|Kings County GenWeb
New Brunswick - Canada
Hammond Parish History
|Hammond Parish is one of fifteen parishes which
make up Kings County, New Brunswick, and was settled as early as the 1810's,
as some of the descendants of the Loyalists as well as immigrants predominantly
from Ireland but also from England, Scotland and Germany moved further
into the hinterland of New Brunswick in search of grants of land.
In the 1810's, when the settlers began to inhabit this area, it was known as part of the Hampton Parish. At this point there were only 7 parishes in Kings County; Westfield (1786), Kingston (1786), Sussex (1786), Springfield (1786), Greenwich (from Kingston in 1795), Norton (from Kingston and Sussex in 1795), and Hampton (formed in 1795 as well from territory originally within Sussex and Kingston parishes).
In 1835, the Hampton Parish was sub-divided into two separate parishes; Hampton and Upham. Upham included both the modern-day parish of Upham as well as modern-day Hammond Parish.
In 1858, this territory was again sub-divided, with Hammond Parish coming into being as a separate parish from the Upham Parish.
In 1874, it was again altered a bit as Waterford Parish was formed from the larger Sussex Parish. Prior to this last alteration, its northern boundary was a straight line starting as below and running roughly to the southeast corner of the parish and of the county. Territory above an imaginary line formed by following the northern boundary in a straight line was territory added in 1874.
The central feature which runs through some of Hammond Parish is, of course, the Hammond River. This river's beginnings are found in Hammond Parish, as can be seen in the map below, but it flows through Upham Parish and Hampton Parish on its route towards the Kennebecasis River at the community known as Hammond River, sitting at its mouth.
Hammond Parish is surrounded by the following: on the east, it is bordered by Albert County; on the north it is bordered by Sussex Parish and by Waterford Parish; on the west it is bordered by Upham Parish; on the south it is bordered by St. Martins Parish in Saint John County.