Magnolia State Chapter History
According to The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896-1996, page 362,
The Magnolia State chapter was named for the State Flower. The “magnolia grandiflora” is a beautiful, native evergreen tree of noble proportions, growing to one hundred feet. Often seen growing wild along Mississippi highways, it is a spectacular sight with its large, creamy-white, fragrant flowers and beautiful foliage.
Several charter members of the chapter also remember that this name was chosen because Mississippi is known as “The Magnolia State”.
Makeup of Chapter
Originally, most of the chapter members were working women who could only meet on the weekends. While that is no longer always the case, a great number of our members are either working women or retired from full-time jobs.