Search billions of records on



February 21, 1897 - February 4, 1975
    Rosary is being said this evening at Dowling Chapel for Mrs. E.R. Macdonald, 77, longtime valley attorney who died February 4 early in the morning at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula. Requiem Mass will be said Thursday at 10 a.m. at St. Francis Church with Father James Burns as celebrant. Interment will be in Riverview cemetery.
    Geraldine O'Hara was born February 21, 1897 in Hamilton, a daughter of Robert A. and Frances Hughes O'Hara. Her marriage to E.R. Macdonald took place September 27, 1940 in Reno, Nevada. Her husband died October 14, 1964. Mrs. Macdonald is survived by sisters, Roberta Hart, Metuchen, N.J.; Mrs. Mary Bulzerin, Spokane; nephews and nieces. Pallbearers will be Clare Conroy, M.L. Miller, Larry Persson, Barry Persson, Jerry Bates, and Don McKenna.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, February 5, 1975

August 16, 1904 - June 12, 1977
Mace, a 65-year resident of Ravalli County, died Sunday morning in her home in Hamilton. She was 72. Born august 16, 1904 at Sioux Falls, SD. She moved to Corvallis with he parents in 1912.
    She married Earl Mace July 16, 1924 and the couple ranched in the Three Miles area northeast of Stevensville until last September when they  moved to Hamilton. Mrs. Mace was a member of the Hamilton Golden Age Club, the American Association of Retired Persons and the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints.
    Survivors include her husband, Earl, Hamilton; a son, Walter, Missoula; two sisters, Edna Brown, Anaconda, and Mildred Birck, Shellyville, Ind.; five grandchildren, and three great grandchildren.
    Funeral services will be at 21 pm Wednesday in the Dowling Chapel. Burial will be in the Corvallis Cemetery.
Ravalli Republic, June 13, 1977

November 12, 1859 - November 12, 1932
Mrs. J.F. Mace Had Lived Seventy-Three Years
Funeral of Well Known Woman Held at Hamilton Presbyterian Church Last Tuesday
    Victor, November 16 - Mrs. Eugenia Mace, wife of James F. Mace Sr., died suddenly Saturday evening at her home here. She had complained of ill health during the day and remained in her room, but ws no considered seriously sick. As the family was taking places at the supper table, a sound from the sick room turned the attention of a granddaughter who hurried to the beside only to find that the aged woman had passed away. Mrs. Mace died on her 73rd birthday. She had been a resident of western Montana since 1909, living most of that time in the Hamilton community. Three years ago Mr. and Mrs. Mace moved to victor.
    Mrs. mace was a native of Pierson, Iowa, and lived there until the move to Montana. She is survived by her husband, a daughter, Mrs. M. Locke in California, and six sons, Howard of Bonner's Ferry, Idaho; John Jr of Washington, D.C.; Ezra, Orville and Thomas Mace of Missoula, and a brother and a sister in eastern states.
    Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church in Hamilton Tuesday afternoon by Rev. J.C. Irwin. The Hamilton Rebekah lodge, of which Mrs. Mace was a member, paid honor to her memory at the grave in Riverview Cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, November 17, 1932, page 8

February 25, 1858 - March 24, 1943
Death Takes Early Resident of Valley
    James Franklin Mace, 85, who died Thursday morning in Missoula, first came to the Bitter Root in 1877 by ox team and was involved in several battles with Indians.
    He was born February 25, 1858 in Nebraska and came to montana through the Black Hills of south Dakota. It was there, at the age of 19, that he first fought the Indians. Later he was driven out of the Bitter Root by the Indians, his group moving to Provo, Utah. Mace sold his ox team there and went to Lexington, Nebraska, but returned to the Bitter Root in 1904, buying a farm near here.
    He went to work for a lumber company in Missoula in 1914. In 1918 he lost an arm in an accident and returned to his valley ranch, living there until about a year after his wife died in November 1932. Since 1933 he has made his home with son, Ezra, in Missoula.
    He was a member of the Masons and odd Fellow lodges of Hamilton.
    Beside Ezra, he is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Vera Locke, Santa Ana, California; sons, James, Washington, D.C; O.A. and Thomas L. also of Missoula; J.A. Tacoma, Washington; and Harold R., Bonner's Ferry, Idaho; sisters, Mrs. Catherine Spokesfield, Bloomfield, Missouri; 18 grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
    The Rev. C.R. Miller conducted funeral services in the Dowling Chapel at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Burial was in Riverview cemetery. Pallbearers ere Moses Humble, Thomas Dunbar, Elmer E. Stone, Homer Benson, H.V. Gilmore, and William Pasche.
Ravalli Republican, April 1, 1943

April 2, 1879 - December 7, 1948
DEATH: Carl E. Magni, an invalid for nearly four years, died during his sleep at his South Third Street home early Tuesday morning. His death was discovered by Mrs. Magni about 6 AM and a physician said the man had died an hour earlier. Mr. Magni was born at Safsjo, Sweden, April 2, 1879 and when seven years old was brought to the  United States by relatives along with younger brother, Gus. They joined their Father, Nels Magni, in Nebraska, and the older brother and sister, Emil and Anna who had come the previous year. The Mother had died in Sweden. The father brought his family to Corvallis, Montana in 1887 and the family home was there for several years. Carl Magni lived in that community until his marriage to Elsa Strange Magni in December, 1918. Their home has been in Hamilton for all of their 30 years together. Mr. Magni was a painter and paperhanger by trade and his work was known through out the Bitter Root Valley. He is also survived by the two brothers Gus and Emil at Santa Barbara, California; a niece Mrs. Charles Shaw of Orcutt, California, a stepson, Gene Manis, in Costa Rica and a stepdaughter, Mrs. Wm. Gannon, formerly Beth Manis at Seattle.
Western News, December 7, 1948
Contributed by Georgiann Dayton

