Search billions of records on


January & February

Private William Meek Furr listed as present on the Company E Muster Roll.

On January 17, Brigadier General Carnot Posey was directed to "proceed to Richmond, taking Adjt. J. Routh with him, and report to the Adjutant and Inspector General for orders." Such orders usually meant an assignment was pending. On January 18, the 16th Miss "formed [a] square in 4 ranks to hear Col. Posey's Farewell Address. He is to be promoted to brigadier general and expects to go to Mississippi to command a brigade." "Posey had been made one of the twenty 'special' Brigadier Generals named under the act of Oct. 13, 1862. Apparently, till almost the eve of Featherston's decision to go South, the transfer of Posey to some other army had been in consideration." On January 19, Brigadier General Carnot Posey (January 19 to October 15, 1863) relieved Brigadier General Featherston who was transferred to the Army of the West and directed to go on to Jackson, Mississippi.

Posey's Brigade camped north of Fredericksburg opposite Falmouth. The weather was generally cold, rainy, and unpleasant, although there were occasional sunny days. The troops were busy keeping warm, doing picket duty, and working on the fortifications. However, there was time for some recreation. "Amused ourselves by rolling ten pins with cannon balls." Company and battle drill and dress parades were the order of the day. The 19th Miss was called by the "Long Roll" into battle lines on several occasions all of which proved to be false alarms. On January 28 and 29, it snowed eight inches. Many of the troops were granted furloughs during this time and returned to Mississippi for up to 30 days. Beginning in the middle of February, Posey's Brigade moved about 12 miles up stream to United States Mine Ford.

"The men of General Posey's brigade have constructed log huts, covered with tent canvas, and daubed with mud, and in a word they are constructed on a cheap plan, but in a comfortable manner. We often have to leave them to go on picket duty, or such other duty as may be assigned to us, and while we are away from our simple and rudely constructed huts, we are soon convinced of their importance. Thus we wag along meeting the hardships, troubles, and pleasure of each day as they come, and when the ground is covered with snow like it is today, we amuse ourselves snowballing. In such sport you know that there are always two parties, and here in this brigade, the contending parties are two different regiments, and not unfrequently [sic] headed by their colonel, which inspire the men, and they fight with the snowballs with a desperation almost beyond conception. Each party wishing to be the victor, they charge, and charge again, and pour their chilling missiles into each other's ranks, and not very seldom in each other's faces, which does not hurt their looks at all but to the contrary, when they stop their sport, they come out with much cleaner faces than they began with."

March & April

On March 28 under the leadership of Reverend Charles H. Dobbs (Chaplain, 12th Miss), almost 200 members of Posey's Brigade organized a "Christian Philanthropic Society." The recording clerk was Reverend Thomas L. Duke (Chaplain, 19th Miss) and the corresponding secretary was Reverend H. M. Morrison (Company G, 19th Miss). The purpose as stated in the preface to the constitution and bylaws was as follows: "It is to gather together the Christians, and those who are morally inclined, in camp; those who are away from their regular folds, and beyond the influence of those churches with which they are connected, previous to the breaking out of the war, beyond the influence of friends and home, and are now exposed to all the dangers and temptations common to camp life. We do not propose to organize a CHURCH, but to collect into one body, Christians of all denominations--those men who have not given themselves up to sin and vice--to induce others to give up vices already formed--and thus throw around them a shield, where each may influence the other--where Christians may come forward and acknowledge before the world that they are the children of the God, and all may take a bold stand for virtue and truth. In camp life, men have few opportunities of becoming acquainted, and the Christians of two regiments camped side by side for months, never know each other; hence the necessity of this organization, to draw them together in a bond of union. They thus become acquainted, and assist each other in walking the 'narrow way.' Young men of good morals, not Christians, form associations, which will influence them for good. Christians having thus become acquainted with each other, prayer meetings are conducted with more ease and system. In case of death of any member of the organization, or any disaster happening to him, by the rules of the society, his friends will be immediately made acquainted with all the facts in the case. Sinners may thus be converted and brought to give their hearts to God; backsliders reclaimed, and influenced to follow Jesus more punctually; Christians aroused and induced to live in closer communion with God."

Rations were scarce and a heavy snow fell on April 4. Private Jim Wilson, 16th Miss, wrote home, "Camp Starvation, near United States Mine Ford. I am used to hardships. I can do with eating once a day just as we used to do with eating three." The troops were kept busy with guard and picket duty, company and battle drills, and working on their fortifications. On April 2, Harris was appointed and confirmed as Colonel of the Regiment. On April 9, Posey's Brigade moved their camp two miles down stream.

