Search billions of records on



1886 - October 11, 1964
Mrs. T. LaChambre Rites Were Today At St. Francis Church
    Rosary services Tuesday evening and requiem Mass at St. Francis Church this morning honored Mrs. Ted LaChambre who died suddenly of a heart attack at home Sunday. Father Frank Burns officiated at the rites and interment was in Riverview cemetery. Pallbearers were Harry Davis, Ned Kyle, Ralph Wheelbarger, Lester Lang, Walter Dezell and Gerald Quigley.
    Edith Mae Fleming was born in Burlington, Kansas, the daughter of Francis M. and Evelyn Fox Fleming. She had been a resident of Hamilton the past 12 years and had lived here at various times before that.
    Surviving beside the widower is a son by a previous marriage, Max Smith, Kansas City, Missouri; sisters, Mrs. Bill Whittecar, Hamilton, Mrs. Maude Cobb, Siloan Springs, Arkansas; Mrs. Laura Howell, Wilmington, California; Mrs. Verna Funk in Oklahoma; nieces and nephews.
The Western News, October 14, 1964


April 11, 1896 - January 12, 1952
    Funeral services were conducted at the Dowling Chapel in Hamilton Tuesday, January 15 for George A. Lairy, Corvallis resident who died at Fort Harrison Veterans Hospital January 12. Rev. Jesse Dove officiated and burial was made in Corvallis cemetery. Those serving as pallbearers at the funeral were: Steve Sheehan, Don Dresel, J.A. Bailey, clayton Warner, William Randolph, and Howard Boyar.
    George Arthur Lairy was born April 11, 1896 at Anson, Wisconsin, the eldest son of the late Bert and Frances Dresel Lairy, pioneer residents of Chippewa County, Wisconsin. He served in World War I.
    On August 24, 1922, he was married to Nellie Smithey in Hamilton. She survives him as does their daughter, Miss Frances Lairy, their son, Russell; and a granddaughter, Georgene Lairy, all of Corvallis. Others to survive are an aunt, Mrs. Fred Bailey, and an uncle, Jack Dresel, both of Hamilton; and the following brother and sisters: James Lairy, Cadott, Wisconsin; Mrs. James (Ann) McIlquahm, Mrs. Barbara Polzin, and Mrs. Clarence (Sabina) Nicoli, of Chippewa Falls, as well as a number of nieces and nephews.
Abstract from: The Western News, January 17, 1952

1885 - August 22, 1943
    Chester A. Lamoreux, 58, Stevensville, brother of G.W. Lamoreux, died Sunday following a long illness. Funeral services will be held Wednesday in Stevensville. Survivors include his widow, four sons, three daughters, and three brothers, most of whom live in Stevensville.
Ravalli Republican, August 26, 1943

April 24, 1891 - January 7, 1953
    Stevensville - Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Methodist Church for Victor Lamoreux, 61, Stevensville florist, who died Tuesday. He had been ill for about two months. Rev. A.D. Swarens will officiate. The body will be sent to Spokane for cremation.
    He was born on April 24, 1891, near Titonka, Iowa, and moved with his family to Britt, Iowa, where he was in the automobile business until he moved to Hamilton in 1926. He moved to Stevensville in 1930.
    Mr. Lamoreux is survived by his widow, Mae; three daughters, Mrs. Walter Kelly, Billings; Mrs. Ralph Steele, Seattle, Washington; and Mrs. Ralph Robinson, Stevensville; two sons, Kenneth, Los Angeles, California; and Keith, Stevensville; two sisters, Mrs. Ben Longbottom, Stevensville, and Mrs. William Hefner, Hamilton; two brothers, S.L., Stevensville; and J.W. Corvallis; six grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
Ravalli Republican, January 7, 1953

September 1867 - July 5, 1908
    Mrs. William Landon, of the west side, died at her home about 9 o'clock Sunday evening following an illness of several days with fever. She made a hard struggle for life and chances looked good for her recovery till a short time before her death.
    Mrs. Landon, whose maiden name was Nellie Fletcher, was born near Rushford, Minnesota, in Houston County in September 1867, and made that place her home till 1883 when she moved with her parents to Montana and located at Pioneer in the Deer Lodge valley. In November 1885, she was united in marriage to William Landon in Helena and after ten years more spent there, they moved to the Bitter Root valley and have since made their home on the ranch on the west side, making their residence in the valley 13 years, and at the time of her death, Mrs. Landon was 41 years and 10 months old.
    She leaves her mother, husband, and six children. Her mother, Mrs. J.E. Fletcher resides here, and her father died here several years ago. The surviving children are Mrs. Philip Wagner of Florence, and Misses Flora, Madge, Nellie, and Lile, the daughters and Robert William, the son, who reside on the ranch.
    Mrs. Landon was a woman of many friends as well evidenced by the large attendance at the funeral and the extensive floral offerings. She had many good traits of character and will still live in the memories of those who knew her.
    The funeral took place from the family home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. T.H. Martin, pastor of the M.E. Church officiating minister, and the remains were laid to rest in Maplewood cemetery.
Northwest Tribune, July 10, 1908

December 1, 1901 - April 26, 1944
    Willis Lloyd Langley died die to an accident in the woods yesterday afternoon while at work with his partner, Robert George Zeiler, on a logging job in the Camp Creek district.
    Zeiler is a resident of Hamilton. Lloyd Langley lived in the Charlos district. He is survived by his widow, the former Margaret Hughes. The deceased was born at Susanville, Oregon December 1, 1901 but had been a resident of the Bitter Root since 1919. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Langley, who reside on the old Solzberger place, northwest of Hamilton. Sisters and brothers who survive are Walter, Verne, Dave, George, Archie, Mrs. James Brickley, Mrs. Clarence Wentworth, Mrs. Normay Ray.
    The funeral services for Lloyd Langley will be held at the Dowling Chapel in Hamilton with interment in Riverview Cemetery. The date of the service is not now known and will not be determined until word is received from relatives on the coast. Rev. C.J. Taber will officiate at the rites.
Abstract from: The Western News, April 27, 1944    
March 16, 1898 - January 10, 1985
    Hobert Selmer Larson, 86, died Thursday morning in Missoula General Hospital of natural causes. He was born March 16, 1898 in Albert Lea, Minnesota, the son of Otto and Bendikka Larson. He was the seventh of 14 children and attended school in Taylor, N.D. where his father was a blacksmith. He married Sigrid F. Crooks October 16, 1923. She preceded him in death August 1958.
    Survivors include two sons, Warren Larson and daughter-in-law, Verna, of Dixon, and Charles Larson and daughter-in-law, Bettijane, of Missoula; six grandsons, four granddaughters, three great grandchildren and many nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be held Monday at 1:30 p.m. at Whitesitt Funeral Home in Stevensville. Burial is to follow at Sunset Memorial Cemetery in Missoula. Whitesitt Funeral Home of Stevensville is in charge of arrangements.                      
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, January 11, 1985

