Search billions of records on

Newspaper& Documents write-ups about Carleton County People

Carleton County HomePage

The Carleton Sentinel, The Dispatch and The Press Newspapers were published
in the Town of Woodstock, N.B.


Dispatch Newspaper July 15, 1908
The Quebec Tercentenary
The following is a list of the officers, N. C. officers and men selected from the 67th Regt. "
Carleton Light Infantry, " to represent the Regiment at the great review, who leave on Saturday for Quebec:-

Capt. J. J. Bull To command the Company
Capt. H. H. Hopkins 1st. Lieut.
Lieut. F. A. Good 2nd.Lieut.
"A" Co. Sergt. W. Flemming
  Sergt. H. Clowes
  Sergt. R. Appleby
  Sergt. H. Moore
  Bugler A. Whitlock
  Private R. J. McLean
"B" Co. L. S. Stitham
  Stanley Ritchie
  Duncan Finnamore
"C" Co. Hugh McKay
  Fred English
  Hugh Adams
  Thos. McMullin
"D" Co. George Thorne
  A. R. Gayton
  Russel Boyer
  Wm. Haywood
  Clarence Rideout
"E" Co. Earl Rideout
  Willard Rideout
  Enslow Parsons
  Reuben Rideout
  W. Burton Morgan
  H. H. Smalley
  Frank Carr
"F" Co. Percy Tomlinson
  Wm. Caldwell
  E. F. Dixon
  A. L. Dixon
  W. A. Austin
  Coll McKellar
  Lester Austin
  Chas. Smith
  Malcolm McKellar
"G" Co. Delisle Bouchard
  Lignori Laplant
  Enoch Lebrun
  Denis Landry
  Arthur Pelletier
"H" Co. Sergt. Major E. Sipprell

Dispatch Newspaper July 22, 1908
Grading Marks of the Advanced Department of Bath School

Celia Giberson 86
Kenneth Squires 78
Wendall Jones 75
Hermon Lovely 69
Bradstreet Tompkins 67
May Lovely 90
Dora Tompkins 77
James Sullivan 76
Mildred Giberson 70
Lizzie Ketch 65
Wilbur Gray 65
Eugene Phillips 65
Amy Tompkins 71
Maud Shaw 65
Ethel Simms 87
Lella Giberson 81
Myrtle Jones 66

Dispatch Newspaper July 22, 1908
Miss M. L. Crabbe, of St. Stephen Business College, took passage on the steamship Ottawa, which sailed from Quebec, July 18th. She expects to visit Ireland, England, France and Rome, returning early in September to take up her duties at the College. Miss Crabb's home is in Debec, Carleton County.


Wm. McWaid has reshingled his barn this week, which was built thirty-two years ago.

Mrs. Susan Miller, Waterville, is visiting her sister, Mrs. John A. Porter and her mother, Mrs. Phoebe Palmer.

Dispatch Newspaper May 6, 1908
Why Jase Was Late
The following note was received by a village school-teacher:-
Mister, sir.
My boy Jass had to be late today. It is his biznes to milk our cow. She is a kicky cow. She kicked Jass in the back today when he wasn't looking so he thought his back was broke but it aint. But it is black and blue. If you dont believe it you can see. The pain kept him late. We would sell that cow if we could. This is the forth time she kicked Jase but she never kicked him late before. So excuse him for me.
His mother."-Hjost Valdemir.

Dispatch Newspaper July 15, 1908
High School Entrance
Results, High School Entrance Examinations, arranged according to highest marks:-

Division 1 667 and over
Florence Dickinson Nora Raymond
Merril McQuarrie Stuart Bailey
Marion Lindsay Helen McManus
Mildred McGibbon Ralph Cogger
Nora Judge Whilemina Hayward
John Dibblee Guy McLean
Division 2 500-667
Jessie Foster Hilda Torrop
Helen Sharp Marion Winslow
Gladys Smith Della Killam
Charles lee Ray Moores
Alice Winslow Harry Camp
Elsie Allder Ella Slipp
Helen Shea Bernard Manzer
Muriel Cowan George Sharp
Ernest Burtt Bessie Slipp
Charles Bull Alice Shea
Cassie Hay Jennie Dorey
Louise Moore Arthur Kelley
Dexter McCluskey May Stephenson
Fred Stephenson Archie Shaw
Fenwick Nicholson  
The following made over 500 total
but fell below the minimum in arithmetic and algebra
Frank Hanson Mary Sprague
Hilda McLean Samuel Watson


