JEFFERSON COUNTY TOWNS A-L


Many of these towns no longer exist or do not have a post office and some of them are now in Broadwater County. An * following the name indicates that this town still exists in Jefferson County.

BASIN CITY *

page 661 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: BASSETT; HOPKINS; CALVIN; MURRAY; JACKSON; LAWSON; ALLPORT

Basin City, the rival of the town of Cataract, was founded by Lawson & Allport, in 1880, at the mouth of Basin creek, a tributary of Boulder River. Among the mines of the district are the Mantle, Boulder, Custer, Independence, Martin Maginnis, Rock of Ages, Nabob, Boston, Big Medicine, Susie Brown, Mohawk, Mount Thompson, Captain, Cook, Mountain Chief, Custer, Saginaw, Katie,
Silver Butte, Union, Clipp, Highland, Gib, and others.

Basin City was once a camp of enterprise, and had its full share in contributing to the building up of the Territory. Owing to new and more easily worked mines being discovered, Basin was left over, as it were, for the era, of new development, new machinery and increased production. That it will eclipse its olden greatness is only a matter of a short time. The business circle is made up as follows: Thomas Bassett and Truman Hopkins, liquors; Amos Calvin, hotel; T. F. Murray, general merchant; D. D. Jackson, postmaster.

The gold and silver ore mills at this mining point are worked.

BEAVER CREEK

page 652 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: BROOKS; CRAHN; MARKS; HANLAY; REYNOLDS; TUCKES; MCPHERSON; SHOFFS; RIDGEWAY; KELLY; ROBINSON

Beaver Creek is the name given to the center of this great stock range. The hamlet is 18 miles southeast of Helena, at the point where the water of the creek is diverted into the two French Bar ditches. The name Beavertown is also applied to this settlement, and under this name the census enumerator credited the place with a population of 14 in 1880. The discovery of lodes at this point and in the Park during the years 1878-9, added to the advances made in mining, will doubtless lead to the development of this district. The commercial ommunity is made up as follows: M. M. Brooks, carpenter; Crahn & Marks, sawmill; Hanlay Bros., sawmill; C. Reynolds, hotel; Tuckes & McPherson, hotel; J. W. Shoffs, meat market; W. H. Ridgeway, blacksmith; John Robinson, wagonmaker, and J. N. Kelly, postmaster.

BOULDER VILLAGE *

page 649 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: WALLS; CASE; BERKINS; STEVENS; HEATON; HEALY; JEFFRIES; MURRAY; DOUGHERTY; REINS; DEACY; SMITH; COOK; FARNHAM; DAVIS; WAVE; THOMPSON; DORSETT; KELLY; WHITE;
ROHRBACKER; DOUGLASS; MILLS; BAILEY; RILEY; HOLT.

Boulder Town Company was incorporated February 8, 1865, almost three years after the first settlement, with N. Walls, president, G. W. Case, secretary; W. Berkins, Treasurer; H. Stevens, R. Heaton, and J. J. Healy, trustees. The boundaries of the town were: "Commencing at the north side of boulder crossing, on the Gillett road, thence north one half mile, thence west one mile, thence south one half mile, thence est one mile to the place of beginning, containing three hundred and twenty acres." The stampede from Gold creek to the Boulder, which took place July 20, 1862, was the origin of the village. The vicissitudes of the
village are known to every old resident of the territory. Until the revival of mining the old town was almost forgotten, but with the new industrial ear it has sprung once more into active life, and with so much earnestness, that she won from the rival towns the County Seat. The population of the village and vicinity in 1880 was 215. In July, 1883, the number of inhabitants in the town was about 150. The business circle of the town in 1883 comprised the following named citizens: R. W. Jefferies, T. F. Murray, Edward Dougherty, William Reins, Williams Deacy, J. G. Smith, V. A. Cook, F. Farnham, proprietor of the Boulder City Hotel. Boulder is the dinner station for three stage divisions; one from Butte, one from Helena, and one from Dillon. In 1884-5 general stores were kept for V. A. Cook, J. E. Dougherty, R. W. Jeffries and T. F. Murray; hotel by F. Farnham, saloons by W. Deacy and J. G. Smith, livery by W, D, Northrup, blacksmith shop by W. Reins, and meat market by Murray & Davis.

The Australian, Belle of Boulder, Amazon, Wall Street, Ollie, Chillicothe, Emmett and Spencer lodes are all in this district.

