Lewistown JOHN ROWLEY. A number of Montana and western pioneers have their home at, including John Rowley, whose experiences in the West cover more than forty years, though practically all his life has been spent in a western environment. He was born at Salt Lake City, February 18, 1858. His parents, John and Isabel (Slater) Rowley, were only temporarily residents at Salt Lake. They were natives of England, and came to this country with six of their children in 1849. They were eight weeks in crossing the ocean on a sailing vessel and from New York City went out to the then extreme frontier, Nebraska City, Nebraska. From that point John Rowley, Sr., engaged in freighting over the plains with ox teams. His family made several trips with him, and for one winter, 1858, the family home was at Salt Lake City. John Rowley, Sr., continued in the freighting business until his death. He was the father of nine children, five sons and four daughters, and four are still living, including John Rowley, the youngest child.
The latter spent most of his boyhood at Nebraska City and attended the public schools. At the age of thirteen he became a cowboy with Crawford, Thompson & Company, and not long afterward reached Deer Lodge, Montana, where he was connected with a prominent cattle outfit. Later he was with the Horse Shoe Outfit, and for about twenty-five years was associated with N. J. Doven speck. He then engaged in the sheep and cattle business for himself, and at the present time owns a fine ranch fifty miles east of Lewiston. He is a republican, but has never had any aspirations to hold office.
His life has been one long and eventful experience in the western country. He made seven successful trips between Montana and Cheyenne, Wyoming, the latter being the shipping-point for many years. The first trip was made with a bunch of cattle in 1876. In crossing Green River one of the young men of the party was drowned. His companions recovered the body, rolled it in a blanket and gave him as decent a burial as possible
. At another time Mr. Rowley and his companions were crossing Wind River where Lander, Wyoming, now stands. Indians appeared, stole their horses, but the cowboys gave chase and overhauled the Indians about seventy miles distant. There ensued a skirmish in which the stolen stock was recovered. One man was left to guard the stock while the others, bent upon vengeance, followed the Indians.
Going about fifteen miles they came up and had a skirmish. One of the men, named John McCullum, was wounded in the fight, and the white men decided they had sufficient Indian encounter for the time. They started back, but on reaching the spot where the horses had been left discovered they had again been driven away by the Indians, and they then made their way back as best they could, carrying the wounded man to Lander. Mr. Rowley recalls an amusing incident in 1879 that happened at Pine Bluff, Wyoming, showing how the West was looked upon by a certain class of eastern people. There were seventeen different herds waiting shipment at the point with the full complement of cowboy attendants. About 100 yards from the station was a saloon crowded with cowboys when the westbound train pulled in for a stop of about ten minutes. It was a cold winter day and blowing hard; and a passenger dressed in eastern style and holding on to a derby hat jumped off the train and ran over to the saloon. He pushed his head in the door and said, “I don’t want to buy anything but just want to see the interior of a Western saloon.” One of the cowboys for a joke pulled out his gun and shouted “Kill the son of a gun.” Immediately they all pulled their guns and began shooting through the roof. The passenger yelled with terror and made a wild break for the train, breaking all speed limits and records in getting there, and no doubt since has told the tale many times of how he escaped death from a crowd of bloodthirsty ruffians chasing him over the country. Such incidents were common in the old days, and the old timers have had many hearty laughs since that time about them.
At Lewistown October 6, 1889, Mr. Rowley married Miss Martha Josephine Skaggs. She is a daughter of Cyrus and Anna Caroline (Moser) Skaggs. Her father was born in Missouri and died at the age of seventy-eight and her mother was a native of North Carolina and died at the age of fifty-eight. Mrs. Rowley was the oldest of seven children, four sons and three daughters, six of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Rowley have three children: John Harvey, the oldest, enlisted December 7, 1917, in the Aviation Corps and was in service at Kelley Field, later at Camp McArthur, Texas, subsequently at Newport News, and received a commission. Lancelot Charles, the second son, is a civil engineer with home at Philadelphia. Hyacinth, the only daughter, is completing her education in the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
FRANK BENDER came to Montana more than thirty-eight years ago, has had a varied experience as a rancher, printer, merchant and public official, and is now at the head of one of the leading real estate businesses in Southern Montana, at Livingston. Mr.
