DALY MANSION was built in the late 1880's by Copper King, Marcus Daly. The Mansion was designed by A.J. Gibson in a Georgian Rival Style. It is the largest private residence in Montana, is two and one-half stories high and has 40 rooms. There are 25 bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, a butler's pantry, walk-in coolers, a large kitchen, and 7 fireplaces, 5 of which are marbled-faced and were carved in Italy. A trophy room was added in 1914 to display the Marcus Daly's hunting trophies. The wallpaper was imported from Europe, two rooms have hand-painted wallpaper, and silk brocade covers the walls of the entrance hall. The bathrooms have nickel-plateted brass trim and the bath tubs are decorated with gold leaf stripes.
The Mansion was completed in 1910, to Marcus Daly's specifications, by his wife, Margaret. After Mrs. Daly's death in 1941, the mansion was closed and boarded up until 1987, when the State of Montana acquired the mansion and about 47 acres and was entrusted to the Daly Mansion Preservation Trust to manage. The Mansion is located on the East Side Highway, about 2 miles north of Hamilton. It is open to the public for daily tours, April 15 to October 15. Tours hourly 11 AM - 4 PM. (406) 363-6004
ST. MARY'S MISSION was built by the Jesuit Missionaries in 1841. This was the beginning of the first permanent non-Indian settlement in what is now Montana. The missionaries named the little settlement "St. Mary's." The mission was closed in 1850 because of a conflict with the Salish people and the property was sold to Major John Owen, a trader with the army. In 1866, the Jesuits reestablished St. Mary's Mission with a log chapel about a mile from the old mission. Next to the chapel, they built a house and a pharmacy for Father Anthony Ravalli. He served as a priest and doctor in the Bitter Root Valley until 1884.
This historic site is located at the West end of 4th Street in Stevensville, MT. There is the restored log chapel/residence, pharmacy, Indian museum, cemetery, park & picnic area, and gift shop. Tours daily from 10 AM - 5 PM. (406) 777-5734
RAVALLI COUNTY MUSEUM is housed in the former
Ravalli County Courthouse, which was built in 1900, at 205 Bedford, Hamilton,
MT. Exhibits include a Native American collection, pioneer rooms depicting
a trapper miner cabin, school room and kitchen, plus a large photographic
collection. The museum also has Ravalli County newspapers on film. Obituaries
and events are indexed in a card file.
Hours are Thursday - Monday 10 AM - 4 PM. Museum (406) 363-3338
DARBY PIONEER MUSEUM is housed in an original homesteaders cabin located on Main Street, Darby, MT. Displays include photos, relics and implements of the area's pioneer past. (406) 821-4503
VICTOR MUSEUM is in the historic Victor Railroad
building. Special features of the museum are Victor school memorabilia, sports
photos, sweaters and equipment. There are also railroad artifacts. The museum
is located on Main Street in Victor, MT.
STEVENSVILLE HISTORICAL MUSEUM is located in historic home on Main Street in Stevensville. The features of the museum are photo displays depicting Native American and Stevensville historical development, native artifacts, old pioneer clothing, furniture, and household items. Early day life in the valley is portrayed. (406) 777.3201
BLODGETT CEMETERY , a historic family cemetery west of Hamilton.
BLODGETT CANYON located west of Hamilton.
BROOKS HOTEL - Historic hotel and family-style dining in Corvallis. Now a year-round Christmas store.