Private William Meek Furr listed as detailed to the Confederate Army Pioneer Corps, April 10. He was part of a detail of 125 men from two brigades (Posey and Mahone's) detached to build a bridge at Germanna Ford.

In late April, General Hooker began to move his forces toward Kelly's Ford on the Rappahannock in an attempt to turn Lee's left flank and get into his rear. The quickness of this move was unexpected. Two Union corps rapidly marched the 11 miles from Kelly's Ford to Germanna Ford on the Rapidan. As a result, "Hooker's move so surprised Lee that there was nobody guarding the vital Germanna crossing except a bridge-building party of about 125 soldiers. Fifty of these were posted on the north bank when the Union advance guard from Brig. Gen. Thomas H. Ruger's brigade made contact. Ruger spread a regiment far off each side of the road and pushed them through the thickets to envelop the Rebel outpost, capturing most of the fifty. As the Rapidan bent around the ford, this put the rest of the Rebels on the south bank under fire from two sides. They resisted briefly but with spirit, firing from inside the old Germanna mill and behind stacks of bridging timber on the bank. Although a few got away through the woods, about 100 prisoners were taken by the converging Federal regiments. As these Confederates marched back past the advancing Union column, they were astonished that so many thousands had moved so far without their knowledge." Private William Meek Furr was taken prisoner with arms and accouterments on April 26 while on duty building a bridge at Germanna Ford. Private J.M. Leach, also of Company E, made his escape from this bridge but lost his arms and accouterments.

On April 29, the 19th Miss was at United States Mine Ford on the Rappahannock acting as a blocking force to Union forces advancing to the Rapidan crossings. Five companies of the 19th Miss and one regiment of Mahone's Brigade were left to watch and defend the ford while the rest of their units moved toward Chancellorsville. On April 30, the force at United States Mine Ford was withdrawn and moved toward Chancellorsville by the Plank road. While they were moving off, and before the pickets had been called in, the Union cavalry, under cover of fog and rain, dashed upon the pickets on the Ely's Ford road and captured part of one company.

May & June

At the Battle of Chancellorsville (May 1-4), the 19th Miss was assigned to Longstreet's Corps, Anderson's Division, Posey's Brigade. They were commanded by Colonel Nathaniel H. Harris*, who had been promoted on April 2. On May 1, they started out to cooperate with Jackson's flank march. They fought nearly all day with a force of Union troops on the Furnace Road, pushing it back from a position which would have been fatal to the campaign. Sometime after 11:00 p.m., they advanced almost to the Union entrenchments. "The night of the 1st and the morning of May 2 passed quietly. At 7:00 a.m. Posey's brigade moved a little to the rear of the line of battle, having been relieved by that of Brigadier-General Thomas. When Lieutenant-General Jackson's command moved against the enemy's right, the position immediately on the left of the Plank road that had been held by a part of his troops was taken by Wright's brigade. At midday the enemy appeared in some force at the furnace [Catherine Furnace]. Posey's brigade was sent to dislodge him, and was soon engaged in a warm skirmish with him. The increasing numbers of the enemy made it necessary to move Wright's brigade to the support of Posey's, and Mahone's was at the same time moved over from the old turnpike to the position just left by Wright's. Posey's brigade gallantly maintained its position against great odds, and checked the further advance of the enemy." During the night, Posey's Brigade constructed a line of breastworks.

[*Nathaniel Harrison Harris was born in Natchez, Mississippi, on August 22, 1834. He was a law graduate of the University of Louisiana (now Tulane) and settled thereafter in Vicksburg to practice his profession. In 1861 he organized the Warren Rifles, which was mustered into Confederate service as Company C, 19th Mississippi Infantry. He rose from captain to colonel in this regiment and was commissioned brigadier general on January 20, 1864. Following the war, he resumed his law practice in Vicksburg and later became the president of the Mississippi Valley & Ship Island Railroad, also serving for a time as registrar of the U.S. Land Office in Aberdeen, South Dakota. After 1890 he made his home in California, where he engaged in business with John Hays Hammond. He died in Malvern, England, on August 23, 1900, while on a business trip. He never married. At his own request, his remains were cremated, and the ashes conveyed to the Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York, for burial.]

