Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

PARISHES IN CHARLOTTE COUNTY

    In 1785, as part of the formation of the new province of New Brunswick, Charlotte County was established as one of the original counties. 7 original parishes were set off but they did not include all the lands assigned to the County. These 7 parishes were later subdivided as warranted by population increases. Today in the year 2006, Charlotte County has 15 parishes.

         ST. STEPHEN - set off nearly as is today, but for a period (1813-1873) it included lands that are now in
                                     other areas.

         ST. DAVID - Nearly as at present.

         ST. ANDREWS - Nearly as at present, but included St. Croix.

         ST. PATRICK - Nearly as at present, but did not extend as far north. In 1814 it extended to the
                                     County line thus took in Dumbarton.

         ST. GEORGE - Extended only about half its northern depth until 1814.

         PENNFIELD - Included Lepreau, and assumed to extend north to County line in 1814.

         WEST ISLES - Included Campobello until 1803, Grand Manan until 1816, Moose, Frederick and
                                   Dudley Islands until they were transferred to the US in 1817.

         CAMPOBELLO - Set off in 1823 from West Isles, as at present.

         GRAND MANAN - Set off in 1823 from West Isles, as at present.

         ST. JAMES - Set off in 1823 from unassigned lands and part of St. Stephen.

         DUMBARTON - Set off in 1856 from St. Patrick.

         LEPREAU - Set off in 1859 from Pennfield.

         CLARENDON - Set off in 1869 from unassigned land (* or Pennfield and Lepreau).

         DUFFERIN - Set off in 1873 from St. Stephen.

         ST. CROIX - Set off in 1874 from St. Andrews, altered slightly in 1896.

         (* see Clarendon - No legal justification was found to credit these lands to Pennfield although
              maps credit them to this Parish after 1814).

Return to Pennfield Parish Home Page