PARISHES IN CHARLOTTE COUNTY

In 1785, as part of the formation of the new province of New Brunswick, Charlotte County was established as one of the original counties.  7 original  parishes were set off but they did not include all the lands assigned to the County. These 7 parishes were later subdivided as warranted by population increases. Today in the year 2000, Charlotte County has 15 parishes.

         ST. STEPHEN - set off nearly as is today, but for a period (1813-1873) it included lands that are
                now  in other areas.

          ST. DAVID - Nearly as at present

          ST. ANDREWS - Nearly as at present, but included St. Croix

          ST. PATRICK - Nearly as at present, but did not extend as far north.  In 1814 it extended to the
                 County line thus took in Dumbarton

          ST. GEORGE - Extended only about half its northern depth until 1814

          PENNFIELD - Included Lepreau, and assumed to extend north to County line in 1814

          WEST ISLES - Included Campobello until 1803, Grand Manan until 1816, Moose, Frederick and
                  Dudley Islands until they were transfered to the US in 1817

          CAMPOBELLO - Set off in 1823 from West Isles, as at present

         GRAND MANAN - Set off in 1823 from West Isles, as at present

         ST. JAMES - Set off in 1823 from unassigned lands and part of St. Stephen

         DUMBARTON - Set off in 1856 from St. Patrick

         LEPREAU - Set off in 1859 from Pennfield

        CLARENDON- Set off in 1869 from unassigned land (* or Pennfield and Lepreau)

        DUFFERIN - Set off in 1873 from St. Stephen

        ST. CROIX - Set off in 1874 from St. Andrews, altered slightly in 1896

          (* see Clarendon - No legal justification was found to credit these lands to Pennfield although
              maps credit  them  to this Parish after 1814.)

Return to Index