Bender was born in New York City March 9, 1860. His father, John Adam Bender, was born in 1824 and died in 1869, spending all his life in New York City, a shoe merchant, manufacturer and leather dealer. After the formation of that party he became an ardent republican. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. His wife, Rosie Bender, was born in 1826 and died in 1866. Of their children the oldest, Charles, enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-Ninth New York Infantry, was wounded in battle and died from the effects of the wounds after the close of the war.
Philip, the second son, was a farmer and died at Sparta, Wisconsin. Emil E., died in Dakota Territory. Frank is the fourth in age, while John A., the youngest, is a miner now at Anchorage, Alaska. . Frank Bender graduated from high school in New York City in 1876.
For two years he worked with the Hatch Lithograph Company in his native city and spent one year in the Jones Foundry Company at Brooklyn. On leaving the East he went to a farm near Sparta, Wisconsin, and afterward spent two and a half years with the job printing firm of Johnson, Smith & Harrison at Minneapolis. Mr. Bender came to Montana in 1881, first locating at Glendive, soon afterward going to Miles City, and for about six months was employed as purchasing agent for the contractors who were working down the Cheyenne Bluffs along the river between Miles City and Rosebud. Mr. Bender then had some business relations speculating in ranch properties around Bozeman and in March, 1883, came to Livingston and was associated with his brother John A., as a farmer and stockman. In 1884, leaving their stock on the range, they moved to Cook City and during the winter of 1885-86 Mr. Bender was at Fridley, now known as Emigrant March 1, 1886, he started on a visit to California, but returned in May and resumed his activities as a stock raiser. In 1898 he sold out his ranching interests and returning to Livingston spent two years as a merchant. Then followed a long period of official service, including four years as constable of Livingston Township, and since then continuously as a justice of the peace. He also served a term as alderman, and twelve years as police judge. Since 1909 Mr. Bender has been in the real estate business, and has developed a complete organization with a service covering city and ranch properties all over Southern Montana. His offices are in the Thompson Block.
Mr. Bender is one of the prominent Odd Fellows of Montana. He is affiliated with all branches of Odd Fellowship, being a past grand of Park Lodge No. 17, past chief patriarch of Columbian Encampment 204, past captain of Garfield Canton, and was major of the Second Battalion of the Patriarchs Militant for a number of years and has been a delegate to the Grand Lodge, representing all the branches on a number of occasions. He is also past venerable consul of Silver Tip Camp No. 5675, Modern Woodmen of America and past exalted ruler of Livingston Lodge No. 246 of the Elks and was a representative to the Grand Lodge in 1906 at Denver Colorado. For a number of years Mr. Bender has served as secretary of the Livingston Fire Department which was organized in 1886 and of which he is one of the oldest living members. He is also secretary of the Park County Pioneers, an association which was organized in 1918. He is a democrat in politics.
His home is at 320 South Third Street. He married at Livingston in 1892 Miss Ollie V. Cole, daughter of Alfred and Mary Ann (Freeman) Cole. Her parents are deceased, her father having been a pioneer Montana farmer at Glendive.
WILL J. SODERLIND, who was prominently identified with the establishment of the pioneer banking institution of Rapelje, is a banker by profession, since he has been connected with banks during the greater part of his active lifetime and all his experience has been in commercial lines. Mr. Soderlind has a wide acquaintance with the northwestern country, not only Montana but several adjoining states and in Canada. He was born at Ludington, Michigan, May 23, 1885. His father, Alfred Soderlind, was born in Sweden in 1857, was reared in that country to the age of eighteen, and on coming to the United States located at Ludington, Michigan. In 1886 he moved to Lake Benton, Minnesota, where he bought^ a farm. From farming he formed connections with the financial community and established the Farmers State Bank of Lake Benton and since 1906 has been its cashier. He is still living at Lake Benton. He also served as register of deeds of Lincoln County, Minnesota.