The Amazon concentrating works, two miles from the Amazon, were erected in 1883 by Jacob Wave, the mill-builder. Henry Thompson was granted $2,500 by the Legislature January 11, 1865, for the pursuit of G. Kelly, the murderer of R. R. Dorsett and John White on the Boulder. Boulder Star Lodge, No.3, I. O. G. T., was organized February 18, 1869.

The present number of members is fifty-one, including the following named officers of the lodge: G. W. Rohrbacker, Elmer Douglass, T. B. Mills, J. A. Bailey, G. A. Douglass, S. A. Riley, V. A. Cook, J. R. Holt and J. M. D. Holt.

From Boulder City excellent roads diverge in every direction, east to Elkhorn, southeast to Gallatin City, south to Dillon, west to Butte City, northwest to Comet and Wickes, and north to Jefferson and Helena, the several distances being: to Elkhorn, 15 miles; Gallatin, 40 miles; Butte city, 35 miles; Comet, 6 miles, Wickes, 9 miles; Jefferson, 12 miles; Helena, 32 miles. South of Boulder City two and a half miles are the famous Boulder Hot Springs, a favorite resort for invalids, the waters of which are held on high authority to be a specific in cases of rheumatic an scrofulous diseases and highly beneficial in nearly all chronic complaints. A large hotel building was completed at the springs in 1883.

CATARACT

page 652 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: STUART; ANDERSON; MCIRWIN; THOMPSON; HAUSER; BROWN; HATHAWAY; LAWSON; ALLPORT; SMITH

In June, 1862, a month after the discovery of the Bannack placer mines, the Old Bar near the mouth of Cataract creek was discovered. The prospectors worked the Old Bar until their provisions were exhausted, when they fled to Bannack. Subsequently this claim passed into the hands of the Stuarts and Reece Anderson, who erected their houses at the mouth of the creek, and resided there with their families while working the placers. In 1864 the McIrwin Brothers found rich ore 2 and «miles above the mouth of the creek, but owing to the difficulty of working quartz at that time, they abandoned the location.

Zach. Thompson's Company discovered the Big Medicine, the Susie Brown and Mr. Thompson leads in 1873. The Mantle lode was struck by Smith in 1879, and now belongs to S. T. Hauser. Brown and Hathaway sold the Boulder Prospect to Lawson and Allport in 1880.

The numerous mines of this district now worked have been opened since 1880, and are among the leading industries of the Territory. The population of Cataract and Basin in 1880 was 99.

CLANCEY *

page 652 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: GILLETTE; BULLARD; HILL;

Clancey, fourteen miles southeast of Helena, is one of the business centers of the county, settled in 1865. In 1879 this village was credited with a population of 200, while, according to the census returns of 1880, the number has fallen to 77. M. H. Hill may be considered the Pioneer Merchant of Clancey. He carries on a general mercantile business, including hardware and drugs, a machine and blacksmith shop, and acts as postmaster, assayer and metallurgist in that district. The sawmill and ore hoister at this point are operated by water power. Star of the West Lodge, No. 46, I. O. G. T., was founded by Massena Bullard, May 29, 1874. The number of original members was 27. F. L. Gillette was elected Lodge Deputy. Charter revoked in 1876.

The Jefferson Valley Woolen Mill was erected in 1879. This is a two story stone building, 50 x 100 feet, supplied with first class machinery, and is the pioneer of the woolen manufacturing industry in this Territory - the introduction, as it were, to hundreds of large manufacturing establishments which the Territory will sustain, and for which this county is so well adapted.

COMET

page 661 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: PARKISON

Comet is the name of a settlement of 1869, twenty eight miles south of Helena, just west of Wickes. J. T. Parkison is postmaster. The district is credited with a population of about 300. The works at Wickes, Comet and Gregory have not only added to the wealth and population of Jefferson county, but have also given a strong impetus to prospecting.

ELK PARK


See WOODVILLE

FISH CREEK

page 562 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: BRUFFEY; COMFORT; JORDAN; GIST; RUNDELL; BEALL; TUTTLE; CRISSMAN

Fish Creek, just east of Table Mt., is an old settlement, dating back to the sixties, when prospectors looked north from Alder gulch to the quartz hills of the Jefferson, and located there in 1865. The population of the settlement, in 1880 was 12, now increased to 100. Geo. A. Bruffey is postmaster at this point. (Vide Mining History.) Here a steam sawmill and crushing mill are located.

