Search billions of records on



September 4, 1903 - November 29, 1984
    Frank DuBois Jaquette, 81, of Hamilton, died Thursday morning at Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital from cancer. He was born September 4, 1903 at Victor, Colorado, the son of Frank D. and Esther Jaquette. His family alter moved to Butte, Montana, graduated from high school and attended the School of Mines. He moved to the Bitter Root Valley where he devoted his time to mining and bee-keeping. On October 3, 1930 Frank married Hazel Mary Maxwell in the Bitter Root Valley.
    He is survived by two daughters, Maxine Skaw, Ovando, Montana, and Marion Mendenhall of Hamilton; 10 grandchildren and nine great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his eldest daughter, Jean Wetzsteon Johnson.
Ravalli Republic, Friday, November 30, 1984, page 2

April 9, 1879 - May 16, 1955
Jenkins Funeral Service Thursday
    Funeral services for Oscar Warren Jenkins, 81, will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Dowling Funeral Home with the Rev. L.L. Grandpre, pastor of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, officiating. Burial will be in the Corvallis Cemetery.
    He was born April 9, 1879 at Alton, Kansas, and was married January 20, 18905 to Nina May Smith at Neodesha, Kansas. He lived in Kansas until moving to Montana in March 1900. He lived in Hamilton area until 1903 then started operating a farm near Corvallis. Jenkins died May 16 at his home at 119 North 6th Street. He had lived there since 1951.
    Survivors include his widow; sons, Vernon E, William O, Delwyn J, all of Corvallis; Clayton B, Darby; Joseph A, Seattle, Washington; Rollin A, Fort Worth, Texas; daughter, Cora Mae Barker, Culleen, Washington; brothers, Charles, Portland, Oregon, and Thomas, Pueblo, Colorado, and a sister, Mrs. Jennie Hartz, Denver, Colorado. There are numerous grandchildren.
Ravalli Republican, May 17, 1955, page 1 

O.W. Jenkins, Long Time Resident Of The Bitter Root, Is Taken By Death
    Funeral services were conducted this afternoon at the Dowling chapel in Hamilton for Oscar Warren Jenkins, who passed away Monday afternoon at 3:45  at his home on North Sixth Street in Hamilton. Rev. Liono Grandpre, pastor of the Seventh Day Adventist church at Missoula and Hamilton, officiated at the rites. Burial was made in Corvallis cemetery. The pallbearers were Russell Unrue, Jack Unrue, Floyd Wilson, Walter Ash, Frank Weisbeck, and Harry Gander.
    Oscar Warren Jenkins was born April 9, 1874 at Altoona, Kansas. He came from pioneer stock of Virginia whose later generations in turn had been pioneers in Kentucky and Illinois. He was marred to Mina May Smith of Neodesha, Kansas at her home January 20, 1895. Shortly after their marriage, the couple came to Montana to make their home, arriving in Hamilton April 1, 1900.
    Mr. Jenkins was an accomplished stone mason After his arrival in the Bitter Root, he immediately secured work at his craft in the construction of the Ravalli county court house at Hamilton. He helped lay the heavy stone foundation and did other work on the building, later joining in construction work on the roof of the structure. Later, Mr. Jenkins engaged in work in the woods of the area, which were then being harvested of the virgin crop of yellow pine which covered most of the valley and its mountains ides. From time to time, he engaged in work as a stone mason on other buildings then rising in the new town of Hamilton.
    He homesteaded in the hills east of Corvallis in 1903 where the family was raised and Mr. Jenkins grew wheat. In the spring of 1928, Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins quit the wheat ranch and acquired farm property under the “Big Ditch” where he operated a dairy, ran a small band of sheep and for nine years was engaged as the driver of one of the school buses of the Corvallis consolidated school district.
    In 1951, Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins moved to Hamilton where they have since made their home. During the past several years, Jenkins had not been very strong which impaired his ability to get about the community to a considerable extent, but he retained his mental faculties until the very end, maintaining a deep interest in public affairs and continuing a life long career as a sterling citizen, father, husband and friend. He was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist church for 58 years.
    Mr. Jenkins is survived by his widow, Mina May, and by the following children: Vernon and William, booth of Corvallis; Rollin, Ft. Worth, Texas; Cora May Barker, Quilcene, Washington; Joseph, /seattle, Delwyn, Corvallis; clayton, Darby; by two brothers, Charles of Portland, Oregon, and Thomas of Pueblo, Colorado, and by a sister, Jennie Hartz, Denver, Colorado. Also surviving are 25 grandchildren and 28 great grandchildren.
    All of the children, together with immediate relatives, thereof, some of the grandchildren and great grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and friends from with out the Bitter Root were here for the funeral services.
The Western News, May 19, 1955 

