrett and Sarah Lee Roberts, both of West Plains.

Red Traylor, being held in jail awaiting trial on a petit larceny charge, escaped last Thursday evening about 8 o'clock.  He made his escape by sawing a bar out of a window.  He has not yet been apprehended.

Sheriff Crewse and deputies captured Orlie Eaton and Forrest Henderson last Monday afternoon north of Hartville with 1 1/2 gallons of whiskey and about 50 gallons of mash.  They are both being held in jail awaiting the execution of bonds.

Officers at Manes last Thursday afternoon arrested Ebb Cline after an attempt to kidnap Beulah Coble, young daughter of Lewis Coble.  Cline drew a gun on Coble and demanded his daughter.  The officers were notified and Cline snapped his gun several times at them.  He was knocked down with the butt of a gun by Walter Wade, deputy sheriff.  He was taken to Hartville and placed in jail and was later released on bond.

A son was born to Rev. and Mrs. W. H. Kelley Tuesday, August 5th.  The young lad will answer to the name of David.

Mrs. Vicie Chadwell is rejoicing over the arrival of a grandson, born to Mr. and Mrs. Kingdon Cottengim August 1st at Tulare, Calif.  He has been named Kenneth Leroy.

Friends here have received word of the death of W. A. Jackson which occurred at his home at Siloam Springs, Ark., August 4th.  It was thought that the immediate cause of death was the effects of the extreme heat.  Mr. and Mrs. Jackson formerly lived on the farm now owned by Mr. and Mrs. I. P. Belcher on route one.

Word has been received here of the death in Garden Grove, Calif., of Mrs. Jim Hopewell (nee Agnes King) from appendicitis.  She leaves besides her husband, 5 children, a father John King of this place; several brothers and sisters.

The community was greatly saddened by the death of William Glasco Thursday evening.  He was sick for several weeks.  He leaves his son, Noah, and a sister, Mrs. Tom Proctor of Denlow.  He was buried by the side of his wife, Aunt Sally Ann, who preceded him to the Great Beyond three weeks ago, in the Brushy Knob Cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Tom Forrest lost twin babies Friday night.  They were buried in the Rethersford cemetery Saturday.  The mother is doing very well.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Albert Calhoun Sunday, August 3, a 10 1/2 lb. boy.

August 22, 1930:

Several persons from Macomb and Mansfield were here yesterday for the preliminary examination of Roy Leaderbrand, but it was continued to August 20.  He is charged with burglarizing the home of Mrs. Hook at Macomb three weeks ago and stealing about $130 worth of property.  He was arrested by Deputy Sheriff Joe H. Dennis and Mose Gray after some of the property had been located in a neighbor's home, who said Leaderbrand left it there.---Mountain Grove Journal

Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Calhoun attended the funeral of Mrs. Calhoun's aunt, Mrs. N. J. Johnson, at Ava last Thursday.

Willie Cole and Opal Peck were united in marriage Sunday afternoon at the home of his sister, Mrs. Albert Calhoun.  Willie is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cole, and Opal is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Perry Peck of Norwood.  They will immediately move to their home south of Norwood.  Rev. W. E. Brook tied the knot.

Marriage Licenses:  Noel Helums of Mountain Grove and Verba Hurt of Norwood; W. P. Cole and Opal Fay Peck, both of Norwood; Ureal Boyd and Ethel Drewel, both of Alley, Mo.; Cecil Jarrett and Ella Mae Holt, both of Norwood

Leonard L. Doyel and Miss Mabel Owens of Macomb were united in marriage in Ava last week.

Mr. Dillard Mallory of Springfield and Miss Ferrell Claxton of Grove Spring were united in marriage Sunday, August 10th.  Both will attend teachers college in Springfield the coming year.

A travelling auditor for a large gasoline refining concern reports an unusual condition among filling stations.  He says many travellers who are going east and west in search of work are so nearly broke they are trading watches, knives, jewellery of various kinds, even clothing, for gasoline sufficient to get from place to place.  In one town near here the gasoline dealers have joined together and refuse to fill the tank of a strange motorist until he pays in advance.  At Republic, a service station reports selling gasoline in 10-cent quantities.  Dozens of small cars, almost worthless, have been abandoned along the federal highways and the owners have started out to hitch-hike to their old homes.---Mountain Grove Journal

Bill McCoy, 22, eloped with Agnes Walker, 17 year old daughter of Tom Walker, who lives northeast of Manes, last Sunday night.  Mr. Walker notified Sheriff Crewse to stop them if they can be found.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Johnson, a son, Wednesday, August 6th.  He has been named Harold Gene.

August 28, 1930:

Marriage Licenses:  William George Edgar Clark of Edinburg, Scotland and Wanda Margaret Craig of Mansfield

Norman Strong, 6 year old boy, was delivered to Sheriff Crewse Monday.  His mother and his stepfather sent him to school about a week ago, and when he returned he found them gone.  The boy went to a neighbor's home where he stayed for a week but his parents did not return.  The neighbor, Charley Moody, notified Sheriff Crewse who went and got the boy and will keep him until circuit court convenes.  A warrant has been issued for the arrest of the parents.

Sheriff Crewse and deputies arrested C. C. Richardson who was found with a barrel of mash and part of a still.  Richardson, who lives about 3 miles south of Macomb was released on bond.

Mrs. Charlie Towe and son, Med, took his daughter Margaret to Springfield for treatment Monday morning.  After much suffering, she passed away Tuesday morning.  Her remains were brought home and she was buried in Fairview Cemetery Wednesday by the side of her mother who passed away when Margaret was only 5 days old. (Death certificate gives cause of death "tonsilitis.")

John A. Hensley, aged 80 years, died at his home north of Mansfield last Wednesday afternoon.  Mr. Hensley had served two terms as sheriff of this county and two terms as presiding judge of the county court.  Funeral services were conducted Sunday by Revs. J. E. Seal and Selph Jones at the Dennis church and interment was in the Hensley Cemetery on the old Hensley farm.

It is reported that a 15% dividend will be paid to depositors of the Ryan Banking Co. in the near future.

Margaret Marie Towe was born March 9, 1924 at Olathe and died Aug. 19, 1930, age 6 years, five months and ten days.  She leaves to mourn her departure, a father, stepmother, brother, and grandparent.  Her mother died when Margaret was 5 days old and she made her home with her grandparents Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Towe.  Funeral services were conducted Wednesday, Aug. 20, by Bro. Archie Holford and Bro. M. Stanifer in Fairview Church at Olathe.

As the Texas Special, fast Frisco passenger train, was coming out of St. Louis Sunday night, the engine left the rails near the Osage Hills station in St. Louis County and was demolished, along with three coaches that turned over.  Among those who lost their lives were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Newton, of Washington, D.C., but former resident of Wright County, Mr. Newton being a son of Uncle Andy Newton who lives northwest of Mansfield near Mission Temple Church.  The Newton's 4 year old son was also severely injured.  They were on their way from Washington to make their annual visit fo home folks when the wreck occurred.  Miss Louise Davis of Fordland, daughter of the Frisco section foreman of that place, also lost her life in the wreck.  She was enroute home from Chicago where she had been employed this summer.

Harrison Royal was bound over in Justice Stephen's court Monday to await trial on the charge of burglary and larceny.

Pete Hart was sentenced to 30 days in jail after Justice Stephens found him guilty of possessing intoxicating liquor.

Willard Brumley was sentenced to 30 days in jail after having been found guilty of having in his possession stolen goods.

Justice John W. Stephens of Mountain Grove bound Estell Duggan over to await trial in Circuit Court Monday in a preliminary examination on the charge of burglary and larceny and also on the charge of kidnapping the young daughter of Dr. Manning of Mountain Grove.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Woods are rejoicing over a baby boy.

Mary E. Hawkins was born June 1, 1849 and died August 29, 1930 at the age of 81 years, 2 months and 28 days.  She was the second child in a family of 7 seven children and came with her parents from Tennessee before the Civil War.  Only one of the family is left, her youngest brother, Robert L. Randolph of Pease, Mo.  She was converted during her childhood days.  At the time of her death she was a member of Mount Pisgah Baptist Church at Grove Spring.  To her many friends and acquaintances she was "Aunt Mark Hawkins."  She was married to Allen H. Hawkins, a pioneer Baptist preacher of this section, March 18, 1875 and to them were born 3 daughters.  The first, Mary Isabel, died Jan. 16, 1877.  The other two, Martha Edgerton and Lizzie Kinkade, are left to mourn their loss.  Her husband preceded her to the heavenly home on Jan. 11, 1920, and since his death she has made her home with her two daughters.  About 18 months ago she was stricken with paralysis.  Funeral services were conducted at Mt. Pisgah Church Aug. 30 by Rev. G. Chadwell and her body was laid to rest by the side of her husband.  (This was in Bramhall Cemetery.)