He is an independent democrat and is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Alfred Soderlind married Emily Johnson. She was born in Sweden in 1861 and was reared from childhood in Michigan. Will J. is the oldest of their children. Charles is assistant cashier in the Farmers State Bank at Lake Benton, Minnesota; Alma is the wife of Hans Lyngaard, a farmer in Lincoln County, Minnesota; Alice is still at home; Grace is the wife of Roy Martie, who has a lieutenant’s commission in the National army; and Walter, the youngest, is with the home circle. Will J. Soderlind acquired his early education in the public schools of Lake Benton, to which community he was taken when about a year old. He finished his sophomore year in the high school, and in 1903 attended the Minneapolis School of Business. His banking experience began as bookkeeper with the National Citizens Bank of Lake Benton. He was Ij4 years in that work, then spent two years as assistant cashier, and two years as cashier, of the Securities State Bank of Seaforth, Minnesota. On leaving that position he acquired a somewhat different experience in banking. As an employee of the J. I. Case Threshing Machine Company he was in their Minneapolis office for.1 1/2 years and then for one year represented the company at Winnipeg, Canada, and in 1911 the same company sent him to their Billings headquarters, where he remained as bookkeeper and cashier for two years, and then for two years was assistant collector and another two years were spent as general collector covering Montana and Wyoming.
Mr. Soderlind left the Case Company in 1917 to identify himself with the new Town of Rapelje at the time the First National Bank was established. This bank has a capital of $25,000, and its surplus is $2,500. The officers are: Roy J. Covert, of Billings, president; Albert E. Platz, of Billings, vice president; Will J. Soderlind, cashier; and J. Herbert Jones, assistant cashier.
Mr. Soderlind is also secretary and treasurer of the Rapelje Telephone Company and is agent for the Rapelje Townsite Company. He owns his home in the town and a farm north of Rapelje. Mr. Soderlind is an independent in politics, a member of the Episcopal Church, belongs to the Commercial Club of Rapelje and is affiliated with Rapelje Lodge No. 122, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. In 1910, at Seaforth, Minnesota, he married Miss Florence Longbottom, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Johnston) Longbottom, resident of Seaforth, her father being a retired merchant, farmer and banker. Mr. and Mrs. Soderlind have two children: Jay, born August 24, 1912, and Shirley, born July 7, 1916.
PROF. J. H. HOLST since 1913 has been principal of secondary education and director of the summer season of the Montana State College at Bozeman. A notable achievement as a teacher and school leader preceded his coming to Bozeman, where during the past half dozen years he has been able to influence for the better the large number of young men and women preparing for work in the educational profession.
Professor Hoist was born at Gravois Mills, Missouri. March 2, 1873. His father was N. J. Hoist and his grandfather was Nicholas Hoist, and both were natives of the Province of Schleswig Holstein, when that province was part of the Kingdom of Denmark. The family are of Danish ancestry. Nicholas Hoist was born in 1815, had served his time in the Danish army and in 1850 brought his family to America and settled in Morgan County, Missouri. He was one of the early farmers in that section and lived there the rest of his life. He died at Gravois Mills in 1898, at the advanced age of eighty-three. N. J. Hoist, his son, is still living at Eldon, Missouri. He was born in Schleswig Holstein in 1849, and was ten years of age when brought to the United States
. He grew up in Morgan County, Missouri, and has spent his active life as a farmer. Since 1911 he has lived retired at Eldon, but still owns a small farm, his original place being owned by his sons. He is a democrat, an active worker in the Christian Church and is affiliated with the Masonic Order. His wife, Rachel Jane James, was born at Gravois Mills, Missouri, in 1850. Professor Hoist is the oldest of their six children. Letreciam, the second in age, is the wife of C. F. Rastorfer, a farmer at Barnetts, Missouri; Thomas R. lives on a farm at Marvin, Missouri; J. D. is a farmer at Eldon; Hiram operates a grain elevator in Colorado; and Ola, the youngest, is unmarried and living with her parents. Receiving his first advantages in the rural schools of Morgan County. J. H. Hoist afterwards attended an academy at Versailles in his native state, and in 1898 graduated from the Hooper Institute at Clarksburg. Missouri. In the meantime for two years he had practical experience as a newspaper man, one year of which was with the St. Louis Chronicle. For two years he was associate president, but as a matter of fact was the actual head of the Hooper Institute. Professor Hoist began his career as a Montana educator in 1900, when he located at Dillon and worked a year with the Dillon Tribune. He then became principal of schools at Gibbonsville, Idaho, held that post three years and for three years was also interested in mining operations in Idaho.
