| Issaquena County was established December
23d, 1844. Among the first settlers were Thomas G. Parks, Andrew and Thomas
J. Turnbull, Zenas Preston, Robert M. Smith, James L. Mayfield. The Andersons,
whose descendants are now prominent citizens of the county -- one of whom,
Frank Anderson, who was for years, sheriff of the county, and W.S. Anderson,
a Representative in the State Senate; William G. Mayers, Col. W.T. Bernard,
, the families of Shelby, Hill and Sellars, Mike Everhardt, Thomas Kershaw,
Robinson, James M. Clarke, father of the late Hon. E. D. Clark, Assistant
Secretary of the Interior during President Cleveland's administration,
H.R.W. Hill, who was the owner of a large estate in the county ; James
P. Grambling, John L. Chapman, Dohertys, Mordecai Powell, Wm. Wallis, Thomas
Erwing, Judge Thomas W. Hays, Zach Leatherman, Nelsons, Sampson Williams,
W.S. Gibbons, Wilson Spencer, Col. Gibson, father in law of Benjamin Hardaway,
of Vicksburg; William McQuilling, and Capt. Joel O. Stevens, who has long
been engaged in the steamboat business on the Sunflower and Yazoo rivers.
The towns in the county are: Meyersville, the county site, named for
David Meyer, a large cotton planter of that county now residing in Vicksburg;
Skipwith, Ingomar, Tallulah and Alexander.
The streams are Steele's Bayou with the Mississippi River forming the
western and Deer Creek the eastern boundary of the county, with numerous
lakes among which are Moon, Lafayette and Five-Mile lakes.
The Louisville, New Orleans and Texas Railroad traverses the northeastern
corner of the county.
Issaquena has 54,869 acres of cleared land, average value per acre,
$14.24, total value including incorporated towns $809,819.
The population of this county, as shown by the census report of 1890:
Whites, 692; colored, 11,623; total, 12, 252.
Lowry, Robert and William H. McCardle. A History of Mississippi
from the Discovery of the Great River by Hernando Desoto including the
Earliest Settlement Made by the French Under Iberville to the Death of
Jefferson Davis, R.H. Henry and Co., Jackson, Mississippi, 1891. page