Macel was located on the banks of Tippo Bayou seven miles east of Charleston.
Macel was named for Macel Willingham She was the daughter of the man who
owned the land when the town was built. Prior to the arrival of the railroad
Macel was an isolated section consisting of heavily timbered land. The
railroad opened avenues of business when the timber was cut and shipped.
After the timber was cut and sold the settlers turned the farming as
additional acreage was opened for cultivation.The Government first surveyed
the land for the township in 1841. Land sales were made in 1853 until 1856.
The first settlers to purchase land were, E.S. Watson, Nelson Evans, O.M.
Coswick, Henry Thomas and C. Ledbetter.
This Cemetery Indexed by Nick Denley of Charleston Mississippi-October 1997.
It is 100% Indexed.