Search billions of records on

Norwood Index
Page 5

March 5, 1931:

After Roy C. Raney had been acquitted by a jury, all the other cases against officials of the Ryan Bank for receiving deposits when the bank was in a failing condition were dismissed by the prosecuting attorney.

Albert Bledsoe was tried for the murder of his father-in-law and was sentenced to 5 years in the penitentiary.

Vincent Cottengim, charge with rape, was granted a change of venue to Dallas County.

All the civil cases growing out of the failure of the Ryan Banking company were settled by compromise.

The George Pierce family sure have had their share of misfortunes.  Mr. Pierce, while cleaning out their well Saturday, was hit on the head by a large rock falling in and he was taken to Mountain Grove where an operation was necessary.  He is in a very bad condition.

Harry H. Bell and Miss Queen Chapman surprised their many friends Tuesday, when they were married at the Bell home by Rev. J. W. Patterson at noon.  Miss Chapman spent the winter in the south with her sister, Mrs. F. M. Young, and her son.  She arrived in Mansfield on the 10 o'clock train where she was met by Mr. Bell and taken to their home where the ceremony was immediately performed.---Mansfield Mirror

Sheriff M. J. Crewse, prosecuting attorney Frank Collier, Henry Bradshaw, Mose Gray, F. J. Thompson, Roland Cramer and Fred McMillian were in Topeka, Kansas Monday for the hearing before Gov. Woodring on the extradition of John Wheeler charged with the murder of Henry Killian.  Harry F. Kelley was also taken with them.  After a hearing lasting more than three hours during which time 8 witnesses were produced who testified that Wheeler was in Topeka at the time he is alleged to have committed the murder here, the prisoner was turned over to the Wright County officers for return to Missouri.  He was positively identified by Thompson and Cramer as having been seen in Norwood by them on the day of the crime.  Kelley was placed in jail at Ava and Wheeler at Hartville Tuesday. Charges of first degree murder have been filed against both men and it is said a special term of court will be asked for to try them.  The Norwood men report a hard trip Sunday, driving through sleet, rain and snow most of the day.

March 12, 1931:

Vesta Elizabeth Patterson was born in Chaseburg, Wisconsin, Aug. 17th, 1861.  Here she spent her early life.  In 1878 she was married to James S. Anderson, who preceded her in death two years ago.  To them were born 6 children of whom 3 have passed to the great beyond.  They were Allie Lee, Freddie Wayne and John Edward.  The living are:  Mrs. Lula Osbern of Kansas City, Kansas; Mrs. Birdie Lewis of Wichita, Kansas; and William Anderson of Norwood.  She departed this life Feb. 13, 1931.

William Augustus Christy was born July 17, 1849 in Fleming County, Kentucky.  He died at his home March 4, 1931; age 81 years, 7 months and 17 days.  He lived in Kentucky until after his first marriage.  To this union was born 6 children.  One died in infancy and Arthur died last September 13.  Those living are:  Della Jackson of Springfield; Fanny Witt of Rocky Ford, Colorado; Luther Christy of Bates City, Missouri; and Walter Christy of Warrensburg, Missouri.  He was married 45 years ago, February 18, 1886 to Miss Lovella Dove.  To them were born 3 children, Cozella Greenwood and Lolella Christy of Macomb, Missouri and John Melvin who died in Oklahoma.  William Augustus Christy was united with the Christian Church at the age of 28 years.  He was Superintendent of Sunday school many years and an elder of the church.  He leaves to mourn their loss, his wife, 6 children, 28 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Lula E. Roy of Medford, Oregon.  Funeral services were held Thursday, March 5, 1931 at 2 p.m. at the home, Rev. Yocum, Christian pastor, officiating.  Burial in Mansfield Cemetery.

Mr. Iris Kelley and Miss Opal Hiser slipped away to Kansas City Saturday and were united in marriage in that city, returning home Monday.  A charivari was planned for them Tuesday night, but they succeeded in eluding their friends.  The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kelley, which the bride is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wes Hiser, south of Norwood.

The preliminary hearing for John Wheeler, charged with the murder of Henry Killian, will be held Thursday of this week.  Wheeler is in jail at Hartville.

Mr. Charley Reece and Mrs. Roberta Vining were united in marriage at the home of Bro. J. W. Mason at Mountain Grove Thursday, March 5th, 1931.  The bride is the handsome and accomplished daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. R. Vining and possesses all those noble traits that fit a woman for a good wife.  The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Reece and is a highly respected young man.  They expect to leave soon for Wyoming where they will make their home.  A group of boys met at the Vining home Saturday evening, regardless of the blizzard and treated them with an old fashion charivari after which refreshments were served.

March, 19, 1931:

On Tuesday of last week government officers arrested Ernest Ehman, operator of the Jarrett filling station east of town, on the charge of selling liquor.  It is said that the officers bought a pint of whiskey from him and bargained for two more pints.  Three and one-half gallons of whiskey was found when they raided the place.  Other arrested the same day were Floyd Pendegraft and William Nicholson of Mountain Grove, both charged with the sale and possession of liquor, and Amo Miller of Mansfield, charged with selling liquor. The men were taken to Springfield where their bonds were fixed at $15,000 each, in default of which they were placed in jail to await the action of the April federal court.

Appointment of R. L. Calhoun of Norwood, Mo., as a solicitor for the Union Stockyards was announced Tuesday night following a meeting of the Livestock Exchange at the exchange building.  Mr. Calhoun will cover parts of four middle western states for the Union Yards but during the first few weeks will be assigned to Texas, Douglas, Wright, Howell, Ozark and other Southern Missouri counties.  Born and reared in Norwood, Mr. Calhoun has had a great deal of experience as a livestock trader and handler, having engaged in the business practically all of his life.  He has been district manager for the United Farm Agency of Kansas City since 1924 and recently tendered his resignation to that organization in order to accept the position with the Union Stockyards.  Mr. Calhoun also has been engaged in the banking and insurance business at Norwood for 7 years.  His father, Dr. W. S. Calhoun, is one of Norwood's best known natives.  Mr. Calhoun in married and has one son, Frank, 20 years old, who is connected with Division No. 9 of the State Highway Department.---The Union Stockyards Reporter

John Wheeler, charged with the murder of Henry Killian, waived preliminary hearing and was bound over to the June term of circuit court.  Harry Kelley, who is being held in the jail at Ava, will be given a preliminary hearing at Hartville next Monday.

Quite a number from around here attended the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lyons Sunday March 15.

March 26, 1931:

Local radio fans had the privilege of listening in Sunday night at 9:15 to an instructive and novel program.  It was a courtroom scene in which Benedict Arnold was put on trial for treason.  Hon. James Beck, former U. S. Counsel General, was prosecutor and Clarence Darrow, noted criminal lawyer, appeared for the defence.  The trial will be concluded next Sunday evening, March 29, at the same hour with Mr. Darrow presenting his arguments to the jury.  This is the first of a series of trials that will be presented by the National Dairy Products Corporation over the National Broadcasting Network.

Mrs. Emily Brotmarkle of Macomb died at 5:15 Sunday evening at the age of 80 years, 7 months and 14 days.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. H. J. Fenwick, Methodist minister from Mountain Grove, Tuesday afternoon at the Macomb Baptist church and interment was in the Macomb Cemetery.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge of arrangements.

Harry Kelley was given a preliminary hearing at Hartville Monday and was bound over to the June term of circuit court on the charge of murder in the Killian case.

Someone visited the home of R. E. Williams one night last week and stole 7 Rhode Island Red hens and took 3 gallons of gasoline from the family car.

Mr. and Mrs. Iris Kelley were given a charivari last Thursday night.  Lowell Long and Marie Wimberley took Iris out to a cyphering match at Walker School where Mrs. Kelley is teacher and after the cyphering was over Lowell proposed that they go out to Kelley's and spend the rest of the evening.  When they arrived, the crowd had already gathered.  All reported a good time.

Harry Vining's mother died at her home in Nebraska last week.  Mr. and Mrs. Vining started out there after her death, but were delayed.

(Another column)  H. R. Vining received the sad news Friday of the death of his mother, Mrs. Arthur Vining, at Mahaska, Kansas.

April 2, 1931:

The Ozark Mountain News published at Hartville the past nine months by Henry Thrasher, will move to Summersville and the editor announces that he expects to get out his first issue in that Texas County town April 17th.

A marriage license was issued at Ava last week to H. C. McCandless of Norwood and Minnie Longbridge of Cabool.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Dennis report the birth of a son this morning (Monday).

Mrs. Ruth Nobles of Orla, Mo. was buried at McBride Church last Sunday, March 15.  Brother Goodnight preached the funeral.  Sister Nobles took sick Thursday evening and died Friday morning at the age of 62 years.

Mrs. Isaac Jones passed away Sunday morning about 9 o'clock.  She had suffered some time with a cancer and tumor.  Brother John Moore and a Holiness Preacher from Lebanon conducted the funeral services.  She was buried in the home cemetery.

After a short illness Allen Kelley, 77 years of age, passed away Monday, March 23, and was laid to rest in the Fair View Cemetery Tuesday afternoon.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Archie Halford.

Mrs. J. H. Holman has announcement of the marriage of her grandson, Herman Smittle of Sacramento, California, last week.

April 9, 1931:

Adam Hartman, on route one, has a ewe that gave birth to four lambs which are now over two weeks old and are doing fine.

Uncle Johnny Bryant, for 30 years a citizen of Norwood and vicinity, passed away Friday evening at 7:30 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. B. Hensley, of Springfield.  Mr. T. B. Bouldin of the Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors was called at once and went to Springfield with his hearse, bringing the body back to Norwood that night.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. Chadwell at the Christian Church in Norwood Sunday afternoon at 1:30.  Afterwards his body was laid to rest in the Norwood Cemetery.  John W. Bryant was born in Date County, Georgia, March 19, 1858.  He departed this life at the home of his daughter in Springfield Friday, April 3, at the age of 73 years and 14 days.  He was converted and united with the Christian Church when a young man.  He moved to Missouri at the age of 20.  He was married to Selina Armentia Willoughby in 1878.  To this union 5 daughters were born:  Molly E. Garner, Etta Ray, Minnie Grace Hensley, Phoebe E. Hensley and Anna Hunsaker.  All are living but Minnie.  His wife passed away two years and one month ago.  He also leaves 12 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.

An infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Edd Kelley died Tuesday and Mrs. Kelley is reported in a serious condition.

Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Jackson are the proud parents of a 9 pound boy born Wednesday of last week.

Miss Zelma Wimberley of Norwood and Mr. Gene Ochiltree of Kansas City, were united in marriage in Kansas City Saturday and will make their home in that city.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Uncle Josiah Smith of Owenville.

Jim Finch has declared war on chicken hawks, having killed two last week.

April 16, 1931:

The community was shocked to learn of the death of Mrs. E. L. Finch who died Saturday on the operating table in the hospital at Mountain Grove where she was undergoing an operation for gall stones from which she had been a sufferer for some time.  The body was taken to Springfield Sunday afternoon in the Bouldin-Ryan hearse, funeral services being held in that city at the Alma Lohmeyer funeral home at 11 o'clock Monday morning with interment in a Springfield cemetery.

Mary Ellen Williams was born April 15, 1847 in Lincoln County, Missouri.  She departed this life April 11, at her home in Norwood, at the age of 83 years, 11 months and 26 days.  She was married to Douglas McNealey February 1, 1873.  To this union were born 6 children.  Ed, the oldest, who departed this life at the age of 40; Ezril McNealey of Hartville; Myrty Hutchison of Cold Springs; Omer and Everett, the twin brothers---Homer of Springfield and Everett of Seymour; and Minnie Gheer of Cold Springs.  She was converted at the age of 18 and was a member of the Methodist Church.  She was an invalid for many years.  She also leaves 17 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.  Funeral service was held by Rev. G. Chadwell at the home April 13 and afterwards she was laid to rest in the Hartville Cemetery.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge of arrangements.

Mr. and Mrs. Willie Rowland are receiving congratulations over the arrival of a baby girl in their home Friday, April 10th.

J. E. Dodson and Telitha Andrews, of Norwood R.F.D., were granted a marriage license at Ava last week.

Charges against Mrs. Sally Adams and F. L. Turner, president and vice president of the defunct bank of Ava, will be tried in STone County circuit court on a change of venue for Douglas County, as the result of a decision by Judge Robert L. Gideon of Forsyth, presiding over the court at Ava Monday.

Reinhold Gustafson, 69 years old, died early Saturday morning at the home of his only daughter, Mrs. Florence Williams, two miles southwest of Owensville, after a lingering illness.  The Bouldin-Ryan undertakers were called and prepared the body for burial after which it was brought to Norwood to be taken to Mr. Pleasant, Iowa, on the Sunnyland Sunday, for interment.  Mrs. Williams accompanied the body to Iowa.  Mr. Gustafson was a native of Sweden.  He was a retired locomotive engineer.

Mr. and Mrs. Harvey McArthur are the proud parents of a baby boy born Saturday morning.

Funeral services were held in Mansfield last Wednesday for Charles Hilsabeck.

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Robertson attended the funeral of John Liggett at Macomb Tuesday.

Hazel Williams and Smith Frye were married Easter Sunday and they have moved to Springfield where they will make their home.

Jim Dodson and Mrs. Telitha Andrews were united in marriage last Tuesday morning at Bro. Morrow's.

Mr. and Mrs. John Woods are the proud parents of a 11 1/2 lb. baby girl born the 7th.

Dr. William Hamilton, well known Wright County physician, died at his home in Mansfield Saturday, April 4th.  He had been in poor health for some time but was able to be up about the home and was at his office only a few days before his death.  He suffered a light stroke of paralysis Friday and rapidly grew worse, death coming early Saturday morning.  Funeral services were conducted at the Dennis Church Sunday by Rev. J. E. Seal and interment was in the Hensley Cemetery.

The Macomb community was shocked Monday morning to learn of the sudden death of John Liggett.  He was recovering from a bad case of the flu and had been unable to work for some time but was feeling much better and accompanied R. G. Quissenberry to the woods to help him saw timber.  He and Mr. Quissenberry were sawing down a tree when he fell back from the saw and was dead before Mr. Quissenberry could summon aid.  Coroner F. A. Steffe of Mansfield was notified and upon viewing the body decided he died from a stroke of apoplexy and that no further inquest was necessary.  Mr. Liggett was a highly respected citizen of the Macomb community having lived there for a number of years.  Mr. Liggett was unmarried, he making his home with a brother, Luther Liggett.  Funeral services were held at Macomb Tuesday evening and burial was made in Macomb Cemetery.---Mansfield Mirror

John M. Liggett was born at Polk Station, Tenn., Aug. 5, 1866.  Departed this life April 6, 1931 at the age of 65 years and 8 months.  He leaves to mourn their loss two brothers Frank of Wichita, Kansas and Luther of Macomb.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mose Willis.

William Silas Hefner was born in Polk County, Tenn.. Dec/ 28. 1956; departed this life at his home in Wright County, Mo., April 7, 1931 at the age of 74 years, 3 months and 9 days.  He was married to Harriett Evaline Rogers Jan. 30, 1876 and to this union were born 9 children, two of whom preceded him in death in infancy.  He is survived by his wife, 4 sons and 3 daughters:  M. C., A. A. and J.E. all of Hartville, Mo.; M. F. of Dodge City, Kansas; Mrs. W. C. Ylububa of Coffeyville, Kansas; Mrs. J. F. Ellis of Liberty, Kansas; and Mrs. W. C. Butler of Carrolton, Mo.  He also leaves 31 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.  He was converted and united with the Little Creek Baptist Church in 1887.  Funeral services were held by Rev. G. Chadwell last Thursday at Little Creek Church where he was a member for 44 years.

Last Tuesday night a Packard 8 sedan driven by G. F. Hintschel, of Springfield, turned over at the sharp curve about 3 miles west of Norwood.  Accompanying Mr. Hintschel were his wife and daughter, Mrs. Hintschel having one arm broken and the daughter's arm being badly wrenched in the accident.  Mr. Hintschel escaped injury.  The injured ones were brought in to Dr. VanNoy's office here where they received the necessary surgical aid before being taken on home.  The wrecked car was also towed back to Norwood by  Sherman Hammack for repairs.  The family was returning home from Indianapolis, Ind. at the time of the accident.

Jim Long suffered a stroke of paralysis last week and has been quite sick.

Willie Allen has bought the Jess Shropshire farm.  It adjoins the one he now owns.

April 23, 1931:

Seen on the Street:  A man sitting on the curb while his wife patched the automobile tire.  Now there's a wife for you.  Why can't all women be like that?---From the Editor's Column

This issue of the Index is No. 1 of Volume 5, which means that this newspaper is 4 years old.

Cal Wheat of near Buckhart, was arrested early today by local officers when he appeared at the scene of a still, located 2 miles east of Buckhart.  The officers located the still Wednesday night and lay in wait for the arrival of the owner.  Wheat appeared on the scene at about 8 o'clock this a.m., and proceeded with his work unmolested for something like half an hour, when the officers decided to close in on him.  Wheat had fired the furnace and had started operation of the still, according to officers.  The outfit consisted of a 50-gallon boiler, and other necessary equipment, copper throughout.  Eight barrels of mash were destroyed.  Wheat was brought to Ava and placed in the county jail.  Officers making the raid were deputy sheriffs J. L. Ridenour, W. F. Hunt, Charles Holman and Mack Morris.---Ava Herald

Mrs. Emma Henson was born Aug. 9, 1892.  Departed this life April 17, 1931 at the age of 38 years, 8 months and 8 days.  She united with the Christian Church at a tender age.  She was taken from the orphans' home by Mr. and Mrs. E. G. Morrow at the age of 9 years.  She was married to J. H. Henson July 15, 1912 and to this union were born 5 children, 3 boys and 2 girls.  Edgar, the oldest boy, preceded her to the better world 3 years ago in a wood saw accident.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Ora Keller, assisted by Rev. V. H. Kosling and the remains were laid to rest in the Denlow Cemetery.

J. A. Randall has received word from J. E. Cahill, regional director for closed bank liquidations in the Ozarks region, that the second dividend checks for depositors of the Ryan Banking Company of Norwood will be ready for delivery Saturday without fail.  You can get your by calling at the Randall hardware store.  The dividend will be for 10 per cent.

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Shirley was buried in the home cemetery Sunday.  The mother is doing fine.  Bro. Koch made a short talk and the choir sang.

Mr. Lester Sisco and Miss Sadie Elliott were united in marriage last week.  They expect to make their home near Cold Springs.