December 29, 1865 - July 11, 1929
Former Resident of Bitter Root Is Dead
    Word has been received here of the death from apoplexy of Harry Latchem July 11 at Shooting Creek, NC and the funeral held the following day, burial being made in Bethel Hill Cemetery, NC. News came as a sudden shock to relatives and friends of the deceased.
    Harry Latchem was born December 29, 1865 at Iberia, Missouri. About 40 years ago, he came to Montana, locating in the Bitter Root Valley, identifying himself with the lumber industry here, an occupation which he followed throughout his life. He operated various sawmills in many localities of the valley and was well and favorably known by a wide group of Bitter Rooters. He was married in Stevensville to Letitia Duncan. He was once a member of the Stevensville Masonic lodge.
    Since leaving here nine years ago, he together with W.O. Fisk, a former Hamiltonian, now located at Willets, NC, operated in California, Mexico, and North Carolina. Mr. Fish was with him when death came.
    The deceased is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Hugh Wylie, of Hamilton; a brother, Frank Latchem, also of this city; two sisters, Mrs. Porter Hayes of Missoula, and Mrs. Frank Danforth of Seattle, who have the sympathy of their friends in this hour of bereavement.
The Western News, July 25, 1929

1861 - 1923 
Alex Laven Passed Away Tuesday Evening and Funeral Was Held at Darby Yesterday
    Alex laven, a pioneer resident of the Bitter Root Valley, died Tuesday evening at 8:30 o’clock at the Hamilton hospital. Death resulted from influenzal meningitis, from which Mr. laven had been suffering for about two weeks.
    Mr. Laven was born in Sweden in 1861 and came to the United State when he was 18 years of age, making his home in Minnesota for several years. He came to Montana in 1887 and about 26 years ago took up a homestead in the West Fork country. Here he lived until the death of his wife, six years ago, when he sold the place to his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and mrs. Troy McKinney. Mrs. McKinney is his only surviving relative.
    Mr. Laven was a member of good standing of Bitter Root Encampment I.O.O.F., and of the Subordinate and Rebekah lodges at Darby.
    Funeral services were held under the auspices of the Odd Fellows at the Baptist Church in Darby yesterday afternoon, Rev. E. Clutterbuck delivering the sermon. Burial was made by the side of his wife’s grave in the Darby cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, January 12, 1923

September 6, 1860 -  July 7, 1936
Mrs. W.D. Lear Valley Pioneer Dies At Home
      Mrs. Alice Myers Lear died at her Corvallis home Tuesday evening following an illness of several weeks. She had been a resident of that community since 1883, coming with her missionary husband, Rev. W.D. Lear, from Moulton, Iowa. Her long residence here endeared her to everyone and her admirable character remained sweet and considerate to the last. For the past three years she has cared for her husband now past 90 years of age and a bedridden invalid.
      Two sons, James D. and Paul survive with the husband; two brothers W. R. Myers of Missoula and Robert B. Myers of Corvallis, and the sisters Mrs. Amy Frogge and Mrs. M. L. Chaffin of Corvallis, and Mrs. Sam Norton of Greensburg, Mo., are left.
      Mrs. Lear was born in Scotland, county, Mo., September 6, 1862. Her marriage took place at Millport in that state February 11, 1879. She was the mother of four children, a son and her only daughter dying in childhood.
      Funeral services will be held at 11 o’clock today at the Corvallis United church, Rev. H. H. Longenecker being in charge. Burial will be made in the Corvallis cemetery.
The Western News, March 20, 1936
June 14, 1846 - September 12, 1950
Nonagenarian Passes, Benjamin D. Lear Had Resided In Montana Since 1881; Burial At Corvallis This Morning
   Benjamin D. Lear, who had called Montana his home since 1881, died at the home of his nephew, James D. Lear, at Corvallis Tuesday afternoon. Although, he had been confined to his room for most of the past year, Mr. Lear had been able to move about until three days before his death. He was 93 years of age and had made his home with his nephew's family since August, 1936, following the death of his wife at their home in Deer Lodge.
    Mr. Lear was born at Louisville, Kentucky on June 14, 1846. He had farmed at Deer Lodge for several years, retiring a few years ago to live in that town. The Corvallis nephews, James and Paul Lear, were his only relatives and when Mrs. Lear passed away, the aged husband brought her body to Corvallis for burial and remained to end his days in the Bitter Root valley.
    Rev. T.B. Reagan of Corvallis conducted the services of the Methodist faith at the Dowling chapel at 10 o'clock this morning and the funeral cortege traveled to the Corvallis cemetery, where interment was made beside the graves of Mrs. Lear and the brother and sister-in-law, Rev. and Mrs. W.D. Lear, who were Corvallis pioneers.                                                                                                                                               
Ravalli Republican, September 14, 1939

June 23, 1883 - March 22, 1966
Rites Saturday For Mrs. J. Lear, Longtime Valley Resident
Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at Dowling chapel for Mrs. J.D. Lear, 82, of Hamilton, who died at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula Tuesday afternoon after a long illness. She had been hospitalized several times during the past year in Hamilton. Rev. Robert Sherwood will officiate and interment will be in Corvallis Cemetery. Pallbearers will be grandsons, Charles Shulund, Lynn Shulund, Ray Shulund, James Wheeler, Dennis Wheeler and John Lear.
    Katharin Mary Haines was born June 23, 1883 in Virginia City, daughter of Joseph I. and Aurelia Jane Haines. She received her teachers training at Dillon and taught her first school at Red Lodge. She was a teacher in the grade school at Corvallis when she met and later married James D. Lear September 6, 1909 at the Episcopal church in Virginia City. They made their home in Corvallis on the old homestead of his parents, Rev. and Mrs. W. D. (Alice) Lear. Mrs. Lear was active in community and church work, Womans club, Ladies Aid and Owego Garden club for many years. With the exception of approximately six years spent at Ennis, the couple lived at Corvallis until 1948 when they sold the ranch home and moved to Hamilton. In 1950, they moved to Havre where he worked with his son-in-law, Everette Shulund at the carpenter trade until they returned to their Hamilton home in 1962 Mrs. Lear kept an active interest in education and went to summer school at Northern Montana College at Havre and obtained her teacher’s life certificate when she was 73.
    Surviving Mrs. Lear beside her husband “Jamie” are sons Joseph, Hamilton; Paul D. Seattle; Gene E. Spokane; daughters Mrs. E. (Lois) Shulund, Missoula; Mrs. George (Alice) Wheeler of Hamilton; ten grandchildren and nine great grandchildren; half brothers John Haines in New Jersey, Will Haines in Florida, Sim Haines, Whitehall, Keith Haines, Livingston.
    Mrs. Lear’s parents were early settlers in Virginia City. Her father was sheriff for six years during Vigilante days. Her mother was the first white child born in Virginia City. The mother died when Katharin was born and most of her growing up years were spent with Mr. and Mrs. William Ennis, for whom that town was named. Mr. Ennis ran a freight line from Virginia City over the Norris Pass into Fort Benton. Mrs. Lear entertained her family in reminiscing of her childhood when her foster mother would hide her and her foster sisters and brothers from the Indians who pillaged the area and with stories of gold rush days in the early settlement of Montana were always fresh in her memory.
    Beloved by all who know her, “Kitty” Lear has a host of friends
The Western News, March 23, 1966