January 14, 1833 - March 1, 1910
    Shortly after midnight Tuesday morning, George Washington Jennings, another of the aged residents of the Bitter Root valley, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A.C. Walbridge, on Second street, death being the result of apoplexy. The deceased had not been in good health for some time. Five years ago, he suffered a stroke of paralysis, and since that time, he made his home with Mr. and Mrs. Walbridge. The direct cause of death, however, was apoplexy, with which he was afflicted only a few hours.
    Mr. Jennings had reached the advanced age of seventy-seven years, one month and fifteen days, being born in Bon Tioga County, Pennsylvania, January 14, 1833. Here he lived forty-two years when he moved to Wisconsin. Twenty years later he came to the Bitter Root valley, where he lived fifteen years. Ten years of this time, he lived at Grantsdale, following the trade of a mason. He was a member of the Grantsdale Presbyterian church and he was a devoted Christian.
    The funeral was held at the Walbridge home Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock by Rev. J.C. Irwin, pastor of the Hamilton Presbyterian church. The body was interred in Riverview cemetery, beside the remains of his wife, who died several years ago.
Ravalli Republican, March 4, 1910

December 6, 1939 - February 1986
    Betty Lou Nulliner Jewell, 46, of Missoula, died Saturday at her home from complications of diabetes. She was born December 6, 1939 at Hamilton, the daughter of Louis and Magrete Nulliner, and received her education in Hamilton. She later attended college at Dillon. She married John Jewell on September 16, 1961 at San Jose, CA.
    Survivors include her mother, Magrete Norbury, of Missoula; a son, Charles Jewell of Missoula, foster children: Sandra Goldie, Spokane, Wash, Jerry Hoffman and John Franklin, both of Missoula; three brothers, Raymond Dewey, Great Falls, Lou Nulliner, Hamilton, and Gene Nulliner, Missoula; a sister, May Fifield of Great Falls; five grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
    Funeral service will be conducted Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Dowling Funeral Home in Hamilton with pastors James Hoppe and Robert Mullen officiating. Burial will follow at Corvallis Cemetery in Corvallis.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, February 3, 1986

September 16, 1875 - April 5, 1953
    Charles G. Johnson died at his Corvallis home on Easter Sunday. He was born September 16, 1875 in Bornholm, Denmark.
  In 1897, he was married at Hamilton to Sadie Strange. They became the parents of three children who survive the parents. Mrs. Johnson died of cancer at Rochester, Minnesota in 1918.
    He is survived by his widow, Ellen; his son, Robert, a daughter, Mrs. Robert Thomas, all of Corvallis, and another daughter, Mrs. Wesley Hickey, Bozeman. Also surviving are four grandchildren. The latter are Ann, Bruce, and Craig Johnson and Janet Hickey.
    Funeral services for Mr. Johnson were held at the Dowling chapel in Hamilton Wednesday afternoon with Rev. Jesse Dove officiating. Burial was made in Corvallis cemetery. Pallbearers were Howard Boyer, Jack Korman, Eugene Doty, Fred Reinbold, Albert Hess, and Ed. O'Hare.
Abstract from: The Western News, April 9, 1953