Samuel C. Borders, age 64, a former resident of Norwood and Mansfield, Mo., died August 20, 1930, at 11:20 a.m., in the Santa Fe hospital in Los Angeles, Calif.  Mr. Borders was born in Iowa and came to Wright County, Mo. with his parents when one year old, residing in Mansfield and Norwood until 1904 when he moved to California where he remained until death.  In 1893 he was married to Annie Belew, at Mansfield and she survives him.  Funeral services were held at the Baptist church in Lindsay, Calif., Sunday, Aug. 24, after which the body was interred in the Olive Cemetery at Lindsay.  The casket was completely covered with floral offerings from friends and especially worth of mention was the magnificent floral piece sent by Santa Fe railroad employees of all branches through-out California.  Mrs. Borders and his two sisters, Mrs. Estes and Mrs. Myrtle Hoffpauir were in attendance during his last hours here on earth.

Marriage Licenses:  Worth E. Broughton and Sarilda Austin, both of Manes; C. O. Ellefson and Doyne Scott, both of St. Louis

September 11, 1930:

Rev. G. Chadwell was called to Mansfield last Wednesday to conduct funeral services for Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Newton who were killed Sunday night, Au. 31, in the Frisco wreck near St. Louis.  The services were held at the home of Mr. Newton's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Newton, 6 miles north of Mansfield at 9:30 Wednesday morning after which the bodies were brought to Mansfield and held in the Baptist Church for a short time where Revs. J. E. Seal and Selph Jones offered prayer and words of comfort to the bereaved relatives.  The bodies were sent to New Haven, Conn., the home of Mrs. Newton, for burial.  They were brought from St. Louis to Mansfield and returned by automobile, then shipped by train from St. Louis to New Haven.  Besides his parents, Mr. Newton is survived by 4 brothers:  J. D. Newton of Springfield, Mo., P. W. Newton of Mansfield, F. E. Newton of Mansfield, and L. R. Newton of St. Louis; 5 sisters:  Mrs. Samantha Rippee of Tipton, Okla., Mrs. Sammie Spence of Mansfield, Mrs. Fred Campbell of Warrensburg, Mo., Mrs. Elmer Hartzell of Hogo and Mrs. Jessie Cantrell of Mansfield.  Mr. Newton had been an employee of the P. O. Department at Washington, D.C. since 1914.  He was converted at the age of 19 years.  He was 50 years of age.  Mrs. Newton was about 32 years old and was married to Mr. Newton Jan. 26, 1925.  To this union was born one son, Robert Dalghesh Newton.  Besides this son, she leaves her mother, Mrs. Robert Dalghesh of Washington, D.C.  She was converted early in life and joined the Baptist Church at New Haven, Conn.

W. H. Wright, owner of Brown's Cave at Rippee, was in town Saturday to consult a doctor, and while here paid the Index a pleasant and profitable call, moving his subscription up another year.  Born in England 86 years ago and a veteran of the Civil War, Mr. Wright still lives an active life.  He informs us that on account of lack of appreciation on the part of a certain element, he contemplates closing the cave to the public and turning the grounds into a sheep pasture.

Marriage Licenses:  Earl Dennis and Lois Lucas, both of Norwood; N. C. Claxton and Brazeala Young, both of Hartville

September 18, 1930:

Marriage Licenses:  C. N. Findley of Macomb and Sarah Moreland of Hartville

At the meeting of the Republican State committee in Jefferson City last week, Arthur M. Curtis of Springfield was chosen as State Chairman to direct the Republican campaign in the state this fall.  Mr. Curtis was born Oct. 18, 1886, near Norwood and attended high school at Norwood and Hartville.  Was graduated from the law department of Missouri University in 1908.  Elected prosecuting attorney of Wright County in November 1908 and re-elected in 1910.  He practised law in Hartville until January 1924 when he moved to Springfield.  Was chairman of the Greene County Republican committee at the time of his elevation to the state chairmanship.

Mrs. Sada Barlett was born in Douglas County, Mo., March 16, 1906.  Died Sept. 5, 1930 at Avant, Okla.  She was converted in October 1928.  Mrs. Bartlett is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Hicks of Cheney, Mo.  She leaves her husband, James L. Bartlett, a small son and 3 stepchildren; her father and mother, 3 brothers and 3 sisters.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Archie Holford of Brushy Know, Monday, Sept. 8th and her body was laid to rest in the Yates Cemetery.

John C. Pope was united in marriage to Icie Mae Cox in Springfield August 21.  The couple are now at home in Hartville.

September 25, 1930:

Marriage Licenses:  Earl C. Rosevear and Dorris Johnson, both of Mansfield; Charles R. Smart and Bernice Preston, both of Mountain Grove.

A hearing on a habeas corpus writ to prevent the return of Oda McIntosh to Wyandotte County where he is wanted on a charge of wife desertion and non-support will be held Friday at Norwood, Mo.  McIntosh was arrested September 13 by Clyde Morgan, a deputy marshal of the city court.  While Morgan waited with his prisoner for a train to Kansas City, he was served with a court order preventing him from returning McIntosh.  Chester H. Loughbom, a deputy county attorney, will represent Kansas at the hearing today.  McIntosh is charged by his wife, Mrs. May McIntosh of Kansas City, Kansas, with having deserted her and their 3 children June 1929.---Kansas City Star     As stated in the Kansas City Star, the Kansas officers came Friday for the habeas corpus hearing before Judge H. J. Schofield.  As they came armed with requisition papers from the Governor for McIntosh's return to Kansas, he was turned over to them and taken back to face the charges there.

William H. Wright, aged and highly respected citizen of Rippee, Douglas County, died Friday evening at 7:30 after an illness of about two weeks at the J. D. Burke rooms in Norwood.  Mr. Wright was given the best care and medical aid but his age was against him.  Dr. VanNoy, the attending physician, Dr. Russell of Springfield and Dr. Ryan of Mountain Grove, with Mrs. Burke as nurse, did everything possible for his relief.  His body was taken to Onedia, Kansas, on the Sunnyland Sunday for burial at his former home there.  He is survived by 5 daughters and one son as follows:  Mrs. Laura Bird, Seneca, Kans.; Mrs. Grace Sage, Siloam Springs, Ark.; Mrs. Oliver Schooler, Onedia, Kansas.; J. Charles Wright, Fairbury, Nebr.; Mrs. Edith Stults, Siloam Springs, Ark.; and Mrs. Eva Vernon, Rippee, Mo.  All the children except Mrs. Schooler were at his bedside when he passed away and she visited him during his illness.  Other relatives who came were 3 grandchildren of the Sage family and a granddaughter, Mrs. Alva Corn and her husband, of Springfield.  Mr. Wright was the owner of the Brown Cave near Rippee where he owned several hundred acres of land.  He was born in England in 1844, coming to America while a boy.  He served in the Union Army during the Civil War.

John A. Williams died Sunday at his home north of town.  Burial was in the Curtis Cemetery Monday.

Sheriff Crewse made a trip last week to Oregon, Missouri and returned Joe Lathrom of near Dawson who is wanted for burglary and larceny in this county.

Raymond Strunk, Charley Schuette and Orvill Strunk, accompanied Jim Dodson to Ava, Thursday to get his divorce from Mrs. Sallie Warner Dodson of Warrensburg.

Friends in this vicinity regret very much to hear of the death of Uncle Jack Wilson, who lived northeast of Mountain Grove and extend to the aged wife our deepest sympathy.

Mrs. W. E. Jones received word of the birth of a daughter to Mrs. Archie Cochran of Granite City, Ill.  She was formerly Miss Macie Jones of this place.