April 30, 1931:

Some Norwood History:  In the year of 1881 the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad was built through Wright County, Missouri, at which time the town of Norwood was laid out by officials of the Railroad Company, and at once began to grow and became a prosperous little town.  In the year 1882, the School District of Norwood was organized and a school house built near the line between range number 13 and 14 in the east part of Norwood on the South side of the railroad tract and that building was used for school and other purposes until the town and School District out-grew the school building.  In about the year of 1890, the Caudle Addition to the town of Norwood was laid out and forms the Southern part of the town of Norwood.  In about the year of 1895, an addition known as Burnhams' Addition to the town of Norwood was laid out on the north side of the railroad tract; at which time an acre of said ground in said addition was secured and set apart for the purpose of erecting a larger school building to take care of the increasing number of patrons and children and bonds were voted and a new school begun, and when said house was almost completed it was destroyed by fire, the origin of which was supposed to be incendiary.  The citizens of Norwood and patrons of Norwood School District, being determined to have a new school building, voted more bonds and a new school house was completed.  In about the year of 1905 the J. R. Hitchcock addition to the town of Norwood was laid out and forms a part of the northeast part of the town.  Norwood and the school district having grown to such proportions that an ordinary school district was inadequate to meet the school requirements, an election was held and the district voted into a Village School District.  Soon after this the Freeman addition to Norwood was laid out and forms a part of the northeast part of the town.  At the close of school in the year 1918 the school board and patrons, seeing that the old building, which was made of wood, had lived out its usefulness, it being old and not worthy of repair and also condemned by the state school department, it was decided that a better and larger building should be erected to accommodate the growing community.  On September 4, 1919 a special meeting was called by H. J. Schofield, president of the board of directors, at which time a petition of a majority of the qualified voters of the district was presented and an election for the purpose of voting bonds was ordered to be held on Oct. 7, 1919, at which time a majority voted favorably to bonding the district for 5 per cent of the assessed valuation of the district.  On the 19th day of April, 1920, $7,400 in bonds were issued and officially signed by H. J. Schofield, president, and F. M. Huffman, secretary of school board, said bonds to run a period of 20 years and bearing 6 per cent interest from May 1, 1920.  The district to pay any part of the bonds after 5 years at the option of the makers.  On or about June 20 the above bonds were sold at 5% discount, it being the best bid secured.  Immediately after the sale of the bonds the board began buying materials and making all arrangements to erect a new hollow block, concrete stuccoed school building on a new 6 acre tract of land secured from L. A. Huffman for the purpose.  On this, the 10th day of September, 1920, we are laying the cornerstone of the building upon a new solid concrete foundation which forms a part of the building by making a basement of 4 rooms and hall which are to be used for any purpose needed in conducting the school.  This corner store is laid by officers of the Grand Lodge of the State of Missouri, A. F. and A. M., and the ceremonies conducted by Rev. C. H. Briggs, Past Grand Master.  The school board at this time are:  H. J. Schofield, President; F. M. Huffman, Secretary; W. V. Carter, Treasurer; G. H. Robertson, A. R. Worsham and R. L. Calhoun.  Dated this 10th day of September, 1920.
    The above is a copy of the historical sketch which ws placed in the corner stone of the present school building in Norwood.

The following are the names of the Norwood Graduating Class of 1931:  Clifford Peck, Floyd H. Sanders, Murf Chandler, William Hartman, Eldo Joy, Avis Pope, Ruby Moody, Bessie Johnston, Edna Johnston, Audrey Shores, Ruth Raney, Dorothy Wood, Wilma Helums.

Eighth grade graduates from the town school are:  Cleo Thompson, Roy Miller, Ova Raney, Kenneth Felker, Cecil Kelley.

A branch of the Prudential Savings and Loan Association of Kansas City, was opened in the Ryan Bank building in Norwood Saturday with Mr. Howard Barnard in charge.  Mr. Barnard informs us that this institution is here to stay and that they are fully prepared to serve the community in a financial way.  He expects to move his family here from Baxter, Kansas, where they are now staying with Mrs. Barnard's folks.

Prof. A. H. Bailey, teacher-training instructor in the Mountain Grove high school, died suddenly between 8 and 9 o'clock last Tuesday evening from a heart attack.  Mr. Bailey taught all his classes as usual during the day and did not complain of feeling ill until after supper.  He drank a glass of soda water but didn't get relief and asked that a doctor be summoned, but before the physician arrived Mr. Bailey was dead.  The funeral was held at the Christian Church in Mountain Grove, where he and been a faithful member and deacon for many years, Sunday afternoon and interment was in the Fairview Cemetery 5 miles northwest of Mountain Grove, beside the graves of his father, mother and only son.  Services were conducted by his pastor, Rev. J. L. Shoemaker.  Mr. Bailey was born at Hillsboro, Ill. June 6, 1863.  He had been associated with the Mountain Grove schools for the past 12 years and for nearly half a century had been engaged in school work.  He had made his home with his brother and sister-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. F. I. Bailey, for many years.

John R. Gilley, aged 84 years, died April 18 and was buried in Lone Star Cemetery, south of Mountain Grove.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T. M. Estes, pastor of the Mountain Grove Baptist Church.  He is survived by 3 sons and 4 daughters.

May 7, 1931:

Mrs. Lon Etheridge died at her home in the south part of Norwood at 8:00 o'clock Tuesday morning after a lingering illness with tuberculosis of the lungs.  She had been unable to do her house work for two years and had been confined to her bed since Christmas.  Funeral serves were conducted by Rev. Mose Willis at the Pentecostal Church at 2:00 o'clock Wednesday afternoon and burial was in the Relaford Cemetery.  Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge of arrangements.  Ala Alice Ryan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Ryan, was born near Mattoon, Ill., Sept 8, 1877.  Departed this life May 5, 1931 at the age of 53 years, 7 months and 27 days.  She came to Missouri with her parents at the age of 8 years.  She was united in marriage to Lon Etheridge May 2, 1908.  Three children survive this union, as follows:  Mrs. Bervie Davis and Miss Florence and Ward Etheridge.  She is also survived by one son, Fay Campbell, by a former marriage.  Two children, Charlie and Marie preceded her in death.  In addition to her own children she leaves the following stepchildren:  Mrs. Nettie Bradshaw, Mrs. Laura Buckner, Jesse E. and John E. Etheridge and Thula Bradshaw.  Mrs. Etheridge became a Christian in early life and at the time of her death was a member of the Pentecostal Church in Norwood.

Mrs. Joe Woods of Hartville was called here Tuesday by the death of Mrs. Etheridge.  She is a sister of Mr. Etheridge.

The little son of Mr. and Mrs. Rich passed away April 15th.  Funeral at Ashley Church.

May 21, 1931:

Last Friday night Henry Bradshaw captured a stolen Chevrolet coach in the Wymer lane east of Norwood.  Then, after patrolling the highway into Mountain Grove and west of Norwood, including several acres of woods, and searching two box cars on the wye, he, with three other deputies, captured three boys who gave their names as Billy Mason, age 14; Raymond E. Wilson, 15; and William Thomas Pitts, 15, all of Kansas City.  Bradshaw took the boys to Hartville that night and turned them over to Sheriff Crewse.  The car was stolen at Paola, Kansas, Wednesday night and officers arrived in Hartville Sunday from Paola and took the boys back to Kansas for trial.  Constable Bradshaw and his assistants are to be commended for their work in this case.

Since opening the Norwood branch a few weeks ago in the Ryan bank building this company has enjoyed a nice business with a steady increase in the number of patrons served.  They have the support of the best people and are proving of much worth to the community as a whole, being in a position to take care of all financial requirements.  Mr. Raymond Gas has been installed as branch manager here and will move his family, consisting of wife and two children, here this week.  They will occupy the Nall property recently vacated by Mr. and Mrs. Byron Tucker.  Mr. Gas is a native of this section, having been born and reared south of Macomb and having attended the Norwood high school.  We gladly welcome this good family to our town and Mr. Gas to our business circles.

To the Editor:  Your history of the Norwood schools as published a week or so ago was not exactly correct, or rather, it was not all there.  The first people living in Norwood sent their children to the Fairview school as Norwood was in that district.  Then the first term of school taught in Norwood was by S. E. Pope in a rented building standing near where the Mill pond now is.  Then, Rachel G. Hart, mother of J. E. Hart, deeded a piece of ground where Mrs. F. M. Smallwood now lives to the Christian Church with the stipulation that a building be erected and used one Sunday each month by the Christian Church and the other Sundays by being used by the other denominations, and for school purposes when not being used for religious purposes.  A two story building was erected on this lot by donation and oyster suppers.  J. E. Hart, Amos Caudle and N. E. Caudle went to Hawes' Mill on North Fork for the first three loads of lumber and the people of the community donated the labor.  The lower room was used for religious and educational purposes and the upper for Justice's court and similar gatherings.  S. E. Pope taught the first school here and a Miss May Cheney from Seymour the second.  Then a Mr. Scarborough, who, for several years was a train caller for the Frisco at Springfield, was teaching there when the building burned and the citizens of the district voted bonds for $300 and a new building was erected just across the township line where John Cramer formerly lived and J. E. Hart taught the first two terms in that building.  Then, when the town had outgrown that building the one spoken of in your article in Burhams addition was built and your article is substantially correct up until the time the $7,400 in bonds were voted when your article leaves the impression the present building ws erected for that sum when in reality the patrons of the district signed a note to the Ryan Banking Co., and borrowed and additional $2500 and then only the downstairs rooms were completed.  All the upper part of the building and basement being incomplete.  Then later, when the school board was composed of J. M. Ellis, president; J. A. Randall, secretary; A. D. Roper, T. H. Wimberley, D. J. Swing and Fred E. Hart, an additional $3500 in bonds were voted, there being no votes against the bonds and the $2500 note was paid off and the auditorium, now the study hall, was completed as it had had no inside work done on it.  Later as the money accumulated, the other rooms upstairs were finished and a part of the basement and the building put up to the condition it is now in, the gym built, new equipment added, the school raised from a two year high school to a full credited, 4 years, first class high school has been accomplished without issuing any new bonds and in addition, $4000 of the $10,900 in bonds have been paid leaving only $6,900 of the original bonds unpaid.---An Old Timer
    The Index is glad to publish the above additional history of the Norwood schools.  The history published a few weeks ago started with the coming of the railroad and ended with the laying of the cornerstone of the present building, being a copy of the historical sketch placed in said cornerstone.  Naturally, it could come down no further, so we are glad to have "Old Timer" bring the history down to day and also to take it back to the days preceding the building of the railroad.

Lon Etheridge received a check Monday in payment of insurance which he carried on Mrs. Etheridge who died May 5.

Ray Scarborough who is in the hospital in St. Louis is reported as doing as well as could be expected.  Bone was taken from his lower leg bone and grafted into his spine.  He has suffered much pain.

Mr. and Mrs. I. P. Belcher left Monday evening for Belton, Mo., to attend the funeral of Mr. Belcher's sister, Mrs. Amy Ecton, who died rather suddenly Saturday night.  The funeral was held at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon.

Mrs. Pearl Claxton was notified to be at the O'Dell Cemetery Saturday to put up her husband's monument.

Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Davidson are the proud parents of a 10 pound daughter born May 12th.

Very sorry to learn of the death of Jack Wells.  he passed away Sunday at the home of Bill Parmenter where he had made his home for some time.  He leaves two sons.