Dispatch Newspaper Nov 24, 1909
Death of Former Woodstock Man
H. A. Amiraux, of Woodstock, N. B., but since 1877 a resident of Montana, died on Nov. 13th in St. Patrick's hospital , Missouia. His death was the direct result of injuries received when he was struck by a Northern Pacific passenger engine. Mr. Amiraux was then working on the outside of the track near Van Buren street, close's enough to the rails to be struck. His life had been despaired of for more than 24 hours before death came.

He was born in Woodstock, N. B., on April 15th 1832, and was 77 years of age at the time of his death. In 1874 he moved to Oshkosh, Wis., and from that city he went to Missouia in 1877. At first he was employed as a bookkeeper for the Higgins & Worden company and later, in 1882 he took charge of the Inn at Baker station, now Clinton. Four years afterward he took a ranch in the Blackfoot valley, near Potomac, and there he lived until 1900. Then he went back to Missouia, to live at the home of his son in-law, George Elliott.

Mr. Amiraux was married before he went to Montana. He is survived by his wife and the following children: Mrs. G. L. Elliott, Mrs. W. H. Smith, and Mrs. O?is Worden, all of Missouia, Mrs. P. H. Mahony of San Francisco, Henry A. Amiraux of Butte and George P. Amiraux of Washington.


Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 2, 1870
On the 23rd inst., at the Wesleyan Parsonage, Lower Woodstock, by the Rev. E. B. Moore,
James Jackson, to Sarah Ann Armstrong, both of Eel River, York Co.

On the 24th ult., by Rev. J. Cassidy, at the residence of the bride's father,
Mr. Francis Campbell, to Miss Martha Allison McLellan, daughter of Mr. John McLellan, all of Richmond.

On the 29th March, by Rev. S.D. Lee Street, Rector,
John Kenedy, of the Parish of Richmond, to Jane, second daughter, of the late James Speer, of the same place.

At Windsor, on the 15th February, of Croup,
Idobia May, aged 3 years, 8 months and 21 days;
on the 16th Feb.
Lydia Emmerenza, aged 5 years, 11 months and 8 days, children of Tamberlian J., and Julia A. Shaw.

On Sunday, March 20th, at the residence of John Giberson, Esq. Bath, Kent, C. C.,
Caroline A., beloved wife of John R. Blinn, Esq. of Bangor, Maine, in the 63rd year of her age, leaving an aged husband and a large circle of friends to lament their loss.

Suddenly, at Glassville, on the 22nd inst., after a brief illness of two weeks,
Emma Jane H., beloved daughter of George and Jane Reid, aged 17 years.

At Lower Brighton, on the 11th inst., of a Fever,
Hetty, wife of Mr. George C. Robinson, second daughter of George and Susan Briggs, of Jacksontown, in the 30th year of age, leaving a beloved husband and one child to mourn their loss, besides a large circle of relatives and friends.

At South Richmond, on the 11th of March, after a short illness of eight weeks,
Sarah Jane, daughter of John and Rachael Duff, in the 20th year of her age, leaving a large number of warm hearted friends to mourn her loss. She united with the members of the Sons of Temperance a few years ago, and her work through life was characterized by amiability; by her death the Lodge lost a worthy member, her parents a dutiful daughter and her acquaintances a loving friend. She died in full assurance of a glorious ressurection with her Saviour.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Dec 16, 1890
A very interesting event occurred the past week in the marriage of Auburn's most popular boarding mistress,
Miss Jennie Robertson ( formerly of Woodstock ), now of Auburn, Maine, to Mr. Samuel Hayford, a merchant of that city. The ceremony was preformed by Rev. F. S. Root, at the residence of the bride, Wednesday, at 1 o'clock p.m., only a few of their many friends being present.
Immediately following the wedding the couple took the train for Portland; while passing to the hack they were plentifully showered with rice, old slippers and the kind wishes of their friends for a long and happy life. On their arrival home a reception was tendered them; the collation, which was bountiful, was served by Messrs. Hamilton & Philipe, caters. Mr. and Mrs. H. were generously remembered by gifts both useful and beautiful; two very elegant stuffed chairs from the mother and father of Mr. H., a lovely table scarf and mantle ornaments from the sisters and nephews of the bride, pictures, statuary and standard for same, large lamp, very pretty album, paper rack, vases, rose jar, etc., etc., were presented by boarders and friends.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Dec 16, 1890
Miss Ethel Brown, of Woodstock, N. B., won the daily prize, on Dec. 6th, of an elegant silver ice pitcher, in Bell's Magazine great word making contest.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 22, 1865
At Howard Settlement, Canterbury, May 2nd, 1863, by the Rev. Thomas Hartin,
Mr. Edward Garden, of Queensbury, to Miss Margaret Jane Strong, of Richmond.