October 2, 1930:

Roy E. Leaderbrand, filling station operator of Macomb, Wright County, filed a bankruptcy petition in United States district court here Friday, listing liabilities of $3218.28, but assets of only $245.---Springfield Daily News

William VanHooser and Nellie VanHooser, his wife, are being held by county officials in connection with the robbery of Roy Emmerson's store at New Grove last winter.  Some of the stolen goods were found in Mrs. VanHooser's possession.  Two more parties who were connected with the robbery have not yet been apprehended.

Marriage Licenses:  Otto Hamby of Smallett and Velma Garrison of Seymour; Oral Long of Freemont, Neb. and Lillie Carriger of Loring

Mr. and Mrs. Jason Findley are rejoicing over the arrival in their home of a new baby boy, born Tuesday.

Harry Vining and Jesse Davidson started to the baptizing but, on account of car trouble, stopped at Charlie Davis' and spent the afternoon singing and visiting.

As Mr. and Mrs. Horton, of Prior, accompanied by Miss Gold Horton, were returning from Arkansas the car got away from Mr. Horton and ran into a ditch, hurting Mrs. Horton badly and affecting her mind.  Miss Golda's skull was fractured and she was unconscious for three hours.  They are improving nicely.

October 9, 1930:

There will be a meeting at the Ryan Bank building in Norwood Friday, Oct. 10, at 2 p.m. for the purpose of discussing the mineral possibilities of this vicinity.  Mr. H. C. McCandless who has spent the past five months investigating the prospects for mineral development in this section of the Ozarks will explain conditions as he has found them and state his reasons for believing that minerals in paying quantities are to be had here.  Mr. McCandless has had much experience in this work and is enthusiastic about the prospects around Norwood.  He represents a Chicago firm which has abundant capital in prospect for development work just as soon as it is demonstrated that the mineral is here.  Their plan is to secure a drill capable of going down 1000 feet to be used in locating the mineral.  They have about 1000 acres of land leased at present.   Everybody is invited to attend the meeting Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. Turner are rejoicing over the arrival of a 9 1/2 pound baby girl born Tuesday, Sept. 30.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. William Miller, Saturday, Oct. 4th, a baby boy.

Marriage Licenses:  Arthur Caudle and Eunice Calhoun, both of Norwood; Edgar Nettleton and Opha E. Waker, both of Mountain Grove

Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Shaw are rejoicing over the arrival of a fine 7 1/2 pound daughter last Friday morning.  This makes two sons and two daughters for them.

Morris Frost, Estell Duggan and Bill VanHooser broke jail about 7:00 p.m. Sunday night by grabbing Lester Crewse as he opened the cage door to give them their supper.  As young Crewse opened the door, Frost grabbed him and threw him upon the bed.  Duggan and Van Hooser proceeded to pry a bar out of one of the windows.  After the bar was removed, the trio locked young Crewse in the cage and made their escape.

A liberal reward will be paid for information leading to arrest and conviction of party or parties who cut and stole air hose of Phillips Petroleum Co. at their station on highway.

Mr. and Mrs. Orville Sisco are rejoicing over the arrival of a new baby boy in their home last Friday morning.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Blackwell Sunday morning, a 13 1/2 pound boy.  Mrs. Blackwell is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Saladin 3 miles north of Norwood.

Sunday night as David Guinn was driving alone near the Moore School house, he was robbed of his car and money, it is reported.  Tuesday the car was found about 1 1/2 miles from the scene of the hold-up.

October 16, 1930:

At the Habeas Corpus hearing Monday, the 13th, before Judge H. J. Schofield at Norwood, J. A. Wheeler who was being held by the officers on a warrant from Alabama charging him with being a fugitive from justice was discharged from the custody of the officers after hearing the evidence.  C. H. Jackson represented Mr. Wheeler, Wm. H. Robinett represented Andrew Allen, L. E. Newton of Hartville, prosecuting attorney, represented the state.

The following is taken from a Montana paper.  The Absher child who was injured is a grandson of Mrs. Audrey Jones of Norwood while the Hill girl was a niece of Bill Hill.  Anaconda, Sept. 25:  Clara Belle Hill, 13, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry M. Hill and member of the 6th grade at Lincoln school, was killed instantly yesterday afternoon on the Cable road, 16 miles west of Anaconda, when struck by a falling tree, while she was aiding her family in procuring the winter's supply of wood.  Donald Absher, 2 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Absher, was treated at St. Ann's hospital last night for injuries but was allowed to return home.  His injuries are considered slight.  Clara Belle Hill was sitting in the front seat of the family motor car holding the 3 months old Absher baby in her arms when a tree notched by Mr. Absher fell, crashing through the roof of the touring car and Clara Belle received the full force of the blow, it cutting a hole of approximately two inches through her forehead.  The infant was uninjured.  The blow apparently was made by a fork of the tree rather than a straight crushing blow.  The tree jumped about 15 feet from the stump in the direction of the machine, according to Mr. Absher who was handling the axe.  Mr. Hill and Mrs. Absher handled the saw.  Clara Belle was an unusually bright student and remained from school yesterday to take care of the Absher children while the adult members of the family gathered wood.  She was a member of the Methodist Church.  She was born in Norwood, Mo.  She is survived by 2 brothers, Arthur and Ben, and her parents.

Mr. Roy Burnett and Miss Sadie Mozley, were united in marriage at Carthage Monday.  Tuesday night their friends here planned a charivari party for them.  The newly weds hid out but were finally captured, placed in a trailer and taken to Mountain Grove and back after which a midnight chicken dinner was served at the groom's home west of town.

Lillian Caudle received news last week that her daughter, Mrs. Laura Ellison and family had been in a car accident.  Laura and her husband were both injured and are in the hospital with broken bones.  The children were unhurt.  The last report they were getting along nicely, but it will be several weeks before Laura can leave the hospital.

A little fellow of 5 years fell and cut his upper lip so badly that a doctor had to be summoned to sew up the wound.  The mother, in distress, could not refrain from saying:  "Oh, doctor, I fear it will leave a disfiguring scar."  Tommy looked up into her tearful face and said:  "Never mind, mamma, my moustache will cover it."

Marriage Licenses:  Virgil C. Lawler of Hartville and Juanita Curtis of St. George; J. R. Harris and Ella Dalton, both of Mansfield; Avery M. Gaddis and Mildred Smith, both of Astoria; J. M. Jones of Grovesprings and Maydra Goswick of Hartville; Everett Martin and Leona Raney, both of Hartville; William L. Nunn and Pearl Zitzman, both of Freece, Kansas

Vernon Baker, 13 years old, of Mansfield, was instantly killed Sunday when he was struck by an automobile driven by J. F. Miller of Huntington Park, Calif. on highway 60 west of Mansfield.  The boy had just stepped from a car driven by Scott Millsap.  He walked around the rear and directly into the path of the Miller car.  A coroner's jury held the accident unavoidable.

Deputy Constable Frank Jarrett of Mountain Grove confiscated 40 gallons of whiskey Friday morning when he came upon two unidentified men loading it into an automobile on the highway near Mountain Grove.  The men escaped in the car, however.  Jarrett will turn the liquor over to federal prohibition agents from Springfield, along with Tobe Frisby of Mountain Grove, who interfered when Jarrett attempted to arrest the two men.  Frisby was with them on the highway when the officer arrived.  Constable Jarrett trailed the men to the lonely spot about two miles out when he learned they had been in town taking orders for liquor.---Springfield Daily News

October 23, 1930:

On Thursday evening of last week Miss Irene Devault, daughter of Mrs. J. F. McCall, and Mr. Arch Gann living about 8 miles northwest of town, were united in marriage at Hartville.  After being married they came to the bride's home here where they were given a charivari by their many friends and neighbors at nearly 11 o'clock.  The young couple is now at the home of the groom's parents.  They expect to leave soon for California.

Mrs. Seal, wife of Rev. J. E. Seal, died at the family residence in Mansfield Sunday after several weeks illness.  Funeral services were conducted at the Mansfield Baptist Church Monday afternoon by her pastor, Rev. George Pierce.  Mrs. Seal was the mother of 15 children, 5 of whom died in infancy.  All the living children except one were present at the funeral.

