Search billions of records on


       Myron Lockwood, a successful farmer of the Bitter Root valley was born in St. Lawrence County New York, January 8, 1841. His grandfather, William Lockwood, was a native of England and after emigrating to America settled on Long Island. He married Miss Percy Powers. Mr. Lockwood was a soldier in the War of 1812. His son, A.P. Lockwood, was born in St. Lawrence County New York and was there married to Miss Sophia Wright, also a native of that country and they had ten children. The three surviving children reside in Montana. The parents spent their entire lives in St. Lawrence County and were active members of the Methodist Church. Myron Lockwood, the fifth child in order of birth was reared to manhood at his native place and attended the winter schools.

      When the civil war burst upon the country and President Lincoln made his call for volunteers, he tendered his services and in September 1861 was enrolled in Company F, Fifth Vermont Volunteer Infantry. He served under Generals McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, Meade and Grant. At the expiration of his term of enlistment, Mr. Lockwood re-enlisted as a veteran, served until the close of the struggle, and participated in twenty-eight of the hard-fought battles of the war in many of which the army covered itself with glory and rendered the country an inestimable service. At the battle of the Wilderness, Mr. Lockwood received a shot in his right thigh which disabled him for five months and he was afterward wounded in the left thigh. He entered the service as a private and was promoted to the position of First Sergeant.

     After the surrender of General Lee's army he went to Washington and participated in the grand review of the victorious army. After his re-enlistment in 1864, Mr. Lockwood was given a furlough and returned home, and January 6 of that year he was united in marriage with Miss Amanda P. Gordon, a native of Russell, New York and a daughter of William R. Gordon, of Scotch ancestry. In 1867 our subject and wife left Marshall town, Iowa for Council Bluffs and in the following spring came up the Missouri River to Montana. They spent two months in making the journey to Fort Benton and came with ox teams from that place to Helena. They passed large herds of buffalo on the road and were much annoyed with the Sioux Indians.
      After his arrival in Helena, Mr. Lockwood secured work at $125 per month and during the winters followed mining at Iowa Gulch with good success. Next, with a partner he was engaged in making cheese and butter at American Bar. During one season they made as high as $1700 but the entire amount was gambled away in a single by his partner. He afterward mined across the Missouri River. While there, the Indians drove his wife from home and he returned to find the house empty, the Indians having robbed them of nearly everything they possessed. Mr. Lockwood next went to the Cedar Creek stampede, passing over the mountains on what is now the Mullen Road, and they paid as high as $20 a piece for their passage, but on account of the deep snow were obliged to walk the entire distance. They spent six weeks on the road and suffered many hardships.

      After returning from this expedition Mr. Lockwood rented land at Frenchtown, where he engaged in farming, butter and cheese making and freighting. In 1874 they came to the bitter Root Valley, farmed on rented land during the first three years and then purchased a ranch on Rye Creek. In 1877 the Indians made another of their murderous raids and they were obliged to flee for their lives. At that time Mr. Lockwood was asked to guide General Gibbon's volunteer militia over the mountains and soon afterward, on August 9, the Big Hole Battle was fought. They approached the Indians, skirmishes were deployed and every fourth man was ordered back to take care of the horses. In the first volley, Mr. Lockwood's brother, Almond J. was killed. At the close of the day the troops fell back to a pine grove. Our subject was wounded in the right hip and the left thigh and was taken to Deer Lodge hospital where he remained disabled eight months. These wounds caused him to be a cripple for life.

      After his recovery, Mr. Lockwood resumed farming, but, learning that the Indians intended making another raid, the settlers escaped the day before they arrived and their savings were again wiped out. Soon afterward he sold his land and purchased property at Corvallis, where he received the appointment of guard at the penitentiary under A.C. Borkin and served in that capacity four years. During that time, Mr. Lockwood purchased 320 acres of land on which he now resides located one and a half miles north of Corvallis, but has since given 110 acres of that tract to this son. Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood have had the following children: Frank M. born at Helena, October 27, 1867; Walter A, born March 25, 1869, died March 31, 1869; Dexter G., born March 19, 1871; William R. born August 20, 1872; Mable Alice, born August 14, 1874; Lucy C born June 27, 1877 and died December 4 of the same year; and Maud S., born January 22, 1873.

History of Montana, by Joaquin Miller, 1894