By the same, at the same place, on the 13th Oct. 1864.
James McMullan to Frances , second daughter of Thomas Cunningham, Sen., all of Canterbury.

By the same, at the residence of Robert Robinson, Esq. on the 15th Oct 1864,
John Hartin, Jun., to Miss Margaret Lackey, all of Canterbury.

By the same, at Howard Settlement, on the 27th Oct. 1864,
Jacob Nye, of Woodstock, to Margaret, fifth daughter of Mr. Joseph Hartin, of Canterbury.

By the same, at the residence of the bride's father, on the 20th Oct. 1864,
Mr. Philip McGrace, of Fredericton, to Miss Sarah, second daughter of Mr. Charles Kemp, of Canterbury Station.

By the same on the 4th inst., at the residence of Robt. Robinson, Esq., Canterbury,
George Robinson, Jun., to Sophia Adelia, fourth daughter of John S. Patterson, J. P., of Woodstock.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 22, 1865

At Southampton on the 4th inst.,
Lucinda, aged one week, infant daughter of Aaron and Mary Lenantine.

At Wicklow, on the 3rd inst., suddenly,
John Franklin, aged 5 months, infant son of Isaiah and Margaret Hartley.
This lovely babe has gone to rest,
Its spirit is on high,
Its hands are folded on its breast,
And closed its eyes in death.

Dispatch Newspaper Oct. 19, 1904
A Gruesome Discovery
Body of a Dead Infant Found in a Furnace.

Mr. G. W. Vanwart made a gruesome discovery early on Sunday morning. He had gone to the cellar with his hired man Robert Magee, whom he instructed to light a fire in the furnace, first telling him to clean out the furnace, which was filled with a lot of stuff including a board which projected out of the door. The man removed everything and both were horrified to find in the furnace the body of an infant. Mr. Vanwart immediately notified Coroner Hay and Marshall Kelly. The result was that Mr. Hay empannelled a jury and opened an inquest on Monday morning. Previous to this the marshall arrested on suspicion a domestic, who was working at J. N. W. Winslow's, and sleeping at Mr. Vanwart's, by the name of Linda Drost.

At the inquest Mr. Vanwart stated how he came to find the body. He had suspected that the girl Linda Drost was in the family way some weeks before and had advised her to go home. She went away and was away some three weeks and then came back. In the meantime he had hired another girl, and Linda went to work with Mrs. Winslow, occuping a room at Mr. Vanwart's at night. After discovering the body he told the girl of it and her answer was that he might do with it as he liked.

Mr. J. N. W. Winslow stated that Linda Drost worked at his house for the past two weeks. She was at work every day, coming at half past six in the morning and remaining till eight. Late in the summer he had noticed her passing in the garden and suspected that she was enciente but concluded afterwards that his suspicions were unfounded.

Mrs. Vanwart and Mrs. Winslow also gave testimony along the same lines. The hearing was then adjourned until Tuesday morning to admit of a post-mortem examination being held.

The attorney-general was notified of the case and deputed W. P. Jones to watch the inquest in behalf of the Crown. T. C. L. Ketchum was present in the interests of the girl Linda Drost. She has been taken to the gaol.

Dispatch Newspaper Sept. 1, 1909
Fractured His Spine
A very serious accident occurred at Hartland, N.B.; Monday morning about 11 o'clock, as the result of which
Benjamin McIsaacs, son of a well known East Florenceville fruit dealer, is now suffering with a dislocated shoulder and a fractured spine.
Mr. McIsaacs was on the roof of his house, working, losing his balance, fell to the ground. His injuries are expected to prove fatal, the doctor holding but little hope of his recovery.
Mr. McIsaacs is a young man and very popular. He was married only a short time ago to Miss Anna B. Miller, of Waterville, and there will be much sympathy expressed both for him and his young wife.
Doctors Ross and Hagerman called Dr. Rankin of Woodstock, who took out a portion of the broken vertebrae, giving some relief.

