This court house was built in 1928. The previous courthouse was built 1870, it was torn down and some of the materials and the foundation were used in the present building. It is located in the center of the square in Ripley.
This is the old courthouse, built in 1870.
The original courthouse was destroyed by fire during the Civil War.
Originally located in the middle of the street on the southwest corner of courthouse square, this statue was relocated in the 1970's due to several mishaps with automobiles. It is now located near the courthouse entrance on the east side. The inscription reads:
In memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Tippah County,
our heroic dead and chivalrous living who wore the Gray,
Tippah County MSGENWEB Coordinator
© 2004-2006, by Melissa McCoy-Bell. All rights reserved.