July 11, 1891 - March 10, 1954
Paul D. Lear, Valley Native, Passes; Rites Saturday Morning D.
   Funeral services for Paul D. Lear, 62, will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. in Dowling chapel with burial in Corvallis cemetery. The highly esteemed Corvallis farmer passed away at Daly hospital Wednesday night after being in a coma for two days. He had been seriously ill for some time.
    Rev. Jesse Dove of the Corvallis Community Church will conduct the services in the chapel and Masonic rites will be held at the graveside. Pallbearers will be: Ray Murphy, Dan Morris, Maurice Holloron, Dan Geiman, Edgar Puyear, and Troy McKinney.
    Paul Duncan Lear was born July 11, 1891 at Corvallis. His father was the Rev. William D. Lear, who passed away at the age of 92 in 1936. His mother was Alice Myers Lear, who preceded her husband in death by three months. They came to the valley in 1883 and remained here the rest of their lives.
    Except for brief trips and when he attended college, their son spent his entire, comparatively short life, in his native community. He was a member of the first graduating class of Corvallis High School in 1911. The school was so new that much of the work has done at Hamilton High School, but the diplomas were issued from Paul's home school.
    He attended Blair Business college in Spokane with Gilbert Chaffin, a cousin who was like a brother to him. On completion of his college work, he obtained a position with Reely's Transfer and Storage in Missoula for a time. Then he returned home to work in the old Corvallis bank.
    From there, he went to Hamilton and was cashier at the Valley Merc for a number of years. After he began to farm north of Corvallis, he spent 11 winters working in the county treasurer's office. He was also a clerk at farm auction sales for a long time. Paul Lear was a good farmer, especially liking the animals, and could be found working with them and giving them extra care as a sort of hobby.
    He was married to Claribel Haffele at her old home of Shullsburg, Wisconsin, December 8, 1916. Miss Haffele was a school teacher here when they met. One of Mr. Lear's activities during his single days was to travel with a carload of apples to the Dakotas and sell them by the box. In 1916 when he and Gilbert Chaffin sold apples in the Dakotas, Paul continued on to Wisconsin and was married.
    Paul Lear and Dud Bowden will always be remembered as Corvallis' first entries in the annual Ravalli county track meet. They copped third place for Corvallis in the first meet held at Victor in 1911, just on points they earned themselves.
    Paul Lear was one of those people whose accomplishments and activities are numerous and defy listing in a short time. He gave faithful and useful service in such organizations as the school board, fire department, Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance association, Corvallis Sportsmen's club. He was a past master of Corvallis Lodge No. 39 A.F. & A.M., a member of Corvallis chapter OES, and Corvallis Grange, and a past president of the Bitter Root 50-year club.
    To each group, he gave a large share of his time and talent. His passing is sincerely regretted, not only because of his unselfishness in labor, but his unselfishness with himself for he was a nice, friendly man. It has been said about Paul Lear that "Everybody liked him."
    Survivors include the widow, Claribel; their only son, Lee; two grandchildren; a brother, Jamie, Havre; uncle, Roy Myers, Missoula; an aunt, Mrs. Mose Chaffin, Corvallis.
The Western News, March 11, 1954

February 17, 1844 - October 11, 1936
    Rev. William D. Lear, pioneer minister of the Bitter Root valley, died early Sunday morning at his home on the outskirts of Corvallis. He was 92 years of age and had been an invalid for several years. His wife, Alice Myers Lear, preceded him in death a few months ago, July 7, 1936.
    The aged minister had been a resident of the Corvallis community for over fifty years and until recent years had been actively engaged in the work of the Christian Church. He was founder of the Corvallis, Stevensville, Florence, and Missoula churches, and for years after he retired from active work in the ministry, he was called upon to perform marriages and funeral rites for members of old-time families. His tow sons, James D. Lear and Paul, of Corvallis, survive with a brother, Ben Lear, who recently came to Corvallis from Deer Lodge to reside.
    Rev. Mr. Lear was born February 17, 1844 at Lancaster, Kentucky. His fathers was owner of a southern plantation and after his death the family moved to Missouri. His ordination as a Christian minister took place in that state in 1877 and his marriage to Alice Myers was an event of 1879 at Millport, Iowa. Coming west in 1880, he served the Christian charge at Helena and later founded the church at Corvallis. Ranching was varied with his ministerial work for most of his years at Corvallis.
    Funeral services were conducted by Rev. C.A. Sias of Hamilton at the Corvallis United Church Tuesday afternoon. The quartet rendition of hymns was given by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Price, and Mr. and Mrs. Dale Felix. Those to serve as pallbearers were Dean and Milford Cobb, Lee Simmons, Gilbert Chaffin, Lester Morris, and Charles Bourne. Burial took place beside the grave of Mrs. Lear in the Corvallis cemetery. The pioneer minister had once served Montana as chaplain of the state legislature.
The Western News, October 15, 1936