On the 3rd, "General Posey's skirmishers were pushed forward toward it [the furnace], and it was discovered that the enemy had retired. Posey's Brigade advanced by the furnace, capturing many prisoners, to the line of the Confederate artillery, then deployed by the right flank and charged the Union breastworks. Colonel Harris of the 19th Miss led the attack through dense woods and over a wide abatis, and in spite of a murderous fire of musketry and artillery, they took the entrenched line." Chaplain Thomas L. Duke of the 19th Miss "remained in front of his regiment with his musket during the series of engagements, and mainly directed the movements of the skirmishers." On the 4th, they marched to Fredericksburg and advanced in line of battle about two hours before dark, driving the Union forces "with great ease towards Banks' Ford." They remained near Banks' Ford that evening. In a severe wind and rain storm the next evening, they advanced to within two miles of Chancellorsville where they bivouacked for the night. Early the 6th, they moved to Ballard's field and that evening returned to their old camp near Fredericksburg. General Anderson reported, "Brigadier-General Posey and his brave, untiring, persevering Mississippians seem to me to deserve especial notice. Their steadiness at the furnace on Saturday evening, when pressed by greatly superior numbers, saved our army from great peril, while their chivalrous charge upon the trenches on Sunday contributed largely to the successes of that day. After three days and nights of incessant occupation, Saturday night was again passed by them in hard work upon intrenchments [sic] in front of the furnace, while others had an opportunity to take some rest." The 19th Miss lost six killed, 39 wounded, and six captured or missing.

Private William Meek Furr's name appears on a register of prisoners arrested by the Provost Marshal, 12th Corps, and received and disposed of on May 1 by the Provost Marshal General, Army of the Potomac. His name then appears as a signature to a Parole of Prisoners of War, Office of the Provost Marshal General, Army of the Potomac, May 1 and on a Roll of Prisoners of War paroled at Old Capitol Prison, Washington, May 10. The endorsement reads, "Received City Point, VA, May 10th '63 from Capt John E. Mulford, 3rd. N.Y.V. (of within roll) Eight Hundred & Ninety five (895) Confederate prisoners of war paroled for exchange-W.R. Haned, Ops. P.A.C.S. [Provisional Army of the Confederate States]."

Private William Meek Furr listed on the Muster Roll of a detachment of paroled and exchanged prisoners at Camp Lee, near Richmond, for March & April. Private William Meek Furr listed as present on the Company E Muster Roll.

At the end of May, Anderson's Division, including Posey's Brigade, was transferred to the newly created 3rd Corps under Lieutenant General A. P. Hill. After Chancellorsville, Posey's Brigade went into camp near Fredericksburg where they remained until the first part of June. Sometime during this period, the men of Harris' Brigade learned that General Sherman's forces had captured Jackson, Mississippi. Anderson's Division remained at Fredericksburg observing General Hooker's forces on the heights across the river, while General Lee was preparing his movement by the left flank into Maryland and Pennsylvania.

On June 4, the 19th Miss struck camp and marched toward Hamilton's Crossing. They halted at the Telegraph Road and camped nearby. On June 5, the Union artillery opened "vigorously on the opposite bank of river. We are immediately ordered to the trenches in our front. The enemy drove our pickets from the river bank & effected a crossing. A few of the 2nd Fla & 48th Miss were captured. Lay all night in the trenches." They remained here until June 14 when they again struck camp and marched to Chancellorsville. On June 15, they marched as divisional rear guard, crossing the Rapidan at Germanna Bridge. "The road is lined with discarded blankets and overcoats."

With Hill's Corps, the 19th Miss passed through Culpepper Courthouse and camped on the north side of Hazel River (June 17), a half mile from Flint Hill (June 18), on the North Fork of the Shenandoah (June 19), a mile beyond White Post (June 20), and in Berryville (June 21). On June 22, "Left camp at 2 p.m. today & marched towards Charlestown. Saw some splendid country & fine residences. The road side in many places adorned by the 'fair ones,' apparently glad to see the 'boys in gray.' Our band never fails to do their best. Passed through some small unimportant towns & camped within 3 1/2 miles of Charlestown (June 23). Started at daylight, passed through Charlestown making our usual display--banners flying, bands playing & arms at right shoulder shift."

