Below is info sent to us recently about this cemetery
March 6, 2008
Researchers: Fredna Pearson and Janet Pearson Johns
Strider-Macel Cemetery 14.4 miles South on Tippo Rd. from Hwy 32 (@ Cowart, MS) 3.9 miles North on Tippo Rd from Hwy 8 (just east of Phillip, MS)
No GPS coordinates taken today.
All stones found were cleaned with a bleach solution and photographed with the exception of the Stubbs stone. Stones found:
∑ Margaret D. Walton, b. Jan 15 (no year inscribed on stone), d. Mar 27, 1901. Footstone lying at foot of headstone.*
∑ John Wesley Tyson, b. 1884, d. 1955*
∑ N. P. Stark, b April 12, 1842, d. August 7, 1911 (Janetís paternal great great grandfather)
∑ J. B. Stark, Son of J. C. & S. L. Stark, b. Dec. 22, 1859, d. June 2, 1880
∑ C. R. Patterson, b. April 18, 1831, d. Oct. 15, 1891
∑ Walter (?) Stubbs, b. 1873, d. 1941
∑ John K. Carr, b. August 10, 1880, d. November 11, 1942 This grave has several headstones lining the grave with fresh gumbo soil in the center. It was impossible to read any inscription as the stones are mostly buried. I assume the stones lining the grave are markers of other graves in this cemetery. *Not listed previously
There were a few stone fragments scattered over the cemetery but no large stones to mate them with were found.
Plan of action: Return for further investigation of John K. Carr grave after proper
authorities are notified. Dusty wants to clear debris and spray for weeds. Repeat
photographing of tombstones already indexed for improved photograph quality.
Macel was located on the banks of Tippo Bayou seven miles East of Charleston.
Macel was named for Macel Willingham She was the daughter of the man who
owned the land when the town was built. Prior to the arrival of the
railroad Macel was an isolated section consisting of heavily timbered
land. The railroad opened avenues of business when the timber was cut
and shipped. After the timber was cut and sold the settlers turned the
farming as additional acreage was opened for cultivation.
The Government first surveyed the land for the township in 1841.
Land sales were made in 1853 until 1856. The first settlers to purchase
land were, E.S. Watson, Nelson Evans, O.M. Coswick, Henry Thomas and,
Indexed by Nick Denley November 1997, Clerk of Chancery Court
Tallahatchie County Mississippi.
Garr, John R./08-10-1886/11-11-1942
Stark, J.B./Son of J.C.& S.L./12-22-1859/06-02-1880
Updater: This page was last updated Saturday, 02-Feb-2013 12:23:08 MST
Remember Them Ever with a Grateful Heart
© Copyright 1998-2008 by Helen Arnold & Lela Evans. All rights reserved. This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without our consent. Information from this site may be freely used by individuals doing private, family research.