August 15, 1860 - June 17, 1938
    Fred J. Leavitt, one of Hamilton's best-known citizens, passed away Friday night at 10 o'clock following a week's illness that necessitated an emergency operation June 12. Mr. Leavitt had been on the streets the day previous to his sudden illness, which was due to an intestinal obstruction, and while it was known that his condition was extremely serious, hopes for his recovery were bolstered by his valiant fight to live.
    Mr. Leavitt was born at Toronto, Canada, on August 15, 1860, and his parents went from there to England in his early childhood, remaining until he was about 14 years of age. Sixty-two yeas ago he came to Montana, living first at Anaconda where for 15 years he was foreman at the smelter. Later he lived at Plains, and 35 years ago he came with his family to the Bitter Root section, settling on a ranch at the mouth of Sleeping Child creek. A few years ago he sold the ranch and has since lived on a place in the southeast of Hamilton. His personality was marked by a love of humor and rare qualities of friendship. Scores of Bitter Root Valley friends attended the funeral rites which were held Monday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock at the Dowling chapel.
    Rev. H.H. Longenecker was in charge of the services and the active pallbearers were S.A. Noland, H.C. Packer, A.J. Hork, H.V. Gilmore, John Kurtz, and B.W. Reimel. Honorary pallbearers were R.A. O'Hara, James Boyd, O.C. Cooper, John O. Lagerquest, W.A. Bower, Frank L. Burns, G.H. Stewart and A.H. Downing. Burial was made in Riverview Cemetery.
    Family members are Mrs. Leavitt, the daughters, Mrs. James Gilmore of Pendleton, Ore., Mrs. Wilbur See of Hamilton, and Mrs. Russell Iman of Woodside, and the son, Fred J. Leavitt, who arrived Monday from Salt Lake City to attend the funeral. The daughters were all with the father through his last illness. Mrs. Leavitt made a hurried trip home by plane from St. Louis, MO., where she was visiting when her husband became ill. Other relatives are the brothers, James, George, and Jack, and a sister, Mrs. Lotto Own, all living in England.
Ravalli Republican, Thursday, June 23, 1938

October 21, 1891 - April 23, 1984
Carrie Agnes LeCompte, 92, died Monday evening in Hamilton at the Valley View Estates. She was born on October 21, 1891 in Buffalo County, South Dakota, the daughter of Joe and Elizabeth Benton. As a young girl, she moved to Hamilton and was raised and educated here. On April 30, 1910, she married Joseph Jerome LeCompte in Hamilton. She had lived in Hamilton since. She was a life member of the Rebecca’s.
    Survivors include a sister, Mable McKillop of Hamilton; two nieces, Judy Draft of Detroit and Nancy Sokoloski of Hamilton; a great nephew, Alan Gill of Missoula; and tow great nieces, Carri Lynn Ellison of Helena and Michelle Sokoloski of Hamilton. She was preceded in death by her husband on May 16, 1970 and also by a son, two brothers, and a sister.
    Funeral service will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at the Dowling Chapel with the Rev. Robert Barnes officiating. Interment will follow at the Riverview Cemetery in Hamilton.
Ravalli Republic, April 25, 1984

May 19, 1912 - October 28, 1938
Young Darby Woman Laid to Final Rest Monday; Husband and Brother Died Recently
    Funeral services for Mrs. Opal Halford Lee took place at Darby Monday afternoon, Rev. H.H. Longnecker conducting the last rites at the Baptist Church. The pallbearers were Ward Hendrickson, Carl Strate, Walter Shook, Powell Siria, David DeLapp, and Clyde Thompson. The church was filled with friends of the young woman and her family. Mrs. Lee was 26 years of age and had been ill for several weeks, death coming Friday at the home of her sister, Mrs. Lief Aune at Darby.
    The young woman was a member of the William Halford family. She was born at Wagner, Oklahoma on May 19, 1912, coming to Darby as a child. Her husband, James Lee, died at Philipsburg June 29, and a brother, William Halford, was killed in a sawmill accident near Darby on February 28. Relatives to survive are the sisters, Mrs. Aune, Mrs. Nettie Simmons of Butte, and Mrs. Arthur Lundgren of Maxville, and the brothers, Vernon Halford of Florence and Ernest of Maxville. Interment was near the graves of her parents in Lone Pine Cemetery at Darby.
Ravalli Republican, November 3, 1938, page 1
March 6, 1891 - January 11, 1954
    Funeral services are pending for Mrs. Estelle Lennon, 63, who died this morning at Daly Hospital. She had been ill for a week.
    Mrs. Lennon was born March 6, 1891 at Vermillion, South Dakota, and came to Hamilton after the death of her husband in 1945. She had maintained a home here at 400 North Fourth Street, but his winter had been living at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Clarence Linster, north of Hamilton.
    Surviving are five sons, Gordon Lennon, Roseburg, Oregon; Robert Lennon, Canton, South Dakota; Danny Lennon, Selah, Washington; Joe Lennon, Great Falls; Wilmer Lennon, Reva, South Dakota; and two sisters, Mrs. Earl Hildebrandt, Roseburg, Oregon; and Mrs. Linster, and 12 grandchildren.     
Ravalli Republican, January 11, 1954

January 1, 1885 - July 3, 1957
    Mrs. G.W. LeSuer died Wednesday, July 3 about 12:30 p.m. Nellie Mae Billings was born in Edinboro, Erie County, Pennsylvania January 1, 1885. She married Grant W. LeSuer July 12, 1905. He died here December 10, 1943. They had come to the valley about 1909 from the eastern part of Montana.
    Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Herbert (Helen) Kress of Great Falls; a son, Andrew of Hamilton; sisters Mrs. Ella Pulling and Mrs. Hattie Sundback, both of Edinboro; a brother Harry Billings of Copalis Beach, Washington; nephew B.J. Billings in Missoula. Grandchildren are Miss Andrea LeSuer, Hamilton; Mrs. Bernie (Ardis) Bissel of Dillon; Mrs. Bill (Helen) Wilson of Stevensville and Mrs. Donald (Margie) Elliott of Dillon. There are eight great grandchildren.
    Funeral services will be Monday at 2 p.m. at Dowling Chapel with Rev. James Hasting officiating. Burial will be in Riverview Cemetery.                  
Abstract from: The Western News, July 4, 1957