Mr. and Mrs. Hutsell of Rayborn spent Sunday with his sister, Mrs. Claude Kelley, and family.

May 28, 1931:

A fracture of the skull was suffered by Howard Reary of Mansfield, 23, a state highway department engineer, when he was struck in the head about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon by a small rock hurled 400 feet by a dynamite blast.  The accident occurred on highway 60, three miles east of Mansfield, where preparations are being made to surface the road with gravel.  Although the man's condition was not considered dangerous last night at the Springfield Baptist hospital where he was operated upon by Dr. C. W. Russell, it will not definitely be known how serious his injury is until tomorrow.  At least 30 person were nearer to the scene of the blast than was Reary, but the hurtling stone passed over their heads.  He was taken to Norwood for emergency treatment by Doctor VanNoy and then brought to the hospital here, accompanied by Ben Wescott, superintendent on the highway project for the Martin Wunderlich company of St. Paul, Minn.---Springfield Daily News

Dr. VanNoy reports the birth of 4 boys within 12 hours of one another Saturday.  Twin boys were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fay Forrest and a boy each to Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Hylton and Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Rader.

Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Hylton are receiving congratulations over the arrival of a 10 pound boy in their home Saturday, May 23, at 2:00 p.m.

During the rain and thunderstorm Monday morning the house of Mr. and Mrs. Huse Bolt, 2 1/2 miles south of Macomb, was struck by lightning which came down both flues, knocking the stove pipes down and doing some other damage.  The house was set afire but the blaze was soon extinguished.  Member of the family escaped serious injury.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Rader, May 23rd, an 11 pound boy.

May 28, 1931:

Martha M. Allen was born Nov. 23, 1878 and departed this life May 28, 1931 at the age of 52 years, 6 months and 5 days.  She was married to Henry J. Owens December 24, 1896 and to this union were born 8 children, 3 of whom preceded her to the Glory Land in infancy.  She professed faith in Christ at an early age, uniting with the Free Will Baptist church at Oak Grove.  She leaves to mourn her passing a husband, 2 daughters: Mrs. Earl Barnett and Mrs. Alston Sheppard; 3 sons: Alvan, Elmer and Tip Owens, all of this vicinity; 6 grandchildren, 5 sisters, 3 brothers.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Selph Jones at Oak Grove church and interment was in Oak Grove Cemetery.

Mrs. Clara Mears of Coldspring placed a tombstone on the grave of her husband, Harve Mears.

June 11, 1931:

Harry F. Kelley, charged with first degree murder in connection with the death of Henry Killian, 62 year old farmer recluse of Norwood, was granted a change of venue at Hartville late Monday afternoon when his case came up to trial in Wright County.  He will be tried in Bolivar.  John Wheeler of Topeka, charged with first degree murder in the same case, was granted continuance and will be tried July 2, at Hartville.  Wheeler was arrested in Topeka after Kelley confessed that he was an accomplice and named Wheeler at the slayer.  Later first degree murder charges were filed against Kelley.  They will be held in jail pending trial.

June 18, 1931:

Herbert Ray Calhoun, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Calhoun, was born December 19, 1929.  He departed this life June 7, 1931 at the age of 1 year, 6 months and 19 days.  He leaves to mourn their loss a father, mother, grandmother, 2 grandfathers.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mose Willis and he was laid to rest in Curtis Cemetery.

Dr. VanNoy's new Chevrolet car turned over Saturday night on the Vanzant road south of Mountain Grove and was badly damaged, it being necessary to acquire two new wheels.  The rear axle was also damaged and one fender badly bent.  Burva Davis was driving at the time of the accident, but neither he nor the doctor were seriously injured.

The Bouldin-Ryan funeral home in Norwood is being remodelled and when finished will provide ample accommodations to the public as well as adding greatly to the appearance of that portion of our business section of town.

I have lately heard that a rumor is going around through the country by someone that I, C. H. Cole, signed a petition for a change of venue for the Henry Killian murder case.  I am very sorry that some have such poor opinion of me and say here that it is absolutely a falsehood, through and through.  Will also state that I have done all in my power, and spent much time and worry to try to help bring this awful crime to light, and shame on anyone that would dare to think that I would try in the least to shield anyone from such an awful deed.  We all surely realize that in such cases as this, there is always talk and everything, but I want my friends to know that this is utterly a falsehood, as I had no knowledge of how the change of venue was made and had nothing whatever to do with it.---C. H. Cole.

Little Mary Francis Williams, 3 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Max Williams, was run over by an automobile and killed in front of her home in Mountain Grove Sunday afternoon.  Death was not instantaneous but the child died a few minutes after being rushed to the Springfield Baptist Hospital.  She was crossing the street when hit by a car driven by Hobart James, 18 year old son of Dr. and Mrs. J. H. James.  The accident was apparently unavoidable on the part of the driver.  The child is survived by her parents, 3 sisters and a grandmother, Mrs. L. H. Williams.

Jarrett B. Huffman of Melvin, Texas, died very suddenly last Friday evening at the home of his son, Luther, near Norwood.  Mr. Huffman had been in poor health for some time and Luther had brought his father to his home here two weeks before death came, hoping that the change might be of benefit to his health.  Funeral services were conducted at the Norwood Christian Church at 2:00 o'clock Tuesday afternoon by Rev. J. L. Shoemaker, pastor of the Mountain Grove Christian Church and interment was in the Thomas Cemetery.  Members of the family here for the funeral were the wife and son, J. B., of Melvin, Texas; Melvin Huffman, another son, of Houston, Texas; and Mrs. and Mrs. George Grant of Shawnee, Okla.  Mrs. Grant being a daughter.  The following brief sketch of the life of deceased has been furnished us for publication:  Jarrett Banks Huffman was born at Ava, Mo., in 1867.  Died June 12, 1931 at the age of 64 years.  He was united in marriage to Amanda Ince and to this union were born two children, Luther and Lela, the latter being now Mrs. George Grant.  Mrs. Huffman died in 1889 and in 1890 Mr. Huffman was again united in marriage to Rilla Woods.  To this union were born 3 children: Melvin, Mrs. Jewell Paggart and J. B. Huffman.  In addition to the children the deceased is also survived by one brother, F. M. Huffman, and one sister, Mrs. Margaret Bruton, both of Norwood.  Early in life he united with the Christian Church at Rio Vista, Texas.  Funeral arrangements were in charge of the Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors.

L. S. Hinote of route 3 has our thanks for 3 young roosters of the frying size which he brought in last week.  If his example would be followed by others, it would not make us mad.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Ike Frye near Mansfield, a 10 pound baby girl Tuesday, June 9.  Mrs. Frye's mother, Mrs. W. E. Brook, is staying with her.  Dr. VanNoy was attending physician.

June 25, 1931:

Mrs. M. E. Gorman, wife of Postmaster Gorman of Mansfield, was found dead in a cistern at the family home in Mansfield about 9:30 Saturday night.  Her shoes were found beside the cistern and she had apparently been dead about an hour.  Funeral services were held and the body was taken to Springfield for burial Tuesday.  Mrs. Gorman was a member of the Methodist Church and of the Eastern Star.  She was 50 years old and had reside in Mansfield all her life.  She is survived by her husband.

Ruby Pauline, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Barnett, was born March 19, 1931, at the age of 2 months and 27 days.  She leaves to mourn their loss a mother, father, 5 sisters and 4 brothers.  Funeral services were conducted by Bro. Ben Nall and she was laid to rest in the Thomas Cemetery.

Jesse Leo Hurt was born in Wright County, Mo., May 3, 1888.  Departed this life June 21, 1931 at the age of 43 years, 1 month and 18 days.  He was united in marriage to Nannie Sanders of Norwood Dec. 13, 1922.  He was converted several years ago and joined the Norwood Baptist Church.  He leaves to mourn his departure the wife, an aged father, 3 sisters and 3 brothers: Mrs. Bell Duggar, Jim Hurt and Mrs. Myrtle Hutson of Hartville, Miss Edith and Cleve Hurt of Mountain Grove, and Clarence Hurt of Norwood.  By his own request, funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. Chadwell at the church at Curtis Cemetery and his body was laid to rest in the cemetery there.

An airplane was forced to land in L. J. Impler's field west of town Saturday.  In making the landing, fences and telephone wife suffered considerable damage.  The plane carried the pilot and a companion.

July 2, 1931:

Cecil Lafferty, 17 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Lafferty, of the Pleasant Hill neighborhood 6 miles southeast of Norwood, died last Wednesday at the Missouri State Reformatory at Boonville as a result of beatings administered by attendants at the institution.  Two guards, W. A. Heving and Carrol R. Leach, who confessed to doing the beating with a heavy leather strap, were suspended pending an investigation and are now under bond on the charge of manslaughter.  Dr. T. C. Beckett, coroner, said marks on the boy's body indicated "a severe beating."  He found marks of violence on the back, legs and knees.  In a telephone conversation at 11 o'clock Wednesday night, the Index editor was informed by a representative of the Kansas City Star that the body of young Lafferty had been found concealed in an ice box and that it appeared to have been a very brutal murder.  However, later dispatches carried by the daily papers made no mention of that feature of the case.  It is alleged that the boy was working in the field in the hot sun and that he was refused the privilege of going for water and then beaten because he could no longer work.  The day that Cecil was killed, his mother received a letter from him stating that he expected to be at home in about three weeks.  The body was brought back to Norwood for burial, arriving Saturday morning, accompanied by W. E. Satterfield, reformatory chaplain.