At about 2:30 o'clock Saturday morning three men forced their way through the windows at the Frisco station here and attempted to break into the safe therein.  Having failed in this attempt, they were about to leave when Murf Chandler, Senior in the Norwood high school and train meeter, came over to get the mail from the southbound passenger and to meet the northbound train which was on the side track, awaiting the former.  As he came around the corner of the station he was met with the command to "Reach for it." and a single barrel shotgun was thrust in his fact.  He complied and was blindfolded and put in a Model A. Ford roadster, and after circling around the streets in town, the roadster left town, Chandler knew not in which direction.  But presently they halted and Chandler was thrown out after being told that he better not tell anyone about it until after daylight "if you value your life."  No knowing where he was, Chandler decided to follow the fence inside a field by the road until he saw some marks of identification.  He soon came upon a barn which proved to belong to Roy Anderson, and was near the Jarrett filling station.  He immediately set out for town and arrived here about 5:00 a.m. to find that the news had already been spread.  His father had become worried about him not coming back to the restaurant where he lives and went to see what was the trouble.  A car of the same description as the one used in the robbery was seen a little earlier and the license number was taken.  A license of the same number was reported stolen in Springfield before reports of the attempted robbery had reached there.  No further clues of importance have been found.

Mr. and Mrs. Ray Sludder of Kansas lost their 3 months old baby boy last week.  They brought him back to Strunk Cemetery for burial Sunday.

October 30, 1930:

The Buffalo Bill gold mine has been opened on the William Starks farm adjoining the Hickory Flat school house five miles southwest of Norwood and considerable ore has already been removed.  That may sound like an idle dream or a fairy tale to many, but it simply states the facts as they exist, samples of the ore having been assayed at the government offices in Denver.  The report from Denver was that it assayed $6 to the ton in gold and 25 cents in silver.  The ore sent in came from a depth of only three feet or less and it is said by those on the ground that the ore now being mined is far better and will probably yield $30 to the ton.  Zinc and other metals are also being found near this place.  Mr. Stark and his neighbors have associated themselves together and as soon as they complete their fall work on the farms will go to work in earnest in removing the minerals from the earth.  Samples of the ore were exhibited at the Index offices and appeared to be rich in the precious metal.  Report have also reached us that gold has been discovered north of town but we have received no particulars.  It may be that after all, these Ozark hills and rocks are useful for something besides just serving to keep the world from falling apart.

Miss Dorothy Burke of Gary, Ind., but formerly of Norwood and Mr. Robert Munro, also of Gary, were united in holy matrimony Friday, October 24th, at Crown Point, Ind., county seat of Lake County.  Miss Berniece Burke of Norwood, a cousin of the bride, and James Munro of Gary, brother of the groom, were witnesses to the marriage.  An excellent supper was served in their home the evening of the wedding.  After supper was served all had a jolly good time playing various games, singing and with music.  The newly married couple will make their home in east Gary, Ind.

The contractors have pitched their tents on highway 60 west of Norwood and are preparing to start to work on the road between here and Mansfield.  Reports are that all their autos bear Minnesota license plates and that all workmen are to be brought with them.  Norwood citizens applying for work have met with refusal.  If this is a sample of the brand of farm relief that is to be handed out to the Ozarks by the State Highway Department, we will take ours in some other brand.

Court is in session at Hartville this week and numbers of our citizens have been in attendance, but reports are that on account of the nearness of election and the usual playing of politics, not much is being done, all important criminal cases being continued.

Another bank gone overboard.  The Bank of Ava was closed last Thursday by order of the board of directors and the depositors are left, as usual, to hold the bag.  These be trying times for those engaged in the banking business but more trying for those who have entrusted their savings to the care of the banks.

November 6, 1930:

Circuit Court Notes:  Cases were disposed of in circuit court in Hartville last week (these are a few) as follows:  All the Norwood bank cases were continued at the cost of the State;  In the case of the State vs Arthur Hunter and Fred Anderson, robbery with fire arms, Hunter was granted a change of venue to Webster County and his bone fixed at $5000. Nolle as to Anderson;  Harrison Royal, selling liquor, 2 years in penitentiary.  Civil Cases:  Lula Chadwell vs Elbert Chadwell, divorce, dismissed;  Hazel Towndrow vs Hazel Towndrow, divorce, decree for plaintiff (this is what was printed);  J. C. Davidson vs Mary A. Davidson, divorce decree for plaintiff; August Esa vs Marths A. Esa, motion to modify divorce, trial by court and defendant given custody of his minor child; J. S. George vs Nellie George, divorce, decree for plaintiff; Floretto Sherrell bs Fred Sherrell, divorce, plaintiff give custody of minor children, temporary alimony of $300; Hattie Chadwell vs Sam B. Chadwell, divorce, continued; Earl Ritchey vs Vivian Ritchey, divorce, decree for plaintiff; Lucille Taylor vs Harry Taylor, divorce, decree for plaintiff; Glenis Admire vs Woodrow Admire, divorce, decree for plaintiff and maiden name of Davis restored; John Jones vs Margurte Jones, divorce, decree for plaintiff; Clarence Belcher vs Lula Belcher, divorce, decree for defandant on cross bill, defendant given custody of minor child; Jim Wilson vs Nettie Wilson, divorce, continued; Vietta Sparks vs Ira Sparks, divorce, dismissed; Cora Moody vs William Moody, divorce, judgement for plaintiff.

Our people were horrified Sunday afternoon to learn that Henry Killian had been murdered Saturday night at his home just outside of Norwood to the southeast.  Frank Killian, brother of the slain man, discovered the body Sunday afternoon when he went to the home of his brother and found that the house had been ransacked by someone who had evidently made a thorough search for hidden money, even the bedding having been cut and torn to pieces.  The body was found about 40 yards from the house where it had evidently been dragged and partially covered with leaves.  He had been shot through the left hand, left arm and left breast just below the heart with a .32 calibre revolver.  It is thought by some that the murderer or murderers had started to drag the body to the pond a short distance away but for some reason abandoned the idea and left it where found.  Killian was 62 years old and had lived alone since the death of his father, Mose Killian, a little more than two years ago.  Besides Frank he is survived by two brothers, Phillip and Martin, of California, and two sisters, Mrs. Eupha Ryan of Norwood and one in California.  After finding the body of his brother, Frank hurried to the home of E. L. Finch and notified him of the tragedy.  Finch went to the home of J. E. Kelley and telephoned for the sheriff and coroner.  After the arrival of the officers, the body was brought to the Bouldin Funeral Home in Norwood where it was prepared for burial.  The blood hounds of D. S. Furnell of Mountain Grove were secured and after picking up a scent inside the house followed a trail east to the road leading into Norwood where it was lost, indicating to the officers that the party or parties had escaped in an automobile.  A jury was called consisting of J. A. Randall, L. C. Gregory, Ed Kelley, J. A. Kempt, N. M. Ball and E. A. Richardson and an inquest was held, beginning Monday and being continued until Wednesday when the jury was discharged after reaching the following verdict:  We find that death was caused by gun shot wounds inflicted by some person or persons unknown to the coroner's jury.  No evidence of importance was developed at the inquest but officers are still working on the case and it is hoped will be able to solve the mystery and mete out justice to the guilty parties.  The body is being held to await the arrival of relatives from California.

(a different column....same paper)
About 4:30 Tuesday afternoon officers Henry Bradshaw, Charles Cole and L. R. Small arrested two men near the Killian pond, about 40 yards east of where Henry Killian was murdered Saturday night.  The men were driving a 1927 model Buick sedan and had stopped at this place to rest, so they said.  Upon being questioned by the officers they showed signs of uneasiness and when the car was investigated they showed still more nervousness.  They were searched; a blackjack taken from one and a .38 automatic revolver from the other. They also carried razors.  Further questioning revealed the fact that they had stolen the car in the stock yards in Wichita, Kansas, Monday night.  They were separated for questioning and each one claimed the car was taken by the other, and they also crossed themselves in other ways.  They were taken to Hartville and turned over to the Sheriff Tuesday evening about 7:30.  They gave their names as Loyd Eldon Hagerty, of Sereinville, Tenn., and Ira Gilford Harris, whose address we did not get.  They are about 23 years of age.  They had come by way of Ava over highway 14 and then turned off and came this way.  They are under suspicion of being the men who robbed the Niangua and Republic banks and one of them fits the description of the kidnapper of Mrs. Alma McKinley of Greenfield.  However, nothing has developed as yet to definitely connect them with these cases.  These Norwood officers are to be commended for their work in capturing the men.

J. A. G. Reynolds, cashier of the Bank of Ava which was closed two weeks ago, committed suicide Wednesday by hanging himself in his barn in Ava.