Services were Tuesday for Old-Time Resident of valley; Nephews Came Here For Rites
    Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock at the Dowling Chapel for James Lewiston, aged man who passed away Friday at the Daly Hospital. Rev. C.R. Miller conducted the rites and interment was in Riverview Cemetery. Pallbearers were Andrew Peterson, A.B. Crawford, Clarence Hogue, P.L. Smaus, James P. Fitzgibbon and Charles Granke.
    Mr. Lewiston was 76 years of age and a native of Stoughton, Wisconsin. Had he lived until June 13, he would have reached his 77th year. He had been a Bitter Root valley resident for about 43 years and most of that time had been an employee of the Bitter Root Stock Farm. About two or three years ago, he retired from active work, but up until that time had been a ditch foreman. On August 13, last year, he suffered a broken hip in a fall at his home here and had since been confined to the hospital.
    He is survived by three nieces and three nephews, all residing at Alcester, South Dakota. Two of the nephews, Arthur and E.A. Lewiston, came here for the last rites, arriving Monday night. They will remain here for a few days while looking after business affairs.
Ravalli  Republican, January 28, 1937
February 22, 1915 - July 17, 1976
George Linn, 61, Former Resident Died July 17 in Oregon
    Funeral services will be held Friday at two o'clock for George Linn, 61, of Woodburn Oregon, who died from a sudden heart attack at Tualatin, Oregon July 17. Masonic graveside ritual will honor Mr. Linn. Interment will be in Riverview Cemetery.
    George Linn was born February 22, 1915 at Lane, South Dakota, son of Harry and Martha Boyes Linn. George was a millwright. His father died July 30, 1972 and his mother December 4, 1956. They are buried in Riverview cemetery. A sister, Wanda Lucille, died as an infant January 24, 1924 and a brother, Kyle Delroy died August 18, 1939 at the age of 21. The late Mrs. John (Inez) Kurtz, a longtime valley resident, was an aunt.
    George is survived by brothers Harold, Woodburn; Derrill, Helena; sister, Mrs. Willard (Genevieve) Sorenson, Missoula; nieces and nephews.
Abstract from The Western News, July 21, 1976, page 3
    Malissa Little, the infant daughter of Edward Little of Butte, died in that city yesterday morning and the remains will be brought to Stevensville today when they will be laid to rest in Maplewood cemetery beside those ot its mother who died about three months ago. The services will be held at the grave at 5 p.m. and Rev. C.L. Dennis will be the officiating minister.
Northwest Tribune, July 15, 1910

May 25, 1904 - April 10, 1994
    Effie L. Liudahl, 89, of Hamilton, died Sunday at the Valley View Estates. She was born on May 25, 1904 in Burr Oak, KS, the daughter of the late William and Bertha Lambert Reed. She moved to Columbus, Montana, with her family and was raised and educated there. On July 8, 1924, she married Clarence Neuman Liudahl in Livingston, MT.
    Survivors inslude two daughters and sons-in-law, Alice and Harry Uhde of Hamilton, and Evelyn and Adrian Burd of Lewiston, Idaho; one son and daughter-in-law, David and Patricia Liudahl of Kennewich, WA; 10 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren. She was also preceded in death by one brother and two sisters.
    Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Daly-Leach Chapel with Pastor Al Grissom officiating. Interment will be at 3 p.m. Friday at the City View Cemetery in Pasco, Washington.
    Visitation will be from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday at the Chapel. The family suggests memorials to the Assembly of God Church or to the Alzheimer's Research.
Extract from: Ravalli Republic, April 12, 1994

    Miss May Violet Lloyd, 19 years of age, died Friday evening at 7:15 p.m. at the home of W.C. Wells in this city. Miss Lloyd who was the niece of Mr. Wells, came here last November from Neilsville, Wisconsin, where she was born, on account of her health. She had been ill for many weeks before the end came. The body was taken east for burial Saturday.
The Western News, March 29, 1923

January 30, 1892 - March 1, 1981
Gomer Albert Lockridge, 99, died Sunday morning at Valley View Estates. He was born January 30, 1892 in Cowgill, Missouri, to David and Mary Lockridge. He was the 9th of 14 children. The family moved to Stevensville in 1901.
    He farmed for a short while before serving in World War I overseas. He married Helen Wheelbarger in Bozeman in June 1922. In 1925, they bought and moved to the Summerdale Ranch east of Corvallis, where they lived for 43 years.
    He is survived by his wife, Helen, of the family home in Corvallis, four daughters: Shirley Brown of Corvallis, Mary Kay Blacksten of Gooding, Idaho, Jeanne Eubanks of Littleton, Colorado, and Phyllis Palmer of Littleton, Colorado; one brother, Vilas Lockridge of Ucalpa, California; 10 grandchildren and nine great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by nine brothers and three sisters and one grandson.
    Funeral services will be conducted Thursday at 2:00 p.m. at the Dowling Funeral Home. Rev. Robert Lamphere will officiate. Interment will follow at the Corvallis Cemetery. Friends may call at the Dowling Chapel Wednesday evening from 7 until 9.
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, March 3, 1981

September 25, 1909 - January 10, 1985
    Former Stevensville resident, Charles E. Lockridge, 75, died of natural causes Thursday at his home in Highland, California. He was born September 25, 1909 in Stevensville, the youngest son of Henry V. and Florence Lockridge. He attended Stevensville schools and the Montana State University at Missoula and served in the Armed forces during World War II.
    Survivors include his wife, Margaret, of Highland, California, and two sons, Henry V. in California, and David Lockridge. No services are planned. The body has been cremated.                                                                                                       Ravalli Republic, January 14, 1985

May 5, 1895 - February 17, 1952
    Funeral services for Earl F. "Jop" Lockridge, 56, long-time valley resident who died in Daly hospital Sunday night will be conducted at 2 pm Wednesday in Dowling chapel by Rev. William C. Stearns. Burial will be in the Masonic plot in Riverview cemetery. Pallbearers will be David B. Tawney, H. Stanley Antrim, Edward O'Hare, Miles Romney, LeRoy Stratton, and Lee Metcalf, associate justice of the Montana Supreme Court.
    Survivors are his widow; sisters, Mrs. Lawrence Carpenter, Scobey, and Mrs. Beulah Smith, Bellflower, California; brothers, Gomer, Corvallis; Dayton, Stevensville; Ewin, Missoula; Everett, Modesto, California; Vilas, Long Beach, California; Leonard, Hood River, Oregon.
Extract from: Ravalli Republican, February 18, 1952

June 19, 1884 - September 4, 1916
Death of Mrs. Lockridge funeral Held Wednesday
Stevensville, September 5 - Mrs. Florence Mabel Lockridge, wife of Henry Lockridge, alderman from the second ward, died at the family home in Stevensville last evening. Mrs. Lockridge had been in ill health for several weeks, but it was known for only a short time that her condition was critical and for the past few weeks no hope had been entertained for her recovery.
    The funeral took place Wednesday from the Methodist Church, Rev. J.B. Parnall officiating. The services will be conducted under the auspices of Beulah Chapter No. 8, Order of Eastern Star, and interment will be made in Maplewood Cemetery.
    Mrs. Lockridge was a daughter of a pioneer Montana family, her parents, mr. and Mrs. W.M Franks being old settlers of the Bitter Root and Mrs. Lockridge is a native of the valley. She was born near Stevensville June 19, 1884, and most of her life has been spent in the valley. Besides her mother, she is survived by her husband, two daughters and two sons and Cyrus L. Franks and John W. Franks of this place are brothers.
Western News, September 8, 1916, page 1