February 18, 1881 - December 11, 1971
    One of the Bitter Root's eldest native daughters, Elsa A. Magni, responded to the call of death Saturday, Dec. 11th 1971 in Seattle where she had resided in recent years with her daughter, Beth Manis Gannon. She had attained the rich age of 90 years having been born February 18, 1881 in the Etna district east of Victor the daughter of the late William Allen & Elizabeth Wood Strange.
    Funeral services were held early this afternoon at the Dowling chapel with Father C. Arthur Latta officiating. Thereafter burial was made in Corvallis cemetery beside the grave of her late husband, Carl Magni, who passed away Dec. 7, 1948. Pall bearers were Ben Nichols, Bill Strange, Wayne Dayton, William Reimer, Clare Conroy and Harry Stevenson.
    Elsa Strange grew to womanhood in the district east of Victor attending school at Etna and Willow Creek. She was really one of the early inhabitants of the valley and was widely known and highly respected. She was married to Oscar Manis Nov. 14, 1906. The couple lived in Stevensville, Missoula and Lewistown. In the later community he operated an International Harvester business. The couple became parents of two children, W.E. Manis and Beth Manis. Mr. Manis passed away July 15, 1913.
    In Corvallis on Dec. 18, 1918 she was married to Carl Magni a painting and decorating contractor. The couple resided in Hamilton for many years until his death. She continued to make her home in Hamilton until 1956 when she moved to Seattle. Mrs. Magni had for several years been in failing health prior to her passing. She was an active member of the St. Paul's Episcopal church in Hamilton and was a member of Leona chapter No.31 OES.
    The survivors are her children Beth Gannon, who came here from Seattle for the last rite, and the son W. Gene Manis. His home is in Miami, Fla. but he is presently on an assignment in the Orient. Other survivors are Mrs. Norris (Virginia) Nichols, a niece and Morris Strange, a nephew. There are also three grandsons, Will, Steve and Andy Manis. Steve was here for the funeral. He is a student at the University of Montana at Missoula.
Contributed by Georgiann Dayton

May 20, 1913 - July 29, 1978
Wallace Manis dies
    A former valley resident, Wallace Gene Manis, died July 29 in Gainesville, Florida following a lengthy illness. He was 65. He was born on May 20, 1913 in Lewistown and was the son of Elsa Alice (Strange) and Wallace Oscar Manis. His mother was a stevensville woman.
    He attended school in Hamilton, graduating from Hamilton High School in 1931 and from the University of Montana in Missoula in 1935. He received a masters in botany from the University of Michigan in 1936. He worked as a research botanist for the Firestone Company in the area of West Africa, Brazil, Costa Rica and Columbia prior to his marriage to Rosemary Vaughn Linstrom on August 20, 1949. He then worked as a research botanist for the U.S. government and lived in Costa Rica, Ceylon, Nigeria, Africa, Washington D.C., Thailand and finally Florida.
    He is survived by his wife, three sons, Will, Steve and Andy, all living in Gainesville, Florida; and a sister, Beth Manis Gannon of Freeland, Washington.
    Memorials can be sent to the art department at the University of Florida in care of rosemary Manis, 724 NW 40th Terrace, Gainesville, Florida 32607
Ravalli Republican, August 3, 1978

November 10, 1871 - July 18, 1913
    News came over the wire, Wednesday morning of the death of Mr. W. Oscar Manis at Livingston at 7:30 AM after a short illness with pneumonia. Mr. Manis was well known to the people of Western Montana, having lived at Missoula for a number of years when he worked in the Implement Department of the Missoula Mercantile Co. Later he, George Kain and John W. Price formed a partnership and sold goods in the old M.M. Company building. After a time they formed a partnership with others and formed the Trading Company from which he withdrew some two years ago and went over to Lewistown, Montana to handle machinery for the International Harvester Co. doing business there. Mr. Manis married Miss Elsie Strange about seven years ago and they lived in Missoula, Stevensville and Lewistown. They built the handsome dwelling in which Mr. and Mrs. Abe Buck live in in this town. They sold it to them after going to Lewistown to live. Mr. Manis was about 38 years old, and much respected by all who came in contact with him. He was a man of decided opinions and dared to support them. Very little could be learned here yesterday of Mr. Manis 'death, but it was understood that the funeral will be held in or near Lewistown today. Wm. and Gibbon B. Strange, father and brother of Mrs. Manis have gone to Lewistown by train and will be there until after the funeral.
Northwest Tribune, Stevensville, Montana , July 18, 1913

"Wallace Oscar Manis died of pneumonia in his apartment in the Broadway Hotel. He had become widely and favorably known as the local representative of the International Harvester Company. Burial was in the Lewistown Cemetery." (From the Fergus County Argus of Lewistown) The deceased was born at Spring Place, Georgia, November 10, 1871. His parents moved from there to Kingston, Tennessee, when the deceased was eight years old and at which place he spent the greater part of his boyhood days. In March, 1898, he came to the Gallatin County, Montana. He was married to Elsa Strange of Stevensville, November 14, 1906 and came to Lewistown in July 1911, where he and family have lived since. The family consists of the widow and two children; a little girl about four years and a baby boy of two months."
    Mrs. W.O. Manis and children, arrived Sunday morning and are at the Strange ranch south of Stevensville. They were accompanied on the trip home to the Etna area by William and Gibbon B. Strange, father and brother of Mrs. Manis, who went to Lewistown to attend the funeral of Mr. Manis who died there last week."
Northwest Tribune, July 25, 1913
Contributed by Georgiann Dayton

December 23, 1909 - September 30, 1989
    Victor G. Marquez, 79, formerly of Corvallis, died September 30 at Reno, Nevada. He was born December 23, 1909 at Torreon, Mexico, the son of Felix and Santos Marquez. he emigrated to the United States in 1924 and then moved to the Bitterroot Valley in 1927. In 1940, he moved to Butte where he was employed in the Butte mines for 25 years. Following retirement, he returned to the Bitterroot where he managed the Corvallis laundromat until moving to Reno in 1988. He enjoyed fishing and traveling.
    Survivors include a daughter, Vickie Smith, Sparks, Nevada; two granddaughters and a grandson as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
    Cremation has taken place and a memorial service will be at the Corvallis Cemetery, Wednesday, October 18 at 2 p.m. with the Rev. Keith McNeil officiating. Local arrangements are under the direction of the Dowling Funeral Home.
Ravalli Republic, October 16, 1989

Skalkaho Woman Buried This Morning Following Services at St. Francis Catholic Church
    Mrs. Ruby Marvin, wife of John marvin, Skalkaho rancher, died at the Daly hospital Monday morning following a brief illness. She had been a patient at the hospital but a few days. Mrs. Marvin, a native of Australia, was 47 years of age and the mother of three sons and two daughters. The daughters are Mrs. Howard Sanford and Miss Helen Marvin, and the sons are John Jr, Joseph and Rudolph. All are residents of the Skalkaho locality except Mrs. Sanford, whose home is in Hamilton. The family came to the Bitter Root valley from Butte about ten years ago.
    Funeral services were held this morning at 10 o’clock at St. Francis Catholic church by Rev. M.J. Donohue. Burial was in Riverview cemetery. Mrs. Marvin’s death came as a distinct shock to her many friends of the Skalkaho district.
Ravalli Republican, December 7, 1933

