CASKEY, Joseph H. 65 m SC bks b 1785 Chester Co SC s/o John CASKEY b 1750 Ireland & Esther (?); J.H. d 15 Apr 1853 bur Mtn Dale Cem Webster Co MO; m 16 Jan 1817 Williamson Co TN to:
Catharine 53 f TN “Caty” nee: SCOBY; b 1797 d 16 Nov 1876 bur Mtn Dale Cem near Seymour MO; 1860 Webster Co MO in son John's household.
Elizabeth 19 f TN sch m John PEARSON s/o Jeremiah PEARSON & 2nd wife Mary TAGGART; 1860 Webster Co MO; no children; See #20-20 Wright Co MO 1850.
Nancy 16 f TN sch
Elenor 12 f TN
Manerva 09 f TN sch
Joseph 06 m MO
Mary 10 f TN
John S. 25 m TN bks m 22 Apr 1855 Webster Co MO to Lucinda PEARSON d/o Jeremiah PEARSON & 2nd wife Mary TAGGART, see #20-20 Wright Co
John S. CASKEY Blacksmith and Bellmaker.
He was born 11 March 1822 in Williamson County, TN, s/o Joseph H.CASKEY and Catherine “Caty” SCOBY who married on 16 Jan 1817 in Williamson Co TN. Joseph H. was born in 1785 Chester Co, SC, to John CASKEY born in 1750 in Balleymoney, Ireland, died 5 Dec 1785 in Rocky Creek, Chester Co SC, married Esther (?) about 1769 in Ballymoney. They with one child, arrived Port Charleston in 1772. His will recorded in Kershaw Parish SC names wife Esther, daughters Ezebell, and Mary and sons John, Robert, Thomas, and Joseph H., January court 1797. Esther remarried to a Mr. GRAHAM.
Joseph H. CASKEY died 15 April 1853. Caty SCOBY CASKEY was born 1797 in TN, died 16 Nov 1876 in Webster Co MO. She is buried beside Joseph and near John S. and Lucinda,in Mountain Dale “Lick Skillet” Cemetery, near Seymour.
John S. CASKEY followed the trade of his father and ancestors as a
blacksmith and bellmaker. They set up their forge at Mountain Dale about1846. He would make up a wagon load of bells of all sizes, drawn by oxen, he would haul them all around the Ozarks area to sell.
In 1886 he made a trip to Eureka Springs, AR and on the old Harrison Road,was ambushed, killed and robbed. Legend is that a farmer said he heard his dogs carrying-on all night, next morning he set out to see what it was that had them disturbed, and found the wagon, the cash-box was broken open and the cash gone. The dogs led him to a brush pile where the (yet unknown) culprit had tried to hide the body.
Family members set out on horseback, some returned with the wagon, bearingMr. CASKEY’S remains, traveling in the blowing snow, back to Lick Skillet; while others rode for several days in the Arkansas area hoping to catch up to the killer, but never found him.
John S. CASKEY married on 22 April 1855 in Webster Co MO, newly formed from Wright and Greene Co., to Lucinda PEARSON, d/o Jeremiah PEARSON and 2nd wife, Mary TAGGART. Lucinda was born in Nov 1833 and died in 1899. They had nine children. Their youngest son, Bill CASKEY, carried on the blacksmithing trade and had a shop in Seymour. They say while shoeing a horse he would whistle “Turkey in the Straw” and drive the nails to the rhythm.
A daughter, Isabelle “Belle” was born 16 June 1860 at Mountain Dale,
married John Henry CARTER 29 Dec 1878 at Thornfield, Ozark Co MO.
When the Liberty Bell was cast the third time, the CASKEY brothers from
SC were called upon to do the job as they were noted for their knowledge ofthe acoustics of bells.
His name is among those who were early emigrants into the Missouri area.
Their names are mentioned in Schoolcrafts’ Journal of a Tour in Missouri
and Arkansas, 1818-1819. Jeremiah was a scout, he had backbone and the
spirit for survival. Schoolcraft and his group camped about one half mile northeast of the confluence of Pearson Creek and the James River. A
historical marker designates this place as one of the oldest recorded events in Greene County, MO. Perhaps at this time, Jeremiah decided this was his “Promised Land”. About 1822 he had obtained permission from the
Delaware Indians to build his mill, one of the very first mills in all ofSouthwest Missouri. He settled on 161 acres in Section 5 of Township 29 in Range 20, near a large spring. The waters from this spring forms the creekthat bears his name, the sign reads “PIERSON CREEK”. The land patent number was 4035. He sold this land, in 1834, to Josiah F. DANFORTH.
