Downtown Dumas looking south...on the right is the Methodist Church...
Looks like Sunday after services.
a special thanks goes to Nick Hughey for providing this picture.
Dumas was established in 1840,and named after Jackson Deberry Dumas, one of Tippah County's first settlers. Mr. Dumas owned and operated the first post office in Dumas.
The town is located at the crossroads of MS
370, the Nathan Bedford Forrest Memorial Highway, and a paved county
This is the route that the Yankees took trying to catch General Nathan
Bedford Forrest during the Civil War at the time of the Battle at
Brice's Crossroads. Sturgis and his men made themselves at home
Dumas staying at Stubbs Plantation while they waited on Forrest and his
The Stubb's Plantation house was reported to quite grand, with two and a half stories. The top floor had a banquet hall most often used for weddings and social gatherings. The town once sported quite a few Victorian Style homes, a school, a doctors office, post office and quite a few stores. Today, all that remains is a small community with a couple of stores and a restaurant.
This picture was copied from an old tin-type and restored. If you have any information on this establishment please send it in.
© 2002-2006, by Melissa McCoy-Bell. All rights reserved.