Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 
 
  • Alberson (historical) (Myrtle)
  • Alpine (Ellistown) a post hamlet in the eastern part of Union county, about 12 miles east of New Albany, the county seat and nearest railroad and banking town.  Population in 1900, 24.
  • Alpine Post Office (historical) (Ellistown) - Established Oct. 31, 1889 and discontinued June 24, 1904.
  • Avanelle Post Office - established Nov. 16, 1893.  Discontinued May 31, 1905 with Myrtle distributing its mail.  A post-hamlet in the northwestern part of Union county, on Locks Creek, an affluent of the Tallahatchie river, and about six miles from New Albany, the county seat.  Population in 1900, 20.
  • Baker (Keownville)
  • Baker Post Office - established May 23, 1882 and closed Jan. 31, 1907. Five miles east of New Albany.
  • Bald Hill (New Albany West)
  • Bart Hill (Ellistown)
  • Beacon Hill (New Albany E)
  • Beulah (historical) (Myrtle)
  • Beulah Post Office - this post office was in Tippah County up until 1874 when it became a part of Union County's Postal records.  The name of this office was changed to Myrtle in 1888. 
  • Bighams Mill (historical) (New Albany W)
  • Blue Springs (Ellistown)
  • Blue Springs Post Office - established July 20, 1887 and still in operation.
  • Branyan (Ellistown)
  • Briar Mountain (New Albany E)
  • Buncombe (historical) (New Albany E) settled around 1845
  • Buncombe Post Office - First listed as being in Union County on June 8, 1871.  It probably had existed prior to this in Pontotoc County and, upon a change in postmasters, made its appearance in the records as 'now in Union County."  It was discontinued on Jan. 25, 1884.
  • Busby Post Office - established Sept. 1, 1893.  Closed March 15, 1908.  Etta then distributed its mail.
  • Claysville Post Office - Established June 9, 1871, changing its name to "Molino" in November of 1875.  Discontinued Nov. 30, 1909.
  • Camp Armstrong (New Albany E)
  • Center (New Albany E) - In 1844, immigrants consisting largely of Scotch, Irish, and English people came to the Hopewell Community, and later expanded into what is known as Center Community today. 
  • Collins (historical) (Myrtle)
  • Concord (Keownville)
  • Concord (historical) (Etta)
  • Darden (Hickory Flat)
  • Darden Post Office (historical) (Hickory Flat) - established Sept. 19, 1891 and discontinued May 31, 1905.  When Darden closed, Myrtle distributed its mail.
  • Davis Hill (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Dayton Post Office - established March 28, 1881 and discontinued Dec. 18, 1882.
  • Ellistown (Ellistown) settled around 1844. Named for the Ellis family. 
  • Ellistown Post Office (historical) Ellistown) - the post office at Ellistown was in Pontotoc County when it was first established.  In 1866 Lee County came into being and Ellistown then was in Lee County.  In 1870 Ellistown was brought into Union County.  When the office at Ellistown was finally closed in 1905 the mail for the community was sent to Blue Springs for distribution.
  • Enterprise (Etta)
  • Etta (Ellistown)
  • Etta Post Office - established Feb. 23, 1887 and still in operation. 
  • Fairfield (Ellistown)
  • Fairfield Post Office - established June 1, 1882 and discontinued Dec. 28, 1887 with Ellistown distributing its mail.
  • Fairview (New Albany W) settled around 1840.
  • Fairview Post Office (historical) (New Albany E) established March 30, 1843.  Was then discontinued and reactivated in 1878 after the formation of Union County.  Discontinued Aug. 31, 1903 with the mail distributed from New Albany.
  • Flatwood (Etta)
  • Fredonia Post Office - Fredonia was the original name for the community of Ingomar, with the name being officially changed by the post office in 1887.
  • Gale (historical) (Keownville)
  • Gallway (Etta)
  • Gallway Post Office - established Jun 30, 1890 and discontinued May 31, 1905.
  • Gaston Post Office - established Dec. 28, 1896 and closed Nov. 30, 1903.
  • Gibsonville (historical) (New Albany E)
  • Glenfield (Myrtle) - three miles west of New Albany, by way of a winding dusty or often muddy country road, a little cluster of homes and businesses were gradually built during the Nineteenth Century.  This became a small village called Glenwood.  It developed chiefly along what is now Glenfield Road and Fairgrounds Circle. 
  • Glenfield Post Office (historical) (Myrtle) May 28, 1902 - May 15, 1917.
  • Glenwood - the original little village first known as Glenwood became Glenfield when a post office permit was applied for and it was discovered there was another place by the same name in Mississippi. 
  • Golding Post Office - Opened Dec. 21, 1882 and discontinued Oct. 13, 1887.  Named after Anthony F. Golding, its one and only postmaster.
  • Graham (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Graham Post Office - William M. Graham, for whom the office was named, was the first postmaster.   Opened on March 6, 1882 and discontinued Dec. 31, 1909.
  • Grubb Hill (New Albany E)
  • Halltown (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Ingomar (New Albany W) Originally named Fredonia, probably settled circa 1840-1850. 