Lockridge Rites are Held Here Tuesday P.M.
    The funeral services for Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lockridge, who were drowned in Flathead River, July 4th, were held here Tuesday of this week and it is stated by old residents of the community that it was the largest funeral ever held in Stevensville. The Federated Methodist church, which has a seating capacity close to 700 was crowded and many stood about the church yard, unable to gain admission. A conservative estimate of the number attending is 1000. This number was represented by people from all parts of the valley. Many were present from Missoula and Hamilton.
    Mr. Lockridge was one of the widely known and prominent business men of the locality. He had been activey engaged in business here for a number of years. His activities were along the line of buying and selling hogs and other stock, hay, and grain. He conducted custom feed mill here in connection with an extensive fuel business. Mr. Lockridge was interested in a number of enterprises among which was the local bank. He was on the board of directors of this institution and was also its vice president.
    Mr. Lockridge was born at Cowgill, Missouri, June 10, 1876. He came to Montana 28 years ago and in 1904 was married to Florence Franks. Four children were born to them, who are Charles, Virgil, and Olive Lockridge and Mrs. Floyd Ripki of Big Fork.
    Besides his children, he is survived by his father, David E. Lockridge; nine brothers, Dayton and Earl of Stevensville, Gomer of Corvallis, Ewan of Missoula, John of Belgarde, and Vilas and Leonard, Long Beach, Cal., Everett of Modesta, Cal., two sisters, Mrs. D.L. Carpenter of Stevensville, and Mrs. Clifford Smith of Bellflower.
    Mrs. Lockridge was born December 29, 1874, with most of her early life being spent in the states of Kansas, Michigan and Missouri. During the year 1892, she was married in Missouri to Louis Ball, of the two children born to them, Frank Ball of Los Angeles, survives. A number of years after the death of Mr. Ball, Mrs. Ball and Mr. Lockridge were united in marriage on February 5, 1919 in Stevensville. Other than her son, Mrs. Lockridge is survived by four half brothers, two brothers and two sisters.
    The funeral services were in charge of Reverend Wm Jay Richards, pastor of the Federated Methodist Church and he was assisted by the Reverend George Reed, of Forsyth, a former pastor here. A choir composed of David Lea, A.T. Porter, Mrs. Earl Whitesitt and Mrs. Claude Johnson, accompanied by Mrs. Mark D. Fitzgarrald, sang, and a vocal selection was given by Marlin Buxton, accompanied by Mrs. Fitzgarrald. Flower bearers were Mildred May, Lorna Longbottom, Nel Porter, Mrs. E. Tallent, Mrs. Theodore Carlson, Mrs. Clarence Hagen, Allen Wright, Marvin Porter, Tom Sullivan, and Earl Buck.
    Acting as pallbearers for Mrs. Lockridge were Dan and Tilden Ball of Spokane, Mallory Hooper, R.B. Robinson, R.M. Corley, A.J. Hoar, while Mr. Lockridge's pallbearers were H.J. St. John, John G. Howe of Hamilton, B.B. Lidden, George Kinneman, Dr. J.E. Porter, and W.P. Poindexter.
    Mr. and Mrs. Lockridge were both members of the Methodist Church and were among its substantial supporters. They were also both members of the Order of Eastern Star Lodge No. 28, A.F. & A.M.. Mr. Lockridge was also a 32 degree Mason and belonged to the order of the Mystic Shrine. The members of the two lodges marched in a body to the church and later accompanied the remains to Maplewood cemetery where they performed the burial ceremonies.
Northwest Tribune, Thursday, July 11, 1929

May 20, 1888 - July 20, 1929
Blanch Lockwood Dies After Long Illness
    Death beckoned from his earth all that was mortal of Blanch Lockwood about 10:15 Saturday night, bringing to a termination an illness of almost six months' duration, during which the deceased at all times fought bravely for life and happiness.
    Funeral services were held Tuesday at 2 o'clock from the Episcopal Church in Hamilton and interment was made in Corvallis Cemetery. Rev. Mitchell was in charge of the services.
    The deceased was a native of the Bitter Root Valley, having been born at Corvallis, may 20, 1888. She attended grammar and high school and grew to womanhood here, winning for herself, by her kind and happy disposition, the sincere friendship of scores of people.
    She was a member of the Philharmonic Society of Hamilton, of the Business and Professional Women's club, and a director of the Corvallis Cemetery Association. She possessed a beautiful voice which was the delight of many, an entertainment and wrought solace to many, a grieving heart in times of mourning, induced by the passing of dear ones.
    She is survived by her father, G.G. Lockwood, of Corvallis, a brother, O.S. Lockwood, of Corvallis; two sisters, Jessie Bourbonia, of Hamilton, and Mrs. H.N. Bertram, of Missoula; a niece, Mildred Bourbonia; a nephew, Gard Lockwood, and many, many friends.
The Western News, July 25, 1929, page 1

September 24, 1887 - February 28, 1976
Mrs. B. Lockwood Died Here February 28 At The Age of Eight-eight
    Mrs. "Boss" Lockwood, 88, is no more. one of the dearest ladies ever to live in the valley died at Valley View Estates February 28 at 11 a.m. Funeral services were held yesterday at Dowling Chapel with rev. Monroe Wilcox officiating. Interment was in Corvallis Cemetery beside the grave of her lade husband. Ritual of the Corvallis OES of which she was a charter member and past matron honored Mrs. Lockwood.
    Nellie Frances Boyer was born September 24, 1887 in Overton, Nebraska, daughter of Daniel and Mary Jane Beattie Boyer. She moved to Corvallis in 1896 with her family, attended school there and in Hamilton before attending state normal college at Dillon. She taught at Willow Creek, Birch Creek, and other Corvallis area schools. Her marriage to Ora Sumeril Lockwood took place at the family home on Willow Creek June 14, 1911.
    Surviving is a son, Gard, Hamilton; granddaughters, Mrs. J.B. (Linda) Anderson, Bogalussa, LA, and twins, Mrs. Charles (Sandra) Stibal, Roberts, Idaho and Mrs. Dan (Carla) Stokesberry, Tulsa, Oklahoma; seven great grandchildren. A brother, Howard Boyer, died May 26, 1957 and a sister, Mrs. Ed (Hazel) Gibbons, died April 16, 1973.
    Mrs. Lockwood's many friends will cherish her memory.
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, March 3, 1976