Cecil Wayne Lafferty was born near Hunter, Oklahoma, in Garfield County, May 31, 1914 and departed this life June 24, 1931 at the age of 17 years and 24 days.  At the age of 6 years Cecil moved with the family to Woodward County near Richmond, Okla., where he attended school, finishing the grades at the age of 12 years.  He attended high school at Richmond for a part of a year.  He moved with his parents to Missouri at the age of 14 years.  Cecil had always been faithful in attending Sunday School and church.  He leaves to mourn their loss a dear mother, a loving father, 3 sisters: Ruth, at home; Mrs. C. L. West, of Shawnee, Okla.; and Mrs. Earl Kline of Norwood, Mo.; 2 brothers Eugene and George Martin, at home; 3 nieces Evelyn, Juanita and Alice Ann West; a grandmother, Mrs. Kidd of Mutual, Okla; 6 uncles:  C. G. Kidd of Chicago, Ill.; J. W. Kidd of Redrock, Okla.; G. E. and G. B Kidd of Oklahoma City; C. W. Kidd of Mutual; and L. A Lafferty of Garber, Okla; 2 aunts, Mrs. Clara Wright of Gazette, and Mrs. Nora McCabe of Vandalia, Mo. and a number of cousins.  Funeral services were conducted by George Higby at the Christian Church in Norwood Saturday afternoon, June 27, and interment was in the Thomas Cemetery.

Mr. Ruey Moles, of Raymore in Cass County, and Miss Myrtle Bradshaw of Norwood, were united in marriage Sunday afternoon at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bradshaw, in Norwood.  Rev. C. N. Means, pastor of the Baptist church here, performed the ceremony.  Mr. Moles, accompanied by his brother Paris and wife, drove down from Raymore Saturday night, arriving here Sunday morning.  Immediately after the ceremony the two couples left for the return trip to their Cass County home where the newly weds will reside.  The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Andy Moles and grew to manhood in the Shiloh neighborhood south of Macomb.  The bride is the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Bradshaw of Norwood.

Mr. Sherman Hammack and Miss Zelma Worsham hied themselves off to Springfield Tuesday and were united in the holy bonds of matrimony in that city.  Mr. Hammack is a nephew of Dr. and Mrs. L. T. VanNoy of Norwood with whom he has made his home for many years, while the bride is the charming daughter of Mrs. Carrie Worsham.  She has been the obliging operator at the local telephone exchange for more than 2 years.  Both are graduates of the Norwood high school.

The well at the school house was completed last week to a depth of 300 feet and gives promise of furnishing an abundance of water.  The water in the well stands more than 100 feet in depth and tests made in drawing it out show that the supply will be sufficient for all school purposes.

The little daughter of Frank and Ama Lucas will answer to the name of Lenoa June.

July 9, 1931:

The jury which heard the Vincent Cottengim case at Buffalo last week failed to reach an agreement after 30 hours of deliberation.  He will be tried again in October on the charge of criminal assault.  The case was taken to Buffalo on a change of venue from Wright County.

On last Wednesday evening at the Cheney home northwest of Norwood occurred the marriage of Mr. Hugh L. Cheney to Miss Nellie Means, of Mt. Vernon, Rev. E. N. Means performing the ceremony.  After the ceremony ice cream, cake and lemonade were served.  The bride taught the Stony Point school for two terms.  Mr. Cheney is well and favorably known in this section.  The happy couple will reside for the present on the farm with the groom's mother.

Mr. Elmer E. Raney and Miss Grace Richardson were united in marriage Sunday afternoon by Rev. G. Chadwell at the latter's home in Norwood.  Mr. Raney is a prominent business man of Norwood and a member of the school board.  The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Richardson, east of town.

Last Thursday night, friends of Mr. and Mrs. Sherman Hammack treated them to an old fashioned charivari after which the crowd went out to the Cheney home and serenaded Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Cheney.  Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Raney received similar treatment in the wee small house following midnight Sunday night.

There was a large crowd at the interment of Miss Leila Ussery Sunday.  She died at Mountain Grove, but was buried here, as this was her former home.

Rev. G. Chadwell celebrated his 74th birthday anniversary Sunday, dropping 74 pennies into the Sunday school birthday bank in honor of the occasion.

Patsy Lee is the name given to the 12 pound girl born to Mr. and Mrs. Owen Cottengim las Tuesday, June 30th.

Charley Allen brought to the Index office Monday a "stool" of wheat which grew from one grain and which contained 124 stalks or straws.  By counting the grains in one head and multiplying by the number of heads, it was found that this one grain of wheat put into the ground last fall had produced more than 7,000 grains.  This wheat may now be seen on exhibition at J. N. Busby's office in Norwood.

Everyone was very much surprised to hear of the marriage of Miss Lea Garrison to Mr. Haden Holt.

July 16, 1931:

Editor's Column:  The trial of John Wheeler, charged with the murder of Henry Killian, of Norwood, will be held in Webster county, a change of venue having been granted from Wright County.  It is hard for the man on the street to see where any good reason existed for taking this out of Wright County.  The intent of the law is to give justice to innocent and guilty alike, but it often happens that those who do not want justice are able to secure such delays as to render almost impossible the bringing to justice of guilty parties.  It is such delays as this that encourage mob law.  A cold blooded murder was committed and those charged with the crime should have been given a speedy trial.  If innocent they were entitled to a chance to prove their innocence.  If guilty speedy justice should have been meted out to them.

Mr. and Mrs. George Cramer are receiving congratulations over the arrival of a new daughter in their home last Friday morning.

Aunt Hephzibah Dennis, age 88 years, died Wednesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Tom Dean, in Mansfield.  She had been confined to her bed for 11 weeks.

We are late in announcing the marriage of Miss Ora Miller and Will Everhart which took place in Marshfield in June.

Modern Village Smith:  Under a spreading chestnut tree, A stubborn auto stands; The smith, an angry man is he, With trouble on his hands.  The carburetor seems to be The cause of all his woe;  He tightens half a dozen bolts, But still it doesn't go.  He sits beside the road to give His brain a chance to cool, He ponders on his training  In the correspondence school.  And then he starts his job once more, and just by chance 'tis seen, The cause of all his trouble is  He's out of gasoline.

Mrs. J. H. Saladin, of route 2, sends us a clipping from the St. James Journal, telling of the tragic death by drowning of Mrs. Loma Wicks and daughter, Mrs. J. A. Todd, and infant child.  Mrs. Wicks is a cousin of Mrs. Saladin.  The part which also included J. A. Todd and Winifred Wicks who escaped injure, were enroute to Fullerton, Calif. from St. James and while crossing a dry creek bed on July 2, 5 miles from Tucumcari, N.M., were over-whelmed by a torrent of water caused by heavy rains in the mountains.  The bodies of the three victims were brought back to St. James for burial.

Mrs. Sallie Shannon, aged 70, died here at the home of her son W. D. Shannon, Monday afternoon, July 6th.  Mrs. Shannon had been sick for some time and her death was not unexpected.  Mrs. Shannon formerly lived at Vanzant south of Mountain Grove and her remains were taken there for interment Wednesday afternoon.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. J. Estep, pastor of the Seymour Baptist Church.---Seymour Citizen
    Mrs. Shannon was an aunt of Grover C. Shannon of Norwood.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Kline are rejoicing over a new daughter born last Monday.

July 23, 1931:

James Nevels, 50 years old, former Constable of Willow Springs, was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 5 years in prison by a jury in the Oregon County Circuit Court at Alton, for the killing of Lester Bolerjack, 31 year old business man of Cabool, last September.  Bolerjack was fatally wounded when Nevels fired on an automobile in which he and his wife and cousin were returning from the funeral of a relative near Mountain View.  Nevels mistook Bolerjack for Charles Coburn of Cabool, who was thought to be abducting a girl and whom Nevels and two Cabool officers were chasing.  Nevels said the shooting was accidental.  Mrs. Bolerjack, wife of the slain man, testified they thought it was a hold-up.  Nevels was a member of the St. Louis police force during the World's Fair in 1904.  It is expected he will appeal.

Sheriff Crewse and Dr. B. E. Latimer went to Nevada Monday and brought back 3 more inmates of the State Asylum.  This makes 6 inmates who have been brought back since the first of the year.  Sheriff Crewse says there are 3 or 4 more who could be kept here as well as at Nevada.  It cost the county $18 per month for each patient kept at Nevada, and they also have to furnish their clothes.---Wright County Republican

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Homer Roy, July 14, a baby boy.

We still have strange happenings around Smittle as last week we saw a boy riding a cow.

July 30, 1931:

Mr. Gene Holdren of Norwood and Miss Ruth Brown of this city were united in marriage Saturday evening, July 18.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. F. O. Hunt at his residence on Maple Avenue.  The bridal couple were attended by Mr. Lowell Long and Miss Lorraine Shelby.  Mr. Holdren is a son of Mr. and Mrs. G. L. Holdren of Mountain Grove.  He is engaged in the garage business at Norwood.  Mrs. Holdren is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Brown of this city.  After graduating from the Mountain Grove high school, she joined the force of the Mountain Grove Bank.  Mr. Holdren gained his first business experience while associated with the Frisk Motor Co. of this city.---Mountain Grove Journal
    The happy couple will make their home in Norwood, having rooms with Mrs. P. D. Little

Homer F. Stephenson was born in Corning, Iowa Jan. 25, 1876 and departed this life July 16, 1931 at the age of 53 years, 5 months and 21 days.  He leaves to mourn their loss a wife, 8 sons, 4 daughters and 4 sisters.  He professed hope in Christ a few weeks before he died.  Funeral services were conducted at the community hall by Rev. Mose Willis and he was laid to rest in the Curtis Cemetery.

Roy Harris and Orville Wheat, residents of the Omba neighborhood, in the east end of Douglas County, were arrested Sunday by deputy sheriffs Charles Holman and Mack Mooris and are now in the county jail here, charged with manufacturing liquor.  The two young men were found in charge of a still in full operation, it was said.  The officers also confiscated about 20 gallons of liquor.  Young Harris, according to information received here, is wanted in Howell County on charges of having broke jail at West Plains about a year ago.  He was being held in the county jail there on a liquor charge.  Bond for Harris was fixed at $4000 and for Wheat at $2500, neither of whom is expected to make bond.  The preliminary hearing has been set before Justice Ross of Ava on July 30th.  The still, said to have been a big one, was hidden in the woods, and the officers watched operations for some time before revealing their presence.---Douglas County Herald

Art Kelley tells us of catching 235 fish from a pond on his father's farm last Friday.  As a result, the Kelley, Knotwell, Gregory and Shannon families enjoyed a fish fry that night, and 125 of the fish were placed in a large tank of water.