January 23, 1868 - September 11, 1960
Chas. W. Johnston Died Sunday; Long A Resident In Bitter Root
    Charles W. Johnston, 92, died at Daly hospital Sunday, September 11, at 6:30 p.m. He had been a patient there for several days. Mr. Johnston had been in failing health the past several months. Rev. Robert Sherwood officiated at the rites Tuesday morning at the Dowling chapel and interment was in Riverview cemetery. Pallbearers were Lee Brown, Lou Giese, Pete Parpolia, Loyd Rennaker, Virgil Cook and Kelly Robbins. His grave is beside that of his brother, Lewis, who passed away July 1, 1937.
    Mr. Johnston was born January 23, 1878 in Cedar county, MO. Charley Johnston was well known to old timers of the Hamilton area. He came to the bitter Root with his brother, the late Lewis Johnston, when Hamilton was aborning in 1893. Charley knew all the people of the community in those rip-roaring days when Marcus Daly maintained his racing stables with some of the outstanding race horses of all time housed in Tammany Castle and other stables on the Stock Farm. Mr. Johnston was often tempted in his twilight years to compare life in racy young Hamilton in its pioneer days with conditions as he found them in recent times. His comparisons were all in favor of the “good old days” when Hamilton had 23 saloons, racing celebrities from all parts of the nation and even England, trains pulling new thoroughbreds in and out of the valley as part of the operation of the Daly stables.
    He recalled the appearance of a horde of “timber-beasts” from the woods every pay day with the reverberations made along the heavy plank sidewalks between the saloons and into the depths of the “Burnt “Forty” where dwelt the demimonde All of these memories would be recalled by Mr. Johnston as he regaled friends with stories of the past and he would then pointedly bespeak of the absence of such life in modern Hamilton!
    Johnston worked on the bitter Root Stock Farm, in the woods, and on various other farms of the valley. He resided for some years in Butte and in the Missoula area, finally returning to Hamilton in 1937 to rejoin his brother Lewis, who then operated at his residence, which was located and still stands on land situated just north of the Super Stop Market in Hiway 93, north Hamilton.
    In 1946, Mr. Johnston went back to Missouri where he visited his mother’s grave and looked over the old school he attended as a lad in Cedar Bluffs, MO. He continued to Greenville, Texas and to Stockton, MO, where he visited relatives and some old friends. But things had changed since he left Greenville and he was glad to return to Hamilton where he has resided since. After his brother’s death, he moved to his home on North First street. For many winters he was an ardent white fisherman but in recent years found it expedient to hang up his pole.
    A niece, Mrs. Garnett (Effie) Lee of Greenville, Texas and her husband, who came to Hamilton to visit not knowing he was ill has been with her uncle during his last days. They are leaving soon for home.
The Western News, September 15, 1960 

August 26, 1901 - March 3, 1950
Frank F. Johnson Rites on Tuesday
    Funeral services for Frank F. Johnson, 48, carpenter, will be held in Dowling chapel Tuesday at 2 p.m. with Rev. Roger Robinson officiating. Mr. Johnson died of heart disease in Daly hospital Friday night. He had been in ill health for several years.
    He was born August 26, 1901, Madison, Wisconsin and came to the Bitter Root with his family in 1912 and settled on a ranch near Corvallis. He lived in Corvallis since that tie following the carpentry trade. He was a member of the Carpenter’s union and of the Hamilton Eagles lodge. March 6, 1928, he was married to Minnie Stoll.
    Survivors include the widow; son, Ernest; daughter, Mrs. Beverly Eicholz, three grandchildren; one brother and three sisters The brother, Carl, Lebanon,oregon, arrived Saturday and will remain to attend the funeral services.
    Pall bearers will be John Wilkerson, Floyd McCormick, William Randolph, Roy Thomas, Robert Thomas. Burial will be in Corvallis cemetery.
Ravalli Republic, March 6, 1950

November 26, 1832 - May 15, 1916
Smothered to Death While Working in a Mine
Slide in the Curlew Mine Near Victor Caught Clarence Johnson Monday Morning
Victor, May 18 - Clarence Johnson, aged 22 years, was crushed nd smothered to death about 1:30 o’clock Monday Morning in the tailing pit at the Curlew mine northwest of Victor. Clarence, with his father, George W. Johnson, were working with the night crew at the mine. The chute became clogged and the young man went down to clean it out when in some manner, a gradual slide was started and his feet and legs were caught under the pressure. His father threw a rope to him, but was unable to pull him out. He then ran for help, but when the foreman and other help arrived, only a hand was protruding. When the young man was finally taken out at 3:30 o’clock, the body was lifeless.
    Clarence Johnson was born at Belgrade, Montana, November 16, 1892. He is survived by his father, two sisters, Margaret Johnson and Mrs. Henry Corvan, and a brother, Alvin, and a half-brother, who lives in Iowa.
    His friend, Miss Daisy Akin, of Belgrade, and his uncles, Sam and Dave Bell of Belgrade, were present for the funeral services which were held at the Presbyterian church Wednesday at 2 p.m., Rev. J.L. Reese of Stevensville officiating. The deceased was a member of the Odd Fellows and Rebekah lodges. Interment was made in the Victor Cemetery. Services were conducted by the joint lodges at the cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, May 19, 1916

