This File was Donated by John Stevens For More info Click on his name.
Descendants of David Quigley of Grand Manan Island, NB
Generation No. 1
1. DAVID1 QUIGLEY, SR was born Abt. 1760, and died Abt. 1840. He married REBECCA 1790. She was born Abt. 1760, and died Abt. 1840.
Notes for DAVID QUIGLEY, SR:
The reason why I have an interest in the Quigleys of Grand Manan Island is because I believe that David Quigley, Jr. married Martha Morse, the widow of Elisha Smith.
The Quigleys and Benjamin Woodbury were living in Trescott, Washington Co., Maine for the 1830 census. One male 15-20, 1 male 70-80 (David,Sr,), 1 female 10-15, 1 female 60-70 (Rebecca).
The Quigley name became extinct at Grand Manan about 1840. One son of Martha (Morse) Smith Quigley Pentelow was of the Parish of St. George, Charlotte Co.
Children of DAVID QUIGLEY and REBECCA are:
2. i. DAVID2 QUIGLEY, JR., b. Abt. 1795; d. Bef. 1838, Grand Manan, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick.
ii. JANE QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1800; m. SAMUEL WOODBURY, June 04, 1817, Gand Manan Island; b. Abt. 1800.
Notes for SAMUEL WOODBURY:
Missing from the 1821 Census of Grand Manan. There was a Benjamin Woodbury who HAD a wife Mary and 3 daughters over 16 and another under 16 but no sons. Benjamin may have been Samual Woodbury's father.
The 1830 census of Trescott, Washington Co., ME shows David Sr., David Jr. and Benjamin Woodbury all adjacent top each other.
iii. WILLIAM QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1805.
Notes for WILLIAM QUIGLEY:
William Quigley who was of Eastport Maine for the 1830 censusis Most likely belongs hear.
3. iv. JAMES WENTWORTH QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1815, Grand Manan; d. Abt. 1855, probably Lubec, ME.
Generation No. 2
2. DAVID2 QUIGLEY, JR. (DAVID1) was born Abt. 1795, and died Bef. 1838 in Grand Manan, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick. He married MARTHA MORSE Bef. 1821 in Gand Manan Island, Charlotte Co., NB, daughter of JOHN MORSE and POLLY CASTLE. She was born Abt. 1797 in Possibly Vermont, and died July 24, 1878 in Bliss Island, St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB1.
Notes for DAVID QUIGLEY, JR.:
He probably married Martha (Morse) Smith, widow of Elisha, before 1821 as his only wife. David Quigley, Jr. was next door to John and Mary (Morse) Sprague for the 1821 Cenus of Grand Manan.
David & and his father moved their respective families to Trescott,, Wahington, Co., ME between 1821 and 1830.
David, Jr., Quigley had the following Family for the 1830 Trescott Census:
2 males under 5, 1 male 20-30 (David, JR.), 2 females 5-10, 2 females 10-15, 1 female 20-30(Martha).
I believe David Quigley,Jr., & Martha Quigley should have been enumerated as age 30-40.
Notes for MARTHA MORSE:
In all probability, Martha m. David Quigley as her second husband There is an entry in the Grand Manan(Charlotte Co.) marriage records that Martha Quigley, widow, married John Pentelow(elsewhere Pentelore ) on December 1, 1837. He would be Martha's 3rd husband.They settled on Bliss Island in the Charlotte Parish of St, George. According to Charlotte Co. Deeds John Pentelow and his wife, Martha, sold land on Bliss Island in 1870 and 1878. See Charlotte Co. Deeds 18:437 & 28:342. Both deeds were John Pentelow to William Quigley
Anglican Burial Records of "Saint George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB 1877-1879" PANB Film # F-8282 records: John Pentelow of Bliss Island was buried @ age 76 on May 12, 1879 and Miss Pentelow of Bliss Island was buried @ age 83 on June 30, 1878.
Also: See St. George Rural Cemetery Records where James (sic) Pentlow according to Tombstone Transcription died on May 11, 1876 (Sic> 1879) at age 76. & Martha Pentlow died June 28, 1878 @ age 85.
Children of DAVID QUIGLEY and MARTHA MORSE are:
i. MARGARET3 QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1823; m. NATHANIEL SPINNEY, November 02, 1843, St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB2.
Notes for MARGARET QUIGLEY:
Most likely a daughter of David Quigley, Jr. and Martha (Morse)
4. ii. WILLIAM QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1826, Grand Manan Island, Charlotte Co., NB; d. Abt. 1903, St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB.