Baby Mason
The infant daughter of Alva Mason of Grantsdale died Monday. The mother passed away April 18, when the baby was but a week old. The funeral was held at Grantsdale yesterday afternoon. Mr. Mason has the heartfelt sympathy of many friends.
Western News, May 13, 1908, page 8

December 10, 1870 - June 4, 1934
Bruce Mason Sr. Victim of Miners' Ailment.
Military Rites to be Held at Dowling Chapel This Afternoon for Spanish War Veteran.
    Bruce Mason Sr, Spanish-American War veteran and a former Butte miner, died at his home near Grantsdale early Monday morning of a heart attack. Mr. Mason had been ailing for several years with miner's consumption, but had been about his place apparently in usual health. He came to the Grantsdale community about three years ago from Butte where he had lived until December 10. His wife, Anna, and son Bruce live at Grantsdale. Two other sons, Amos and Edward, live in Butte. A sister, Mrs. Mary Dean, and a brother, Louis, live in Butte, while a sister, Mrs. Emma Doran, and two brothers, Jonas and Amos, live in Indiana.
    Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Dowling chapel, Rev. R.H. Barrett to be in charge. Spanish-American war veterans will act as pallbearers and military honors will be accorded Mr. Mason's memory. Burial will be in Riverview Cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, 7 June 1934, page 1

July 21, 1865 - December 16, 1899
Death of Chester L. Mason.
    The Republican has received the following from Cufrum, Idaho, in relation to the death of Chester L. Mason, a former Bitter Root Valley boy, who died there a week ago last Saturday.
    "On last Saturday, at 11:30 a.m., Chester L. Mason, who for the past three weeks has been a sufferer from catarrh of the stomach, quietly passed to the other shore, where sorrow and suffering do not come. Everything that was in the power of human skill was done, but to no avail. During the two years of his residence here, Mr. Mason has by honestly and industry built up a flourishing business, and won a host of friends who sincerely regret his death. The remains were taken to Weiser where they were prepared for shipment to the home of his parents at Grantsdale, Montana. Mrs. Mason's many friends here deeply sympathize with her in her great bereavement.'
    The remains of Mr. Mason, in company with his wife, and wife's mother, arrived in Grantsdale December 14th, and on the 15th funeral services were held at the parents' residence, where many sorrowful friends, in love and sympathy, came to pay their last tribute to the dead, and accompanied the remains to their final resting by the side of his two brothers and sister at Grantsdale.
    Chester L. Mason was born in Butler County, Iowa, July 21, 1865, and was married to Miss Nellie Adams of Minnesota, April 24, 1888. He leaves a wife, wife's mother, two brothers, and sister to mourn his death.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, 22 December 1899, page 3

June 13, 1877 - April 20, 1908

Untimely Taking Away of a Resident of Grantsdale Early Monday Morning.
    Mrs. Effie Mae Mason, wife of Alvah Mason, died at her home in Grantsdale early Monday morning after a brief illness. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Corintha King, and had been a resident of Grantsdale for several years.
    The deceased was born in Todd County Minnesota, June 13, 1877. In April 1901, she came with her parents to Grantsdale. She was married to Alvah Mason, March 20, 1903, and was the mother of two children. They are Norma, Four years old, and a baby, nine days old. Besides the husband and children, Mrs. Mason is survived by their parents. two sisters, and three brothers.
    The funeral was held Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock by Rev. Thomas H. Barker of the Hamilton Methodist Episcopal Church and the body was interred in the Grantsdale Cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, April 24, 1908, page 1

July 20, 1836 - June 9, 1906
Passed Away at Boise, Idaho, and the Body Brought Here for Burial at Grantsdale Yesterday.
    The remains of Leander Mason, who died at Boise, Idaho, June 9, arrived in Hamilton Wednesday night, and the funeral held yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the Grantsdale Presbyterian Church, Rev. J.A. Meek, pastor of the Hamilton Methodist Church officiating. The deceased was 69 years old, having been born in Illinois July 20, 1836. He came to Montana in 1880 and located on a ranch two and one-half miles south of Grantsdale, where he lived until three years ago, when he went to Idaho. He had only been sick thirteen days and the cause of death was diagnosed as cancer of the stomach. He is survived by three children, all of whom were present at the funeral. They  are Alva and M.H. Mason, and Mrs. L.B. Hale of Cottonwood, Idaho.
Ravalli Republican, 22 June 1906, page 1

 January 23, 1886 - February 6, 1978
    Rue Florence Hart Matteson died Monday in Hamilton. She was 92. Born January 23, 1886 in Venita, Oklahoma, she was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Hart. On May 22, 1906, at the Hamilton Hotel, Rue Hart was married to Curtis Matteson, and the couple settled in the Darby area.
    In addition to her husband, her son, Raymond, preceded her in death in 1919, and her son, Everett, died in 1976. Survivors include 2 daughters, Ila Terrell of Hamilton, and Inez Leavens of Darby; 18 grandchildren, 42 great-grandchildren, and 2 great-great-grandchildren.
    Funeral services are scheduled at 2 pm Friday in the Darby Baptist Church, with the Rev. Tom Brown officiating. Burial will be in the Lone Pine Cemetery in Darby. Pall bearers are Mike Matteson, Larry Matteson, Charles Leavens, Lewis Leavens, Bruce Opie, and Danny Muir. Honoray pallbearers are Bob Leavens, Dean Hyatt, Jim Gullette, Don Leavens, and Jim Matteson. Dowling Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, February 8, 1978

