Parish of Norton
- In 1784, New Brunswick, previously a part of Nova Scotia, became a Province.
- In 1785, Kings County located in central New Brunswick, (bounded on north by Queens County,
on the south by St. John County, on the west by Charlotte County, and on the east by Albert and
Westmorland Counties) was established with 4 parishes: Westfield, Sussex, Springfield and Kingston.
- In 1786, the parishes of Westfield, Sussex, Springfield and Kingston were created
- in 1795, the Parish of Sussex was divided into Sussex, Hampton and Norton. It did not include Lower Norton, which was part of Kingston, until 1844.
Name changes in the Parish:
- Bloomfield Station/Bloomfield Ridge/The Ridge/Norton/Central Norton to Bloomfield
- Patticake/Patty Cake to Passekeag
- Dickie's Mountain/Green Hill to Dickie Mountain
- Norton Station to Norton
BOOKS FOR SALE at The Kings County Museum, Hampton, N B, Canada
- Gone But Not Forgotten Vol. #4 Cemetery Inscriptions of Kings Co., New Brunswick - Norton, Springfield and Kars Parishes.
by John R. Elliot
- The Bloomfield Area Remembered
The nearly 500 pages of print and photos tell about Bloomfield Corner, Bloomfield Station, Bloomfield Ridge, Passekeag, Dickie Mountain, Guthrie Road, Central Norton and Warneford.
by David G. Keirstead
Ruby's Bookshelf - New Brunswick Books
Genealogy - History - Other Topics - Rare - Out of Print
New and Used Books
Prices are given in Canadian Currency.
- Simon Baxter - The first United Empire Loyalist to settle in New Brunswick, (Canada). His ancestry and descendants by Hon. John B. M. Baxter, Chief Justice of New Brunswick - A Great-Great Grandson. Published by The New Brunswick Museum (Historical Section) 1943.
For more information click - Simon Baxter
- Early Schools of Kings County, New Brunswick. Published by the Kings County Retired Teachers' Association. Printed in 1983. This 272 page book contains information on 180 schools of Kings County.
For more information click - Kings County Schools
- Parish of Christ Church, Norton, New Brunswick by J E Hoyt.
For more information click - Parish of Christ Church, Norton, New Brunswick
Family names - Parish of Norton; Lovell Directory 1871:
|Charles Baxter ||farmer ||Central Norton
|Elijah Baxter ||farmer || Norton|
|Joseph D.Baxter ||postmaster & storekeeper || Norton Station|
|William H. Baxter ||farmer || Norton Station|
|David Smith ||farmer || Passekeag|
|Irvine Smith ||farmer || Norton|
|John T. Smith ||farmer || Norton|
|Joseph Pickle ||carriagemaker || Central Norton|
FAMILY AND LOCAL HISTORIES
Many family and local histories at the Provincial Archives are found in the Family Histories Collection (MC1) and in the New Brunswick Publications Collection (MC80).
The following are available on interlibrary loan.
|Allison, Leonard: Notebooks, ||1900 ||F14006 & F14007
|Church histories: || Gorham Manuscripts ||F1284
|Crawford, Benjamin: ||Diaries 1800-1837 ||F10988 to F10990
|Flewelling: ||Family History 1788-1835 ||F363
|Gorham, Beryla: Kingston: ||History 1911-1941 ||F9056
|Hampton: History: ||CNBHS, Vol. 18, 1963 ||F792
|Holder, E. Jacob: ||Diary 1867-1875 || F569
|Hubly, A. M.: ||Biography 1846-1937 || F14013
|Kennebecasis: ||Waterbury, David: CNBHS, Vol. 12, 1928 ||F792
|Kings County Schools: ||Arthur Keith Scrapbook, ||F15463
|Kingston: ||John Fisher Memorial Library History, 1742-1966 ||F9468 to F9471
||Kingston: ||Kingston & The Loyalists 1783 by Walter Bates ||F7634
|Kingston: ||Local History: Pickett Collection, 1800-1895 ||F7633
|Kingston: ||History: Wetmore Collection 1662 ||F9469
|Kingston: ||Parish History: Gorham Manuscripts ||F1283
|Loyalist Studies: ||Kings County Recs 1767-1877 ||F365
|McHarg, Alex: ||Papers: Diaries 1836-1880 ||F681 to F683
|McHarg, Lizzie: ||Biographical: Poetry 1860-1880 ||F683
|McKenzie, Malcolm: ||Family History 1772-1812 ||F367
|Nase, Henry: ||Diary 1776-1797 ||F367
|Norton: ||History: CNBHS, Vol. 18, 1963 ||F792
|Pickett Collection: ||Family History & Diaries, 1767-1914 ||F7633 & F7634
|Pickett, David: ||Family History 1785-1794 ||F369
|Sussexvale: ||Aiton, Grace: CNBHS, Vol. 18, 1963 ||F792
|Tombstone epitaphs || ||F11840
|Wetmore: ||Family History ||F9469
|Whelpley:|| Family History 1800-1900 ||F9471