Marriage Licenses:  Archie Gann of Mansfield and Irene Devault of Norwood; B. Anderson and Eva McDowell, both of Bagnell; Bernell Reeves and Florence Oliver, both of Hartville; Carl Willis of Keltner and Sylvia Newberry of Hartville; Earl Deckard of Grovespring and Laverne Davis of Lebanon; Vermer Grimes and Wilma Kincaid, both of Grovespring; Merlin Stanifer and Mazie Moles, both of Mansfield; Clyde Huggans and Opal Lewis, both of Mansfield; Robert Simmons of Seymour and Mary Lively of Hartville; Everett Brasher and Vineta Murrell, both of Hartville

Word has been received here of the birth of a son to Mr. and Mrs. Chester Dauber of Kansas.

Mrs. Fred Proctor and children have returned to their farm near Denlow after a visit with home folks.  Mr. Proctor had planned on going elsewhere for employment, but after hearing of the scarcity of work, decided the farm was safest.

Mrs. J. P. Book was called home Friday by the illness of her daughter, Lyllvan.  Mrs. Book had gone to Green, Kansas to see her aged mother who passed away a week ago.

Miss Lillie Towe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Towe and Carl Hamaker of Olathe were married Friday Oct. 31, in Mansfield.

Sherman Welch has had Willie Sparks helping him make molasses.  Just got through Thursday; only had 106 gallons.

November 13, 1930:

J. F. Startup of the Maxwell Construction Company of Columbus, Kansas, which has the contract for the construction work on highway 60, beginning 3 1/2 miles west of Norwood, was a caller at the Index office Saturday.  Mr. Startup informed us that the report that they were not employing local labor was a mistake as up to the present time about 60 per cent of the men working were residents of this section and that he expected the percentage to be higher as the work progressed and more men taken on.

The funeral of Henry Killian was held Sunday at the Norwood Cemetery where interment took place.  Rev. Love of the Pentecostal church conducted the services.  Mr. Killian's two brothers, Phillip and J. M. from California were here for the funeral.  They arrived Saturday morning and left for home Tuesday morning.

Sunday, November 2, a number of friends and relatives gave Mr. and Mrs. Smith Absher a surprise dinner in honor of their golden wedding anniversary.

A large crowd gathered at the home of Roscoe Allen on the Mink place Sunday Oct. 29, in honor of the 82nd birthday of his father, Uncle Norve Allen.  Uncle Norve as he is known by practically everyone in Wright County, was born in Indiana but came to this county when he was 2 years of age and has lived here continuously ever since.  When he was 22 years of age, taught his first term of school in Wright County at what is now known as West Campbell district near Mountain Grove.  He is well and hearty and unusually active for one of his age.  After the crowd had gathered a sumptuous dinner was spread and everyone enjoyed themselves.  There was singing and preaching by Rev. Mose Willis in the afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Jim Nelson are the proud parents of a baby boy, born last week.

Sheriff Crewse has received word that Mike Frost, who escaped jail with two others some time ago, is being held by officers in Ponca City, Okla.

Work at the Buffalo Bill gold mine near Hickory Flat is progressing in a satisfactory manner.  More samples were sent away to be assayed Saturday and if it proves as good as expected the future development of the property is assured.

The death angel came to our community again on Friday, taking the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Roger Roy.  The little fellow only lived 18 hours.  The remains were buried in the Brushy Knob Cemetery.

November 20, 1930:

Several from this community attended the funeral of Mrs. Clara Grogan Sunday.  She was raised north of here, but died in Chanute, Kansas and was buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery.

Last Friday night some unknown thieves broke into the Ellis Barber and Jewelry shop at Hartville and stole a 21 jewel South Bend watch and a quantity of cigarettes and candy.  They entered through a rear window by breaking the glass.  The attempted to break into the City Grocery and Wynn Bro. Mercantile Do., by boring holes in the doors so that they might reach inside and turn the locks.  They nearly accomplished their purpose at the City Grocery, but for some unknown reason their plans fell short.  No trace of the guilty parties has been discovered.

Marriage Licenses:  W. M. Dulaney and Lizzie Webb, both of Mountain Grove; Owen Claxton of Grovespring and Ruth Plunk of Mountain Grove; Leland Nipper of Manes and Eva Crisp of St. George; Clayton Stigall of Hartville and Dorothy Curtis of St. George; Harold Pirtle of Fordland and Edna Williams of Seymour

Officers Mose Gray and Henry Bradshaw found Pete Rogers' can of milk near Macomb on Highway 60 last week and returned same to him for which he is very thankful.  It was stolen several weeks ago.

Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Brook have received word from their daughter, May, in California that she was united in marriage to Henry Long, who was reared up to manhood near Dawson, Mo.

November 27, 1930:

Marriage Licenses:  Charley Routh and Leora Walls, both of Seccess, Tex.; Arthur Floyd Williams of Brush, Colo. and Agness Murrell Wade of Embree, Tex.; E. S. James and Willie Rose, both of Ava; Lewis Anderson Ussery and Ruth Bell Burch, both of Mountain Grove.

Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Tolbert are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby son.

Raymond Van is the name given to the new boy born to Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Prince in Springfield last Friday.

Mrs. C. W. Moyer received word last week that her mother had passed away.

Delbert Sisco died at Green Mountain, Wyo. last week.  His sister Pearlie and father, Drew, were at his bedside when he died with pneumonia.  They are expected to bring him to Coldsprings to bury him by the side of his mother.

December 4, 1930:

Joseph A. Hanes, aged and highly respected citizen of this community, died at his home in Norwood at 7 o'clock Saturday evening as a result of a stroke of paralysis suffered Nov. 5.  Short funeral services were held at the home Sunday afternoon, being conducted by Rev. C. N. Means, pastor of the Baptist church and services at the Thomas Cemetery where interment took place were in charge of the Masonic Lodge of Norwood of which Mr. Hanes was a member.  Deceased was born in Pittsburg, Penn. Sept. 15, 1852 and died Nov. 29, 1930 at the age of 78 years, two months and 14 days.  He was for many years a member of the Presbyterian church.  He leaves no children, but is survived by his wife.  He is also survived by one stepson, Scott Whittaker, of Mammoth Springs, Ark.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas L. Burke, Thanksgiving Day, a boy.  Mother and baby O.K.

Last week we failed to mention the arrival of a new baby boy at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Akers.  This is their first child.

William Henderson, 72, pioneer farmer and stockman of Wright County, was shot and killed Tuesday by his son-in-law, Albert Bledsoe, 42, following a family feud of long standing.  Bledsoe went to Hartville where he surrendered to Sheriff M. J. Crewse.  The family troubles were said by friend to have reached a climax when Henderson went to his adjoining farm, occupied by Bledsoe, and ordered him to vacate immediately.  Bledsoe said his father-in-law approached him in a threatening manner.  Bledsoe opened fire with a shot-gun killing Henderson.  The shooting was witnessed by Warren Boyer, 14 year old stepson of Bledsoe.

December 11, 1930:

Mrs. Julia Hyden, age 53, died Saturday night at the home of her brother, Edd McIntosh, in Norwood, after a short illness.  Interment was in Shiloh Sunday afternoon.  Mrs. Hyden came here from Tarkio to spend Thanksgiving with her brother and other relatives.  She is survived by 2 daughters and 2 sons.

While hunting Saturday Jerry Newton had the misfortune of getting the large toe on his right foot shot off.  In placing the muzzle of his hammerless shotgun on the toe of his shoe the trigger caught on something, discharging the gun with results as above stated.  Dr. VanNoy dressed the wound and he is getting along very well.

Progress is reported at the Buffalo Bill mine and prospects look good to those on the ground.  A former citizen of Idaho has taken an interest in this mine and has furnished both labor and capital.  This encouraged the neighbors who started the work and all are putting forth renewed efforts as the prospects brighten.

Delbert Sisco was married and father of one boy.  The wife and son remained in Idaho.

December 18, 1930:

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Robertson are the proud parents of a baby boy born Dec. 5th.  The youngster has been named John Robert.

Marriage Licenses:  Clarence Bartley and Cleo Marie Snavely, both of Norwood; Clifford Hightower of Loring and Julia McNealy of Hartville

An exchange says "It used to be when a vehicle whizzed past, it was a sign some horse was feeling his oats.  Now, it's a sign that some jackass is feeling his rye.

