Tishomingo County Mississippi
Known Ghost Towns
Bay Springs was located in Tishomingo County, Mississippi,
in the farthest northeast corner of Mississipi, bordering Alabama and
Tennessee. This 1880's milling community developed along the west side of
Mackey's Creek, a tributary of the Tennessee River. The water powered
gristmill and sawmill provided important materials for this community.
Built in 1854, Jacinto Courthouse once served one of the
largest counties in the
State of Mississippi, Tishomingo. Tishomingo County, named for the leading chief
of the Chickasaw tribe, comprised more that 923,000 acres until 1870 when it was
divided into the present-day counties of Alcorn, Prentiss and Tishomingo.
Now quite a peaceful location, it its day, Jacinto was a busy stagecoach stop, and
had many bars and taverns. The courthouse cost almost $7,200 to build in 1854.
The wooden Judge's bench was painted to resemble marble.
If you have information about this,
or other Ghost Towns in any Mississippi County.
Click map for larger image
Copyright 2003 ~ All Rights Reserved.
Content may not be reproduced without written permission.