Early Wednesday morning, robbers entered the Norwood Post Office, blowed the safe and took money, stamps, etc. estimated at probably $1000.  The thieves entered at a window from the side-walk, and after ransacking the contents of the safe and taking what they wanted, left by the rear door.  The knob was broken off of the combination of the safe and the door between the lobby and the inner part of the post office was slightly ajar when Postmaster F. E. Hart entered the building about 7:45 Wednesday morning.  Mr. Hart notified Postal Inspector Baker at Springfield at once and awaited the Inspector's arrival before taking any action.  The J. A. Randall Hardware store and Woods & Miller Furniture store were also entered and the safes opened.  Money estimated at probably $200 and some articles of merchandise were taken from the former and, we understand, a note was ll that was taken from the latter.  Both stores were entered from the rear.  One of the robbers' tools was left at Randall's store.  George Chandler reports having seen a man standing close to the depot on the platform when he went to get the mail from the night train, but no definite clues have been found as we go to press.  The Post Office Inspector has announced that a reward of $200 each will be paid for the arrest and conviction of those participating in the robbery.

Friends of Ray Scarborough will be glad to learn that he was able to leave the hospital last week and was taken to his home at Jefferson City.  He had been in the Missouri Baptist Hospital in St. Louis for several weeks.

The school board met at the Liberty school house Monday and put in the new pump they purchased some time ago.  They have also bought some new blackboards, seats and a large dictionary.

August 6, 1931:

Postmaster F. E. Hart is having trouble of his own.  Last week all his stamps were taken when the office was robbed.  He secured a new supply and, for safe keeping, had them placed in the bank vault where they have proved safe indeed, as Mr. Gass lost the combination and cannot open the vault.  Hope the local shortage will not cause the price of stamps to go up.

Saturday as Andrew Worsham was driving onto the highway at the Shannon filling station his car collided with another car going east on the highway.  This car was from Independence, Mo., and was occupied by a father and mother and their son and wife, all of whom were on their way to visit the Lyman Massey family.  The older woman had a bad cut in the lower lip and her husband suffered some bruises but none were seriously injured.  Dr. VanNoy dressed the injuries.  Both cars were damaged som.  Had it not been for the open ditches in front of the Thompson and Shannon filling stations this accident would in all probabilities have been avoided, as Mr. Worsham would have had room to get in the clear.  We never saw anything as useless as, or more foolish than, the opening of these pits, or ditches, at this place and our citizens should make a vigorous protest to the highway department in regard to same.  If they are not closed many more accidents will result.

Mrs. Nan Smotherman, 60 years of age, died July 23 at her home in Tulare, Calif., after a long illness.  She is survived by her husband, John W. Smotherman; 4 children: Paul Smotherman, Mrs. Clarence Smith and Mrs. Roy Light of Tulare, and Annis Smith of Huntington Park, Calif.; one brother, Benton Bruton of Lindsay, Calif.  Mrs. Smotherman was converted in her youth.  She moved to California 17 years ago from Norwood, Mo., residing in Lindsay a few years before moving to Tulare.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Shields of the Church of God and interment was in the Tulare Cemetery.

Miss Lucille Hardie and Paul Mitchell were united in marriage at the courthouse in Nevada Monday, July 27th.  The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Hardie.  She was reared here and is a fine young woman.  The groom has lived here only a short time but is known to be an industrious young man.  They have the good wishes of the News and their many friends.---Schell City News
    Paul Mitchell is a son of Mrs. Martin Mitchell, formerly of Norwood, but now living at Schell City..

Ten years ago this summer the Pearman flour mill ceased to grind wheat into flour.  The change came about from a changed situation on the farms around Mountain Grove.  The farmers here were no longer producing sufficient wheat to justify he operation of the mill.  Today conditions have changed again.  There is again a good quantity of wheat in the country.  And on Friday, after spending several weeks in thoroughly overhauling the machinery, Mr. Pearman put his flour mill in operation again.  The mill promises to be of real service to our farmers in that it will do custom grinding, "exchanging flour for wheat on a fair basis" according to Mr. Pearman.  The farmer who hasn't storage space on his farm for his wheat but who wants to keep it to furnish his own flour can store it at the mill and be guaranteed against a shrinkage of not to exceed 2 per cent.  Mr. Pearman states that he will manufacture and merchandise only one grad of high patent flour under the trade name "Silver Star."  The part of the grain that is usually put into a second grade flour will be used in make high grade shorts.  Farmer may have their wheat ground as fine as shorts for feeding purposes if they wish.  The Pearman mill has a capacity of 100 barrels of flour per day.  Mr. Pearman thinks there will be no difficulty in grinding steadily from now on and that wheat production on a moderate basis in this locality is here to stay.---Mountain Grove Journal

The report as published last week that the Woods & Miller store was robbed at the same time as the Post Office and Randall's hardware was a mistake, as that store was not broken into.

Mrs. Bob Allen has been very ill at her home with heat prostration.

Mrs. Brooks has also been sick.  She was overcome by heat a week ago but is some better.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Will Eberhart July 20, a son.  They are staying with her folks, Mr. and Mrs. Will Miller.

August 13, 1931:

We made mention in this column last week of the plight of the Postmaster in having his stamps locked up in the vault at the bank; however, we are glad to report that the vault was only closed two days and that the business of Mr. Gass was not affected by the mislaying of the combination.  A little inconvenience and embarrassment for a few hours was the only result.  The mails came and went just the same and business at the bank was transacted in the usual businesslike manner.

Squire Hilsabeck's court on Tuesday had a case which brought quite a crowd of witnesses and spectators from the Norwood neighborhood.  On the night of July 29, a meeting---Pentacostal, we believe---was in progress at Caudle, two miles north of town.  Tom A Caudle, about 60 years old, and 6 youths ranging in age from 18 to 25 were charged with disturbing.  Part of them pleaded guilty and fines of $1 and costs each were assessed against the elder Caudle, his son Virgil, Harold Jarrett and Charles Burns, Jr., and costs against Paul and Lest Jarrett and Roy Moore.  T. A. Caudle settled and Barns has promised to settle within to weeks.  The other refused to pay their fines and costs and were taken to the county jail.---Mountain Grove Journal

The seventeenth annual old settlers' reunion will be held at Fairview, northeast of Mountain Grove, August 20 and 21.  There will be talks by old settlers, good music, speeches, etc.  On Thursday night Attorney M. J. Huffman will deliver an address on "The American Pioneer".  Friday afternoon State Senator D. L. Bales of Eminence will deliver an address.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Jones, Tuesday night, a boy.

In a riding contest Sunday, Bethel Bruton was successful in riding an outlaw mule belonging to Sam Chadwell.  An offer of $15 had been made to anyone who would ride the animal

Mrs. Roy Anderson has the largest amount of blackberries canned of anyone in our community, having 93 gallons.

August 20, 1931:

Early Friday morning 3 bandits robbed the bank at Avilla, near Springfield, loading the safe into a truck and attempting to escape with it.  They were captured near Halltown by a posse of farmers who gave chase, one of the bandits being shot through the shoulder.  One of the men was identified as Arthur P. Bruton who was born and reared at Norwood, and who escaped fro the Texas prison at Huntsville about a year ago while serving a life sentence for highway robbery.  Another is Asa Pendleton, many-termer from Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas prisons, and parole violator from Texas.  The third man is George E. Stone, 31, of Tulsa, Okla.  Finger prints discovered on a metal box in the post office at Norwood which was robbed the night of July 29, provided the first clue to the identity of the bandits.  H. D. Linker, Springfield finger print expert, examined prints taken of the trio Friday and recognized those of Stone as being similar to those he had found in the Norwood post office.  Linker then took the prints of the second man who had given his name as Lane and found them in the same classification as those of Arthur Bruton.  This discovery sent the officers to the rogue's gallery for Bruton's picture which had been sent to Springfield at the time of his escape from the Texas prison.  When confronted with the picture, Bruton admitted his identity and signed the identification card, "A. P. Bruton."  Bruton is thought by police to have been a member of the trio which staged the $3000 Nafziger bakery hold-up early last fall.  He has also been implicated with an $11,000 bank hold-up at Mansfield, La., on the last day of last year.  The hideout of the bandits was uncovered in Springfield Saturday and two women were arrested charged with being accessories before the fact.  The women were arrested as they were about to leave Springfield on a bus.  They gave their names as Betty Conley, 26, and Beryl Davidson, 26, both of Texas.  They are said by officers to have been connected with several gangs of bank robbers throughout the southwest, and are known to have lived in a hideout on North Lyon avenue.  Among other loot found at the Lyon avenue house was the watches stolen from Randall's hardware store in Norwood.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Joe Snaveley, Sunday night, a girl.

Mr. and Mrs. Charley Purtle are the proud parents of a baby girl born last Tuesday.

A baby girl arrived in the Garland home Sunday morning.

August 27, 1931:

Mary Minerva Preston was born in Tennessee, March 13, 1843 and departed this life Aug. 18, 1931 at the age of 88 years, 5 months and 5 days.  She went from Tennessee to Dallas County, Mo., with her parents when but a child.  At the age of 18 years she was married to Andrew Jackson Ussery.  To this union were born 3 children.  One preceded her to the glory land in infancy and another, Mrs. Ollie Delaney, in middle life.  She professed faith in Christ at the age of 18 years, uniting with the Freewill Baptist church at Oak Grove in later life.  After several years of wedded happiness the death angel called her companion from her home, but she bore her sorrow patiently and cared for her little ones, spending many lonely hours.  She lived a widow 6 years and was then united in marriage to Tom Jeff Allen.  To this union were born 4 children, one dying in infancy.  She leaves to mourn her passing, three sons Alonzo, Edgar and Teddie Allen, all in California, and one daughter, Mrs. Elisha Owens of Norwood.  She leaves a number of grandchildren, 25 great-grandchildren, 3 sisters Betty Butcher, Sig Ridens of Norwood, and Susie Crass of Roff, Okla. and Mrs. Bob Allen, an orphan she raised and loved as her own.  Funeral services were conducted by E. L. Burney Wednesday afternoon at Oak Grove church and burial was at Oak Grove.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Stewart August 19th, a son, their second child.

