Paulding was settled in 1833 and was named for John Paulding, a local citizen of Revolutionary War fame. He aided in the capture of the British spy, Major Andre, the British Adjutant who conspired with Benedict Arnol in the betrayal of West Point, New York.
Paulding was a thriving and important center prior to the Civil War and was known as "The Queen City of the East". It once had a population of over one thousand, and during the ante-bellum period, it was a metropolis. Its main street was flanked by stores and its homes were white framed mansions. Court day was a spectacle with most other activities being suspended for the proceedings.
Reconstruction devasted Paulding and the scars ran deep. When the States were called on to vote on the Thirteenth Amendment, the Paulding delegation held out staunchly against its ratification. Parltly because of this firm stand, Mississippi never ratified the Constitutional Admendment freeing the slaves.
Soon after reconstruction, a railroad was to be built through Paulding. The County refused to pay for it and the citizens could afford to pay for it, so Paulding was dealt a death blow, from which it never recovered, as the railroad was built through Bay Springs instead.
The old courthouse was built out of local materials, including clay which was dug up and baked nearby. It burned in 1932 with the loss of all records. People could bring records of deeds and other documents in for filing, so it is not uncommon to find a document dated after 1932 which refers to a transaction that took place much earlier.
A Hand Drawn Map of Jasper Places
An 1833 map of Mississippi
A History of Jasper County
A History of Bay Springs
A History of Other Places in Jasper County
A History of the Jasper Grays