3. JAMES WENTWORTH2 QUIGLEY (DAVID1) was born Abt. 1815 in Grand Manan, and died Abt. 1855 in probably Lubec, ME. He married ELMIRA SPRAGUE November 16, 1839 in Grand Manan3, daughter of JOHN SPRAGUE and MARY MORSE. She was born Abt. 1819 in Grand Manan, and died Aft. 1870 in Cherryfield, ME.
Notes for JAMES WENTWORTH QUIGLEY:
According to gravestone Wentworth died at age 42. Date of his death is unreadable. Best guess is that it stated day of death at April 25, 1853. He was 37 for the 1850 census. He would have been 42 in the year 1855.
Children of JAMES QUIGLEY and ELMIRA SPRAGUE are:
i. REBECCA3 QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1840.
ii. DAVID QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 18424; d. December 28, 18625.
Notes for DAVID QUIGLEY:
Served as a Private in Co. G of the 6th Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. Enlisted on 15 July, 1861 at age 19.. Age at death 20 years 6 Months. David died of sickness and was discharged on 29th December 1862 at Hagerstown, Maryland. He reportedly died on the 28th of December 1862 according to a MOCA SIP Tombstone Transcription found at the Maine State Library in Augusta, ME.
iii. JOHN C. QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 18476; d. June 19, 1864, City Point7.
Notes for JOHN C. QUIGLEY:
Died from desease while serving in the Civil War( Company G of ME Heavy Artillary Regiment. Enlisted as a private on December 8, 1863 at age 18 years. Died of disease on June 9, 1864.
iv. LEONARD W. QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1851, Lubec, ME8; d. August 18, 1875, Lost at sea9.
Notes for LEONARD W. QUIGLEY:
Leonard W. Quigley was listed as a son of Elmiria Quigley in the 1860 Census of Cherryfield, ME age 9. He may have been the Willard Quigley that died on March 19, 1860 and is buried in the Morse Cemetery on the Ridge in Cherryfield, If he was then the Leonard Quigley who was lost at sea on 18 August 1875 at age 22 (b. ca. 1853) as gleaned from the Lubec Vital Records was not a member of this family.
v. WENTWORTH QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 185510.
vi. WILLARD QUIGLEY11, b. Bef. 186012; d. March 19, 1860, Cherryfield, ME13.
Notes for WILLARD QUIGLEY:
Willard Quigley could be the child Leonard W. Quigley listed in the 1860 census, age 9. as a son of Elmiria Quigley. There may have been 2 Leonard Quigley. A Lubec Vital Record published by Pat Townsend's "Vital Records of Lubec Maine - Prior to 1892', Picton Press, Camcen, ME 1996, p.232 has Leonard Quigley lost at sea on 18 August 1875, age 22 (b. ca. 1853..
Generation No. 3
4. WILLIAM3 QUIGLEY (DAVID2, DAVID1) was born Abt. 1826 in Grand Manan Island, Charlotte Co., NB, and died Abt. 1903 in St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB. He married EMILY UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1826, and died Abt. 1901 in St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB.
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM QUIGLEY and EMILY UNKNOWN:
William Quigley had issue. Wife unknown. May have had a son James Wentworth Quigley.
Children of WILLIAM QUIGLEY and EMILY UNKNOWN are:
i. MARY4 QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1851.
ii. JAMES WENTWORTHY QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1854.
iii. MARTHA QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1856.
iv. ANAS QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1858.
1. PANB - Anglican Burials 1877-1879 St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB F-8282.
2. PANB Anglican Weddings 1838-1843 St. George Parish, Charlotte Co., NB F-8282.
3. Grand Harbour Episcopal Church Marriages (1833-1845) & Family Genealogy.
4. Estimated from 1860 Census.
5. MOCA SIP Tombstone Transcription.
6. Estimated from 1860 Census.
7. MOCA SIP Tombstone Transcription.
8. Estimated from 1860 Census.
9. "Vital Records of Lubec, ME", Townsend.
10. Estimated from 1861 Census.
11. Recorded by John Stevens 1979, Tombstone Inscription Morse Cemetery, Ridge Road, Cherryfield, ME.
12. Estimated from 1860 Census.
13. Recorded by John Stevens 1979, Tombstone Inscription Morse Cemetery, Ridge Road, Cherryfield, ME.