The ladies of the neighborhood are very busy canning peaches.  Mrs. Albert Fletcher has canned 50 gallons.

September 3, 1931:

Ama, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Housley, was born April 29, 1913.  Departed this life Aug. 29, 1931 at the age of 18 years and 4 months from typhoid fever.  She was married to John Woods May 16, 1930.  To this union was born one daughter, Vinia Mae.  She leaves to mourn her departure a loving husband, infant daughter, father, mother, 3 brothers and 2 sisters.  She was laid to rest in the Denlow Cemetery in the presence of one of the largest gatherings of people that ever came to Denlow.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. G. Morrow.

Jeremiah H. Wells, whose long life came to a close at his home on South Street in this city last Monday, was in the 98th year of his age and was the oldest citizen of Mountain Grove, if not of Wright County.  Funeral services were conducted at the Church of God tabernacle by the Rev. J. W. Mason and the military burial at Hillcrest Cemetery was in charge of the American Legion.  Jeremiah M. Wells was born near Greencastle, Putnam County, Indiana, Nov. 4, 1833.  He served in the Union Army during the Civil War as a member of Company A, 149th Regiment, Illinois Infantry.  He was married to Sarah Davis March 9, 1854 and to this union were born 8 children, but all have preceded him in death except one son, W. E. Wells of Wichita, Kansas.  March 30, 1896 he was married to Ida Mason and to this union was born one daughter, Mrs. Lon Riley.  He leaves to mourn their loss his widow, one daughter, one son, several grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.---Mountain Grove Journal

Grandma Mitchell writes from Lone Jack, Mo. that her only brother, A. B. Rice, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Carrie May in Kansas City August 18th and was buried in Reed Cemetery near Lone Jack August 20.  Mr. Rice was at one time a resident of this community and was a teacher in the Sunday school of Fairview Church.  He was 82 years, 4 months and 7 days old at the time of his death.  He leaves a daughter, 2 granddaughters and 2 great-granddaughter, all of Kansas City.  Mrs. Mitchell writes that she is very lonely as she is the only one left of her father's or her own immediate family.  Her father, mother, 4 brothers, 4 sisters, husband and 2 children have all gone on to the other world.  At the time of the writing, she was at the home of a niece, Mrs. Emma Brown, but expected to go to Schell City in about 2 weeks to the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Sarah Mitchell.

While riding on the running board of a car driven by a son of Cale Brooks, of Brushy Knob, Tuesday morning, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dick Rhodes had his nose broken and received other injuries when the Brooks car attempted to pass Arthur Akers' car on a narrow road south of town.  Mr. Akers saw the other car approaching at an excessive rate of speed and turned his car out of the way as far as possible and stopped.  As the Brooks car passed, the sides of the cars came together, catching the Rhodes boy between the two.  The injured boy was brought to Dr. VanNoy's office by Mr. Akers for treatment.  This is another accident to be charged up toe reckless driving.

Mr. and Mrs. Otis Owens have a baby son born Friday.

September 10, 1931:

Dr. VanNoy reports an epidemic of broken arms the past week.  The five year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Rader fell off a load of wood Thursday and suffered a broken arm.  The same day, a three year old girl of Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Stewart, of Olathe, fell out of a baby buggy and had one arm fractured.  Sunday evening, Junior, son of Rev. and Mrs. W. H. Kelley, fell off of a donkey, dislocating his right elbow.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Findley, on Whetstone, Sunday, a boy, their first child.  As Mr. Findley is 38 years old, he is naturally stepping high.

We were sorry to hear of the death of Cornelius Carter.

James W. Foster, 48, former resident of Hartville, has been sentenced to be hanged at Greeley, Colo., the week of December 7th, on the charge of the murder of his wife and 3 children.  Foster confessed to killing his family by igniting gasoline thrown over them while they slept.  He at first denied all connection will the crime which was committed several months ago, but later confessed.  Dying statements of Mrs. Foster and the oldest girl accused Foster.

Five boys from near Mansfield were taken into custody Tuesday night, Sept. 8, by officers C. H. Cole and Mose Gray on the charge of unlawfully taking water melons from the L. J. Imbler farm west of Norwood.  The were arraigned in Justice court in Norwood where they were fined and sentenced to jail at Hartville, the officers taking them on over to the county seat.  Last Thursday night officers Cole and Gray and Henry Bradshaw captured 5 others at the same farm for the same offence and they also plead guilty and were fined.  They were from Wolf Creek.  Better count the cost before taking the other fellow's property, then go buy your melons.

This community is saddened again just now with the news of the death of Uncle Bob Bruton, of Headrick, Okla.  He was a resident of this community (Fairview) for many years, until the last few years of which he has lived with his daughter, Mrs. G. E. Cooley, of Headrick.  He was also a member of Fair View Church at his death.

Mr. and Mrs. Drew Davis are the proud parents of a baby girl.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Orville Jones, an 8 pound girl Sunday morning.  Mother and baby are doing fine.

Mr. and Mrs. L. G. McIntosh are the proud parents of a baby girl who made her arrival Thursday, Sept. 10.

One day last week deputy sheriff P. A. Ussery arrested two alleged bootleggers just north of Owensville. They were Bill Gasperson and Leon Burnett of Mountain Grove.  There were 3 half gallon jars of liquor in the car.  The men were taken to Hartville and put in the county jail.

September 24, 1931:

Watch out for salesmen who claim to be representing the Missouri College of Agriculture, says Gus Davison, county agent.  Last week there was such a salesman in the Mansfield community selling garden seeds to be delivered next spring.  The College of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Agriculture do not have anything to sell, and money spent for such goods will be lost.

The preliminary hearing of Lock Cox and Ile Upshaw, charged with felonious assault, was to have been held this week before Justice J. R. Graham at Drury, but was continued to Oct. 2nd.  Charges against the two men grew out of a shooting affray at Denlow late in August, in which Bent Upshaw, a brother of Ile Upshaw, was wounded in the hand and Shelt Cox was wounded in the foot.  The shooting marked the revival of an old feud between the two families.---Douglas County Herald

The new house, which Mrs. Hattie Chadwell is having built in the north part of Norwood is nearing completion under the direction of J. H. Caudle of Winfield, Kansas.  Mrs. Chadwell expects to soon be settled in her splendid new home which will be furnished throughout will new furniture and will have lights and water.

The stock of merchandise at Odin, Wright County, recently traded for by T. J. Moorhouse of Ava, was destroyed by fire at about 3 o'clock Friday morning.  The building and contents were valued at $3000, it is understood.  There was no insurance on the property.---Douglas County Herald

Arthur Bruton and his companion, Asa Pendleton, appeared in court in Springfield last week and plead guilty to the charge of robbing the bank at Republic.  They were each sentenced to 10 years in the penitentiary at Jefferson City and were immediately taken to that prison to begin serving their terms.

The community was saddened last week to learn of the death of Mrs. Polly Vaughn, which occurred Thursday, Sept. 17, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alice Cowen, at Fordland.  The body was brought here Sunday in charge of T. B. Bouldin, and funeral services were conducted at 2:30 by Rev. Kennedy of Fordland.  Mrs. Vaughn was 62 years old and leaves to mourn 2 sons, Lawrence and Harley; 2 daughters, Mrs. Minnie Baze and Mrs. Alice Cowen; a number of grandchildren; 2 brothers Martin and Calvin Miller of Oklahoma and 3 sisters.  Burial was in Lone Star Cemetery beside her husband who passed away 3 years ago.

October 1, 1931:

Sunday as Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hylton and son, Raymond, and Mr. and Mrs. Dan Hylton were enroute to Bagnell Dam their car overturned on the highway near Grove Spring, causing a severe injury to Mrs. Walter Hylton's hip.  The others escaped serious injury.  This accident caused the party to return home without continuing to Bagnell.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Moody are the proud parents of a baby girl born last Tuesday.  She will answer to the name Margie Bonita.

Mr. and Mrs. Homer Smith have a new baby girl.

October 8, 1931:

Constable Walter Lee, deputy constable Charles Cole, city marshal Lester Thorne, night marshal Henry Martin and deputy sheriff Andrew Allen, raided Randall Snowden's place of business in Mountain Grove last Friday, taking over 67 quarts of home brew and 4 quarts of corn whiskey, also his outfit for making liquor, and two boxes of hops.  The officers are to be commended for their efforts in enforcing the law.  If reports as to conditions in and around Norwood are true, it might be that some raids nearer home would not be out of order.

Ezra Raney and Miss Dorshy Ussery were married last Saturday.

John Street and Gladys Barnett were married last Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. Elza Smith have a baby girl.  She was named Louise Angelee.

John Wheeler, Kansas ex-convict, was tried in circuit court in Marshfield Friday and Saturday for the murder of Henry Killian oat his farm home just outside of Norwood last fall.  The jury deliberated only a short time, bringing in a verdict of guilty on the charge of first degree murder, and Wheeler was sentenced to a life term in the penitentiary.  Harry Kelley, of Norwood, whose confession as an accomplice first led to the arrest of Wheeler, will be tried at Bolivar in February.

Sister Sarah Williams died last Wednesday and funeral services were conducted Thursday by Rev. Marion Williams.  Burial was in the McBride Cemetery.

Mr. Anderson ran into a gravel pile last week, turning his car over, breaking the glass and bursting a tire.  Mr. Anderson was not seriously injured.

Grandpa Gheer of Coldspring passed away Saturday and was laid to rest in the new cemetery at the Coldspring church yard, Rev. J. F. McCall of Norwood conducting the funeral Sunday.  He had helped wonderfully with the building of the new church.

October 15, 1931:

From Editor's Column:  The year 1931 A. D. will surely go down in history as the year of silly proposals.  One fellow comes along and says all that is needed is for everybody to loosen up and go to spending and prosperity will be upon us in the twinkling of an eye.  But how is a fellow going to be a liberal spender when he hasn't the price of a square meal.  Most of the common run of people long since spend all they had, then mortgaged the home, the cow, the pigs, the family jewels and even the growing crops, and have spend all that.  Now some of them barely have enough left to buy gas to take them over the hill to the poor house.  The fact is too much spending, of what was not theirs, has brought on a large share of the trouble.

