A special thanks to James Newman for submitting
these archival family photographs of Issaquena County.
Click Thumbnail Image for Full Size Image and Additional Information
The Lockwood Plantation Home was owned by James P. Heath
A Mississippi River Steamboat docked in Issaquena County
A tent city erected for the citizens of Issaquena County during the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927
The Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927. Pictured are two employees of the Heath Family removing chickens from a flooded area
An Issaquena County plantation scene. Pictured is Tom Stewart, plantation manager and an unidentified farm worker
A view behind Lockwood Plantation home. Lockwood Plantation was owned by the Heath family of Issaquena County
An Issaquena County Hunting Party at Deer Range Plantation. John Wade Heath II is on the pony
The main house on Deer Range Plantation
The Heath Family: Standing (left to right) are Nona Hull Heath, wife of Dr. T.A. Heath; John Wade Heath I and Maggie Heath
"The Grader" Issaquena County, Mississippi
Resident in a supplies boat during the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 in Issaquena County
The Railroad Section Foreman's House (built ca. 1875), located at Valley Park, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The old Issaquena County Courthouse in Mayersville. The photograph was taken during the 1930s
 Mary M. Stewart. wife of Colonel John Heath. She was the daughter of Thomas Stewart, a planter of Copiah County
Old Issaquena County Jail House. The photograph was taken during the early 1930s
Josephus C. Newman was a state representative from Issaquena County for seventeen years. During 1917, he and his wife, Minnie Bell Prine Newman, moved from Copiah County to the railroad section house at Valley Park in Issaquena County
Minnie Bell Prine Newman, wife of Josephus C. Newman of Valley Park
Dr. T.A. Heath (born 14 July 1854) was the second child born to the union of John and Mary (Stewart) Heath of Issaquena county
Nona Hull Heath of Claiborne county and wife of Dr. T. A Heath, was the  youngest daughter of Capt. P.C. Hull, a planter of that county
John Heath I was born 27 November 1822 in Rodney, Jefferson County, Miss., and was the son of James Adolphus and Julia Ann (Roberts) Meyer Heath (born 15 October 1779 in Pennsylvania). During 1859 he came to Issaquena County
James Person Heath was born in 1858, the son of John and Mary Stewart Heath.. He received his early education in Clinton, Hinds county, Miss., and during 1890 he married Miss Lurena Smith, sister of Robert Smith, and daughter of R.M. and Margaret Smith
Children of John Wade Heath: John W. Heath II (standing) with sisters Mary (left seated) and Lucille (right seated) Heath
The John Wade Heath II family on a summer leisure buggy ride during the 1890s in Issaquena County
Lurena Smith Heath with her children on Lockwood Plantation in Issaquena County
Hyman Kestenbaum and wife, Fannie. Hyman Kestenbaum was a store merchant and farmer in Issaquena County
James Adolphus Heath was born 27 March 1771. He married Julia Ann (Roberts) Meyer (born 15 October 1779) He came to Mississippi during the early 1800s and was the patriarch of the Issaquena Heath family
Deer Range Plantation Cotton Gin in Issaquena County
The Old Bell at the Issaquena County Courthouse in Mayersville. The photograph was taken during the 1940s
A Tenant House on Deer Range Plantation
The photograph was taken during the 1940s
The Bridge Across Steele's Bayou near Deer Range Plantation. The photograph was taken during the 1940s
Deer Range Planation sheep field with levee in the background
W.T. Stewart Home in Issaquena County
Harvesting Clover Seed on Deer Range Plantation during 1941
Horse and Buggy at Lockwood Plantation, owned by Colonel John Heath
Louis and Grace Kestenbaum,children of Hyman Kestenbaum on Hyman's farm not to far from the Kestenbaum store in Fitler
Mrs Ray Lum on a visit to the Delta is shown on a burro at Lockwood plantation in Issaquena County
Workers on Lockwood Plantation cleaning a deer
Grace Kestenbaum in front of Hyman Kestenbaum's house at Fitler
The Heath home in Port Gibson, Mississippi was built during the 1840s. The home belonged to Adolphus Heath, the patriarch of the Issaquena County Heath family
A young child on the grounds of Lockwood Plantation in Issaquena County
Chickens on the grounds of the main house on Deer Range Plantation
Frank Stewart(brother of T.W. Stewart), T.W. Stewart(cousin Tom), and T.W. Stewart's son Wallace Stewart. This photograph was taken at T.W. Stewart's home not far from Five Mile Lake where the fish were caught

Back to the Issaquena Genealogy and History Project

Entire Contents Copyright © 2003, 2004 Bob Franks.
THE ISSAQUENA GENEALOGY AND HISTORY PROJECT
Some of the photographs on this page are courtesy of the Library of
Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
Submitted material is the property of the submitter.