December 12, 1882 - June 24, 1963
    Funeral services were conducted Tuesday, June 25 for Charles G. Mattson at the Whitesitt Chapel in Stevensville with interment being made in the family plot in Victor Cemetery where graveside ritual was conducted by members of the Victor Masonic Lodge. Rev. John T. Hall officiated at the chapel services. Mr. Mattson passed away early Monday morning, June 24 in a Missoula hospital. Pallbearers were W.A. Groff, William Thrailkill, J.E. Babbitt, Harold White, Earl Redding, and George Burkhart.
    Charles G. Mattson was born December 12, 1882 in Finland and came to the United States at the age of eight years. His family settled in Michigan when he attained manhood, he worked in the lumber industry in Minnesota where he et and married Grace W. Symington. The couple moved to the Bitter Root in 1915 and ranched east of Victor until 1945 when they moved to Missoula. Mrs. Mattson passed away in 1955 and since then Mr. Mattson made his home with a daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Wimett, 1120 5th St. West, Missoula.
    Mr. Mattson was a past master of Victor Lodge No. 43 AF & AM and received his t0 year pin in 1961. He was a charter member of Missoula Scottish Rite Bosies, transferring membership from Duluth, Minn. He had been a member of the group for more than 50 years and took an active part in the activities of the organization until the time of his death. He was a life member of Aad Temple Shrine in Duluth.
    Mr. Mattson was preceded in death by his only son, Kenneth C. Mattson, who died in August 1934. Survivors include two daughters: Mrs. Wimett and Mrs. Web McPherson of Great Falls; three grandchildren; two step-grandchilden; five great grandchildren; a sister-in-law, Marie W. Symington, Missoula; and several half sisters and a half brother in Michigan
    Charles G. Mattson, during his years of residence in the Bitter Root, was one of the most proficient farmers and was well known throughout the central potion of the valley, particularly among members of the Masonic fraternity. He was accommodating, industrious and possessed unusual ability in his chosen fields. His many friends in the Bitter Root valley join the bereaved family in mourning his departure from this world after a long and productive life.
The Western News, July 10, 1963

March 24, 1873 - March 23, 1951
Rites Held Here Tuesday For W.A. Matthews, Taken By Death Friday
    Graveside rites of the Masonic Order were conducted in Riverview Cemetery by a group of Masons headed by M.B. Reynolds, W.M. of Ionic Lodge No. 38 A.F. & A.M. in tribute to William A. Matthews, secretary of the Lodge, who passed away at Daly Hospital in Hamilton at 6 a.m. Friday, March 23, following a sudden attack of what was at first though to be virus pneumonia, but which was later diagnosed as a heart attack. Burial was made in Riverview. Prior to the cemetery rites, services were conducted at the Dowling Chapel in Hamilton by Rev. Harold Harris. Active pallbearers at the funeral were David Hope, Ray Tennant, Lee Brown, Harry Stevenson, Robert Hall, and P.E. Pagenkopf. Honorary pallbearers were G.M. Brandborg, A.E. Koenig, M.B. Reynolds, Archie McKillop, James Jergensen, George Vogt, and Fred Lewis.
    W.A. Matthews was born March 24, 1873 at Seneca, Kansas. He moved to Oregon where he grew up, attended school and became employed in the logging and timber industry. He worked in the industry in Oregon for about 20 years, then moved to California and was married at San Jose, California September 22, 1906. The Matthews went to Canada where he was also engaged in office work in the lumber industry before coming to Montana to locate at Libby. He retired in 1942 and ran for the office of county treasurer on the Democrat ticket and was elected, serving a single term allowed by law. Mr. Matthews was secretary of Ionic Lodge No. 38 A.F. & A.M. at the time of his heath, a position he had held for several years.
    Those who survive Mr. Matthews are his widow, Marie, and the following children: Rex, Great Falls; Ray, San Jose, Cal.; Kenneth, Seattle, Wash.; Mrs. E.W. Bucknail, San Jose; Mrs. Alfred Noyes, Seward, Alaska; Mrs. T.R. Wessels, Spokane; Mrs. D.E. Brown, Seattle; four grandchildren, one great grand child; two brothers, Clem of Bakersfield, Ore.; and J.D. of Yakima, Wash.; and twin sisters: Mrs. Dae Stafford and Mrs. V.A. Chchren, both of Salem, Ore.
Abstract from The Western News, March 22, 1951

July 8, 1918 - September 8, 1988
Piltzville - Charlotte V. Mattson, 70, of Piltzville, died of natural causes Thursday,  September 8, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula. She was born July 8, 1918 in Victor to Martin and Bertha Rowan. She spent her early years and attended schools in Victor.
    On August 27, 1955, she married Norman Mattson in Butte. They lived in the Missoula-Piltzville area since. Mrs. Mattson worked as a meat wrapper at grocery stores in the Missoula area, and was employed by John R. Daily Company. She retired in 1976. She enjoyed reading and bowling and was a member of the Hamilton Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary.
    Survivors include her husband, Norman, of Piltzville; a son, Jeff Close of Hillsboro, Oregon; a stepson, Duane Mattson of Missoula; eight grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by a son, five brothers and a sister.
    Services will be 11 a.m. Monday at Livingston-Malletta & Geraghty Funeral Home in Missoula with the Rev. Bob Pederson officiating. Burial will be at the Victor Cemetery.
    Visitation will be 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday at Livingston-Malletta & Geraghty Funeral Home.
Pallbearers will be Bruce Hall, Karl Kellner, Cecil Connell, Maurice Millikan, Charles Pachecho, and Ermindo Zavarelli.
    The family suggests memorials to a charity of the donor's choice.
Contributed by Pat Close

January 1, 1920 - February 8, 1992
Piltzville - Norman C. Mattson, 72, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Saturday, February 8 at his Piltzville home. Mr. Mattson had battled a lengthy illness with cancer. He was born January 1, 1920 in Piltzville to Ole and Martha Mattson, and was raised and educated in Piltzville.
    During World War II, he served with the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater. After his discharge, he returned to the Missoula area. In 1955, he married Charlotte Close in Butte.
    Mr. Mattson was an active member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, worked as an auto body repairman for the Chevrolet dealerships in Missoula until his retirement in 1982.
    Survivors include a son, Duane Mattson of Snohomish, Washington; a stepson, Jeff Close, Hillsboro, Oregon; a brother, Melvin "Mulley" Mattson, Missoula; and six grandchildren. His wife preceded him in death September 8, 1988.
    Services will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at Livingston-Malletta & Geraghty Funeral Home with the Rev. Robert Pedersen officiating. Burial will be at the Victor Cemetery.
Contributed by Pat Close
August 11, 1891 - February 2, 1954
    Funeral services will be conducted tomorrow at the Dowling Chapel for Claude E. Maxwell who died at a Kalispell hospital February 2, 1954.
    Rev. James Hastings will officiate at the rites and burial will be made in Riverview cemetery. The pallbearers will be Frank Cash, Jim Thompson, Fred Johnson, Fred Ward, Raymond Grube, and Ray Severns. Graveside rites of the American Legion will be held at the cemetery.
    Claude E. Maxwell was born August 11, 1891 at St. Paul, Kansas, the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Maxwell.
    Those who survive are, his parents and a sister, Mrs. William Fullerton, also of Hamilton
Abstract from: The Western News, February 4, 1954