The 19th Miss crossed the Potomac at Shepherdstown (June 24) and "crossed the Antietam on a stone bridge, near where the battle opened & camped within a mile of Boonsboro," Maryland. They passed through Funkstown and camped on the south side of Hagerstown on the banks of the Antietam River (June 25). "Many of the boys went out on a foraging expedition & returned well loaded. Some came back drunk, having run the blockade to town." They passed through Hagerstown, Middleburg, and camped two miles beyond Greencastle, Pennsylvania (June 26). "A very large ration of whiskey was issued this evening. Nearly all the brigade more or less inebriated & boisterous." They passed through Marion and Chambersburg and camped six miles beyond near Fayetteville, on the road from Chambersburg to Gettysburg (June 27). "The citizens look very coldly on us. Their rights are very strictly guarded. An old lady got loudly cheered for running a soldier out of her garden. He had intended to get some vegetables. A retaliation for the many thefts committed in the South is carefully guarded against, and any injury that may be done is without the sanction of the officers. Even the orchards on the wayside are well guarded. But soldiers are hard to keep under restraint. Generals Lee & Longstreet passed our column today." The 19th Miss remained near Fayetteville until July 1.

July & August

Private William Meek Furr listed as present on the Company E Muster Roll.

At the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3), the 19th Miss was assigned to Hill's Corps, Anderson's Division, Posey's Brigade. They consisted of 372 officers and men. On July 1, Anderson's Division started before sunup, ascended South Mountain as the temperature climbed, and descended its east slope to Cashtown. The head of Anderson's column halted at Cashtown and waited for further orders. The rest of Hill's Corps was engaged, and General Hill requested General Anderson to bring his division forward. When they reached Gettysburg, General Hill ordered General Anderson to deploy four of his brigades on Herr Ridge. On July 2, General Hill ordered Anderson's Division from its bivouac on Herr Ridge to relieve General Heath's battered division occupying the portion of Seminary Ridge between McMillan's Woods and Spangler's Woods. Posey's Brigade was between Wright and Mahone's brigades.

Advancing as skirmishers, elements of the 16th and 19th Miss drove the Union forces from their position in the Bliss orchard. They captured some prisoners [13 from the 1st Delaware and nine from the 12th New Jersey] near the Bliss barn. They killed or wounded 13 members of the 106th Pennsylvania and 42 members of the 12th New Jersey. The 12th New Jersey, although being killed and wounded at an alarming rate, succeeded in retaking the Bliss barn. They forced the 16th and 19th Miss skirmishers to seek shelter in the Bliss house. "Mustering their courage once again, the men from New Jersey ran the gauntlet from the barn and stormed the house." They captured 40 Confederates, mostly from the 16th Miss but including some members of the 19th Miss. The remaining confederate skirmishers retreated to the Bliss orchard and, after the 12th New Jersey returned to their lines, reoccupied the Bliss barn. The Bliss barn and house continued to be the scene of repeated action until late in the day when they were burned. Within 60 yards of the right of the 19th Miss skirmishers was a Union battery, which was firing upon General Wright's troops. The skirmishers succeeded in driving the gunners three times from their guns, after which the Union forces changed their position to the crest of the hill in their rear. By this time, Longstreet's assault was well under way, and Anderson's Division was advancing.

In support of Longstreet's attack against the Union left, Anderson's Division was to attack the Union positions on Cemetery Ridge. Posey's Brigade was formed on Seminary Ridge south of McMillan's Woods and fronted toward the Bliss farm buildings and Cemetery Hill beyond. They faced many Union batteries on Cemetery Hill and Cemetery Ridge. General Posey received orders to advance after Wright's Brigade. Before General Wright moved out, Lieutenant Shanon of Anderson's staff brought orders for Posey to advance two of his regiments and deploy them "closely as skirmishers" instead of in line of battle. General Posey already had parts of the 16th and 19th Miss Regiments on the skirmish line at a fence about 250 yards to the front, midway to the Bliss farmyard. In response to the order, General Posey sent forward the right wing of the 19th Miss and the 48th Miss to join their comrades at the fence.

When the 48th Georgia on the left of Wright's line passed the 48th Miss, which was laying down somewhere near the Bliss farmyard and had orders not to go farther forward, the Georgians shouted, "Get up and fight" and "Come forward, Mississippians." This stirred some of the prone Mississippians; and, in spite of their colonel's orders, a good many advanced with the Georgians. As Wright prepared to sweep the two Union regiments along the road from his front, he became aware that Posey's Brigade, as a unit, was not advancing on his left. He sent word to General Anderson who said that General Posey already had been ordered forward but that he would repeat the order. Meanwhile, Wright's Brigade pressed forward.