February 15, 1863 - November 28, 1942
    Funeral services for Mrs. Otto Johnson, 79, who died shortly before midnight Saturday, were held at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon in the Dowling chapel. She was taken ill November 23 and was admitted to the hospital three days later. The Rev. C.J. Taber will officiated. Interment was in Riverview Cemetery. Pall bearers were David Hope, Ted LaChambre, Paul Pagenkopf, Frank Merritt, DeWitt Vial, and Miles Romney Jr.
    Mrs. Johnson was born near Oslo, Norway, February 15, 1863. She came to this country with her parents on a sailboat when four weeks old. It required six weeks for the trip. The family first located in Bloomingdale, Wisconsin. In 1890, Mrs. Johnson went to Helena from Sparta, Wisconsin, where Mr. Johnson operated a furniture store. They came here a few years later and for nearly 50 years, Mrs. Johnson has lived in the same house at 739 Main Street.
    She was a charter member of the Methodist Church here, a member of the Scandinavia fraternity, and a former member of the Rebekah lodge.
    Survivors include her daughter, Mrs. Elsie Wayne, and son, Carl, at home; sons Lindahl, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Fritz R., Spokane, Washington. Fritz arrived Monday to attend the services, but Lindahl will be unable to attend because of the illness of his wife.
Ravalli Republican, December 3, 1942

November 6, 1977 - August 24, 1963
Mrs. Ellen Johnson of Corvallis Died Saturday; Rites Monday
    Funeral services were Monday afternoon at the Dowling chapel for Mrs. Charles Johnson of Corvallis who died at her home Saturday, August 24, after an illness of several weeks. Rev. E.J. Ruff officiated at the rites and interment was in Corvallis cemetery. Pallbearers were Jack Korman, Eugene Doty, Roy Thomas, Dudley Bowden, Gilbert Chaffin and Ed Bay. Mrs. Johnson had been in poor health for several years.
    Ellen Margaret Stade was born November 6, 1877 in Roskilde, Denmark. She came to the United States in 1919 and settled in Corvallis. She married Charles G. Johnson December 27, 1919 in Hamilton with Rev. Richard Whitehouse officiating and attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Harrie Fierce. Mr. Johnson died April 5, 1953.
    Survivors are a son, Robert, Corvallis; stepdaughters, Mrs. Robert (Edna) Thomas, Corvallis, Mrs. W.G. (Irene) Hickey, Bozeman; four grandchildren; and a sister in Denmark. The grandchildren of Mrs. Johnson are Mrs. Dean (Janet Hickey) Ford, Bozeman; Ann, Bruce, and Craig Johnson, Corvallis.
The Western News, August 28, 1963

October 7, 1852 - November 18, 1904
JOHNSON: After a lingering illness covering several months, Mrs Naaman Johnson, mother of Clerk and Recorder C.M. Johnson of Ravalli County, died at her home in Corvallis Friday morning, November 18th at the age of 53 years. The funeral was held at Corvallis Sunday morning at 11 o'clock and in spite of the inclement weather and bad roads was largely attended.
    Mr. and Mrs. Naaman Johnson were among the early pioneers of Montana. They were married at Virginia City in 1867 when Alder Gulch was the greatest mining camp on earth. In 1882 they came to the Bitter Root Valley, locating at Corvallis where they have made their home ever since, winning friends on every hand, and the esteem and respect of everyone. Besides her husband, the deceased leaves a family of eleven children, all grown to the full estate of manhood and womanhood, but sorrowing as children should over the passing of a kind and devoted mother to her reward in the eternal home.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, November 25, 1904

George Johnson Died at Victor Tuesday Morning
Went to Work as Usual That Morning and Complaining of Pains Returned Home
Victor, November 2 - Tuesday morning, George Johnson, whose ranch is about three miles north of here, went to help a neighbor thresh, but before he arrived there, he was taken with a pain across the breast and was not able to work so returned home and about 11 o’clock passed away. He was apparently in the best of health Monday and helped thresh at his own and at a neighbor’s place. He leaves his invalid wife, two sons, Otto and Myron of Sidney, and a daughter, Mrs. Everson of Trout Creek. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock at the house and the remains will be laid to rest in the Victor cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, November 3, 1916

1858 - March 23, 1929
    Stevensville, March 26 - George W. Johnson, who has been in ill health for 10 years, died early Monday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus L. Franks with whom he lived in late years. His wife died three years ago and a daughter several years previously.
    Two daughters and two sons are yet living. They are Mrs. Cyrus L. Franks in Stevensville and Mrs. Charles Tepley of Three Mile, James Johnson, the eldest of the children living in California; Claude Johnson, the younger son, residing here.
    Mr. Johnson came here from Missouri about 59 years ago and was employed by Charles Flannigin on his farm in the Etna section. He later returned to his home in the eat and brought back his wife and the family became part of the growing community along Burnt Fork creek where he has farmed the greater part of his time as a local resident.
    He was one of the Ravalli County representatives in the legislature and assessor one term. Soon after Judge Henry L. Myers resigned from the bench in the third district court to become United States senator, Mr. Johnson was prominently mentioned as the next United States marshal but another applicant was successful in getting the appointment.
The Western News, March 28, 1929