In 1908 Professor Hoist returned to Montana and organized at Victor the first consolidated school in the state. He was its superintendent six years. What he did there is best reviewed in the words of the leading editorial contained in the Journal of Education of Boston in the issue of October 25, 1917. “Professor J. H. Hoist,” says the editorial, “now of the State College of Agriculture at Bozeman, Montana, is one of the best demonstrations we know of a man’s giving himself more than state-wide recognition by intensified service in a small community.
Victor is a little place in the Bitter Root Valley of Montana. It has never had more than a hundred fifty population. Mr. Hoist went there nine years ago this September. The school enrollment was one hundred thirtyseven, or nearly equal to the entire population of the village. Of course the district lines were much larger than the village boundaries.” The editorial then enumerates a long list of progressive achievements under-taken through and as a result of Mr. Hoist, including the increase in number of teachers, better salary schedule for their services, the teaching of agriculture on scientific principles, the organization of a Parents Teachers Association and a District Teachers Association, the establishment of a school savings bank, the first in the state, the organization of the first County Interscholastic League, and the making of the periodic events of debating and literary contests, athletic meets, the principal gala occasions for the entire community. In 1912 Mr. Hoist, after having added a high school course and greatly increased the facilities of the Victor school and the building of a splendid schoolhouse for the district, secured the consolidation of five school districts, thus bringing about the first consolidated school in Montana.
The editorial in the Journal of Education closes with the following sentences: “When the Agricultural College elected him to a position in the faculty in 1913 the school district voted to make his salary equal to any that the state would pay. The banquet to Mr. and Mrs. Hoist with the gifts of a gold watch for him and of a silver service for Mrs. Hoist was an event never to be forgotten in the Bitter Root country. More than four hundred were seated at the tables. Professor J. H. Hoist not only made Victor famous for Victor, but famous .for more first things in progressive education than any other city in the state.
While Professor Hoist has been able to broaden the effectiveness of his influence and educational ideals through his present work at Montana State College, he doubtless regards his experience at Victor as one of the most stimulating. and happy . of his entire career. In 1918 the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him by Montana University. Professor Hoist owns a farm in the Bitter Root country in Ravalli County, and therefore has a direct personal interest in Montana agriculture. He and his family reside at the Barracks. He is independent in politics, is a vestryman in the Episcopal Church, served two years as master of his Masonic lodge at Victor and is a member of Bozeman Lodge No. 18, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is affiliated with the Lily of the Valley Chapter No. 6 of the Eastern Star. He is a member of the National Education Association. In 1910, at Poison, Montana, he married Miss Laura C. Maynard. Her father, Judge A. D. Maynard, is a large property owner at Poison, where he resides, and is also engaged in the lumber business at Pablo in Flathead County. Mrs. Hoist is a graduate of Montana State Normal College at Dillon and before her marriage was a teacher in the schools at Victor for three years. Mr. and Mrs. Hoist have two children, Rachel Edith, born January 31, 1912; and Jane Maynard, born February 11, 1914.
C. C. MILLS is a lawyer by profession, but since corning to Montana has given his chief time and abilities to newspaper work. He is now manager and editor of the Sanders County Ledger at Thompson Falls.Mr. Mills was born at Redfield, Iowa, September 28, 1872. His paternal ancestors came from Eng-land, and the family lived for many years in the southern states. Grandfather Milton Mills was born in Tennessee in 1816.
He became one of the pioneer farmers in the vicinity of Redfield, Iowa. Later he took up merchandising, and he died at Redfield in 1890. His wife was Matilda Locke, also a native of Tennessee. She died at Redfield, Iowa. John H. Mills, father of the Montana editor, was born in Indiana in 1846, and was a small child when his parents moved to the State of Iowa. He was reared and married near Red-field, and for many years was a farmer and later engaged in the newspaper business. He is still living at Redfield and is now connected with the oil inspection department of the state government. He is a veteran Union soldier, having enlisted in 1863, when only seventeen years of age. He was a private in Company H of the Thirty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and served until the close of the war.
He participated in the march to the sea under Sherman. He has long been an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic and in 1918 was department commander of the Iowa State Grand Army of the Republic. He is a republican and is affiliated with the Masons and Knights of Pythias. John H. Mills married Sarah A. Duck, who was born in Indiana in 1846. They had four children: R. R., a farmer at Redfield, Iowa; C. C. Mills; Milton L., of Lowerville, Iowa; and R. C, a veterinarian at Redfield.