It is not known what orders General Posey received from General Anderson or what his brigade did while Wright's and others attacked the Union positions on Cemetery Ridge. Some time after sending the 19th and 48th Miss Regiments forward, General Posey sent the 16th Miss to their aid. Then, learning of a threat to their flank, he personally led the 12th Miss forward as well. When he reached the Bliss farmyard area, the other regiments were "well up in advance," probably close to the Emmitsburg Road. They were fighting at long range with the main line of the Union 2nd Corps and were raking a Union battery, possibly Brown's, with rifle fire. Before General Posey took the 12th Miss forward, he sent a request to General Mahone, whose brigade was on his left, for a regiment to support his left. None was sent.

General Anderson's advance was in trouble. The Wilcox, Perry, and Wright's brigades had attacked as ordered. Yet Posey's Brigade had gone forward in a piecemeal manner losing its strength in skirmishing between the Bliss farmyard and the Emmitsburg Road. Driving toward the crest of Cemetery Ridge, Wright's Georgians with several of Posey's Mississippians were finally stopped by superior Union reinforcements. "Then came the dreadful part of the whole matter--a falling back across the wide, open fields with an exultant enemy thundering at our heels with every contrivance of death. The men streamed back across the fields, leaving their dead and wounded and scores of comrades as prisoners of war." Colonel Harris reported that among those lost were "some of my most valuable officers and men." After the battle, when the Southern press voiced criticism of Generals Posey and Mahone for not moving forward, General Anderson responded that if there was any blame, it was his since his brigades were acting under his orders.

With darkness coming Posey's Brigade was ordered by General Anderson to retire behind the Confederate artillery. On July 3, there was heavy skirmishing along the brigade's front, and the men were exposed to the cannonading that preceded the assault by Generals Pickett and Pettigrew. Posey's Brigade was ordered forward with their division to support this advance, but when the advance was repulsed, they were ordered back. It rained nearly all day on July 4, and Posey's Brigade was ordered to withdraw at dark. During the battle, the 19th Miss lost four killed and 23 wounded.

On July 5, Posey's Brigade camped near Waynesboro. On July 6, they marched toward Hagerstown as rear guard. "Had some trouble. Many of the men found whiskey & got drunk. An officer [Captain Gregory, Company B] of the 19th Miss was shot by a private [Wilson] of 12th Miss." They passed through Leitersburg and camped. They moved closer to Hagerstown (July 7). They remained there until July 13 when, at night and in heavy rain, they crossed the Potomac over a pontoon bridge at Falling Waters near Williamsport. "Fell in at dark & marched towards the Potomac. Another memorable night is passed. It commenced raining soon after we started, which together with what had lately fallen, put the roads in miserable plight. Mud from one to two feet deep, with a foundation at places slippery & again lined with sharp pointed rocks, made very hard on the barefooted & half shod infantry." At some point during this period, the Mississippians of Harris' Brigade learned that Vicksburg had fallen on July 4.

The 19th Miss camped near Bunker Hill, West Virginia, (July 15), south of Martinsburg, and remained until July 21. They camped two miles beyond Winchester (July 21), crossed the Shenandoah on pontoons below the junction of the two branches, and camped on a hill above Front Royal (July 22). "By some mischance, we drew a day's rations tonight. Very unusual occurrence of late." On July 23, "Started early this morning, passed through Front Royal, to the music of bands, crossed the Blue Ridge at Chester Gap & reached Flint Hill a little before noon." On July 24, they forded Cedar Run and crossed Hazel Run on a bridge. They camped three quarters of a mile from Hazel Run. On July 25, they camped near Culpepper Courthouse. "Day most oppressively hot. This march has been well conducted. Never troubled by trains [wagons with supplies], and always camping before dark. The weather has been generally extremely warm, and the men have necessarily suffered much from heat & dust. Who can as well appreciate the 'grateful shade,' 'the refreshing breeze,' or 'a cup of cold water,' as the tired, heated & thirsty soldier? For the last week our rations have been very irregular. Half our substance has been dewberries. Fortunately, there was a good crop of them this year. Heavy rain tonight . . . . Camp life seems to have lost all enjoyments. No amusement of any kind is indulged in &, everyone seems clouded with grief."