September 13, 1868 - June 18, 1893
Stevensville - On Friday, June 16, 1893, at 9 o'clock am, Mrs. Benjamin J. Long, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alex Mewatt, died after a brief illness. Mrs. Long was born at Salmon Creek, Sunbury county, New Brunswick, Canada, September 13th, 1868, and came to Montana with her parents about three years ago. She was a bright light in society and had a host of friends who will be deeply grieved to learn of her death.
    She leaves, besides her husband, a father, mother, sister, and two brothers to mourn her untimely taking away. They have the sympthy of the entire community in their hour of affliction.
    Her husband, who was at Clinton, not knowing of his wife's illness, had an uncontrollable desire to return home, and upon arriving found her dangerously ill with rheumatic fever. Although all that could be done by the aid of medicine and attentive friends, was brought into requisition, she lingered only eight days. Dr. Hanbidge of Victor, was in attendance, assisted by Dr. Buckley of Missoula.
    She was married to Mr. Benjamin J. Long about ten months ago. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. M.L. Rickman (on Saturday, June 17th) who being personally acquainted with the deceased and knew her to be a Christian, spoke with much feeling and deep emotion, taking for his text, Romans, viii:18.
    Notwithstanding the depopulated condition of Curlew camp, a large number of friends assembled to do honor to the respected dead, besides quite a number were in waiting at the cemetery. All available teams were arranged in the funeral procession, being thirty-seven in number. The pallbearers were Messrs. Lee Johnston, Charles Scribner, David Lindsey, Wesley Haines, David McIntyre, and Nord Johnston. Deceased was buried in Victor cemetery, by the side of Mr. Long's brother, who died at Curlew about a year ago.                                                                                                                          
Northwest Tribune, June 23, 1893

January 15, 1894 - September 18, 1962
    Marvin B. Long, 88, died of a stroke Saturday, September 18, at Valley View Nursing Home in Hamilton He was born January 25, 1894 in Marceline, Missouri, to William and Olive Benner Long. The family came by covered wagon to eastern Montana in 1914, and to the Bitterroot in 1924.
    He married Maude Johnson in Glasgow on March 8 1924. She preceded hi in death in June 1959. Marvin owned the Valley Egg Company in Hamilton from 1939 to 1951. He was an avid fisherman and hunter. He served in World War I and was an active member in the Masonic Lodge and a worthy patron in Eastern Star. he also belonged to the United Methodist-American Baptist Federated Church.
    Survivors include a daughter, Margaret Ward and a son, Bud Long, both of Hamilton; two brothers Norman Long of Hamilton and Joe of Coeur de Alene, Idaho; two sisters, Almetia Skeels of Missoula and Ruby Miritz of Hamilton; two granddaughters and numerous nieces and nephews.
    Graveside services will be held Tuesday at 10 a.m. at Riverview Cemetery with the Rev. Edwin Dover officiating. The family suggests memorials to either the Eastern Star or a charity of the donor’s choice.
Ravalli Republican, September 20, 1962

December 22, 1894 - June 29, 1959
Mrs. Marvin Long Died Monday After Short Illness
    Funeral services Thursday morning at 10 o’clock will honor the memory of Mrs. Marvin Long, loved Hamilton matron who died Monday, June 29 at Daly hospital following about a month’s illness. She suffered a stroke at her home and was admitted to the hospital June 1. Rev. Lawrence Nelson prepared the service for the rites and interment will be in Riverview cemetery here. Pallbearers: H.A. McCullough, Ed Harbison, Lyle Rasmussen, Harry Stevenson, Robert Anderson and Ed Dye.
    Maude Julia Johnson was born December 22, 1894 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the daughter of Charles and Linda Johnson. She moved with her parents to Michigan City, ND in 1901, moved to Wisconsin in 1908, and returned to North Dakota in 1910 where she lived until she married Marvin B. Long at Glasgow March 8, 1924 and they came to the bitter Root in 1925. Mrs. Long was a member of the Hamilton Federated church and the Order of Eastern Star, Leona chapter No. 31.
    She is survived by her widower; a daughter Mrs. Earl (Marjorie) Rodgers, Sacramento, Calif., and son Merle (Bud) Long of Hamilton sisters Hattie Langstaff, Sacramento, Calif., Mrs. George (Myrtle) Harbaugh, Hamilton, Mabel Nelson, Spokane, Alice Tollerud, Richmond, Calif., Ethel Schroeder, Seattle; brothers Peter Johnson, Lakota, ND, Carl of Mapes, ND, Roy of Hamilton and Harry of Aberdeen, South Dakota.
    Mrs. Rodgers came to Hamilton when her mother was stricken, returned to her home when she seemed improving and came back to Hamilton again when death came. All of the brothers and sisters and some of their families came for the rites except Peter. Members of the OES attended the services in a body.
The Western News, July 2, 1959

January 18, 1908 - February 27, 1928
    Death came as a relief to John N. Lookerse, a young man who had been in poor health for five years with Bright's disease, at the Hamilton hospital Monday afternoon. He was born at the parental home west of Hamilton January 18, 1908, and up to the time he was able to attend school, was a member of the sophomore class of the Hamilton High School. He reluctantly relinquished his studies on the advice of his physician.
    Besides his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Lookerse, he is survived by eight sisters and three brothers, who have the sympathy of many friends in their bereavement.
    The funeral will be held at the Presbyterian Church this afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. J.C. Irwin officiating, and interment will be in Riverview cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, March 1, 1928

January 20, 1899 - May 12, 1954
    Funeral services will be conducted tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Dowling chapel in Hamilton in tribute to Finetta Lord, wife of Herbert Watson Lord. Mrs. Lord passed away at Daly Memorial Hospital about 2 o'clock Wesnesday morning, May 12, following an illness which took her to the hospital April 8.
    Rev. Harry A Soloos will officiate at the services where the pallbearers will be: G.F. Shook, Alvin House, William Wetzsteon, Barton Smith, Theo. Sherrill, and George Vogt. Interment will be made in the family plot in Sula cemetery.
    Finetta McLaughlin was born January 20, 1878 at Gravette, Arkansas. The surviving sons, who join their father to mourn the passing of Mrs. Lord, are Gilbert of Yuba City, California and George Raymond of the home place on Warm Springs creek. Other survivors include eight grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. Also surviving are two brothers. They are Wiley McLaughlin, Yuba City, California and Tom McLaughlin, who lives in Oklahoma.
Abstract from: The Western News, May 13, 1954

