|Kings County was
one of the eight original Counties formed when New Brunswick came into
being. It has retained much the same boundaries as it had when formed,
although it did experience some changes on its eastern line. It had four
original parishes*, and now has 15. The original
parishes of Kings county were created in 1786 and given the names Kingston,
Sussex, Springfield and Westfield.
Cardwell Parish - set
off in 1874 from Sussex Parish
Greenwich Parish - set
off from Kingston Parish in 1796
Hammond Parish - set
off in 1858 from Upham Parish in 1835, with alterations in 1874
Hampton Parish - set
off parts of Kingston and Sussex Parishes in 1796, and included
all of what are now Upham Parish until 1835; Hammond Parish until 1858;
and Rothesay Parish until 1870
Havelock Parish - set
off in 1845 from Studholm Parish
Kars Parish - set off
in 1859 from Kingston Parish
Kingston Parish* - Included
Greenwich and part of Norton Parishes until 1795; Kars Parish until
Norton Parish - set off
from Kingston Parish in 1796
Rothesay Parish - set
off in 1870 from Hampton Parish
Springfield Parish* -
Included part of Studholm Parish until 1840; all of Havelock Parish until
1845. It was reduced to present size in 1899.
Studholm Parish - set
off in 1840 from Sussex Parish. Included Havelock Parish until 1845
Sussex Parish* - It included
parts of Norton & Hampton Parishes until 1796; Upham Parish until
1835; Studholm Parish until 1840; Hammond Parish until 1858; Rothesay Parish
until 1870; and Cardwell & Waterford Parishes until 1874. There were
many changes before it was reduced to its present size.
Upham Parish - set of
from Hampton in 1835. Included Hammond. Altered to present size in
Waterford Parish - set
off in 1874 from Sussex Parish
Westfield Parish* - It
was altered slightly in 1796, but remains much the same as formed.
EAST RIVERSIDE-KINGSHURST: An excellent
article about East Riverside-Kingshurst
FAIRVALE: Once known as FAIR LEIGH. In 1909
was renamed FairVale Station after a newly built railway stattion. Then
became known as FAIRVALE.
HAMPTON: Settlement began about 1783 with the arrival
of the Loyalists. Hampton Station is situated half way between Moncton
and Saint John. In 1871 Hampton became the townshire for King's County.
At this time the Jail was moved from Kingston to Hampton. Hampton
RENFORTH: The village of Renforth had been known
as "The Chalet" until 1903. It was named Renforth, after James Renforth,
a celebrated English oarsman, died during a championship race between the
English "Tyne" crew and the famous New Brunswick "Paris" crew. ROWING
the LEGACY OF RENFORTH
Also be sure to
read about Fox Farm Road at this website!
ROTHESAY: Rothesay for the Prince of Wales, one of
whose titles is Duke of Rothesay. It was named in August 1860. It
is said to have reminded him of Rothesay, Bute, in Scotland. Town
A Coat of Arms and Flag was presented to the Town of Rothesay
on Friday, June 4, 1999.
Be sure to visit the website: "Rothesay the Living Museum"
WELLS: Began as a settlement in the late 1800's. Closely
located to French Village.
Be sure to visit Kennebecasis Island -
The proximity of Kingston Parish to Saint John City,
has led to many events in the lives of its residents to take place in the
city. In fact, in years gone by, it was not uncommon for whole families
to live in Saint John during the winter months and return to the land in
time for spring planting. Or for families of mariners to wile away the
long months of separation there. With this in mind, it is wise to consider
that such events as marriages might well have occurred there.
The Kingston Peninsula was early an area for ship building,
and has also supplied New Brunswick with many river and sea captains. Once
a ships was built, the local mariners sailed it to Saint John, and often
on to the British Isles where it was sold. Occasionally these ships were
built for local sale, and then sailed away to follow the international
A voyage would take up much of the year. Several years
ago, I had typed up letters to and from family members involved in such
a voyage. These letters gave an insight into the lives of those who stayed
at home, as well as the shipping trade in that era. Sailing Days (The Holder
Family) and the Crawford Diary, fills in our knowledge of the era. I think
both items are at the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (PANB), and
would be well worth the time spent reading them, even if they are not of
our own lineage.
The Gorham manuscript(s), also at PANB, and recorded in part
under the title of R.
P. Gorham Collection , is a collection of Historical data, and
brief accounts of Loyalist settlers in the area of Kingston Parish.
When New Brunswick was still part of
Nova Scotia (in the pre Loyalist era) the lands that were set apart as
the Township of Conway extended up the Saint John River to encompas part
of the land now within Kings County. (see: The Studholm
Report and the accompanying
Also, some land quit rent, for land owners in Wickham
Parish, Queens County, were paid to Kings County. The quit rent books are
at the Archives in Fredericton. (Information received from Ernest Graham,
Kings County, N. B.)