Lewis Wilson Lathrom, 17 years old, was killed instantly Sunday morning near Mountain Grove when a shotgun with which he was hunting rabbits was discharged into his jaw when the trigger caught on a wire fence over which he was crawling.  Lathrom and George Goode, 14, a Mountain Grove school boy, were just starting on their hunting trip when the fatal accident occurred.  Goode said that Lathrom had placed the gun on the other side of the fence, barrel pointing upward, and had started to climb over, apparently releasing the trigger by the pressure on the wire on which he had placed his weight.  Young Lathrom was the son of Henry W. Lathrom, sexton of the Mountain Grove Cemetery.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Houston Bolt, Monday night, a baby boy.

Mr. Clarence Bartley and Miss Cleo Snavely were united in marriage Tuesday.

The arrival of a new baby girl is reported at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ted Bruton Saturday night.

The Texas County Court house at Houston was destroyed by fire Sunday night.  Most of the records were saved.

News has been received at the Sheriff's office in Hartville that Vincent Cottengim is serving a ten months sentence for grand larceny at Fargo, North Dakota.  Efforts are being made to have him returned to Wright County to stand trial for the assault made upon Mabel Adams Burnett and her friend last fall.  It is believed that the North Dakota authorities will surrender him to Sheriff Crewse so that he may be tried upon the more serious charge.

Rod Raney received a telegram the first of the week stating that the husband of his daughter Ida, had died of typhoid fever.

December 25, 1930:

Dave Lucas died at his home at Owensville, Friday evening at 8 o'clock, age 21 years, 9 months and 14 days.  He accepted Christ 4 years ago and held his membership at Oak Grove Baptist Church.  Funeral services were held Sunday with burial in Smalley Cemetery.  he leaves a father, mother, three sisters and three brothers.

Murphy Allen is spending a few days with his Uncle Bob Allen.

The death of Frank Sisco here early Saturday evening was particularly said.  Made more so from the fact that he was "a stranger in a far country", yet all that willing hands could do was extended to him during his sickness and following his death.  Because of seriousness of his condition from the very first, relatives in New York and Missouri were notified and his father came for Cold Springs, Mo. on Wednesday before his death.  The young man suffered a nervous breakdown early in October while working in New York and came to Platteville, October 31st to rest up and regain his health.  He had been gaining steadily until he contracted a cold which developed within a few hours into plural pneumonia and weakened his heart.  His condition appeared much better Saturday and his father was hopeful of his recovery only a few short hours before death claimed him.  Delbert Franklin Sisco was born July 31, 1906 at Cold Springfield, Mo.  He was the son of A. J. and Dorevlew Mears Sisco.  He is survived by his father, 5 sisters and 5 brothers:  Mrs. Pearl Galanos of New York City; Mrs. Opal Ussery, Norwood Mo.; Mrs. Edna Todd, Seymour, Mo.; Edith, Lillian, James, Lester, Howard, Augustus and Paul of Cold Springs, Mo.  His mother died two years ago next March while in Fort Lupton where she was residing in a effort to regain her health.  The young man was a follower of the Free Will Baptist Church.  Death claimed him at 6:15 Saturday evening, November 22, at the W. T. Mason home.  Johnstown and Humphrey's Funeral home prepared the body for shipment to the old home near Cold Springs.---Colorado Paper

January 1, 1931:

News has reached here of the death of J. A. Russell.  The funeral was at 1 o'clock Monday at the Baptist church in Mountain Grove.

David Lucas departed from this life to Heaven.  Since his conversion 4 years ago, he had been a wonderful Christian worker.  He had long been ailing and suffered an awful lot.  Afflicted since early childhood, dregs os the disease had left him so.  At 8:00 p.m. December 19th, 1930, friends were shocked to know that life had fled.  Those left to mourn their loss, a mother, father, 3 brothers and 4 sisters, Miss Dorothy, a younger brother Ray, Ernest and Frank Lucas, Mrs. Lois Dennis, Mrs. Artie Tedric and Mrs. Gretta Moore, all of near Norwood.  Those attending the funeral from a distance were a grandmother, Mrs. Peggy Jane Lucas, 2 uncles, Lourn Lucas and Cleave Smith, all of Weir City, Kansas.  The funeral was conducted by Rev. Selph Jones.  Interment was in the Smalley Cemetery.

January 8, 1931:

Sister Harriet Proctor, wife of T. C. Proctor, of Denlow, departed this life Dec. 30, 1930, at the age of 75 years, 8 months and 14 days.  Sister Proctor was a member of the General Baptist church.  She was married to T. C. Proctor in September, 1875.  Twelve children were born to this union.  Two died in infancy.  Ten children and her aged husband are left to mourn her departure.  She leaves 53 grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Burial in Denlow Cemetery.

Ben Absher, city marshall of Mansfield, informs us that the rumor which was started last Saturday that his gun had been taken from him by a bandit was unfounded.  He states that he had no trouble with anyone that day and that he is still wearing the same gun which it was alleged was taken from him.

Marriage Licenses:  Ted Jenkins and Oval Clements, both of Roy; W. A. Helsley and Mrs. J. H. Plunk, both of Mountain Grove; Joe S. VanNess and Verna May Brazeal, both of Mansfield; Johnie Buck and Mae Fisher, both of Hartville; Jesse Curtis and Velma Gourley, both of St. George; Jack Sparks of Mountain Grove and Elizabeth Long of Manes; Andy Chamber and Vonia Hutson, both of Hartville; Cleveland Petet of Grovespring and Jessie Burtlow of Hartville

Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Owens are the proud parents of a new baby girl weighing 11 lbs. born last Wednesday night.

Homer L. Roy and Miss May Jefferson were united in marriage Dec. 31, 1930.

Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Williams are the proud parents of a new baby girl born Dec. 27.

January 15, 1931:

What threatened to be a disastrous fire broke out in the rear end of Mrs. P. D. Little's store last Thursday morning at about 11:30.  Mrs. Little had locked up and gone home just a few minutes before the fire was discovered by a passer-by who gave the alarm.  By the hectic use of fire extinguishers, snow and water, the volunteer fire fighters were able to get it under control and saved the block from destruction.  It is thought that the fire started from an oil stove but its origin is not known for certain.  Mrs. Little suffered several hundred dollars loss which was partially covered by insurance.  Most of the grocery stock of E. E. Raney next door was carried out before the fire was gotten under control.  Mr. Raney's insurance had expired a few days previous, it is said.

January 22, 1931:

William M. Giles, 68 years old, one of the early settlers in the east end of Douglas County, died suddenly here at 11:15 o'clock Wednesday night from an attack of apoplexy.  Mr. and Mrs. Giles and two of their sons, Ralph and Frank, had been attending court here this week.  Wednesday afternoon Mrs. Giles and the two sons returned to their home at Tedrick, but Mr. Giles remained over to look after some business matters.  He had complained of a headache earlier in the nigh and was preparing to retire at the Hicks Hotel when the attack came upon him at 10:30 o'clock.  A physician was summoned but could be of no aid.  Mr. Giles had been postmaster and justice of the peace at Tedrick for 35 years, and was regarded as general advisor and counsellor for a wide territory in that section of Douglas County.  People came for miles for his advice and counsel not only in business ventures but in matters of trouble and regarding questions of every nature.  Born in Bristol, England, Mr. Giles came to this country at the age of 24 years, locating in the east end of Douglas County.  Thirty-nine years ago he was married to Mary Elizabeth Riley at Coldspring.  To this union 7 children were born, 5 of whom survive.  The surviving children are:  Ralph Giles, Tedrick; Florence Mears, Bakersfield, Calif.; William Giles, Oildale, Calif.; Ada Lehman, Bakersfield, Calif; and Frank Giles, Tedrick.---Douglas County Herald

T. L. Evans, for the past 2 years engaged in the stave business in this county, has just started a mineral prospect on the Harrison farm, just north of Ava.  A drill was moved onto the location Monday and is expected to be in operation before the end of the week.  Mr. Evans has had extensive experience in mining, and is enthusiastic about prospects here.  For 12 years he was superintendent of operations in the largest mining field in Arkansas, 12 miles south of Yellville.  He believes lead ore in paying quantities here, and has leased 640 acres just north of town, on which he expects to confine his efforts for the present.---Douglas County Herald

We were so sorry to hear of the death of little Lois Tate.  The mother and little brother were very sick, but we hope they will soon be well.

