Located six miles Southwest of Macel. Philipp is situated in the neck
of the bend on the South side of the Tallahatchie River. It is only two
miles across the neck to the river again. In this bend is a large acreage
of land. J.L. Townes bought and developed five plantations; Beulah, Moss,
Palo, Alto, The Bend and Omega.
In the late 1880's representatives of the Schlitz Brewing Company of
Milwaukee Wisconsin were in search of fine long staves for building
casks that were to be shipped to France. They found the wood they needed
in the forest where Philipp now stands. They organized the Delta
Cooperage Co., put in mills and laid the first railroad as a logging
road in the woods near there in 1888. The Railroad was built through
there in 1888-1890. The site was made a station and the Wisconsin
people named it for their Governor.
Indexed by Nick Denley, Clerk of Chancery Court Tallahatchie County