November 16, 1883 - May 20, 1949
Mrs. James Measom State Rebekah Head Funeral Held Monday
    Funeral services for Mrs. James Measom, President of the Rebekah state assembly, who died suddenly on Thursday of last week at a Missoula hospital, were held here Monday. Mrs. Measom was taken to a Missoula hospital a few days previous, on account of a heart affection.  Her condition was not thought to be serious, however, and she seemed to be improving.  A nurse had brought a tray with food and left Mrs. Measom alone in a room but when she returned, Mrs. Measom had passed away.
    Mrs. Measom had been a resident of this locality for a number of years.  She had been active in numerous local affairs.  She was a past president of the local Woman’s club and past president of the Ravalli County Federation of Women’s clubs.  She was a member of the Methodist church and for many years was treasurer of the Methodist Women’s society and she belonged to the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic. She was active in Girl Scout work and was a member of the local Girl Scout council.
    Mrs. Measom was particularly active in Rebekah lodge work.  She was a past Noble Grand of Hope Rebekah lodge, here at Stevensville.  She belonged to the Ladies Auxiliary of the Patriarchs Militant at Hamilton and held numerous offices in the Rebekah state assembly.  For the past year she had been president of the stat Rebekah assembly and most of her time during the past year had been devoted to that work.  She had just completed her visitation of lodges of the state, which included visits to practically every lodge in the state.  Her year’s work as president of the state Rebekah assembly would have ended in June, when the state assembly is to hold its annual meeting at Missoula.
    Mrs. Measom was born Mattie Sappington, November 16, 1883 and the town of Sappington, Montana, her birthplace, takes its name from her family.  She lived her entire life in Montana.  She attended and was graduated from the high school at Dillon and later attended and was graduated from the Montana Wesleyan College at Helena. About 37 years ago Mrs. Measom came to this locality where she had lived since.  She was married to James Measom late last summer.     
    The funeral services were held at the Methodist church here, Monday with the Reverend C. G. Spellman officiating.  Also, the Ladies Militant participated in the services.  The Rebekahs had charge of the Graveside services and Ethel Krogness, vice-president of the state Rebekah assembly of Montana, gave a fitting tribute to Mrs. Measom at the graveside. The pallbearers at the church were Steve Roberts, Chester Harkness and Kamille Otoupalik, all of Missoula:  Soren Hendrickson and James McCallen of Hamilton. The pallbearers at the cemetery were Lawrence Maxwell, Bert Maxwell, Fredrick Dawson, Harry Dawson John Dawson and Albert Barrott, sons and son-in-law of the deceased.
    Mrs. Measom is survived  by her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Albert Barrott of Blackfoot, Idaho, and Mrs. Don Stover of Boise, Idaho;  six sons, Lawrence Maxwell, Bert Maxwell and Guy Maxwell of San Francisco, California;  John Dawson of Seattle, Harry Dawson of Sappington, and Fredrick Dawson of Stevensville.
Northwest Tribune, May 26, 1949, page 1
Contributed by Kelly McCarley

September 14, 1940 - April 8, 2006   
    Dr. Mary Ann Micka Dr. Mary Ann Micka, 65, a retired USAID officer resident in D.C. since 1980, died unexpectedly in Georgetown University Hospital on April 8 of a cerebral hemorrhage. Dr. Micka was born in Hamilton, Montana, daughter of Tom and Helen Micka. She grew up in the Bitterroot Valley and graduated from Corvallis Highschool in 1959. After receiving an undergraduate degree at Montana State University, she graduated from Case Western University Medical School in 1966. In 1968 she joined the Peace Corps as soon as women were allowed and served in Cameroon. In 1975 she acquired a graduate degree in Public Health from the University of Texas in Houston. Then she served as Director of Maternal and Child Health at the Texas Department of Health.
    In May of 2003 she received the Population, Health, and Nutrition Lifetime Achievement Award from USAID for promoting quality health care. After retiring in 2003, Dr. Micka continued to be active at St. George's Episcopal Church in Arlington. She devoted herself to volunteer work and to many hobbies, among them travel, gardening, bridge, singing, and special care of her cats. She is survived by her daughter, Raluca Popovici.
Abstract from Austin American-Statesman, April 22, 2006

June 1, 1938 - September 1986
    Joanne Milender, 48, a former Hamilton resident, died Wednesday at the LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, Washington after suffering a massive coronary.
    She was born June 1, 1938 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin to Gordon and Arlene Shipman. She attended school in Casper, WY, graduating from high school and attended Casper Community College. She married Jack Milender on June 1, 1957 in Casper. Mrs. Milender worked as a secretary in the radiology department of Natrona County Memorial Hospital in Casper and later as a secretary for Wyoming Oil and Gas Commission. In 1983, the couple moved to Hamilton, where her husband was employed by Bitterroot Plumbing. In 1985, they moved to Rock Springs, WY. She had resided there prior to the time of her death.
    She was preceded in death by her mother in 1968. She is survived by her husband, Jack; a son, Michael of Denver; a daughter, Pamela Laird of Rock Springs, WY, her father, Gordon of Story, WY; two sisters, Maxine Vering, Story, WY, and Patty Krasovich, Hamilton, and two grandchildren.
    Funeral services are under the direction of Bustard Funeral Home, Casper, WY.
Ravalli Republic, September 5, 1986

March 18, 1902 - March 28, 1990
    Ethel A. Miles, 88, died Wednesday, March 25, in Hamilton at the Valley View Estates of natural causes. She was born March 18, 1902 in Walthill, Nebraska the daughter of George and Pearl Drown Clark. She was raised and educated in Nebraska and Iowa. After completion of teachers college, she taught school in Panora, Iowa. In 1925, she married Albert Miles in Greenfield, Iowa. They moved to Montana, settling on a farm north of Corvallis.
    Survivors include her husband, Albert of the family home; two sisters, Evelyn McGee and Lora Skaff, both of Sioux Falls, SD, and several nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by an infant son.
    Funeral services will be held Monday 2 p.m. at the Daly-Leach Chapel with Pastor Robert Mullen officiating. Interment will follow at the Corvallis Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Gilbert Gander, Robert Bailey, Edwin Sager, Robert Sager, Joe Yanzick, and Ralph Maki. Honorary pallbearers will be Wes Cook, Morris Gardner, Al Lensing, Bob Holloron, Dee Holloron, John Parker, and Otto Quast.
    Friends may call Sunday from 6 until 9 p.m. and on Monday from 9 a.m. until time of services at the chapel.
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, March 30, 1990