William Newton, former sheriff and collector and county judge of Wright County, died at his home north of Mansfield at 2 o'clock last Thursday.  He would have been 96 years old next month.  On July 1, the Newtons celebrated their 73rd anniversary.  They were married at Hartville in 1858, three years before the Civil War began.  A year later they homesteaded near the Newton "home place," and at the time of Mr. Newton's death he was living in the house he built for his bride in 1859.  Among the family heirlooms are the loom and spinning wheel which Mrs. Newton used to convert the wool and flax which they raised on their own farm, into clothing; Mr. Newton tanned the leather and made the shoes for the family.  The family still uses woolen blankets made by Mrs. Newton by hand, although she quite weaving more than 40 years ago.  During the Civil War Mr. Newton was a member of the home guard, Company C., 73rd regiment, Missouri Militia.  He served one term as sheriff and collector of the county, so long ago that nobody remembers when, but it was when the two offices were one job.  Later Mr. Newton served two terms as county judge.  He was an uncle of Cleveland A. Newton, former congressman from St. Louis.  The surviving children are:  Mrs. Sally Oliver and Mrs. Addie Latimer of Hartville; Mrs. Flora Oliver of Joplin; E. E. Newton of Neosho; B. E. Newton of Mansfield; H. D. Newton of Hutchinson, Kans.; and E. C. Newton who lives on a farm adjoining his father's.

VanNoy's drug store was broken into by robbers last Wednesday night and about $75 worth of cigarettes, cigars and a few other articles were taken.  Entrance was made by breaking the glass in the front door.  An attempt was made to enter the Ellis general store the same night but for some reason abandoned the attempt without gaining an entrance.

As Bill Hill was going around the curve west of the A. C. Caudle home Monday evening, he almost ran into Edd Jarrett who was driving a team and wagon, and to avoid hitting him, he ran the car into the road bank, turning it over and wrecking it some, but no one was hurt.

Nancy Jane Hightower was born Oct. 17, 1853; died August 18, 1931, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Atkinson, in Kansas City, Kansas.  She was united in marriage to Rev. J. M. Gardner March 26, 1871.  To this union were born 6 children:  Sallie, Leon, Fannie, Mary, Ola and Fronia.  Only the youngest, Fronia, lived to reach maturity.  At the age of 17, Aunt Nan, as she was known to everyone in later life, was converted to faith in Christ ad one of her husband's revivals..  She united with the Freewill Baptist church at Macedonia.  After the death of her first husband, Dick Gardner, Dec. 1, 1890, she was married to Rev. Dave Long Sept. 15, 1900.  No children were born to this union.  Rev. Long died April 5, 1928.  Besides her son-in-law, James Atkinson, and her daughter Fronia, and 5 grandchildren, she leaves a host of relatives and friends.  Funeral services were conducted at the Macedonia church by Elders J. E. Burney and C. D. Findley.

Fleming Gheer who has resided on his farm 10 miles south of Norwood near Coldspring for the past 33 years, passed away at his home Saturday morning, October 3, 1931.  He was born Dec. 24, 1841 in Venango County, Penn., and moved to Illinois in infancy.  At the age of 26, he was united in marriage to Hannah C. Winters and to this union were born two children, Alice Gertrude Alverson and Roldan Harper Gheer, both of Coldspring.  He was a member of Co. B., 12th Reg., Illinois Vol. Infantry and of Co. E., 3rd Colorado Calvary, in the Civil War.  He wife preceded him in death 31 years ago.  At the time of his death he was 89 years, 9 months and 11 days of age.  He leaves to mourn his passing his son and wife, and daughter and husband, 2 grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren, 1 brother E. H. Gheer, of Clinton, Iowa and 1 sister, Mrs. Anna Desmon, of LaMoille, Illinois, a number of nieces and nephews.  Funeral services were conducted October 4th by Rev. J. F. McCall at the Clever Creek Unity Church.  He was laid to rest in the Clever Creek Unity Cemetery in which Mr. Gheer had been very much interested.

October 22, 1931:

A band of gypsies inflicted themselves upon our town Tuesday morning and were up to their usual tricks of seeking to separate people from their money without giving value received.  In one case at least they were successful, according to reports.

Circuit Court will convene in Hartville Monday.  Some cases on docket which are of special interest to this section are as follows:  State vs Erwin Turner and wife, possessing liquor; State vs Bill Hill, stay of execution; City of Mountain Grove vs L. H. Smith, operating bread truck without license; Mabel Helums by her next friend, James H. Helums vs Sherman Welch, damage; 14 divorce cases.

Sorry to hear that George Higby Jr. had his arm broken last Wednesday while cranking a truck.

We failed to mention last week the arrival of a new daughter in the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Scruggs.  The newcomer will answer to the name of Pansy Lee.

Bagnell Dam started the commercial production of electrical power Monday for St. Louis and for the mining territory to the south of that city.  The power plant at the dam develops 268,000 horse power.

Word has been received here of the marriage of Tommy McAllister, who formerly made his home here at his uncle's, P. O. Carlson's.  he will make his home at Atchinson, Kans.

Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Smith have a new baby son.

October 29, 1931:

Arthur Babb, son of Rev. and Mrs. Abe Babb of near Macomb, died Monday morning at 10 o'clock after an illness of three years with Articular rheumatism.  During the past 12 months he had been entirely helpless.  He was 23 years, 6 months and 24 days of age at the time of death.  Burial was in the Macomb Cemetery Tuesday.

Word has been received her of the marriage of George W. Hembree, who a few years ago made his home with George W. Anderson near Norwood, to Miss Edith L. Matthews of Baltimore, Md., on Oct. 14th.  They are making their home in Baltimore.

Mr. Saladin's picked apples last week, picking 14 1/2 bushels from one tree.

The community was saddened to hear of the death of Peter Crop.  His body was laid to rest in the Lone Star Cemetery.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. F. O. Hunt.  He was 86 years old.

Mr. and Mrs. Harold Calhoun are the proud parents of a new girl born October 20.

Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Cartwright are rejoicing over a new baby in their home.

November 5, 1931:

George C. Murrell, one of Wright County's prominent lawyers, last Friday was appointed assistant counsel for the Public Service Commission at Jefferson City.  The appointment was made with the approval of Governor Caulfield.  Murrell will succeed J. P. Painter who has been appointed to a post in the Department of Agriculture by Secretary Arthur M. Hyde.  Mr. Murrel's position carries a salary of $4,500 yearly.---Wright County Republican

The community was shocked to learn of the death of J. P. Book which occurred at his home Friday about 11 o'clock.  He had been at work at Hartville and while there became suddenly ill and was brought home Thursday evening and died the following day.  Funeral services were held at the Christian Church in Norwood Sunday, conducted by Bro. George Higby.  His body was then sent to Green, Kansas, for burial, accompanied by Mrs. Book.  He leaves to mourn their loss his wife, Mary Book; one daughter Lyllyan; 2 stepsons Harry Snethen of Lincoln, Nebr. and Charley Snethen of Des Moines, Iowa; several grandchildren; some brothers and sisters.

Mr. and Mrs. Sherman Jones have a new baby girl at their house.

Mr. Greenwood is through making molasses, having made more than 3,000 gallons.

Rolla Gheer had the bodies of his mother and daughter moved from the home place and buried in the new cemetery at Cold Spring by the side of Grandpa Gheer who had requested before he died that this be done.  Mrs. Gheer has been dead 31 years.

November 12, 1931:

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Claude Roy, Thursday, Nov. 5th, a baby girl.

Mrs. Caroline Sisco passed away at 11:20 Sunday night at her home in Norwood.  She was apparently in her usual health Sunday but that night she awakened her granddaughter, Joyce Cramer, who was staying with her and told her she was suffering a great deal.  Joyce called her mother, Mrs. Charles Cramer, who lives near by.  When she came in she found Mrs. Sisco in the kitchen trying to vomit.  Mr. Cramer was called, but Mrs. Sisco died shortly after he arrived.  Mrs. Sisco was 65 years, 8 months and 2 days of age.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Love at the Pentecostal Church in Norwood at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday and interment was in the Strunk Cemetery at Omo.  The Bouldin-Ryan funeral directors had charge of arrangements.

Mr. Martin H. Oetting, of Mansfield, and Miss Lolella Christy were united in marriage last Sunday, Nov. 8th, at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Louella Christy, near Macomb.

Mr. and Mrs. Ray Barnett, north of town, are rejoicing over the arrival of a 9 1/2 pound boy.

November 19, 1931:

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Roy died last Thursday, age one week.

Caroline Sisco was born March 6, 1866; departed this life Nov. 8, 1931.  She was the mother of 14 children, 8 of whom are living.  She confessed her faith in Christ at an early age.

Mr. and Mrs. Homer Bradshaw are rejoicing over the arrival of a new baby boy born Tuesday morning.

November 26, 1931:

Mr. and Mrs. Jim Lowery are the proud parents of a 6 pound baby girl born Nov. 11.  The little Miss has been named Dorothy Marie.

Work was begun last week on crushing rock for the farm-to-market road south and a number have found profitable employment in hauling rocks for the crusher.  Farmers are finding it a good way to dispose of a crop which has otherwise been a nuisance and which was not affected by drouth, cold winters, cinch bugs or army worms.

Miss Anna Allen is visiting her brother, Bob, and family.

Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Steinert are the proud parents of a baby boy born last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Dodd are the proud parents of a baby girl who arrived Friday Nov. 20th.

Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Owens have a new baby son.

Mr. Wilbur Thomas and Miss Mabel Bradshaw were united in marriage last Monday night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Shackleford.  Rev. S. B. Moody tied the knot.

Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Skinner are the proud parents of a new baby girl at their home.

Items excerpted from "The Norwood Index" by Phyllis Rippee.  October 6, 2009