C. C. Mills secured his early advantages in the rural schools of Dallas County, Iowa, graduated from the high school at Redfield in 1893, and in 1896 received his Bachelor of Science degree from Iowa State College at Ames. He taught a number of terms to defray the expenses of his college education. Mr. Mills prepared for the legal profession in the law school of the University of Wisconsin, where he graduated LL. B. in 1904. For one year he practiced at Westfield, Wisconsin, and for eight or nine years had a law office and published a newspaper at Scranton, North Dakota. From 1913 to the spring of 1919 Mr. Mills published the Montana Idea at Dodson. After some weeks of travel he located at Thompson Falls, where he is editor and manager of the Sanders County Ledger. The Ledger is one of the oldest papers in western Montana, having been established in 1884. It enjoys a substantial circulation and influence through-out Sanders and surrounding counties, and is republican in politics.
Mr. Mills is himself a republican voter. He is affiliated with Liberty Lodge No. 99 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at Dodson, being past senior warden. He is also a member of Helena Consistory of the Scottish Rite. In 1896, at Redfield, Iowa, he married Miss Sabra Welker, daughter of A. J. and Anna B. (Park) Welker, now residents of Great Falls, Montana, where her father is. a retired farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Mills have three children: Clarence L., born October 20, 1897; Donovan, born December 7, 1901; and Sabra Helen, born June 27, 1910. The son Clarence enlisted December 7, 1917, and was sent overseas March 27, 1918. Eleven months of overseas service is credited to the young soldier. He participated in several of the chief offensives in which the American forces had a part, including the St. Mihiel, Argonne and Verdun. He was mustered out in March, 1919.
FREDERICK F. ATTIX, M. D., who is one of the two Fellows of the American College of Surgeons represented in Lewistown, came to this state as surgeon for a mining company, and for the past eighteen years has been busily engaged in the work of his profession at Lewistown, where he founded and has developed one of the finest private hospitals in the Northwest.
Doctor Attix was born at Buffalo Prairie, near Detroit, Minnesota, August 8, 1878, a son of Henry S. and Mary H. (Knowles) Attix. His father was born in Illinois in 1854 and his mother in Michigan in 1858. Doctor Attix is the oldest of six children, four sons and two daughters, all still living. His father was a farmer until 1890, when he removed to Colorado and engaged in gold and silver mining. He was appointed postmaster at Mentor, Minnesota, in 1886, and in politics has been a sturdy democrat for many years. Both the father and mother are now residents of Oakland, California. Doctor Attix acquired his early high school education at Glenwood Springs, Colorado, attended St. John’s College at Denver in 1891 and 1892, and took his medical work in the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia. He finished his four years’ course in 1900.
Returning to Denver, he was employed for eight months as company surgeon for the Colorado Southern Railway. In January, 1901, he came by stage coach into the Judith Basin of Montana, and for about eight months served the Gilt Edge Mining Company as its surgeon. In August, 1901, he opened his offices at Lewistown, and has kept his work pretty exclusively confined to general surgery. During 1916-17 he built what is known as the Attix Clinic Building, which is in every way representative of the most advanced ideas in hospital construction
. He has fitted it with every appliance for diagnostic clinical work. There is a large operating room, X-Ray apparatus, electric sterilizing outfit of his own design, and every other facility that can be found in modern hospitals. Doctor Attix is a member of the Fergus County Medical Society, the Silver Bow County Medical Society, the Montana State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He was elected a member of the American College of Surgeons in 1914, and has since been chosen to a Fellowship in that body. Politically he is a republican.
Doctor Attix married, March 24, 1903, Ruth Cresap. She was born near Kansas City, Missouri. Mrs. Attix is a member of the Daughters Of the American Revolution. They have two daughters, Zelda and Julia.
CLARK W. ALLEN. With no important interruptions Clark W. Allen has been engaged in the lumber, or grain business ever since he arrived at years , of discretion and manhood. His interests and home have been at Big Timber for a number of years, where he is manager of the Thompson Yards, Incorporated.