May 20, 1906 - June 12, 1977
Sula - Harry J. Johnson, a retired real estate salesman, died Sunday at his Sula residence. He was 71. He was born May 20, 1906 at Glendive and married Lorraine Leidahl there April 15, 1931. The couple lived in Glendive, where Mr. Johnson worked in real estate until retiring to the Sula area four or five years ago.
    Survivors include his wife, Lorraine, Sula; a daughter, Tanya Marr Cornish, Bellevue, Washington; a sister, Jessie Handforth, Chloride, Arizona; a stepmother, Florence Johnson, Republic, Ohio; and three grandchildren.
    Mr. Johnson’s body has been sent to Spokane for cremation. Local arrangements are under the direction of the Dowling Funeral Home in Hamilton. Contributions may be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.
Ravalli Republic, June 13, 1977

June 5, 1886 -August 9, 1962
H.W. Johnson Bitter Root Song Writer Is No More
    Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Robert Sherwood at the Dowling Chapel in Hamilton Saturday afternoon in tribute to Harry W. Johnson, well-loved Bitter Root resident for many years, who passed away at Daly Memorial Hospital Thursday, August 9 following an illness which extended over several weeks following a stroke.
    Many friends gathered at the chapel to pay their respects to Mr. Johnson’s memory. Included in the services were two songs written by Harry Johnson, which were sung by Mrs. E.G. Brownlee who was accompanied by Mrs. Wallace McCrackin. The songs were: “God’s Garden of Love: and “Come Take My Hand.” Pallbearers at the rites were long time friends: Lewis Downing, C.A. Smithey, C.H. Raymond, Guy Middlemist, Jay Severns, and Kenneth Robbins. Interment was made in Corvallis Cemetery.
    Harry W. Johnson was born at Waverly, PA January 5, 1886. He possessed a curiosity about things which early drew him westward and he traveled to the Pacific coast where he met and wed Jeannette Summers, daughter of one of the Bitter Root’s pioneer families, which had moved to California. They were married June 20, 1917 at Santa Monica, California. In the autumn of 1918, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson came to the Bitter Root and acquired a small tract of land east of Corvallis which they farmed until 1921 when they moved to Portland where he became associated with a large furniture store in which he was employed until the fall of 1934 when they returned to Montana and acquired the Sula Store. At that time, the road was being constructed over Lost Trail Pass and the Johnsons acquired real property at the mouth of Ross Hole where they erected a new store with living quarters and some tourist cabins. This is the store which is now owned operated by Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Poll.
    The Johnsons operated their new store and cabins until 1948 when they sold to Sherman Strate and Charles Strate. The Johnsons then moved to the Grantsdale district where they built a new home on the Y leading to the Grantsdale bridge. They lived there for five years when they sold and acquired a home at 500 South Fourth St, Hamilton, which is now the home of Mrs. Johnson.
    Harry Johnson was a most versatile man. His years of experience in the furniture business proved of value as he learned the upholstery art in which he engaged in various sites in the years after coming to Hamilton. In recent years he maintained a shop in the Coast to Coast Store. He was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church in Hamilton and for a number of years was in charge of the choir at that church. He was also a member of the Ionic Lodge No. 35 A.F.&A.M.
    Perhaps his greatest outside interest was song writing at which he became most proficient. He wrote innumerable songs of western type, simple ballads, sacred songs, and patriotic songs. Two of his songs, “Have you Ever Seen Montana” and “In the Bitter Root Valley” have been very popular in this area, but his most important work was “Good Night Soldier” which won national acclaim during World War II and was featured in a No. 1 song hit over radio by nations stars. That song also proved a moneymaker for Harry.
    Harry Johnson was always polite and considerate. He was industrious. He was devoted to his wife and a true friend. But the contribution which will cause him to be remembered was his ability to provide happy entertainment. Both in personal singing and in song writing, he left a song in the hearts of those who knew him, which they will never forget.
    Family members who were here for the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Leland Summers of Lewistown, Montana, Mr. and Mrs. George Pattillo, Portland, Oregon, and Mr. and Mrs. John Ashby and son, Roger, of Tacoma. Mr. Summers is a brother of Mrs. Johnson and Mrs. Pattillo is a sister of Mr. Johnson. M. Sgt. Ashby is a nephew of Mr. Johnson. The Ashbys arrived Friday and were guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Chaffin until Sunday afternoon when they returned to Ft. Leis where he is stationed.
    Surviving Mr. Johnson beside his widow and sister Mrs. Pattillo is another sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Sweet, Dalton, PA as well as other relatives.
The Western News, August 15, 1962