Dispatch Newspaper Dec 29, 1909
Case Being Argued Before Mr. Justice McKeown; in the Courts Yesterday.

The case of Barton vs Mother Superior of the Good Shepherd Industrial Home was taken up in the supreme court chambers last week. His honor Justice MeKeown presiding. This case was brought on at the instance of L. A. Currey, K. C., who in behalf of the mother of
Ethel May Barton, who is detained in that institution, had a writ of babeas corpus issused on Tuesday last calling upon the mother superior to show cause for the girls dention.
The case is creating considerable interest due probably to the fact that it is only on rare occasions that the court is called upon to deal with anything of this nature.
The facts are as follows:
The girl who is thirteen years old, belongs to Woodstock and was committed to the home on Sept 24 by warrent of Judge Carleton at the Instance of Reverend Bamfred Colpitts, of the reformed Baptist church, special agent of the society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Children.
The act provides that any Roman Catholic girl under the age of fourteen years who by reason of this neglect, drunkeness or other vices of her parents is suffered to be growing up without salutary control lead an idle or dissolute life being committed to the institution.

When the case came up Wednesday afternoon J. D. Hazen, K. C. appeared for the mother superior and claimed that in the interests of justice the girl should be detained in the Industrial Home. The mother, he said was not a fit person to look after the girl and it was only for her own moral good and well being detained.

Friday morning, the matter came up for further hearing but the Attorney General read a letter from Dr. Curry in which the latter asked to have the application withdrawn. His Honor then dismissed the matter and the child will be confined in the Good Shepherd Home until she is sixteen years of age.
Detective Killen and the girl were in court and Mr. J. King Kelly appeared for the Woodstock S. P. C. A., who laid the information in the first instance.

Dispatch Newspaper Aug 17, 1904
Dr. W. E. Saunders of Lower Southampton while driving on a lonely road near his home on Saturday night was held up by two men who seized his horse by the head and demanded money.
The doctor who was quite unarmed whipped up his horses and got away.
This makes the fourth holdup which has occurred in that part of the country lately.

Dispatch Newspaper Dec 22, 1909
Douglas McAdam Disappears
Douglas McAdam, a young man about 20 years of age who has been working in this vicinity the past four years, disappeared on Sunday evening. He has been staying at the home of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. McIntosh in this town for the last few days.
He left the following note;
" I have been thinking of suicide for some time now. I cannot get work, and besides I am in love with a girl in this town who does not love me. These two things have just about set me crazy, so I am going to end it all tonight."
Good bye,
Douglas McAdam

Constable Herbert Lindsay who was in town Monday, said that Douglas McAdam had stayed at his home on the Houlton road on Sunday night, and started toward Houlton in the morning. He seemed to be in poor spirits.

Dispatch Newspaper Aug 24, 1904
Mill Burned at Skiff Lake
A saw mill at Skiff lake was burned last Friday evening about 9 o'clock. This was the mill built about a year ago by S. C. Wiggins and taken over about two weeks ago by Fox Allen & Co., of Hawkshaw. About three o'clock on Friday afternoon a pulley burst and the mill had to be closed down. At that time a slight fire as seen on the roof, caught from the smoke stack. It was immediately put out and the place thoroughly wet down and there was no fire in the furnance from that time until the mill was destroyed. No lumber was destroyed. The loss is estimated at $1000 pounds; There was no insurance. Fox Allen & Company will rebuild at once.

Dispatch Newspaper Aug 24, 1904
A Militia Reunion
A reunion of two old Carleton County militia corps, the Woodstock Rifles and the Battery, will be held in Woodstock on Friday, September 2nd.
Among the earliest members of these old organizations who are now living are,
Of the Rifles,
Dr. Churchill
Mr. W. P. Hayden
Dr. Upham
Captain H. W. Bourne
Harry Nash
John Buck
Robert Mansfield
John Kerrigan
J. J. Bedell
Eli Shea
John Brown
Charles Lewin
Of the Battery
John Regan
W. H. Everett
R. L. Allingham
Stephen Tidd
Fred Kelly
George Robinson
Any gentleman who was a member of either of these early corps and whose name is not mentioned above, is requested to communicate with Mr. H. W. Bourne, Woodstock.