February 4, 1904 - March 28, 1990
    Harold Miles, 86, of Hamilton, died early Wednesday in Seattle at the Harborview Medical Center. Death was a result of burns he sustained while burning weeds in an irrigation ditch at his home north of Hamilton. He was born February 4, 1904 in Darby, the son of George and Hester Bones Miles. He received his education in the local schools.
    On November 6, 1920, he married Erma Hartsell in Darby. He worked for the Forest Service, the Anaconda Mining Company in Anaconda and Sentinel High School of Missoula. Harold was a veteran of Marine Corps service during World War II.
    Survivors include his wife, Erma of Hamilton; two sons, Bobby Charles and Gene both of Missoula; five grandchildren; nine great grandchildren as well as numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by two brothers and six sisters.
    Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Darby First Baptist Church with Rev. Alan Maki officiating. Interment will follow at the Lone Pine Cemetery in Darby with military rites furnished by the Hamilton American Legion. A reception at the church for family and friends will follow the interment service.
    Pallbearers will be Louie, Michael, Laurie, and Judy Miles, Kevin Corbally, and Linda Cardinal. The family suggests that memorials be made to the American Heart Association, 510 1st Ave. North No. 4, Great Falls, MT.
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, March 30, 1990

October 1830 - February 2, 1918
Funeral of Mrs. Lena Miles Held Sunday Morning
Darby, February 7 - The funeral of Mrs. Lena Miles, who died Friday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Greenup, near Conner, was held Sunday morning. Rev. Paul Iverson of Missoula conducting the services.
    Mrs. Miles was born in Virginia in 1830 and moved with her parents to a farm in Illinois, where she was married at the age of 16. Eleven children were born, five of whom survive to mourn the passing of a loving mother. Two of her sons served their country for ten years, and a third was killed in the Spanish-American war.
Ravalli Republican, February 8, 1918

December 31, 1879 - February 7, 1966
Donald Miller Passes, Rites Pend at Stevi
    Donald Miller, 86, Missoula, died Monday morning at a Missoula rest home. He was born at Perry, Kansas, December 31, 1879. He was married to Julia Wood at Eaton, Colorado in 1908. They made their home at Lawrence, Kansas until 1912 when they moved to Stevensville.
    They located on a ranch in the burnt fort community where they resided until December 1965, when they moved to Missoula to make their home.
    Survivors include four sons, Lloyd Miller, Oceanport, NJ, J.W. Miller, Bremerton, Washington, Lewis of Missoula and John of Stevensville; two sisters, Fay Stark, Rolling Hills, California, and Zoe Wilmont of Bethesda, MD, nine grandsons and four great grandchildren.
    Services are pending at the Whitesitt Mortuary in Stevensville.
Ravalli Republican, February 7, 1966

March 26, 1934 - January 7, 2004
Yvonne M. Miller, 69, of Corvallis, passed away Wednesday, Jan. 7, in Hamilton at the Marcus Daly Hospice Center, with all her family present, after a long and courageous battle with cancer.
    Yvonne was born on March 26, 1934, in Idaho Falls, Idaho, the daughter of John and Marie DeShazer Kaphammer. The family moved to the Bitterroot Valley in 1949 and settled on a ranch near Woodside. Yvonne graduated from Corvallis High School in 1952. While in high school, she helped to form the high school band. She also played in a dance band in the community. On Sept. 7, 1952, she married R.D. "Pete" Miller in Hamilton.
    Survivors include, her husband, Pete of Corvallis; their daughters, Karyn and husband Doug Johnston, LaVonne Miller and JoAnne and husband Jay Johnson, all of Corvallis; grandchildren, Kevin and wife Melissa Hayworth of Corvallis, Karinne Pearcy of Burkesville, Ky., and John Nilles of Corvallis; great-granddaughter, Madison Hayworth; brothers, Kenneth and wife Jean Kaphammer of New Jersey and Larry Kaphammer of Missoula; sister, Emily and husband Gene Makela of Tulsa, Okla., and her beloved little dog, Holly. Besides her parents, she was preceded in death by her brother, John.
    Mass of the Christian Burial will be celebrated Saturday, Jan. 10, at 11 a.m. at St. Francis Catholic Church in Hamilton with the Rev. John Darragh presiding. Family interment will take place later at the Corvallis Cemetery. Visitation for friends will be Friday, Jan 9, from 2 until 6 p.m. at the Daly-Leach Chapel in Hamilton.
    The family suggests memorials to MDM-Hospice of the Bitterroot, SAFE or to the Bitterroot Humane Association.
Abstract from Ravalli Republic, January 8, 2004

November 26, 1882 - January 26, 1974
John Moisio Passes On, Wednesday Rites
    John Moisio, 91, a resident of the valley for many years, died Saturday at Marcus Daly Hospital here. He had been in poor health for some time Funeral rites are planned at the Dowling Chapel Wednesday at 2 p.m. with Rev. Carl Rohr officiating. Burial will be in Riverview Cemetery.
    Moisio was born November 26, 1882 in Vaasa, Finland, and came to Alberta with his parents as a child, growing up on a homestead. He later moved to Missoula where he was employed by a power and water firm. After moving to the Bitter Root, Moisio farmed and ranched here and also was employed as a laborer and construction worker until retiring in 1951.
    His wife, Anna, died here in 1957. Survivors include five sons, Roy of butte, Uno of Hamilton, George of Oakridge, Oregon, and Robert and Leo of Klamath Falls, Oregon; three daughters, Helen of Portland, Lillian of San Francisco and Julia of Hamilton, along with four grandchildren and four great grandchildren,
Ravalli Republic, January 28, 1974