  • Ingomar Post Office (historical) (New Albany W) - originally named "Fredonia" but the name was changed to Ingomar in 1887; discontinued May 4, 1956.
  • Jericho (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Keownville (Keownville)
  • Keownville Post Office - Originally named Locust Grove.  Discontinued Jan. 31, 1907.  The mail was thereafter distributed from Cotton Plant.
  • Lenox (historical) (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Lenox Post Office - established March 29, 1881 and discontinued Nov. 14, 1903 with Bethany distributing its mail.
  • Libra Post Office - opening on Feb. 18, 1902, Libra closed less than three years later on Nov. 25, 1904 with mail distribution taken over by Blue Springs.
  • Locum (Pleasant Ridge) 
  • Locum Post Office -  a hamlet of Union County --established May 27, 1903. Closed May 31, 1905 with mail for the area going to Dumas.
  • Locust Grove (Keownville)
  • Locust Grove Post Office - Established March 2, 1876.  Name changed to Keownville in 1878.
  • Long Post Office - established Aug. 7, 1893.  Closed Dec. 31, 1903.
  • Luke Hill (New Albany E)
  • Macedonia (Hickory Flat)
  • Maple Post Office - opened March 27, 1901 and closed March 31, 1904 with Hickory Flat distributing its mail.
  • Martintown (New Albany W)
  • Mitchell (New Albany W)
  • Molino (Keownville)
  • Molino Post Office (historical) (Keownville) - changed from "Claysville" to Molino in 1875.  The office was discontinued Nov. 30, 1909.  Upon closure, Molino's mail was distributed from New Albany.
  • Mound City (New Albany E)
  • Myrtle (Myrtle) - incorporated in 1890.  The first Myrtle was an early settlement several miles south of the present town in what was then Pontotoc County.  After the Civil War it became a post town called Myrtle because of the number of myrtle trees that grew there.  In 1866 the Kansas City, Memphis and Birmingham Railroad was built through the country several miles north of Myrtle.  Businesses moved from Myrtle to the railroad and took the name with them and the old settlement took the name of Avanell, a community of about twenty inhabitants, with a Post Office and a general store.  After rural mail delivery was begun out of the Myrtle Post Office, the Avanell office was closed and the community became known as "Old Myrtle."  As part of the recovery program of the depression a new highway was built south of the town and the town has 'moved' again as new businesses were opened on the highway. 
  • Myrtle Post Office - Originally named "Beulah" and still in operation.
  • New Albany (New Albany W) - The first recorded sale in the town was on November 3, 1840 when W. M. Duncan purchased fourteen lots for $150.00.   In 1840, New Albany was a voting precinct of Pontotoc County with 230 qualified voters.  The early government of New Albany was formed in 1888 and New Albany was granted its charter as a town in 1892. 
  • New Albany Post Office - located in Pontotoc County in circa 1840-42 until 1870 when Union County was formed.  During this era of Mississippi's development the federal government almost invariably established a post office shortly after a community was formed.  All the government needed was a formal request.  The fact that the first post office was established at New Albany in 1842 probably means that the village was first settled just a few years prior to that date. 
  • New Harmony (New Albany E) This area was first known as Molino with two stores, a post office, a drugstore, and a public well  which was their center point of the community, which the Yankees burned down to the James Ticer house located in front of the present Hines Brothers Grocery.  W. A. Robertson built a store up the river near the Noel Hill place around 1880 and upon the request of Mr. Robertson the government gave his place the name of "Molino" and gave the name of "Keownville" to the post office and the area in honor of G. W. Keown, appointing him as postmaster.  Mr. Robertson moved to Blue Springs later and Molino faded away, but Keownville is still here and covering this area. 
  • New Harmony School (historical) (New Albany E)
  • North Haven (Keownville)
  • Oco (historical) (Hickory Flat)
  • Old Myrtle (Myrtle)
  • Orienta Post Office - established July 16, 1890 and discontinued June 23, 1892.
  • Owen (historical) (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Parks (New Albany E)
  • Parks Post Office - established Sept. 16, 1893; discontinued April 14, 1904 with New Albany distributing its mail.
  • Pea Ridge (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Peck (historical) (New Albany W)
  • Phyfer Post Office - existed only five months; from April 27, 1901 to Sept. 27, 1901.  THe mail for this community went to New Albany for distribution.
  • Pinedale (Etta)
  • Pleasant Hill (Keownville)
  • Pleasant Ridge (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Plentitude (historical) (New Albany E)
  • Poolville (New Albany E)
  • Poolville Post Office - originally named "Rutherford".  Discontinued May 31, 1905.
  • Poplar Springs - Post Office - first established in 1846 while in Pontotoc County, close to the Union County line.  In 1880 the office moved into Union County.  Discontinued Oct. 31, 1904 with mail being distributed from Blue Springs.
  • Pumpkin Center (Myrtle)
  • Rakestraw Mountain (New Albany E)
  • Reese (New Albany E)
  • Rockpile Hill (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Rockwall Post Office (historical) (Pleasant Ridge) - established Dec. 7, 1897 and discontinued March 31, 1905.