1904 - January 1, 1932
    Herbert Wesley Johnson, born 28 years ago at Dempsey in the Deer Lodge valley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Johnson, prominent early day residents of that locality, died at 6 o’clock last night in Hamilton.
    Mr. Johnson was very well known in this city. He attended school here and also in Butte. In 1925 he was married to Miss Clara Sullivan, a well-known. Anaconda girl. He then went to California, where he spent four years as mechanic for the Southern California Edison company of Los Angeles. He returned to Anaconda two years ago because of his health.
    Mr. Johnson is survived by his wife and one son, Donald Herbert, 2 years of age; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Johnson of the Deer Lodge valley; two sisters, Mrs. Ed R. Lee of Butte and Erma D. Johnson of Anaconda; two brothers, Raymond of Anaconda and Hennes N. Johnson of Butte; an uncle. Chris Jergensen of the Deer Lodge valley; an aunt, Mary Crosswhite of Anaconda; three nephews, Norman E. Lee of Butte, Harold H. Johnson of Butte and William Prescott of Osawatomie, Kan.; five nieces, Katherine, Nettie May. Maurine Johnson and Neona Lee of Butte; Nadine Prescott of Osawatomie, Kan., and the following cousns: L. B. Crosswhite, Ida M. Crosswhite of Anaconda and Mrs. W. T. Parks of Wilmington, Cal.
No arrangements have been made as to the funeral.

January 7, 1886 - December 20, 1996
    Jeanette "Nettie" Edith Johnson, 110 years of age, of Hamilton, died Friday, December 20, 1996 at the Valley View Estates Nursing Home, in Hamilton. She was born January 7, 1886, on the Summers Ranch in the Skalkaho Valley, the daughter of John A. and Judy Summers. On June 20, 1917, she married Harry Johnson in California.
    Surviving are two nephews, Bob Summers of Portland, Oregon and John Ashby of Tacoma, Washington; a niece Barbara Bernatz of Mesa, Arizona.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republican, December 23, 1996

November 17, 1878 - July 21, 1957
    J.W. Johnson died Sunday, July 21 in Daly Memorial Hospital. John William Johnson was born November 17, 1878, the first white child to be born in Phelps County, Nebraska. At Fairfield, Nebraska he met Miss Cora Willis with whom he was wed on Christmas Day, 1903 at LaMoure, North Dakota.
    J.W. Johnson is survived by four children, eight grandchildren and one great grandchild. The children are Mrs. Glen Kohls, Hamilton; Mrs. Ansley Peirce, Spokane; Mrs. G.L. McLaren, Spokane; and William Johnson, Jr, Kooskia, Idaho. All of the children, Mr. Kohls, Mr. Peirce, and Mrs. Wm Johnson, together with some of the grandchildren, were here for the rites.
Abstract from: The Western News, July 25, 1957

June 5, 1904 - March 13, 1999
Missoula - Leoda Johnson, 94, of Missoula, passed away Saturday, March 13, 1999, at St. Patrick Hospital. She was born June 5, 1904, to Wicks and Mary Belle Smith in Sleeping Child, Mont. On March 9, 1928, she married Harry Johnson in Hamilton.
    She is survived by two daughters, Laurise Lockwood and her husband Bill, and Phyllis Gribnau; granddaughters Lonnie and Jamie Gribnau, Denise Potter and husband Don; grandsons Joe Gribnau and wife Michele, Larry Lockwood and wife Jaime, Brian Lockwood and Jolene, and Jim Lockwood and Vera; and seven great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband Harry, sisters Judy, Kitty, Ida and Maudie, and brothers Dewey, Perry and Dave.
    Visitation will be 9-11 a.m. Wednesday, March 17, at Garden City Funeral Home, where a funeral service will follow at 11 a.m. Interment will be at Corvallis Cemetery. Arrangements are under the care of Garden City Funeral Home and Crematory.
Abstract from: The Missoulian, March 15, 1999

