The town of Ashland
was incorporated on March 8, 1871, and soon became the county seat of
the newly established Benton County. The county was formed in
1870 during the reconstruction period after the Civil War. Before
the War the largest town was Salem, some ten miles away. Salem
was home of the mother of the famed Confederate General Nathan Bedford
Forrest. During the war the yankees burned Salem several times
and the town never recovered. Ashland was selected as the county
seat for it's location and to represent a new start in the area.
During the 2000 census Ashland recorded 577 residents. A special thanks
to Janet Jones for sending
these picture to us.
Ashland School 1918
Tipler's Cheap Cash Store
Located on the square in Ashland
Mrs. Casey's Boarding House
Gathering on the Court House Grounds. The writing at the
bottom reads; North end of Ashland Court House, two story bank building
in the background (west side of court square) picture taken from East
to West in 1910.