Dispatch Newspaper Oct 26, 1904
The millinery store of
Mrs. A. D. Hartley at East Florenceville caught fire early Tuesday morning, October 18th, and in spite of the efforts of the neighbours it was burned to the ground and all the contents were destroyed. The thing happened so quickly that it was not possible to save even the money drawer which contained no small amount of money. Mrs. Hartley's fall stock of millinery which had not yet been taken from the packing cases was lost. Col. Hartley was away at the time.
It was with the greatest difficulty that the neighbors were able to save the residence which was about twelve feet from the store.
Mrs. Nichols, of Lowell, who was visiting Mrs. Hartley, in endeavouring to save the cash drawer was badly burned about the hands and face. There was no insurance on the building nor on the goods. Col. Hartley returned from the Tobique on Wednesday night.

Dispatch Newspaper March 23, 1910
Terrible Tragedy at Centreville
A terrible tragedy occurred at Centreville on Saturday morning as a result of which
Mrs. Esther Gallup is dead, and her brother, William Lewis, a respected farmer, the innocent cause of her death, is almost crazed with grief.
Mrs. Gallup had been visiting at her brother's home. On Saturday morning she was sitting in his kitchen while Mr. Lewis was examining a shotgun. Inadvertently he pulled the trigger. There was a crash and shriek and the poor woman lay dead upon floor, the side of her head torn away by a heavy charge of buckshot, while the walls and ceiling of the room were spattered with ghastly splatches of blood and brains.

The sole witness of the terrible affair was a little grandchild of the unforunate farmer, who, but an instant previously, was standing at Mrs. Gallup's knee, prattling childishly with the woman to whom death came in such tragic form. Several of the shot passed very close to the little tot's curly head, and the wonder is that there were not two victims of the fatal shot.

Mr. Lewis at once rushed to the spot and raised the prostrate form in his arms, only to find that apparently life was extinct. Dr. Peppers was summoned but death had been instantaneous.

Few families in Centreville and the adjacent village of Knoxford occupied a higher place in the community than that of which both parties to the awful tragedy were members.

Mr. Lewis cannot account for the accident. The gun had hung in the kitchen for years and he had never thought of its being loaded until the fatal pulling of the hammer. He had been intending for several days to clean it and on Saturday morning took it down for this purpose. Without thinking, he pulled the hammer back when it snapped and exploded and when the smoke rose he saw his beloved sister a corpse almost at his feet.

Mrs. Esther Gallup, the victim of the sad affair, was a residence of Knoxford, Carleton County, four miles from here. For two or three years she resided in Michigan with her husband, James Gallup, who died there. Last spring she returned to the home of her childhood and has since visited her relatives.

She was 64 years of age and is survived by eight children. There are Messrs W. L. and Allen Gallup and Mrs. Leonard Woolverton, of Knoxford; Miss Florence Gallup, of Muniac, and Albro and Gaunce Gallup and Mrs. I. Thomson, of Michigan.

She also leaves two brothers, William Lewis, in whose home the tragedy occurred, and George Lewis, living on the adjoining farm, and three sisters, Mrs. Pel Good, of Good's Corner, and Mrs. J. and Mrs. G. Moses, both of Grand Manan.

At the time of the accident she had just completed a pleasant four weeks' visit with her brother and was to leave the same day to spend some time with one of her sons at Knoxford.

The body has been taken to Knoxford for burial. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon and Rev. Daggett officiated.

Dispatch Newspaper March 2, 1910
Accidently Killed
Bristol, Feb. 28th.-
A sad accident occurred this morning, half a mile from Bristol Village, by which
Chalmers W. Brittain was instantly killed. He, with an assistant, named Brooker, was thawing ice, preparatory to starting his flour and grist mill, when he slipped and fell, injuring his neck and becoming wedged in between the large wheel and the wall in such a position that Brooker had to go for assistance before being able to remove the body.
Mr. Brittain was a prominent man in this community, taking an active interest in the Church of England, and also among the Odd Fellows. He leaves a widow and four children.