November 10, 1931 - March 18, 1983
    L. Jean Johnson, 51, of Bigfork died Friday at the Kalispell Regional Hospital following a brief illness.  She was born November 10, 1931 in Butte, the daughter of Frank D. and Hazel Click Jaquette. She attended rural elementary schools in the Bitter Root Valley and graduated from high school at Darby in 1949. She was also a graduate of the Butte Business College.
    On July 21, 1974, she married Dr. George Johnson in Lincoln. They made their home in Havre from 1974 until 1979, when they moved to Bigfork, where he is associated with the Bigfork Optometric Practice. Jean worked as an optometiric assistant up until the time of her death.
    Besides her husband at the family home, survivors include two children by a previous marriage, Terry and Paula Wetzsteon; two daughter, Loree Johnson of Missoula and Mrs. Eric (Sharon) Traber of Seward, Alaska; one son, Gregory Johnson of Somers; two grandchildren; her mother, Hazel Jaquette of Missoula; her father, Frank Jaquette of Hamilton; two sisters, Mrs. Robert (Marian) Mendenhall of Hamilton and Mrs. Ralph (Maxine) Shaw of Ovando; and numerous nieces and nephews.
    Memorial services will be held at the Missoula Community Chapel on Tuesday, March 22 at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Stephen Valentine officiating. Arrangements and cremation are by the Weatherford Funeral Home in Kalispell. The family suggests memorial contributions to the ALERT Foundation, Buffalo Hill, Kalispell.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, March 21, 1983

May 15, 1876 - March 31, 1947
Mrs. Myrtle Johnson Dies of Heart Attack At Home In Corvallis
Corvallis - Mrs. Myrtle Elizabeth Johnson, 70, died of a heart attack at her home Monday afternoon. She was born May 15, 1876, and had lived in the valley for the past 36 years. She was the widow of John Fred Johnson, a Spanish-American war veteran who died in 1942. Mrs. Johnson was a charter member of the Corvallis Community Church.
    Survivors are daughters, Mrs. Ethel Mace, Stevensville; Mrs. Raymond Birch , Clinton, Ind.; Mrs. Edna Rothe, Lewistown; and sons, Jack, Corvallis; Carl, Lebanon, Ore. The body is at the Dowling Funeral Home.
Ravalli Republican, Tuesday, April 1, 1947

April 26, 1908 - May 2, 1983
    Roy Harold Johnson, 75, died Monday at the Valley View Estates following a lengthy illness. He was born on April 26, 1908 at Michigan City, ND to the late Charles and Linda Hokamson and received his education in Mapes, ND.
    He entered the U.S. Army in March 1943 and was discharged in February 1944. Following his discharge, he moved to Hamilton. He owned and operated the Johnson Electric from 1956 to 1970 when he retired. He married Alice Bickner Clyde in Hamilton in 1946. They were divorced in 1965.
    Survivors include two daughters, Marilyn Johnson of Darby, and Judith Clark of Moses Lake, Washington; one son, James Johnson of Anchorage, Alaska; four sisters, Mabel Nelson of Spokane, Hattie Langstaf of Sacramento, California, Ether Schroeder of Seattle, and Myrtle Harbaugh of Hamilton; one brother, Harry Johnson of Aberdeen, SD. He was preceded in death by two brothers and two sisters.
    There will be no services. Cremation will take place in Missoula. The family suggests memorials to the Faith Lutheran Church, the Bitter Root Humane Shelter, or Hamilton Haven House.
    Arrangements are under the direction of the Dowling Funeral Home.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, May 3, 1983

Abraham L. (Abe) Johnston, 80, described in the obituary as a Pioneer Realtor in Hamilton since 1899, died on October 22, 1948, in Hamilton. His wife, Mabel C., had died on May 28, 1948.  He was survived by two sons: Joe of Spokane, WA; Robert of Hamilton; and Mrs. L.L. Davis of Hamilton.
 Independent Record, Helena, MT, October 23, 1948
Contributed by: Carol P. Garitty

Contributor's Notes:  Abraham Johnston was born about 1867 in Iowa to Robert and Sarah Selena Crowther Johnston.  Abraham and four brothers survived a typhoid epidemic in IA that claimed his mother, three sisters and another brother. Robert and the five surviving sons moved West and settled in MT and CA. Abraham and Mabel are buried in the Hamilton Cemetery, Ravalli County, MT.
Abraham's survivors would have been Joseph H. born about 1907, Robert C. born about 1903 and Mildred L. born about 1910.
     If any descendants of Abraham and Mabel and their children would care to contact me, I have additional family information to share. (Abraham's father and my great-grandfather, George Johnston, were brothers.)