He was born at Aylmer in the Province of Ontario, Canada, June 21, 1882, His paternal ancestors originally came from Holland and were colonial settlers in New York. Mr. Allen’s great-great-grandfather was probably what is described as a United Empire Loyalist, since he removed his family to Canada at the time of the Revolutionary war. The grandfather of Mr. Allen was Clark Allen, a native of New York State, but spent most of his life on a farm at Aylmer, Ontario, where he died in 1888.
Robert Allen, father of Clark W., was born at Aylmer in 1850, was reared and married and followed farming there for several years, and in 1883 went as a pioneer to Watertown, South Dakota, where he homesteaded a 160 acres and also took a timber claim. He proved and operated his farm until 1903, at which date he retired to Minneapolis, where he died in 1917. He was a republican after coming to the United States, was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and affiliated with the Ancient Order of United Work-men. His wife was Sarah E. Warnock, who was born at Aylmer, Canada, in 1854, and died at Minneapolis, in 1917 Clark W., is the third of their, four children. Ethel L., the oldest, is a teacher in the public schools of Minneapolis. Jessie I., is the wife of George E. Davis, secretary of a grain company at Warren, Minnesota, while Jennie is the wife of John A. Shaw, engineer for a construction company at Fargo, North Dakota. Clark W. Allen was graduated from the high school at Watertown, South Dakota, in 1900.
He has no memories of his birthplace in Ontario, since the family left there when he was about a year old. All his life has been spent in the northwestern country. He had his first experience in the lumber business at Watertown as bookkeeper with the S. H. Bowman Lumber Company, later in 1903, was promoted to manager of the yard of the same company at Revillo, South Dakota, and was there two years. The following year he interrupted his business career to improve his educational advantages, attending the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis. When he resumed his business it was in the general office of the Imperial Elevator Company at Minneapolis for about a year. He then supervised the establishment of a lumber yard at Plaza, North Dakota, for the Bovey Shute Lumber Company and remained as its manager until 1910. Mr. Allen on coming to Big Timber in 1910 became the manager for the H. M. Allen & Company. Eight years later the local business and other yards were purchased by the Thompson Yards, Inc., and Mr. Allen has continued as manager at the old stand.
He regards himself as a fixture in the citizenship of Big Timber and owns a modern home on Seventh Avenue. He served as city councilman four years and was president of the council throughout that term. He is a republican, a trustee of the Congregational Church, and is affiliated with Big Timber Lodge No. 25, Knights of Pythias, Big Timber Camp, Modern Woodmen of America, and Livingston Camp, Woodmen of the World. On October 25, 1910, at Plaza, North Dakota, he married Miss Stella Hagen. Her mother is deceased. Her father, S. H. Hagen, is a merchant at Plaza. Mrs. Allen is a graduate of the Northwood High School in North Dakota, and for two years was a student in the University of North Dakota. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have three children: Ethelynn, born December 31, 1911; Clark Warnock, born December 30, 1912; and Jerome, born June 5, 1914.
AXEL M. PETERSON, the manager of the Farmers Co-operative Elevator Company at Joliet, is a citizen and business man whose career deserves special consideration. He had many handicaps to overcome, acquired a thorough education though a poor boy, and has realized every successive advancement through the medium of hard work and sound ability. He was born in Southern Sweden, November 2, 1873.
His father was Peter Nelson, who spent all his life in Sweden, served in the Swedish army several years and was a shoemaker by trade. The mother was Ingred Johanson, who was born in Southern Sweden in 1842. About 1890, after the death of her husband, she came to the United States and located at Osage, Iowa, where she lived until her death in 1907. Her two children were Ingred and Axel. Ingred lives at Osage, Iowa, widow of Alfred Swanson, who was a blacksmith in that town.
Axel M. Peterson attended the Lutheran parochial schools in Sweden until he was confirmed at the age of thirteen. Then, in 1887, he accompanied his sister to the United States and for several winters attended school at Osage, Iowa. Every summer he worked in the fields for neighboring farmers, and his ambition to secure a good education led him to. deny himself many normal pleasures and he worked to the limit of his strength. He attended the Cedar Valley Seminary and finished his junior year, and his subsequent education has been well rounded out by reading and observation. As a young man he worked in a nursery at Osage, also clerked in a clothing store, and in 1902 came out to Montana and took up a homestead of 160 acres at Absarokee in Stillwater County.