He was always on the move and scouting new areas, he was enumerated on
the 1830 Madison County MO census; 1833 Greene County MO Tax List
and Court Minutes; 1840 finds him on both Madison Co and Pulaski Co MO;
1850 he appears on the Wright Co MO census, this part later became WebsterCo MO in 1855.
Jeremiah first married on 2 January 1811, in Ross Co Ohio, to Susannah
LANTZ born 13 Sep 1786 in NJ, where her parents, George LANTZ and Ann
(?) resided before moving to Hocking Valley in Ohio in 1809, where they
resided in Athens Co.
Jeremiah and Susannah had one son and two daughters.
After Susannah’s death, legend is that Jeremiah took a Delaware bride in aceremony held at the Natural Well (now Springfield, Greene Co MO).
The Delawares were removed from this area in 1829.
Between 1823 and 1825 a man named TAGGART settled just south of the
mouth of Pearson Creek. Tradition is that Jeremiah took as his wife, MaryTAGGART, nearly 20 years younger than he. They had four sons and six
daughters. Jeremiah was left a widower in 1850. In 1854 he married againto another Mary (her surname is yet unknown). The divorce papers state they separated about April 1855, and the divorce granted in October 1856.
Jeremiah died in Nov 1857. The inventory of his estate is quite lengthy, on file in Webster County MO Courthouse. It is believed Jeremiah and Mary (TAGGART) PEARSON are buried on his Webster County land, his patent
#8085 dated 3 Apr 1848, was signed by James K. Polk, President of the
United States, contains 160 acres in the E1/2 of the SE1/4 of Section 23 and the W1/2 of the SW1/4 of Section 24 in Township 29 Range 17.
Levi PEARSON, a brother to Jeremiah, married Nancy LANTZ, a sister to
Susannah, another sister, Elizabeth LANTZ, married Jesse H. SANDERS.
In 1818 these three young couples, along with the George LANTZ family,
removed to Madison and Marion County Arkansas and Ozark County
W. McCLURG was b 22 Feb 1818 near Lebanon, MO, s/o Joseph McCLURG and Mary
BROTHERTON. He was orphaned at an early age and reared by relatives
in Pittsburg. He attended schools in Ohio, studied
a short time for the ministry, taught school in Louisiana and Mississippi, moved to Texas, studied law and was admitted to the bar in Columbus, Texas. He served as clerk of the Circuit Court there. In 1840 McCLURG returned to Missouri where he opened a general store in Linn Creek. He was Deputy Sheriff of St Louis County, which stretched half-way across the state then, went to California in the gold rush and returned in 1852 to open both a wholesale and retail business at Linn Creek. His “Big Store on the Osage” became the chief trading point for southwest Missouri because the business extended into Kansas, Arkansas and the Indian Territory. He joined the Union Army when the War Between the States started, organized, equipped and commanded the Osage Regt MO VOL and the Hickory Co Battalion. He supplied camp utensils, lead and powder from his store valued at $6,000 and wrote off $4,000 as a loss. Mrs. McCLURG had inherited several slaves upon their marriage and when the war started McCLURG moved to liberate them.
In 1862 he was elected to Congress from a ten-county district that includedJefferson City, Sedalia, Harrisonville, Butler, Nevada and Osceola. In his first term he voted for the abolition of slavery. He was re-elected twice and resigned in his third term to seek the governorship, which he won by defeating John S. PHELPS by a vote of 82,107 to 62,780, PHELPS was elected governor in 1876. During McCLURG’S administration the 15th amendment was ratified, the School of Mines established at Rolla, the College of Agriculture established at the University of Missouri, and the State Colleges added at Kirksville and Warrensburg. He also reduced the public debt during his term, which was described as “plain, careful, conscientious, unostentations and business-like-radical in name only”.
Mary C., his wife, died in Dec 1861, leaving him with 8 small children.
When McCLURG came up for re-election, he was defeated by B. Gratz
BROWN. He returned to Linn Creek and resumed his mercantile business,
engaged in some steamboating and lead mining and was appointed register of the Springfield Land Office in 1889 which he held until 1893.
He died 2 Dec 1900 at the home of a daughter. While Govenor, he signed the pardon for Charles Mathias PRIESTER. Mary C.’s mother, Frances Ann (?) JOHNSTON 2nd married Wm. D. “Pop” MURPHY.