November 5, 1878 - June 20, 1938
    Ed L. Jones, a farmer of the south Hamilton district, died at the Daly hospital Monday night from effects of a chronic ailment that necessitated amputation of his leg to halt gangrene. The amputation was made Sunday, but the inroads of the poisoning had gained too much headway and death resulted.
    Mr. Jones came here about two years ago from the Blackfoot valley. He had ranched there about five years after moving west from Rygate, where he lived several years. He had following farming throughout his life and his home here ws the small truck and fruit ranch which he purchased from Roy Moore. Born November 5, 1878 at Platteville, Wisconsin, Mr. Jones was nearing his sixtieth year.
Surviving family members are the wife, and a son Rex of Hamilton, and a son Robert, who arrived Tuesday from his home at Helmville for the last rites.
Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at the Dowling chapel with an old-time friend, Mrs. Rose Williams of Rygate giving the last tribute. Pallbeares were Otto and Dick Kent, Joseph Gaffney, Charles Clements, J.E. Dresel and Hugh MacMillan. Burial was in Riverview Cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, Thursday, June 23, 1938

December 16, 1868 - June 9, 1907
    Mrs. Minnie A. Jones, daughter of John A. and Polly Slack, after more than a year’s suffering from diabetes suddenly passed away Sunday morning, June 9, 1907, at Yuba City, Cal., where she was visiting relatives with the hope of regaining her health. She was accompanied by her aged mother, who also hoped to be benefited by the trip. They were just making arrangements to return to their home at Corvallis, when she was suddenly taken ill. Her mother realizing that the end was near immediately telegraphed the situation to the family at home. Jasper Slack, her son, by private conveyance reached Missoula in time to board the 11 o’clock west bound train Saturday night, but early Sunday morning about 10 o’clock Minnie passed to the land beyond. News of her death reached the family at home sometime later in the day. Jasper did not reach Yuba City until sometime Tuesday, starting back with her remains Thursday morning, reaching Corvallis Sunday evening. They were met at the station by many sorrowing friends who followed her remains to the home of her childhood.
    Mrs. Jones was born in Corvallis, Mont., Dec. 16, 1868, and united with the Christian church in Corvallis Feb. 1886 in a meeting held by the writer assisted by J.L. Phoenix, who at that time was located at Missoula. She was married to William C. Jones Sept. 19, 1887 and to this union were born two daughters, Bernice and Edna. Bernice dying in infancy. Her husband was called to his reward in 1891, and since that time she has remained a widow.
    She was 38 years and some months old at the time of her death. Her aged mother was the only member of the family that was with her when the end came. She was a devoted Christian, an obedient daughter, a loving sister and a kind and indulgent mother. She was patient and non-complaining during all her illness. She was cheerful when in society and tried to make it pleasant for those about her. She was a teacher of the infant class in the Christian Sunday school at Corvallis for many years. She loved the work and the class loved her. She was loved by all who knew her. She leaves a mother, sister, three brothers and one daughter to cherish her memory. Her consecrated life will live long in the minds of the people in this community.
    The beautiful casket in which her remains was laid away to rest was covered with beautiful flowers. The church also was beautifully decorated with all manner of flowers, which only bespeaks the high esteem in which she was held. The funeral services were conducted by the writer in the Christian church at Corvallis in the presence of a large audience who had convened to manifest their sympathy for the memory of her whose life they had known so well. 
The Western News, June 26, 1907


May 16, 1902 - May 15, 1932
Mrs. S. Jorgensen Passed Away at Hospital
Last Rites Held Tuesday Afternoon for Young Matron and Burial Was Made in Corvallis.
    Spotted fever claimed its first victim in the Bitter Root Valley this year with the death Sunday afternoon of Mrs. May McInnis Jorgensen at the Daly Hospital. Mrs. Jorgensen had never been inoculated with the preventive vaccine, but made a heroic fight to conquer the disease and until early Sunday was thought to have a fair chance for recovery. She was brought to the hospital from her home at Stevensville the previous Monday.
    Mrs. Jorgensen was born at New Freeport, PA, May 16, 1902. She came to the Bitter Root Valley with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.A. McInnis, six years later. The family settled in the West Fork district, southwest of Darby. Her marriage to Mr. Jorgensen took place there nine years ago. Three children, Evangeline and Wallace, twins, and Gerald survive with the husband, the parents, two sisters, and two brothers. The sisters are Mrs. James Erickson of Wenatchee, WA, and Miss Helen McInnis, and the brothers are Jack of Seattle, and Wallace of Hamilton.
    Last rites were held at the Dowling Chapel Tuesday afternoon, Rev. H.H. Longnecker delivering the sermon. The pallbearers were A.P. Nickel, G.F. Shook, and T.E. Milburn of Darby, and James Gage, W. Shriner, and Jack Lucas of Stevensville. Burial was in the Corvallis Cemetery, where other relatives rest. With the exception of the brother in Seattle, the relatives were all present at the time of Mrs. Jorgensen's death.
Ravalli Republican, May 19, 1932