Henry Buck, a prominent merchant of Stevensville
came to Montana in 1868. He was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, August 13,
1846 of Swiss descent, his ancestors having emigrated to this country several
generations ago and settled in Pennsylvania. He is a brother of Amos Buck
and is the youngest in his father's family. In the public schools of Monroe
County Michigan he received hi early education and in 1866 he graduated in
the Commercial College at Albion Michigan. Following his graduation he was
for two year engaged in teaching school in Monroe County.
In 1868 he came to Montana and with his brothers,
Fred and Amos, mined for two years in Lin Gulch, Deer Lodge County, their
mining operations there, however ending in failure. Next they went to Cedar
Creek where they met with better success. They mined there in company with
a number of others for four years, during which time the company took out
$200,000.00, this amount being divided between six interests, the Buck brothers
receiving one-sixth of this amount, less expenses of operating the mines.
From Cedar Creek they came to the Bitter Root Valley and located a ranch nine
miles north of Stevensville, where they turned their attention to stock raising.
They did not, however, remain in the mercantile
business in Stevensville. They purchased the store and stock of Joseph A.
Lomme, took possession January 28, 1876, and from that date up to the present
they have had a successful career in the mercantile business. The frame building
in which they began business was 22 x 40 feet, they had a stock of goods valued
at $6,200.00 and for some time the firm name was Buck brothers, composed of
Fred, Amos and Henry Buck. They did a large retail business with the farmers,
taking produce in exchange for goods, and running wagons to the different
mining camps in Bannack, Ft. Benton, Helena, Deer Lodge, Silver Bow and the
The three brothers continued together until March 18,1884
at which time Fred and Henry purchased the interest of Amos and the firm name
was changed to that of F. and H. Buck. January 31, 1890, Fred Buck
died and after his death and the settlement of his estate his widow took
her husbands place in the firm, the business now being continued as before,
only that the firm name changed to Henry Buck and Company.
Besides the mercantile business, Mr. Henry
Buck has also become identified with other enterprises. He is a stockholder
in the Whippoorwill and Last Chance Mining Company. He owns forty acres of
land adjoining the original town site of Stevensville, which he has surveyed
into town lots and made an addition to the town of Stevensville and called
Henry Buck's Villa. He also owns a one-sixth interest in a forty acre addition
to Stevensville called Pleasantville; also property in the
business portion of Anaconda.
Mr. Buck was married April 2, 1878 to Miss
Clara E. Elliott, a native of Iowa and daughter of David Elliott. Her
father came to Montana with his family in 1862 and located in the Bitter Root
Valley. Her brother Lind Elliott lost his life at Big Hole in the fight with
the Indians. Mr. and Mrs. Buck have three children, the eldest Carrie
Belle died at the age of three years, Fred E. and Clarence Henry.
History of Montana, 1898