(Compiled from the YGF
Rev: 17 April 2003 [Added
cemetery is located is located on the south side of 21 Mile Road (State
Route 328 leading to Broadview) and approximately 3.7 miles west of Hwy 87
between Billings and Roundup, four miles from the Musselshell County line. It is 220 ft square on each side, and runs
north and south, with a gate in the center on the north side by the road. In
1980 the ownership of the surrounding land, and probably the cemetery itself,
belonged to the T1Bar Ranch (Fox & Cattle Company). The Weir Funeral home
in Roundup administered some of the burials.
It is located just west of Hoskin’s
BLM records for the original land ownership of this section in Broadview state:
Patent #530430 for Lots 1 & 2 plus the east ½ of the NW ¼ of Section 30, Tp 4N, Rn 26E consisting of 149.97 acres on May 25, 1916 was granted to John Spitzer. (The cemetery is on his land.)
Patent #529131 for Lots 3 & 4 plus the east ½ of the SW ¼ of Section 30, Tp 4N, Rn 26E consisting of 150.47 acres on May 16, 1916 was granted to Jacob Kramilick.
Patent #521847 for NE ¼ of Section 30, Tp 4N, Rn 26E consisting of 160 acres on March 27, 1916 was granted to Frank O. Becht.
Patent #545637 for SE ¼ of Section 30, Tp 4N, Rn 26E consisting of 160 acres on September 13, 1916 was granted to Herman H. W. Petrausch .
During the homesteading days there were large herds
of antelope in the area, thus the name “
“Erna Glock, daughter of Albert from Roundup
area, married Ed Lackey, and later remarried (name unknown). Ed or Albert
worked for the Propane Company in
“Bert Kamrath in Shepherd, is brother to K.
P. Kamrath. According to Harold Kramilick, John Spitzer used to wear dark
glasses and people thought he was blind. He had a summer kitchen and when
butchering time came, in the fall, children thought it was a great treat to go
to the Spitzer’s and watch the activities and get together. Neighboring
families were: Cromlys, Opps, Wilkins, Jake Eding, Bill West, Barbara &
Jake Jacobss, Farnes, and Langs. Bert’s mother was 13 when she came to
this country from
“Harold maintains the gravesite for the Kramilicks. Someone came in the early years and dug up Mr. Opp’s corpse, leaving a hole in ground. The hole rounded off due to weathering over the years, and is now it’s only a mound.”
In this farm community are two other cemeteries,
also referred to as
Cemetery is located in
There is a large wooden marker painted white (CROSS) in center of cemetery.
Church service is no longer held here. Settlers from the
Cemetery is located at corner of Frey & Cemetery Road turnoff from Hwy 3
going north, just south of the town of
Cemetery is located half-way between Castle Butte and Elephant Rock, 14
miles north of Pompeys Pillar, in Section 24, Tp 5N, Rn 30E, Dora Harris deeded
the land to the “Castle Butte Cemetery Association” on 27 April
1927. Access is from the north off
Cemetery is located approximately ½ mile south of the Methodist Episcopal
Church at the south edge of town in Section 16, Tp 4N, Rn 23 E, just off Hwy
3. The cemetery was created in 1925
after the Helm memorial Cemetery association was incorporated on January 7,
1925. The site is 206’ wide by 715’ long. Earlier the association
committee met on October 18, 1924 for the purpose of procuring and holding
cemetery land. O. Armstrong was chairman, and Mrs. Rose Ballard secretary. Land
surrounding the cemetery was owned by Mrs. William E. (Tillie) White. At the
time of formation, the community had 60 residents. Earlier it also had a
Land for the cemetery was surveyed by Leo F. Garrison June 10-16th,
1932. The plat was filed on March 6, 1933. The
Located in SE ¼ SE ¼ Section 20, Tp 2N, Rn 28 E on N 4th Road about .35 miles south of US 10, near center of the town. There are two sections in the cemetery.
Robinson Family Plot was located in W ½ section 7,
Tp 1N, Rn 28E. It was located where the
Sage Creek Cemetery is located 2.7 miles south of the freeway where US 10 & SR 312 connects. There is a small hill rise on the east side of the road opposite a mailbox. There are two or three unmarked graves at the site.
The Junction City residents filed and recorded the cemetery plot on March 8, 1883 in Custer County. On September 1, 1884 they refilled and recorded it in Yellowstone County. Earlier it had been known as “Terry’s Landing.” The Yellowstone County Commissioners “vacated” the area. Bozeman civic leaders conceived Junction City in 1875, and some started it in June 1877 by William Taylor, who opened a trading there. The cemetery is located in NE ¼ Section 36, Rn 5N, Tp 33 E. It is ½ mile north of the Hwy 312 Bridge that crosses the Yellowstone River and continues into Custer. The road changes name to Buffalo Creek Road as it passes by the cemetery. The “Old-Old Road to the ferry” is directly on the east side of the cemetery. The site is fenced; and there are two additional graves on the hill to the west, outside of the cemetery, about 300 ft to the northwest and they enclosed with hog wire and wood posts. This small site is about 30’ x 18’ in size. The town itself was south of the cemetery, and over the years has been washed into the river. Additionally there are numerous unmarked small or single gravesites in the area where soldiers or trappers were buried where they fell. Many of the locations are identified, but the names of the persons buried there were not preserved. Two of these are:
Fort Pease Cemetery – Various gravesites at the fort, some of which have been relocated. See Paul McCormick’s biography for details.