He commuted his homestead rights by the payment of a $1.25 an acre and lived there two years. He was then back in Iowa for two years working in a clothing store, and then resumed his place on his homestead in Absarokee for two years. Having sold his farm he rented a ranch on Red Lodge Creek in Carbon County for two years, and in the spring of 1913 moved to the Joilet community and bought a 160-acre ranch. To that property he gave five years of close and uninterrupted management, selling out in 1918, and in that year moving into the town of Joilet, where he became the well qualified manager of the Farmers Cooperative Elevator Company. He is also secretary and treasurer and a director of this corporation.
Mr. Peterson is a republican, member and deacon of the Christian Church, is affiliated with Carbon Lodge No. 65, Ancient Free and Accepted Ma-sons, being worshipful master of the lodge, and has taken the degrees in the Billings Consistory of the Scottish Rite.
He married at Carpenter, Iowa, in 1901, Miss Ella Eddy, daughter of Thomas and Louise (Allanson)Eddy. Her father was a farmer in Iowa and in 1900 came to Carbon County, Montana. Both her parents are deceased. Mrs. Peterson is president of the Board of Education at Joliet. They have two young sons, Arnold K., born August 10, 1902, and Stanley H., born July 25, 1904.
EDWARD O’BRIEN. The life. of a successful man is always an interesting study, and all the more so when results have been won by personal effort in the face of difficulties. Attention may thus be called to Edward O’Brien, who is superintendent of the smelter department at Anaconda for the great A. C. M. Company, a position of vast responsibility only properly comprehended by those who understand the potent forces in constant operation in the mighty furnaces connected with this modern industry.
Edward O’Brien was born in County Limerick, Ireland. May 7, 1867, and is a son of Daniel and Ellen (Redfern) O’Brien, both of whom were born in County Limerick, the father in 1824 and the mother in 1839. Daniel O’Brien came with his family to the United States in 1865 and was one of the pioneer settlers in Walworth County, Wisconsin. He acquired and improved a farm there, and lived usefully and peacefully until his death, which occurred at Geneva Lake, in Walworth County, in 1884
. He was married to Ellen Redfern in Ireland, and their three children were born there, namely:William, who died in the City of Chicago in 1917, was a foreman in railroad shops at Cleveland, Ohio, for many years; Thomas, who is a cement contractor at Anaconda, Montana; and Edward, who is one of Anaconda’s prominent and substantial citizens aside from his connection with the A. C. M. Company. Both parents were faithful members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Edward O’Brien attended the country schools near his father’s farm in Walworth County as opportunity offered, but in early youth found farm tasks somewhat distasteful and determined to eventually seek employment for his energies in a direction that was more congenial.
Starting out for himself practically without capital, he went to Chicago, Illinois, easily made friends there and secured employment that occupied him for two years. In 1884, on his way westward, he reached Pueblo, Colorado, and spent one year working there. In 1885 he came to Anaconda, and was immediately given employment as furnace man’s helper with the A. C. M. Company, and has been identified with this great business enterprise ever since. It has been a characteristic of Mr. O’Brien that he has never stood still, and the humble helper soon became shift boss, then was promoted to be foreman, and subsequently was made superintendent of the entire smelter department. The offices where he transacts business are in the Smelter Building, at the Washoe Reduction Works, two miles east of Anaconda. Not only in business life has Mr. O’Brien been successful because of fidelity and dependability, but his sterling character has been so universally recognized at Anaconda that his fellow citizens have twice elected him mayor of the city and have profited under his firm, judicious administration. At Helena, Montana, in 1904, Mr. O’Brien was united in marriage to Miss Mary O’Neil, whose parents, John and Mary O’Neil, are deceased. John O’Neil came to Butte, Montana, in 1881 and worker in a smelter there, hut later moved to Anaconda and operated a boarding house.
Mrs. O’Brien was educated in a college in Canada. Mr. and Mrs. O’Brien are members of the Roman Catholic Church. He belongs to Anaconda Council No. 882, and is a third degree Knight of Columbus, is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters, and belongs also to the Anaconda Club. Like his father before him, Mr. O’Brien has always been a strong supporter of the principles of the democratic party. He owns a valuable piece of real estate here, his hand-some, modern residence that stands on Maple Street, Anaconda.