  • Rockwell (historical) (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Rocky Ford (historical) (Etta) The post office of Rocky Ford was established in Pontotoc County in 1844 and was discontinued in 1872.  The office of Etta was established in the area in 1887, fifteen years later.  Nothing in the official record indicates that Etta is a later name for Rocky Ford, although it probably is.  Rocky Ford was simply discontinued and Etta was established 15 years later in the same area.
  • Rutherford Post Office - established Feb. 13, 1890.  Name changed to "Poolville" in 1890.
  • Sage Post Office - moved into Union County from Pontotoc County on March 18, 1904 with a change of postmasters which necessitated moving the office from a store in Pontotoc County to one in Union.  Discontinued Dec. 3, 904.
  • Sapling Mountain (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Shady Grove Community - also known as Lone Star is located about five miles outside of Ingomar.  It is in Union and Pontotoc County. 
  • Shari (Myrtle)
  • Smalco (Myrtle)
  • Speck Post Office - established on April 21, 1902 and closing Dec. 31, 1903  The mail then went to nearby Blue Springs.
  • Sweden Hill (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Tandyville Post Office - entered into the records as being in Union County (formerly Pontotoc County) on Dec. 16, 1870.  Discontinued March 25, 1872.
  • Turkland (historical) (Hickory Flat)
  • Union Hill (New Albany E)
  • Wallerville (New Albany E) settled around 1850
  • Wallerville Post Office (historical) (New Albany E)- Union County listings for Wallerville began July 16, 1873.  The office was finally discontinued Dec. 31, 1953.
  • Wilhite Post Office - opened on Oct. 1, 1901 and closed March 14, 1903 with the mail going to Keownville for distribution.
Union County Cemeteries
  • Adair Cemetery (New Albany E)
  • Amaziah (Hickory Flat)
  • Ayers (Myrtle)
  • Baker (New Albany E)
  • Baker (New Albany W)
  • Baker (Keownville)
  • Barnett (Hickory Flat)
  • Bartlett (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Bell (New Albany E)
  • Bethel (Etta)
  • Bethlehem (Myrtle)
  • Beulah (Myrtle)
  • Blue Springs (New Albany E) 
  • Candy Hill (Hickory Flat)
  • Carr (New Albany E)
  • Center (New Albany E)
  • Coleman (New Albany E)
  • Concord (Keownville)
  • Damascus (New Albany W) Located in Alpine
  • Davis Family (Myrtle)
  • Doxey Family (New Albany E)
  • Duncan (Keownville)
  • Dunlap (New Albany E) (Center Community)
  • Ebenezer (Hickory Flat)
  • Ellistown (Ellistown)
  • Fairfield (Ellistown)
  • Folsom (Etta)
  • Friendship (Etta)
  • Gerzium (New Albany E)
  • Gibsonville (New Albany E)
  • Givens 
  • Glenfield (Myrtle)
  • Glenfield Memorial Cemetery, Inc. (New Albany)
  • Hall (Keownville)
  • Henry (New Albany E)
  • Hopewell (New Albany E)
  • Hoyle (New Albany E)
  • Ingomar (New Albany W)
  • Jones Memorial (Ellistown)
  • Lebanon (New Albany E)
  • Liberty (New Albany E)
  • Locust Grove (Keownville)
  • Macedonia (Hickory Flat)
  • Martin (New Albany E)
  • McAllister (Myrtle)
  • McGraw 
  • McWhorter (Ellistown)
  • Miears (New Albany E)
  • Milsaps (New Albany E)
  • Mount Gilead (New Albany E)
  • Mount Olivet (Keownville)
  • Mount Psigah 
  • Mount Zion (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Myrtle (Myrtle)
  • New Albany (New Albany W)
  • New Harmony (New Albany E)
  • New Hope (Ellistown)
  • New Oak Grove (Hickory Flat)
  • Oak Plain (New Albany E)
  • Old Fredonia (New Albany W)
  • Old Oak Grove (Hickory Flat)
  • Old Zion Hill 
  • Oliver (New Albany E)
  • Parks 
  • Pass (Etta)
  • Pine Pole 
  • Pisgah (Etta)
  • Pleasant Grove (New Albany W)
  • Pleasant Hill (Keownville)
  • Pleasant Ridge (Pleasant Ridge)
  • Red Hill (Ellistown)
  • Roach (Keownville)
  • Salem (Etta)
  • Snider (New Albany E)
  • Stack (New Albany E)
  • Stone (New Albany E)
  • Thompson (Ellistown)
  • Union Hill Methodist Cemetery (New Albany W)
  • Vista Memorial Park (New Albany W)
  • Wallerville Baptist Church 
  • Wells Chapel (Keownville)
  • Wiley (New Albany E)
  • Wilkins (New Albany E)
  • Zion Hill (Myrtle)
  • Zion Hill (Pleasant Ridge)


Return to Union County Page

Melissa McCoy-Bell
Union County MSGenWeb Coordinator

© 2002,  by Melissa McCoy-Bell.  All rights reserved.