October 15, 1918 - May 15, 1997
    Uno M. Moisio, 78, of LaGrande, Oregon, died Thursday, May 15, 1997 at a local care facility in Oregon. He was born October 5, 1918, the son of John and Anna Hiatata Moisio of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. When he was young, the family homesteaded in Montana. he attended schools in Montana and in January 1943, he enlisted in the Air Force and was stationed in England during world War II. In January 1946, he was honorably discharged and, in 1947, he married Aileen Hansen in Montana. He worked as a Maytag repairman in Hamilton for many years until retiring in 1988. In November 1989, he moved to LaGrande to be near his family
    Surviving are his son and daughter-in-law, Craig and Paula Moisio, of LaGrande Oregon; two brothers, Leo Moisio of Klamath Falls, Oregon, and George Moisio of Oakridge, Oregon; two sisters, Julia Peters of Hamilton and Lily Moisio of San Francisco, California; two granddaughters, Rachel and Mandy; a great granddaughter Taylor; and numerous other relatives. He was preceded in death by his wife, Aileen, in 1967.
    At his request, there will be no public services. Arrangements are under the direction of Daniels Chapel of the Valley in LaGrande, Oregon
Ravalli Republic, May 16, 1997
December 1849 - October 10, 1922
Pioneer Woman Dead
Mrs. G.W. Monroe, Former Darby Resident, Passed Away at Helena Hospital Last Week
Darby, October 19 - Mrs. George W. Monroe, 72, former resident of Darby, died October 11 at St. Peter's Hospital in Helena, following an illness of several months. Mrs. Monroe, who was a native of Tennessee, came to Montana in the early seventies, being one of the first school teachers in the territory. She was the widow of the late Dr. G.W. Monroe, pioneer physician of Montana, who died about 10 years ago. The Monroes lived at Darby a number of years, and the deceased had many warm friends in the community. Burial occurred in Mount Moriah Cemetery, Butte, last Friday.
    Surviving relatives are a daughter-in-law, Mrs. B.K. Monroe and children of Hamilton; a sister, Mrs. J.A. Hoge of New York; a niece, Miss Ernestine Nichols of Bozeman, and two nephews, George R. Nichols of California and Frank E. Hoge of New York. A step-daughter, Mrs. J.C. DeJarnette, resides in Missoula.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, October 20, 1922

Victor Man Fatally Wounded in Action
Victor, December 13 - Monell Herman Monson, about 30, fireman 2//c, died of wounds received in action in the South Pacific, according to word received yesterday from the war department by his wife. Fireman Monson, who came here about 13 years ago from Minnesota, joined the Navy January 13, 1944. Following his boot training he was assigned to a destroyer in the Pacific where he saw considerable action. He was a carpenter and woodsman as well as a farmer.
    Survivors include his widow, the former Mabel Simonson; sons, Monell Mons and Melvin Herman; parents, Mr. and Mrs. Mons Monson of Minnesota, and two brothers in the service.
Ravalli Republican, Wednesday, December 13, 1944

October 4, 1877 - January 9, 1954
Stevensville-  Graveside services were held Sunday for Frank Wendell Moore, 76 who died Saturday Interment was in Riverside Cemetery. His death was the first violent fatality in Ravalli County this year.
    Mr. Moore, a bachelor, was born October 4, 1877, at Elkhart, Indiana and went to Hamilton from Missoula in 1945. He moved to Stevensville in 1951. He was known around Hamilton as "Jim Helly" and at one time worked for C.W. Ellingwood as a sheep herder.
    His only known survivor is a sister, Mrs. Lew Leatherman, Wakarusa, Indiana.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republican, January 11, 1954

November 12, 1898 - May 31, 1992
Lila E. Morgan, 93, died Sunday at Valley View Estates. She was born November 12, 1898 at Lilly, SD, the daughter of Alice and Chauncy Morey. She moved to Canada with her family in 1908 and was married to Charles Bickner in 1921 at Webb, Sask., Canada.  They were divorced in 1943. She was married to Ivan Morgan in 1952.
    Survivors include three daughters, Alice Shook of Mesa, Arizona, Irene Lomax of Seattle, and Lila “Babe” Williams of San Diego, California; a son, Archie Bickner of Summerland, B.C.; a sister, Mae Leno of Calgary, Alberta; a brother, Clarence More of Denman Island, B.C.; stepchildren, Donald and Bill Morgan and Jo Anne Bryant; and 11 grandchildren. She was preceded in death by four sisters, four brothers, and two sons.
    There will be no services. Cremation arrangements are under the direction of Dowling Funeral Home. The family suggests memorials to the United Methodist American Baptist Federated Church, or Hamilton Haven House.
Abstract from: Ravalli Republic, Tuesday, June 2, 1992

October 17, 1891 - July 16, 1955
   Although it was generally known among Dan Morris' friends and relatives that he had a bad heart condition, the sudden death of Mr. Morris Saturday, July 16 at 2:30 a.m. was a shock to all. Mr. Morris had been aroused by noise outside his home north of Corvallis and went out to discover that some Mexicans had had an accident on the highway in front of his house. He went in to telephone the highway patrol and after Patrolman Gaasch came to his house, Dan was sitting in a chair telling him about the accident when he collapsed and fell over.
    Daniel D. Morris was born October 17, 1891 in Corvallis in the old Methodist parsonage, the son of John and Flora Morris, deceased in 1906 and 1952 respectively. He began he education at the old Birch Creek school, attended Victor school for a time and also attended grade and high school at Corvallis. He went to a Presbyterian church-sponsored Montana college in Deer Lodge for two years. He belonged to the Tau Beta Kappa fraternity while there.
    After school, Mr. Morris came back to Corvallis and with his older brother, Lester, ran the Corvallis Drug Store, in the same location the store now is in. It was during this time that he and Corvallis teacher, Pearl Wunn, were married at Butte on February 26, 1916. The couple had two children, a daughter who died in infancy and the son, John D., who survives him. Soon after the family moved to the present home north of Corvallis, Mrs. Morris passed away in March of 1948.
    Mr. Morris was active in civic affairs in the community. He was a past Master of the Corvallis Grange, a committeeman at one time on the Production Marketing Association, and at the time of his death, he was secretary of the Bitter Root Fifty Year Club and manager of the Wood-Parkhurst Ditch Association.
    Mr. Morris is survived by his brothers Lester and W. Ray, and the son. The latter arrived Tuesday from Aruba, Netherlands West Indies. There are three grandchildren, Maribeth, Terri, and Johnny and two sisters-in-law, Eliza and  Carrie Wunn of St. Paul, Minnesota. The latter had come on July 8 for their annual summer visit.
    Funeral services were held on Wednesday afternoon at Dowling Chapel with Rev. Jesse Dove officiating. Burial was in Corvallis Cemetery and Corvallis Masonic graveside rites were held. Pallbearers were John Hawker, Ray Murphy, Dudley Bowden, Gilbert Chaffin, Mason Simmons, and Edwin Bay.
    Dan Morris was a capable agriculturalis, a good citizen, a good husband and father, who will be remembered by all who knew him well as a man with a smile upon his lips, a song in his heart, a cheery disposition even in the face of a forefoding situation. They will long remember him as one of the best of companions in his days here upon earth, before his journey into the Great Unknown.
The Western News, July 21, 1955