Dispatch Newspaper July 13, 1904
Fatal Accident
Michael Gallagher Jr. son of Michael Gallagher Sr. of Newburg, a young man 27 years old, was injured in Woodstock on Monday afternoon and died in a few hours from the effect of his injuries. He had driven a double load of furniture to the freight station for shipment about 3 o'clock and left his horses for a moment to enter the station. They became frightened at a shunting engine and started to run. Mr. Gallagher went after them and not succeeding in getting their bridles he fell and two wheels of the heavily loaded waggon went over him, one going over his head, almost severing one ear.
He was taken to the hospital where he died at seven o'clock the same evening. He was conscious almost to the time of his death. Mr Gallagher's sister, Mrs. Brown, who was present at the time of the accident, is frantic with grief.

Dispatch Newspaper Nov 9, 1904
Drowning Accident
John Quigley a man about 50 years of age was drowned in the river here last Friday about noon. He was crossing the Meduxnakeag by the railway bridge when his hat blew off. He followed it down along the shore to a point near the woodworking factory when he took off his coat and walked in to get it, and was unable to get back to shore.
A party at once began to drag the river for the body which was not recovered till Sunday. The deceased leaves three sons and three daughters. He had at one time been a resident of Woodstock but for the last few years has been living in Aroostook County.
At a coronors inquest held on Monday morning the jury brought in a verdict of accidental drowning.

Dispatch Newspaper Nov 9, 1904
Accident Resulting in Death
A terrible accident happened at St. Andrews on Tuesday of last week which resulted in
the death of Mary Louise Stairs, aged 5 1/2 years, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Stairs. The little girl was playing in the yard near where some rubbish was being burned. She got too near the blaze and her clothes caught fire and she was terribly burned before it could be put out. Her mother brought the little girl to the hospital at Woodstock on Tuesday night in the hope that something might be done to save her but nothing could be done. She died on Wednesday morning. The funeral was held on Friday afternoon. The remains were interred in the Kirk cemetery, Northampton.
The service was conducted by the Rev. F. Allison Currier. Mr. Stairs who was working in Montreal arrived in Woodstock on Thursday's express.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Feb 28, 1919
Sergt. Jones and Gunner Hand Given Warm Welcome

Both Boys Saw Hard Service-----Gunner Hand in Hands of Brutal Germans

Two of our boys who have seen long service and under gone many hardships arrived in Halifax on the transport Royal George on the 20th inst and reached home on Friday last. They were
Sergt. R. V. Jones, son of Hon. W.P. and Mrs. Jones, and Gr. Wilfred Hand, son of Mrs. F. W. N. Hand. A large crowd was at the station to meet the returning heroes and give them a very enthusiastic welcome. They were driven to their homes by the reception committee after three lusty cheers had been called for and given.
Before the war
Sergt. Jones was an officer in the 10th Battery C.F.A. having qualified for his rank. After the outbreak of the war he went to Valcartier Camp in charge of a detachment of men from the 10th Battery, but took sick and was sent home. He received an appointment as a lieutenant in the 23rd Battery at Fredericton but two days before that unit sailed was replaced by another officer who was of a more desirable political complexion. Sergt. Jones than obtained permission to resign his rank and enlisted as a gunner with the same Battery, sailing for England in Frebruary 1915.
In the summer of 1915 he went to France with the 22nd Howitzer Battery and soon worked up to the rank of sergeant. He was gassed in the spring of 1917 and was in the hospitals in England for a time, afterwards returning to France to the 22nd Battery. He was again gassed in September last and was in hospital when the armistice was signed. Sergt. Jones was on different occasions recommended for a commission but was unable to pass the medical examination. He looks well and is being greeted most heartily by his townspeople, with whom he is most popular.

Gunner Hand has had the memorable experience of being a prisoner in Germany for two and a half years. He enlisted with the 23rd Battery at Fredericton and went overseas with it. After being in France for a time he volunteered for the French Mortars and was with them when captured in the early part of 1916. He was in five different prison camps in Germany and was subjected to the worst samples of brutality which the Germany mind could devise. He escaped on one occasion in company with another prisoner and got within a stone's throw of the frontier when apprehended.
He had the unique experience of seeing the Kaiser and Hindenburg in a railway coach when he was on a working party. Food was very scarce and had it not been for the boxes sent from England the prisoners would have starved. When the armistice was signed he was in a camp not far from the Dutch frontier and when turned loose had not far to go. He was in England about two months before sailing for home.
"Bib" looks very well considering what he has gone through and is being welcomed very heartily after his trying experiences.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 4, 1919.

