Falkner City Hall
The creation of the village of Falkner is directly linked to
railroad in Tippah County. Col. W. C. Falkner was
of Ripley Railroad Company. The railroad ran it's
on August 29, 1872, from Middleton, TN to Ripley, MS. The
only depot was located where the town of Falkner is today, and
Falkner Station. Gradually, a community was formed in this
a result of the railroad station. The town originally
in 1892, however, the alderman of the town later had the
abolished to avoid paying for their share of the construction
15. The community didn't incorporate again until
Today, it remains a small community with a school and a few
Falkner is located 8 miles North of Ripley on Highway 15, on one
highest areas in the state at 460 feet above sea level.
On the left is M. L. Jamieson General Merchandise Store, on the right is the cotton gin to the left of that was J. T. Gay's Store. The post office was located in the side of the J.T. Gay building. None of the buildings pictured here are still standing they were all torn down and burned in 1977, shortly after this picture was taken.
1940's Map of Downtown Falkner
Mt. Zion Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Facts recorded in the above article came from Tippah County Heritage, Vol. 1 and personal knowlege. If you have additional information, personal memories or pictures to contribute concerning the history of Falkner, please send them in.
Tippah County MSGENWEB Coordinator
© 2004-2012, by Melissa McCoy-Bell. All rights reserved.