Mrs. George Luderman Is Called By Death
Last services were held yesterday for Mrs. George Luderman, 63, who died in Missoula Monday. The funeral was held from the Dowling Mortuary Chapel and interment was made in Riverview Cemetery. Rev. H.H. Longnecker was in charge of the services. The deceased is survived by two sons: Fred and D.W. The deceased was born in California and came to Montana and the Bitter Root, residing at Hamilton and Woodside for many years.
The Western News, June 13, 1929

July 6, 1858 - May 11, 1941
Joseph Luallin Taken By Death
    Funeral services for Joseph Matthew Luallin, 82, were held Saturday afternoon from the Dowling chapel, the Rev. Earl Saladen officiating. Burial was in the Corvallis cemetery. Pallbearers were C.E. Hartley, A.L. Johnston, A.F. Hobbs, Fred Bernatz, S.A. Wheeler, CJ. Carlstrom.
    Mr. Luallin died Thursday of old age and complications. He was born July 6, 1858 at Hartfield, Missouri, and came to the Bitter Root more than 19 years ago. He was a farmer and at one time was employed by the Bitter Root Stock Farm.
    Survivors include a son, John, Hamilton Heights rancher; sons, Floyd, Seattle and Irs, San Lorando, California; daughters Mrs. William Crane and Mrs. William Freeze in California, and Mrs. E.M. Peek, Wenatchee, Washington, and a sister, Mrs. Filmore Caple, Hamilton.
Ravalli Republican, May 29, 1941

August 3, 1904 - April 8, 1987
    Ralph L. Luke, 83, died Wednesday afternoon at Valley View Estates in Hamilton. He was born August 3, 1904 in Enfield, Conn., the son of David and Louisa Schwartz Luke, and he was raised and educated in Connecticut. As a young man, he moved to Boston, Mass., where he met, and on Mary 4, 1926, married Olive E. Bingham. He worked several years in Boston. The couple moved to Hamilton in April of 1979 to be near their daughter, where they have since resided.
    Survivors include his wife, Olive, three daughters, Thelma Sorenson of Hamilton, Pearl Herselman of Ethiopia, and Edith Johansen of Hyde Park, Mass; a son, Willard Luke of Washington, PA, 16 grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a brother.
    Services will be conducted Monday at 2 p.m. at Daly-Leach Chapel with the Rev. Roland Reed officiating. Cremation will take place in Hamilton.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, April 10, 1987
October 17, 1923 - February 23, 1943
    Doris Lyndes, 20, died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Otis Lyndes, Tuesday afternoon shortly after being released from the hospital where she recently underwent an operation for appendicitis.
    Miss Lyndes was born October 17, 1923 at the Lyndes ranch south of Hamilton. She graduated from Hamilton High School in 1941 and spent a year in kindergarten work before enrolling in Dillon Normal School last fall. At normal school, whe was captain of the volley ball team, member of the Women's Athletic Association, Kampus Kadets, a pep club, and the Foreign Relations club. She became ill about two weeks ago and returned home February 14.
    Besides her parents, she is survived by a twin sister, Dorothy, who is in nurses training in Great Falls; and sisters, Margaret and Mrs. Leona Likes, both of Hamilton. Dorothy arrived Tuesday night, being met in Missoula by her uncle, Harry Boozer.
Ravalli Republican, February 25, 1943

    Andrew W. Lyne, for 26 years a resident of the Bitter Root Valley, died at his ranch home north of Darby about 10 o'clock yesterday morning from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. That was the verdict of the coroner's jury summoned yesterday afternoon to inquire into the cause of his death.
    Alcoholic depression is believed to have been the cause of Mr. Lyne's rash act. He had been drinking for more than a week. He was only a periodical drinker, but while on a spree, he suffered severely.
    Lyne shot himself through the heart with a .30-.30 Winchester rifle while sitting on a bunk in the granary near his house. While drinking, he was accustomed to sleep in a tent near the house at night and in the granary in the daytime. The bullet entered the left breast, passed through the heart, and, ranging upward, came out under the left shoulder. After passing through Lyne's body, the soft-nosed bullet perforated the board wall of the granary and sang through the air nearly half a mile distant.
    Virgil Moore, who was working for Lyne on the D.D. Nicholson ranch, heart the bullet whiz though the air overhead 60 rods from the house. He was in the road going to the house to see Lyne. Moore went to the granary and called, but receiving no response, he went to the house and saw Mrs. Lyne, who returned with him to the granary. When her husband failed to answer, Mrs. Lyne started to rouse him by shaking him, ut discovered the blood on his clothes, which, with the rifle at his side, told the tale. She had previously heard the report of the gun, but thought nothing of it.
    Lyne's suicide was evidently premeditated. The gun with which he shot himself was always kept in the house, but Wednesday night he apparently took it from its accustomed place over the door, although his wife did not miss it.
    Coroner R.W. Getty was notified of the suicide yesterday morning and left shortly after 1 o'clock for the Lyne home. He impaneled a jury consisting of A.F. Hobbs, Sam Lowman, John Logan, Dr. L.W. Day, E.W. Akin and S.S. Henault, who, after hearing a number of witnesses, returned the verdict given above.
    "Andy" Lyne would have been 41 years of age November 15 next. He ws born in Elko, Nevada, and came to the Bitter Root 26 years ago. D.D. Nicholson brought his family here from Butte through the Big Hole. The family settled at Corvallis and lived there for many years. For the last 10 years, Mr. Lyne has lived near Darby. Of late years, he has engaged in farming, but formerly he worked much of the time as a stationary engineer.
    He is survived by a wife and two small sons, aged 6 and 4, and by two sisters, Mrs. Bray Wiley and Mrs. Dairy Krout of Corvallis. The funeral was held at Darby this afternoon.
The Western News, August 13, 1913, page 1

Died: At Corvallis at 5 o'clock a.m. Saturday, June 18th, 1892, Miss Emma Lyne, aged 21, step-daughter of D.F. Allen. The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian Church on Suday following, after which the interment took place at the cemetery near the village.

    Joseph Lyne, aged ten, died Christmas night at the home of his widowed mother, Mrs. Lucy Lynd. Heart desease was the cause of death, following a protracted illness. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon, Rev. Chas. Rhodes conducting the service. Interrment was made in Darby cemetery. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of the community.
The Western News, December 28, 1916 , page 1