Grs. Herbert Faulkner and Emulous Cole, who left here with a draft from the 65th Battery, 2 years ago, arrived home Friday night.

Dvr. Guy Kidney and his brother Thomas Kidney of Northampton, who went overseas together, three years ago, arrived home Friday night, after seeing much active service.

Wm. Sutton, of the 65th Battery, returned Saturday from overseas. He is one of three brothers who enlisted in the empire's defence. One brother, Arch, made the supreme sacrifice Oct. 4, 1918.

Corp. Lester Hull of the 1st C M R's,
is now in Belguim, having spent some months in Germany. Corp. Hull enlisted at the beginning of the war, and in that time has lost three brothers, two having died in service.

Sergt. W E Bartlett and Mrs. Bartlett , (nee Bertha Moore ) have left for Vancouver, where they will reside. Sergt Bartlett first enlisted here in the 65th Battery and was kept in Canada owing to his knowledge of the special branch to which he was appointed.

Dispatch Newspaper July 11, 1917
Three Woodstock Heroes
Three of our Woodstock boys returned from the war
in the persons of Arhtur Glidden, Howard Jacques and Wm. George. They arrived at noon on Tuesday having landed at a Maritime port last week with a large number of other wounded men.

Private P Carten also came to Woodstock with the other boys. He left here with the 140th, was attached to the 26th, and was quite badly wounded in recent fights.

Gunner Howard Jacques, son of Mrs. Howe Jacques, was attached to the 8th C.F.A., and lost an eye and had a leg badly shattered on the Somme. He will receive an honorable discharge.

Gunner Arthur Glidden, son of the late Wm. F. Glidden, was a proprietor of Glidden livery stable when he left here with the draft from the 65th Battery. He was attached to the 18th Battery in France. He was slightly wounded in three places, the body, throat and chin and was generally used up.

William George left here with the 55th and went to France in a draft to an Ontario Battalion in June, 1915, and fought all over the line from where the Belgian soldiers are, down to French line, without being wounded. He was in the trenches from June 1915, to August, 1915, then he had a rest of four months in England. Back he went to the trenches and remained there until March 1917, when he was sent to England, his lungs having been affected by exposure. His most severe fights were on the Somme and at Arras.

His brother, Woodie, was killed on the Somme, Sept. 9th, 1916, and another brother, Theodore J., left here with the 104th, and is now in the trenches.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper June 13, 1919
Soldier Heroes Coming Home
A number of local boys have returned recently, nearly every train bringing one or more.The following are the lastest arrivals:

Lieut. J. Douglas Thompkins arrived here on Friday and is the guest of his father, Col. J. R. Thompkins. He went overseas with a British Columbia unit and saw heavy fighting in France where he was seriously wounded.

Herbert Carr, of the Fourth Division Artillery, received a warm welcome from his friends on his return from active service.

"Joe" Wood, who came from Brocton, Mass., and enlisted here with 104th, returned Saturday, and is spending a few days with friends before going to his home. Joe was a member of the famous Winnipeg Grenadiers, (78th), and went through some thrilling experiences. The regiment was almost wiped out, only five orginal unit being left at the close of the war.

Visitors in Fredericton today included
C. J. M. Sgt. F. L. Mooers, of Woodstock, and his son, Staff Sgt. E. LeRoi Mooers, both of whom served in France with the 13th Railway Battalion and have recently returned home. C.Q.M.S. Mooers was the first man to enlist with the 236th Battalion (McLean Highlanders), and his son transferred from the Army Service Corps detachment to the Klties soon afterwards. They are being warmly welcomed by the many friends they made in Fredericton while stationed here. Staff Sergt. Mooers expects to take up studies soon for the Anglican church ministry.

Pte Fred Malin was among the arrivals Saturday. He was the third name on the enlistment roll of the 55th, but on account of severe illness, was unable to leave with that regiment. After recovering he joined the 104th, and was transferred to the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, going through the stirring times at Cambrai, Arras, and other hot spots. Pte. Malin was given a warm welcome by his many friends.