Guy Cemetery – Located on a hill at the upper end of Pease Bottom
Yellowstone Kelly, Chief Scout for General Miles in the Wolf Mountain Range
died in California. He is buried in Kelly's Grave on
Located in NE ¼, Section 4, Tp 25, Rn 24 E, immediately west of and adjacent to the St. Anthony Cemetery. It is just off Hwy 532, 1.75 miles north of Laurel underpass going to Laurel Airport Road. There is an un-named cemetery:
Rural Cemetery – one mile north and one mile east of East Laurel Interchange. It is enclosed with barbwire and contains three graves.
Located at 1704 Central Avenue in Billings. Founded in 1881 just before Boothill Cemetery was closed. The O’Donnell Cemetery is generally referred to as “The Old Section”. Originally there were plans for expansion to the west, and until that time arrived a Par-3 golf course was erected on the site. The expansion has been abandoned, and additional graves are available at other cemetery locations in the County.
Located in Section 1, Tp 2N, Rn 27E, Lot #3, Block 1. (Certificate of Survey #1206.) It is just north of the Lutheran Peace Church (Emmanual Lutheran) in Shepherd north of the Shepherd-Acton Road, west of SR 304. There are 60 gravesites platted.
Located south of Ballantine in NE ¼ Section 7, Tp 2N, Rn 29E, ¼ mile north of I-94 and 1/5th mile west on road leading to Ballantine. The gate leading into the cemetery has a plaque that reads “In Memory of Jesse and Esther Davidson”. At the entrance is another one that reads “Pleasant View Cemetery_Presented by _ Friends and Family _ In Memory of Ellen A. Stout _ 1973.” This is a large, active cemetery.
Basically an old cemetery started about 1931, located just off Riverside Drive and Bitterroot Street near Two Moon Park in Billings. Eagle Cliff Manor joins the site.
Located in NE ¼, Section 4, Tp 25, Rn 24 E, immediately east of and adjacent to the Laurel Cemetery. It is just off Hwy 532, 1.75 miles north of Laurel underpass going to Laurel Airport Road.
Located in NW ¼ NW ¼ Section 35, Tp 3N, Rn 27 E, it is three acres in size, and referred to as “Parcel 2.” It is 2 miles north of Shepherd on the Shepherd Road. It is fenced and well maintained. .” The land was donated by R. E. Shepherd
Located in NW ¼ Section 35, Tp 35, Rn 37 E, it is about ½ size of the Scandia Cemetery, and is referred to as “Parcel 1.” The land was donated by R. E. Shepherd. There are small additional gravesites in the area:
Emmanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery (was Christian Reformed Church) where “Dutch families” are buried.
Emmanuel Evangelical Church Cemetery - 4 miles northeast of Shepherd.
Scandinavian Cemetery – Lutheran group burials located 2 miles north of Shepherd.
Located at 1721 Central Avenue, Billings.
Located in NE ¼, SE ¼, Section 2, Tp 1S, Rn 25 E, at 304 34th St West, Billings.
Located at 3605 Grand Ave, Billings.
Bowler Village in Carbon County, just south of the Yellowstone County line was settled in 1892 on the B&M RR & Sage Creek, 40 miles east of Red Lodge. [Was a ghost town, but no evidence of it exists today]. The Bowler cemetery (abandoned) is located about 3.9 miles south of the old townsite, just off the west side of Pryor Mountain Road approximately ½ mile. It is (was) visible from the road. The cemetery is rectangular and runs N-S. Access through the townsite (third location) is closed by fencing, and is now farmland. You reach the cemetery by driving north around the farm, and then back south along the gas pipeline. On the “Bridger” BLM Topo Map, Section 17, which is southeast of the cemetery, there is a windmill marker just to the east of the railroad grade (current road). One-half mile further north and on the west side will be a major fence line that marks the ranch property’s southern boundary on the Section line, (the ranch entrance is about four miles north.) The windmill may be used as a landmark in locating the cemetery. If you park on the road, and look to the west, and slightly north, just below the ridgeline, the top wire of the cemetery fence is barely visible.
The cemetery is located in south east ¼ of Section 7, Township 8 south, Range 25 east, along the east side of Sage Creek on the high ground. The Bridger Cutoff trail passes through its location. There is a barbwire fence surrounding the property. Be sure to ask for permission to enter the property. The two small dots in Section 6 represent the ranch.
There are 21 identified gravesites with markers, and 23 unidentified. [Picture November 2002]
This cemetery is located at the junction of Cottonwood Creek & Shields River, just to the east of Highway 89. Records are stored in Word format.
MT YGF NOTICE:
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for commercial presentation by any other organization. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above, must obtain express written permission from the author, or the submitter and from the listed USGenWeb Project archivist.
 Names available upon request.