Fish Creek Lodge, No. 5, I. O. G. T., was organized August 2, 1870, by Geo. Comfort. The present membership is 50. Walter M. Jordan, Etta Jordan, O. J. Gist, J. W. Rundell, John A. Beall, Mattie Tuttle, A. D. Beall, J. M. Gist and H. M. Rundell hold the official positions from W. C.T. to W. I. G. Waterloo Lodge, No. 48, I. O. G. T., was formed February 23, 1875, with 10 members. J. S. Crissman was the first deputy. Charter revoked in 1876.

GREGORY

page 661 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: FREYLER; CULLIVAN; THOMAS; RENSHAW; MENTRUM; BRITT

Gregory, twenty four miles southwest of Helena, on the Prickly Pear, is an old mining settlement, now ranking as a postal town.

D. Freyler & Son conduct a general store at this point; T. Cullivan and Thomas & Renshaw, saloons; and Mentrum & Britt, the Gregory hotel. The estimated population is sixty.

HIGHLAND GULCH

page 661 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

Highland Gulch was discovered July 25, 1866, and the Highland Gold Co.'s mine started November 1, 1868. Cooley's Gulch was discovered September 4, 1866.

JEFFERSON CITY *

page 650 - From Leeson's History of Montana 1739-1885 published 1885

SURNAMES FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE: CULVER; NEIL; SOULE; McLAUGHLIN; FAY; CLEMENTS; DENBOW; EYL; BERENDES; ELLIS; TAYLOR; DOUGLAS; BENJAMIN; RUDD; RUSSELL; HOLTER; PATTERSON; KESSLER; WINTER; WHITSTONE; TICE; DEAFLIN; BLAKEMAN; BECKER; WEHR; DELL; DILDINE; SANDERS; THOMPSON; MOULTER; CAMIX; REDDING; CAMPBELL; HAGGERTY; SMITH; ALLEN; SHEENAN; AXE; RADCLIFF; MERRIMAN

The Jefferson Town Company was incorporated January 11, 1865, with Nathaniel Merriman, John Radcliff, Allen T. Axe, and Philip Sheenan, incorporators. The place was settled in 1864 by these men while en route from Alder Gulch to Helena. Allen T. Axe discovered the Gregory lode, and there the party located. In 1865 the legislature designated the new town as the seat of justice for the county. Shortly after the district was organized a post office was established with Nathaniel Merriman, postmaster. The first school was conducted by Miss Sallie Allen, during the winter of 1866-7. She was the daughter of "Dad" Allen, who kept a blacksmith shop after Frank Smith and John Haggerty, the first blacksmiths. The first hotel was conducted by William Campbell, and the first store by J. S. Redding; Gou Camix and A. H. Moulter were among the pioneer business men of the village. A substantial school building was given place to the pioneer school house of 1866-7., the Emerson House takes the place of the first hotel, and even the blacksmith shop is modern compared ith the old one, which was destroyed by the only fire that ever threatened the village. The business circle of Jefferson in 1879 was made up of the following named traders: M. B. Thompson, Emerson Hotel; J. G. Sanders, general merchandise; Henry Dildine, general merchandise; Dell & Wehr, meat market; Conrad Becker, blacksmith; Henry Blakeman, Blacksmith; Casper Deaflin, shoemaker; Thomas D. Tice, barber shop; William Whitstone, Saloon and billiard hall; Kessler & Winters, saloon, Conrad Becker, Saloon and billiards; Becker & Co., livery stable; Jessie Patterson, lumber dealer; Holter & Russell, lumber dealers; Dr. A. F. Rudd, Physician. Jefferson Lodge, No. 14, I. O. G. T., was organized May 6, 1869, with Geo. Benjamin, L. D., but ceased working. Jefferson Lodge, No. 33, was organized by G. A. Douglas, August 10, 1872, with sixteen members. J. M. D. Taylor was the first deputy of this Lodge. Charter forfeited 1873. The population of Jefferson in 1879 was estimated at five hundred; in 1880 the number of inhabitants in the village and vicinity was two hundred and ten. The business circle of 1884-5 is made up as follows: Ellis & Berendes, general store; E. C. Eyl, General store; A. F. Rudd and c. Denbow, physicians; Clements & Fay, hotel; Wm. Campbell, J. McLaughlin, Wm. Whitstone, saloons; Soule Bros., livery; Wm. Neil, blacksmith; John Culver, justice of the peace, and F. W. Ellis, postmaster.

RETURN TO JEFFERSON COUNTY HOME PAGE
[IMAGE]

Updated 03/10/98

[IMAGE]