Pte. Harold Tompkins, of the 44th, is back with a fine record. Father and three sons were in the show, which is a proud family record. The young soldier is in good health and apparently none the worse from his encounter with the Huns.

Stanley Young, another of Woodstock's young heroes who saw considerable fighting, has arrived here and is being warmly welcomed by his friends.


Carleton Sentinel Newspaper June 6, 1919
George Tisdale Gets Busy With Rifle-Shoots Valuable Cow and Fires at Ray Hall
Arrested and Committed for Trial

There was much excitement in Bedell Settlement Tuesday morning over a shooting affray. George Tisdale, an English immigrant who lives with Ray Hall had some altercation with his employer and seized a 22 calibre rifle and rushed out of the house and shot a valuable cow. Hall prevented him from entering the house and Tisdale opened fire, one bullet barely missing Hall.
The father of Hall, who lives a short distance away, came over and was admitted to the house through a window, the door being barricaded.
The father and son armed themselves with a shot gun and a rifle and held the house against the attack of Tisdale, who fired two more shots at the elder Hall.
Sheriff Foster and deputies Mooers and Kimball went to the scene of action and had no difficulty in arresting Tisdale, who was brought to Woodstock and Wednesday morning was arraigned before Police Magistrate Comben and was committed for trial for attempted murder.

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper Dec 16, 1907
Collector's Notice
James Love-Collector of Rates and Taxes
The undermentioned non-resident ratepayers of Parish of Aberdeen, Carleton County, N.B.

  1904 Co Rd 1905 Co Rd 1906 Co Rd 1907 Co Rd Total
Burt Boyer         $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $1.07
Mrs Dan Bell         $0.23 $0.12 $0.19 $0.12 $0.66
Henry Burk         $0.23 $0.12 $0.19 $0.12 $0.66
Heirs Matthew Caldwell         $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $1.07
Joseph B Doherty $0.50 $0.50 $0.40 $0.12 $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $2.59
Timothy Donohoe     $0.40 $0.12 $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $1.59
Frederic Everett $0.63 $0.50 $0.50 $0.24         $1.87
Thomas Mitchell     $0.20 $0.12 $0.23 $0.12 $0.19 $0.12 $0.98
Heirs of Hugh Miller         $8.55 $2.28 $7.22 $2.28 $20.33
E D R Phillips $0.50 $0.50 $0.40 $0.12 $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $2.59
Heirs of Moody Rogers $0.50 $0.50 $0.40 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $2.59
Lonis Rivers     $0.40 $0.12 $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $1.95
Heirs Robert Rogerson     $0.40 $0.12 $0.45 $0.12 $0.38 $0.12 $1.59

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper March 18, 1865
List of Letters
Remaining in Post Office, Woodstock, March 15, 1865.

Barber Mrs George N
Burke Cairns
Cox Jacob
Clark Thomas H
Cameron A
Duffey Joseph
Devburt Edmund
Gesseny' Cary
Gray Miss Mary
Gray S W
Hayden James
Hamilton Albert
Kirk Harriet
Kit William
Keneleson Mary Jane
Morrison Alexander
Malton Charlotte
Nicholson George H
Nichols Stephen
Neil Daniel D
Outhouse Lydia S
Philbrook R W
Purrow Sarah J
Sawyer Sylvester
Sawyer Matie
Smith Thomas
Woolhaupter Handford
Taylor Patrick
JAS. GROVER, Post Master

Carleton Sentinel Newspaper April 1, 1865
At Halifax on the 21st.ult., at the residence of George R. Anderson, Esq., by Rev. John Lathern,
Mr. George Johnson, Druggist, to Mary Ann, youngest daughter of the late J. M. Connell, Esq., of Woodstock.

The Angel of Death has again visited us, and taken from the fond embrace of his parents,
the earth form of Wm. D. Chapman, aged 12 years, third son of Gimarin and Mary Chapman.
Little William passed from earth life to his bright home in the spirits land, March 23rd.
His sickness, diptheria was of short duration; in fourteen days he has been cut down, transferred from us to his angel home.
He was the light of the house, the pride of his parent's hearts, dear to his brothers and sisters none knew him but to love him.

At her residence, Woodstock, on the 26th March, ult., after a lingering illness,
Jane, wife of David Jones, aged 50 years.
The deceased was formerly a resident of Hampton, King's Co.


Carleton County HomePage