April 28, 1863 - July 31, 1952
    Mrs. Flora Morris, one of the valley's real old-timers, passed away at Daly hospital about 10:30 this morning. Funeral services will be conducted at Dowling chapel Saturday at 2 p.m. and burial will be in Corvallis cemetery.
    She was born April 28, 1863 near Halltown, Missouri, sixth of eight daughters born to Mr. and Mrs. William Clayton Wan. She was born during the Civil War and could recall the terrible "carpetbag" days which occurred during her childhood. Flora graduated from Marrionville Teachers college and taught in her home state until October 18, 1882 when she married John Wesley Morris. Their first child, Glen Rose, who is now deceased, was born in Missouri.
    Two sons, Lester and Dan, were born at the Corvallis homestead. She was the last survivor of 16 sisters and brothers-in-law. Her husband was the first of the group to pass away. Survivors include the three sons: Lester, Butte; Dan and Ray, Corvallis; seven grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
Abstract from: The Western News, July 31, 1952
    J.W. Morris, who was taken to the hospital at Missoula a week ago last Monday, died last Thursday evening at 4 o'clock. Mr. Morris was highly respected by all who knew him. He had been a sufferer of Bright's disease for some time and death was regarded as inevitable.
    The remains were taken to Corvallis, where the funeral occurred Sunday under the auspices of the Masonic lodge of that place, of which the deceased was a member. The services were held at the home of Mrs. W.C. Wan, mother-in-law of the dead man. Mr. Morris was one of the best known and most prosperous ranchers of the valley, having resided there about twenty-three years.
Ravalli Republican, July 27, 1906

December 6, 1891 - March 17, 1948
    One of the best loved matrons of the Corvallis district was called by death at St. Patricks Hospital in Missoula early yesterday when Mrs. Pearl Morris was claimed after an illness of several weeks. Funeral services will be held at the Dowling Chapel after the arrival of her son, John, who is coming from the West Indies. Interment will be made in Corvallis Cemetery. At the funeral, the pallbearers will be Paul Lear, Gilbert Chaffin, Troy McKinney, Ray Murphy, Edgar Puyear, and Maurice Holloran.
    Pearl Wunn was born at Sheffield, Iowa, December 6, 1891, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Wunn. She graduated from high school at Sheffield and later from the Plattville Teacher's College in Wisconsin. She taught two years at Beloit, Wisconsin before coming to the Bitter Root in September, 1914 to teach in the Corvallis School. She was wed February 26, 1916 to Daniel Morris of Corvallis and had made her home there ever since.
    Mrs. Morris was a member of the Methodist Church, of the Owego Garden Club, of Corvallis Chapter No. 59, OES, and of the Bitter Root White Shrine.
Those who survive the Corvallis matron are her husband and son, John Dee Morris; two grandchildren, Maribeth and Teri; and three sisters, Mrs. Mary Atkinson, Sheffield, Iowa, and Misses Eliza and Carolyn Wunn of St. Paul. The latter two are both at Corvallis. She was a daughter-in-law of Mrs. Flora Morris, Corvallis resident for many years. The son and two grandchildren are at Aruba, Netherlands West Indies, where John Dee Morris is associated with the Standard Oil interests there.
The Western News, March 18, 1948
1865 - 1910
    Arthur L. Mowatt, of Victor, aged 44 years, died of Peritonitis at the Sister's hospital in Missoula on Wednesday, July 13, 1910. The funeral was conducted from the home by the members of the Masonic lodge of Victor at 3 p.m. yesterday, when he was laid to rest in the Victor cemetery. He leaves to mourn his departure a devoted wife and three small children.
    The bereaved relatives have the sincere sympathy of a large circle of friends. Undertaker John Dowling of this place had charge of the funeral.
Northwest Tribune, July 15, 1910

April 8, 1884 - January 12, 1968
S.W. Murphy Rites Were Held Monday At St. Francis Church
    Requiem Mass was celebrated Monday morning at St. Francis Church for S.W. Murphy, 83, who died at Northern Pacific hospital in Missoula January 12. Father Frank Burns was celebrated and interment was in Riverview cemetery. Pallbearers were Floyd Preston, Leo Flynn, Robert Bedey, Ted Cavill and Vadan Scruggs. Dowling Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
    Simon William Murphy was born April 8, 1884 in Ocanta, Wisconsin. He was raised in Michigan and came to Montana in 1912. He married Mary Ann Flynn at Ryegate April 31, 1916. During his years as a railroad conductor they lived in Harlowton, Miles City and Roundup. He retired in 1952 and they moved to Hamilton. At the time of his death, they were residing in an upstairs apartment near the Medical Arts building on State Street. Mr. Murphy was a member of St. Francis Church, the Elks and Order of Railroad Conductors.
    Surviving beside the widow are sons, James T., Huntsville, Alabama, William S., Los Angeles; daughter, Delores Cannon, Hibbing, Minnesota; sisters, Mrs. Ira (Mabel M.) Caine, Hamilton, Mrs. A.J. Smith, Union Grove, Wisconsin; ten grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
The Western News, January 17, 1968

December 27, 1872 - May 8, 1942
Hold Rites For Mrs. Myers Here
    Graveside services were held here Tuesday afternoon for Mrs. Henry L. Myers, 69, Billings, who died there Friday after a short illness. Rev. Earl H. Saladen officiated. Pallbearers were R.A. O’Hara, J.D. Taylor, H.C. Packer, Martin Tucker, Charles Boren, and A.L. Johnston. The Dowling Funeral Home was in charge. Rites were conducted in Billings Monday.
    Mrs. Myers, wife of a Billings attorney who served as United States senator from Montana from 1911 to 1923, was born December 27, 1872 in Greene County, MO. She came west with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas M. Doran, from Springfield, MO in March 1882. They remained in Butte until October and then came to Hamilton by wagon.
    Following her graduation fro Corvallis High School, she taught two terms at the Roaring Lion school, marrying Mr. Myers here on July 9, 1896. They lived here until 1911 when they went to Washington, D.C. After completing his second term in 1923, the Myers’ returned to Montana. They located at Billings and with the exception of about two years in Helena, have lived there since. She visited her sister here the last time in 1939.
    Survivors include her widower, Billings; daughter, Mrs. John C. Donnally, Washington, D.C.; sisters, Mrs. A.M Chaffin, Hamilton, and Mrs. R.L. Perkins, Los Angeles, Calif; brother, Edward L. Doran, Portland, Ore, and two granddaughters.
    Among those here for the services were Mr. Myers, Mr. and Mrs. Donnally; Mrs. Gertrude McVey, Billings; E.L. Doran, Portland, Ore; Mrs. W.J. Rogers, Garrison; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Perkins, T.L. Chaffin, Butte, and Mr. and Mrs. R.M. Parsley and Mrs. Charles Watson, Missoula.
Ravalli Republican, May 14, 1942