Bernard Romans Chapter
It was during the State Regency of Mrs. A. F. Fox of
Seeking a name for the Chapter, an appeal was made to Dr. Dunbar Rowland, Director of Mississippi Archives and History Department, who suggested the name of Bernard Romans. A native of Holland, he was one of the first white men to visit this area in 1771, when he and William Burtram, as surveyors, explored the area along the Tombigbee River between the present sites of Aberdeen and Columbus, then a vast forest, camping eight days at the point where the Luxapalila flows into the Tombigbee River.
Bernard Romans was called a universal genius. He was a botanist, engineer, mathematician, artist, surveyor, engraver, writer, cartographer, linguist, soldier, seaman and he possessed many other talents, any one of which would have given him distinction. He painted a beautiful miniature of his wife which is still preserved in the family.
Although he was employed to survey
by the British, during the Revolutionary War he was a staunch and loyal American and was made Captain of the Company of
American Artillery in
of all that he was and all that he stood for, the new Chapter was named for the
noted surveyor, Bernard Romans, receiving its Charter
In 1914, the Bernard Romans Chapter gave a scholarship
The first Chapter Regent was Nannie
Oliver King (Mrs. Howard); the second was Fay Naughton
Simms (Mrs. F. R.). During Mrs. Simms' term in office (1914-1917), the Bernard Romans Chapter received a deed to a plot
of land forty feet square on the exact site, between Macon and Shuqualak in
While Mrs. Allison Hardy was Regent (1924-1926), we were co-hostesses with Shuk-ho-ta Tom-a-ha for the State Conference in 1926. During this administration, markers were place on the graves of Samuel Edmonson and John Murphy, Revolutionary War Soldiers.
During Mrs. Mayfield's administration (1927-1928), a marble marker was erected on the site of the signing of the Dancing Rabbit Creek Treaty.
In 1932, while Mrs. S. T. Pilkinton, Sr. was Regent, the John Foster Society of the Children of the American Revolution (
while Mrs. S. L. Hollingsworth was Regent, Bernard Romans Chapter and the
American Legion Auxiliary erected a Memorial Gateway at the entrance of
Magnolia Bowl Football Field. The structure contains the names of all
Lowndes County Soldiers who made the Supreme Sacrifice during World War I.
Also, during this time a boulder was placed on the Campus of Mississippi State
College for Women (MSCW) during the celebration of the College's Fiftieth
Anniversary, showing it to be the first State supported college for Women in
1944-1948 while Mrs. M. D. Gilchrist was Regent, we again entertained the State
the years members of the Bernard Romans Chapter
Material for this History was collected by Mrs. S. L. Hollingsworth, Mrs. H.C. Farrow, Mrs. Nannie King and Mrs. J. W. Slaughter, Sr., for Mrs. Hollingsworth who wrote the History.
Rewritten in 1980 by Sarah Cox Husband
Web hyperlinks to non-
Click here to contact the webmaster.
Site last updated 5 September 2011.