News has just reached us of the death of Mrs. Jim Absher of Tulare, Calif.  She died Jan. 1.

January 29, 1931:

Rev. J. P. Mingus, pioneer Baptist minister of Wright County, died at his home near Odin Tuesday night.

This neighborhood was shocked to hear of the death of Mrs. Hilda Colson, who will be remembered as Hilda Freedholm.  She died in Kansas City and her body was brought back to Mountain Grove for burial last Sunday.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Jarrett, Monday January 26, a 12 pound boy.

Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Sikes have traded their property here in Odin to some folks at Jericho.  Mr. Sikes has already moved to his store known as the Elmer Campbell store.  The neighbors regretted to see Mr. Sikes leave, but wish them well wherever they go.  Our new neighbors have already moved in the house where Mr. and Mrs. Sikes lived.  They seem to like Odin fine.

From the Sioux City Tribune:  "For Once Editor Prints Truth About Wedding":  The Rev. Ira E. Carney, pastor of the Red Oak Christian Church, published the following write-up by a South Carolina editor of a wedding in his regular church bulletin Sunday:  "Mr. Robert Chetway and Miss Alice Broadkin were married at noon Monday at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. D. Broadkin.  The Rev. M. L. Gassoway officiating.  The groom is a popular young bum who hasn't done a lick of work since he got shipped in the middle of his junior year in college.  He manages to dress well and keep a supply of spending money because his dad is a soft-hearted old fool who takes up his bad checks instead of letting him go to jail where he belongs.  The bride is a skinny, fast little idiot, who had been kissed and handled by every boy in the city since she was 12.  She paints like a Sioux Indian, sucks cigarettes in secret and drinks mean corn whiskey when she is out joy riding in her dad's car at night.  She doesn't know how to cook, sew or keep house.  The house was newly plastered for the wedding and the exterior newly painted, thus appropriately carrying out the decorative scheme, for the groom was newly plastered also and the bride newly painted.  The groom wore a rented dinner suit over athletic underwear of imitation silk.  His pants were held up by pale green suspenders.  His number eight patent shoes matched his state of tightness and harmonized nicely with the axle grease polish of his hair.  In addition to his jag, he carries a pocket knife, a bunch of keys, a dun for the ring, and his usual look of imbecility.  The bride wore some kind of a white thing that left most of her legs sticking out at one end, and her bony upper end sticking out of the other.  The young couple will make their home with the bride's parents---which means that they will sponge on the old man until he dies and then she will take in washings.  Postscript:  This may be the last issue of my paper, but my life ambition has been to write up one wedding and tell the unvarnished truth.  Now that it is done, death can have no sting."

February 5, 1931:

Theodore Nickle, 23 years old, teacher and coach in the Hartville schools, died in a Springfield hospital Saturday night as a result of trouble which started with the pulling of a wisdom tooth a few weeks ago.  Funeral services were held at the Free Will Baptist Church in Hartville, Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Selph Jones preaching the funeral sermon.  A number of his former associates from Teachers' College and also members of the faculty were in attendance, as well as all the coaches of the altitude league.

Just after dark last Thursday, someone shot William Manier, colored, through a window of his home northeast of town with a shotgun, the charge striking him in the head and neck.  Without fully recovering consciousness, the victim of the assault passed away on Sunday morning.  A good deal of mystery surrounds the affair, quite a number have been suspected, but up to Wednesday of this week, the identity of the murderer is as much of a puzzle as it was at the beginning.  Two young men, Wes Stroud and Johnny Whitley, both Negroes, were held for awhile Saturday, but after being questioned exhaustively, they were released.  The fact that Manier bore a rather unsavory reputation, associating with the lowest type of both white and colored people of the neighborhood and that he had a number of enemies and had something of a criminal record gives plenty of motive, but no excuse for the cowardly murder.  This condition adds to the difficulty in trying to locate the perpetrator.

Rev. J. P. Mingus died at his home near Odin Tuesday night after a short illness and was buried at Mt. Zion church.  Bro. Goss of Seymour preached the funeral and Bro. Selph Jones led the singing.

Mrs. Frank Wedge died at her home in Chicago Jan. 24 and was brought back to Mountain Grove for burial.

February 12, 1931:

William Calhoun passed away at his home in Norwood about 10:30 last Thursday morning and was buried at Wolf Creek Friday, Rev. Selph Jones conducting the funeral in the Wolfe Creek church.  Uncle Bill as he was known to everyone was a native of Wright County and with the exception of a very short time spent in Arkansas lived his entire life here.  William Calhoun was born in Wright County, Mo., June 27, 1848 and died Feb. 5, 1931 at the age of 82 years, 7 months and 9 days.  He was married to Martha Moody July 4, 1872 and to this union 15 children were born---7 sons and 8 daughters.  One boy died in infancy and one daughter preceded him in death two years ago last October.  He leaves his aged wife, 13 children, 58 grandchildren and 36 great-grandchildren.  He professed faith in Christ in his young days and joined the Free Will Baptist church.  All the children with the exception of the oldest son, Aaron, who lives in California, were present at the funeral.  Mrs. Calhoun was unable to make the trip from her home here to the cemetery, it being about 18 miles.  Arrangements were in charge of Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors.

Mr. George Cramer and Miss Flossie Cole were united in marriage in Hartville Tuesday, being accompanied to the county seat by Mrs. Erma Johnson and Mrs. Marshall Cramer.  Tuesday night a large number of friends gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Cramer to help the newly weds celebrate and a part of the crowd remain all night.  The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Cramer and is engaged in the barber business in Norwood.  The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cole of the Fairview neighborhood.  They will make their home in Norwood.

Grandma Shields died Sunday morning at 6:45 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joe Long, north of Norwood.  Death was a result of burns sustained several weeks ago when her clothing caught fire for the stove in the Long home.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge of the funeral which was held Monday afternoon, Rev. Selph Jones preaching the sermon at the Community Church and interment being in the Curtis Cemetery nearby.  Mrs. Shields ws born March 30, 1848, being at the time of her death 82 years, 10 months and 9 days old.

Frank McClellan, star forward on the Cabool high school basketball team, was instantly killed last Friday night when the automobile in which he was riding to Houston to participate in a game there was wrecked on highway 63 five miles south of Houston.  Five other boys in the car with McClellan were injured, but only one of them, Bly, a guard on the team, was hurt seriously.  He sustained a broken arm.  The car was driven by Arthur Lee Woods.  It hit a hog, shot off the highway and plunged down a 16-foot embankment.  Young McClellan's skull was crushed, causing instant death.  The automobile, a Chevrolet Sedan, was a complete wreck.

Harve Mears died at his home at Coldspring last Wednesday night.  Funeral service and burial Friday at Denlow.

A new girl baby arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Sparks, near Norwood, Feb. 2.

Mr. and Mrs. Noel Cox of Denlow report the arrival of a boy on the same day.

Mr. and Mrs. Jess Hull are the proud parents of a baby girl born last Saturday.  They have two girls.

On Monday afternoon Isaac Pryor, 17 year old son of Jim Pryor, who lives on Bridges Creek, walked into the bank at Bakersfield and with a revolver leveled at the cashier, Albert Morris, told him that he needed money.  Mr. Morris, looking into the muzzle of the revolver and at the bandit, asked the bandit how much he wanted and whether $2.50 would be enough.  Pryor, evidently on seeing Mr. Morris, knew he was recognized, lost his nerve and told the cashier that he guessed it would, and taking the money with the revolver still levelled at Morris backed out of the bank and walked off.  Mr. Morris at once spread the alarm and with the constable, Roy Cropper, and others, started in pursuit of Pryor, who had been seen leaving Bakersfield in the direction of Bridges Creek.  Just before reaching his home, the party overtook Pryor, who on first being called on to surrender, drew his revolver, but on being faced with a number of guns in the hands of the party, surrendered.  He was brought to Gainesville where he waived preliminary hearing and was placed in jail to await the action of the circuit court.---Ozark County Times

February 19, 1931:

