John Munroe served as a private in the Hussar troop of
the Queens Rangers. For a good part of his service, he was in the regiment of
John Graves Simcoe.
His name is listed on the muster rolls from 25 Apr 1779 through 24 Aug 1779 and 25 Aug 1780 though 24 Apr 1783 (last known muster roll). He served in companies under Capt. James Murray, Capt. Alexander Wickham, Lt. Alan McNab and Capt. John Saunders.
John's troop was disbanded at Saint John on 14 Oct 1783. He drew Lot #759 in Parr-town (now City of Saint John) and was granted Lot #439 at Carleton (now West Saint John). It is doubtful that he actually settled at either place.
He was married to Hannah Cross in Maugerville in 1791 and in 1793 he had a lot on Grand Lake, Sunbury County. In about 1803, he moved his family to Pennfield, where he received a land grant in 1815 of 220 acres for his service with the Queen's Rangers.
Return to Pennfield Parish
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 by G. Christian Larsen