On August 1, in support of operations against Union General Buford, "Mahone's and Posey's men loaded their rifles while advancing on the double quick towards Buford. All participants were suffering from intense heat." On August 3, the 19th Miss marched through Culpepper Courthouse, took the road to Orange Courthouse, crossed Cedar & Crooked Runs, passed by Cedar Mountain, and camped on a hill side after dark. On August 4, they continued the march and camped on a high hill near Orange Courthouse. "Camp laid out with great precision, as if we would remain some time . . . . Had peas & potatoes today; scarce articles in the fare of 'Lee's Les Miserables.'" On August 12, the 19th Miss was on picket duty on the Rapidan. The troops were engaged in the routine camp activities and some furloughs were granted. August 21 was set aside by President Davis for fasting, but some of the troops were overcome by hunger and could not observe the fast. On August 23, Colonel Harris went on sick leave. On August 24, General Hill held a Divisional Review. Religious meetings were held every night.

September & October

Private William Meek Furr listed as present on the Company E Muster Roll.

On September 1, the 19th Miss remained camped near Orange Courthouse. "The country is turning its attention now from A.N.V. [Army of Northern Virginia] to Charleston & Tennessee. The Richmond [newspaper] may, for some time, have the unpleasant task of saying 'all quiet from Lee's Army.' A little period of rest for us sets them all to croaking. They seem to think we should always be in motion, if for nothing else, to afford them matter for their columns." On September 8, the 19th Miss was again on picket duty on the Rapidan. On September 11, there was a Grand Review of General Hill's Corps by General Lee. "The crowd assembled to witness our debut was very large. It was no doubt very agreeable to them, but the 'monkies,' don't feel much complimented by being turned out for a simple exhibition of their muscle & proportions." On September 13, the 19th Miss marched to Rapidan Station and camped near the railroad bridge.

During the Bristoe Station and Mine Run campaigns, the 19th Miss was assigned to Hill's 3rd Corps, Anderson's Division, Posey's Brigade. On October 8, the 19th Miss began a flanking march through Orange Courthouse toward Madison Courthouse and camped three or four miles from Liberty Mills. They camped two miles from Madison Courthouse (October 9), passed through Madison Courthouse, turned right along the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains (October 10), camped a few miles from Culpepper Courthouse (October 11), at Amissville (October 12), crossed the Rappahannock at Waterloo, and camped at Warrenton (October 13). "In passing the old Yankee camps today, many of our barefooted shod themselves by picking up old shoes." On October 14, the 19th Miss passed through Warrenton, took the Gainsville Pike, passed through New Baltimore, left the Pike at Buckland, and marched toward the railroad at Bristoe Station. In a futile attempt by General Anderson's Division to cover General Heath's flank at Bristoe Station on October 14, General Posey was wounded in the left thigh by a ball from a spherical case shot. He was brought off the field and was carried to Charlottesville. After the wounding of General Posey, Colonel Samuel Baker of the 16th Miss was the ranking officer present in the brigade and therefore assumed command. Colonel Harris, who outranked Colonel Baker, was absent on sick leave. The 19th Miss stayed near Bristoe Station until October 18 helping to destroy the rails and tracks of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad.

On October 18, the 19th Miss marched 30 miles to the Rappahannock railroad bridge and camped. On October 19, they crossed the river and camped two miles on the other side where they remained until November 8. "Went over to the band in evening to hear some vocal & instrumental music. Our band is a great institution. It always keeps its numbers undiminished, and labors with the greatest assiduity at 'tooting.' Their music, however, is never the sweetest nor most harmonious." The bands often serenaded each other. On October 26, Colonel Harris returned from sick leave and assumed command of the brigade.

November & December

Private William Meek Furr listed as sick at the hospital (accouterments lost one waist belt $2.00, one shoulder belt $2.57, one bayonet scabbard $2.57). On November 8, the 19th Miss marched all day and night by way of Brandy Station through Culpepper Courthouse, crossed the Rapidan on a pontoon bridge and took possession of their old camps. "General [sic] Harris got lost & couldn't find the R.R. Had no guide to direct us." On November 12, the 48th Miss camped at the base of Clarke's Mountain; the 16th Miss was near the mill on the Rapidan below the railroad crossing, and the 12th and 19th Miss were in support about a mile from the river. On November 13, General Posey died in Charlottsville at the home of Dr. Davis, a family friend. Private William Meek Furr's name appears on a Register of Receiving and Wayside (General) Hospital No. 9, Richmond, November 14, 1863. The diagnosis was "Febri Intermittens." He returned to duty on January 14, 1864.

Back to the Index