One of the best pieces of police work that has come to light in this county in recent years is that of local officers in running down and finally placing under arrest the alleged murderers of Henry Killian who was brutally slain at his home near Norwood Friday night, Oct. 31, 1930.  On Saturday, Jan. 31, Harry F. Kelley made an affidavit at Marshfield that he knew who killed Killian, this affidavit being witnessed by Sheriff Poyner of Webster County and M. E. Gray, W. H. Bradshaw and Fred McMillian of this place.  Kelley then named John Wheeler, age 36, as the man who did the killing.  Search was then begun to locate Wheeler and after following a number of false leads given them by Kelley, the officers were told by him that they would find their man at 311 Clay St., Topeka, Kansas.  A telegram was immediately dispatched by Sheriff Crewse to Topeka officers who arrested Wheeler at the address give.  At noon Sunday, Mr. Crewse and M. E. Gray and Henry Bradshaw left Hartville for Topeka, going by the way of Marshfield where they were joined by Sheriff Poyner, taking Kelley with them from there to identify Wheeler.  The identification was made but Wheeler refused to come back to Missouri without requisition papers.  While awaiting the arrival of the papers from Jefferson City, Sheriff Crewse sent Bradshaw and Gray back to Norwood to secure witnesses who had seen Wheeler here the day of the crime so that in case habeas corpus proceedings were brought in Topeka to secure the release of the prisoner, they would be prepared.  Up to the time of going to press Wednesday noon no word had been received from Sheriff Crewse at Topeka and the officers here were still waiting.  The Norwood officers also brought Kelley back to Marshfield jail on their return trip here.  Kelley and Wheeler served time together in the prison at Lansing, Kansas.  Kelley being released on parole last April and Wheeler in July.  Much credit is due Sheriff Crewse, Mose Gray, Henry Bradshaw and Fred McMillian for their untiring efforts in this case.  Since the finding of Killian's body Nov. 2, these men have worked night and day, running down many clues and piecing evidence together here and there until their efforts have been crowned with success.  The following was taken from Sunday's Springfield New and Leader and give Kelley's statement as to his part in the crime:
    The confessed accomplice in the robbery-murder of Henry Killian, 62 year old hermit, whose body was found at his home near Norwood last November 2, has been secretly held in the Webster County jail for two weeks and has named the killer, it was revealed Saturday night.  The prisoner is Harry Kelley, who lives only a short distance from the scene of the killing. The man whom he has named as the murderer and for whom a far-flung but secret search has been in progress for two weeks is John Wheeler, a middle-aged "floater", once a resident of Kansas City.  The disclosure to Kelley's arrest and confession was made early Saturday night at the Market Avenue police station when Sheriff Morgan Crewse of Wright County brought him here to view John Wheeler, a Lawrenceburg, Mo., farm hand, who was arrested early Saturday afternoon as a suspect, and later released.  Kelley was arrested two weeks ago at Marshfield on a bogus check charge.  Officers involved in the case said last night he readily admitted issuing the check.  His own revelation that he lives at Norwood prompted Sheriff John Poynor of Webster County to question him regarding the Killian murder, officers said and soon he made some startling disclosures.  Continued questioning of the prisoner resulted in him finally signing a confession that Wheeler, an old acquaintance, approached him on the Public Square here the afternoon of October 29 and asked him to take part in robbing the aged farmer.  Wheeler, according to a statement from Kelley now in possession of Sheriff Crewse, told Kelley he had been "tipped off that the old man had plenty of dough around his house."  Kelley's statement says he refused steadfastly to agree to take part in the robbery and left Wheeler on the square a few minutes later.  On the afternoon of the following day, Wheeler again approached Kelley, offices aid the statement reveals, here in Springfield and again invited him to take part in a hold-up at the Killian farm.  Again Kelly refused, officers said Kelley contends.  Early the next day, Kelly declares he went to the home of his brother at Norwood.  About 8:30 o'clock that evening Kelly says, Wheeler came to the place and made a third vain attempt to gain his help in the hold-up, which had been planned for that night.  However, Kelly did show the alleged killer where the Killian farm is situated, before turning back to the home of his brother, officers say Kelley admits.  A short time after the two parted, Wheeler returned to Kelly's brother's home and was greeted by Kelley.  In the prisoner's statement he quotes himself as saying to Wheeler:  "Did you have any luck, old man?"
    Thereupon Wheeler revealed that he had robbed and killed the recluse-farmer.  Kelly is reported to have told officers, and asked Kelly to rush him out of the community in Kelly's automobile.  The officers say Kelley had told them he refused to take the alleged murderer away with the excuse that "my automobile is not in running order."  However according to his statement, accepted $86 of an unknown sum stolen from Killian.  Wheeler fled from the community on a freight train, Kelly is said to have told Sheriff Crewse.  Sheriff Crewse, through a source which he declines to divulge, learned that a John Wheeler recently went to work on a farm near Lawrenceburg in Lawrence County, 25 miles west of Springfield.  The farm hand, who professes to be "just sort of a floater," was arrested early Saturday afternoon and brought to police headquarters here just before nightfall.  In the meantime, Kelly had been taken away from the jail at Marshfield and brought to the office of Detective Chief Tony L. Oliver here.  A secret "showup" ended with Kelley refusing to name the farm hand the killer.
    Interviewed fro only a moment by a reporter before he was taken back to Marshfield Saturday night, Kelly readily admitted signing the statement in possession of the officers and declared he was "perfectly aware of the fact" that he will be charged as an accomplice both before and after the crime, but added "I'm willing to do anything to get Wheeler brought to justice.  At present, Kelley is being held in default of bond on the check charge, but charges connecting him with the robbery and killing will be filed in Wright County, Sheriff Crewse said.

Petition in bankruptcy was filed in United States court at Springfield last Thursday afternoon by Alonzo M. Dew, proprietor of Dew's Cash store at Mountain Grove.  The petition list liabilities totalling $3420.32, including $3120.32 in accounts, but assets of only $2300.---Mountain Grove Journal

L. W. Hensley was employed by the County Court to manage the County Farm for a term of 2 years.  He succeeds Sidney Barnett who has been there the past two years.  Mr. Hensley took possession last Sunday.---Wright County Republican

Mrs. Lula Osbern of Kansas City and Mrs. Birdie Lewis of Wichita, Kans., came to attend the funeral of their mother, Mrs. J. S. Anderson who passed away last Friday evening after an illness of several weeks.  Mrs. Anderson leaves 3 children, Mrs. Osbern, Mrs. Lewis and J. W. Anderson; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Funeral services were conducted by Br. Mason of Mountain Grove and the body was laid to rest in the Oak Forest Cemetery, Sunday afternoon.

Mr. Earl Kline and Miss Wilma Lafferty were united in marriage at Mountain Grove Wednesday.  The groom is a grandson of Dr. H. A. Johnson and the bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Lafferty.  A number of boys surprised the newly weds Wednesday evening with an old fashioned charivari after which they were invited in and refreshments were served.

Harve G. Mears was born in Douglas County, Mo. January 31, 1885 and departed this life February 4, at his home near Coldspring, at the age of 46 years, 4 days.  He was united in marriage to Clara Hodge Feb. 24, 1907, who survives.  He is also survived by 2 brother and 2 sisters, John Mears, Coldspring; Oliver Mears, Parkson, Kans.; Daisy Farley, Coffeeville, Kans.; and Nellie Haynes, Flint, Mich.  Funeral services were conducted at the Coldspring school house by Rev. Arch Halford, followed by burial in the Clover Creek Unity Cemetery.

Jim Keith (better known as "Uncle Jim"), who has been sick for some time, passed away Friday a.m. Feb. 13.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev.. Ramis Gass and Bro. J. B. Hylton at Fairview Church at Olathe on Saturday and he was laid to rest in Keith Cemetery.

February 26, 1931:

The case of Roy C. Raney, charged with receiving deposits in the Ryan Bank when he knew it to be in a failing condition was tried in circuit court at Hartville Tuesday.  The jury returned a verdict of "not guilty" Tuesday night.

The hearing before the Governor of Kansas in the matter of the extradition of John Wheeler wanted here on the charge of being implicated in the murder of Henry Killian was set for Monday, March 2, and Sheriff Crewse returned home Friday.  The officers will leave here Sunday with witnesses to be present at the hearing Monday.

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Williams died last week and was buried in the Curtis Cemetery Friday afternoon.

Bill Dodson, who formerly lived at Omo was found dead in a lonely building in Chicago by the police.

Items excerpted from "The Norwood Index" by Phyllis Rippee. September 29, 2009