Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

PENNFIELD RIDGE

Homesteading (1935)

    Identification of the various houses, out-buildings, etc. has been provided by the children of Ernest and Bertha (Hawkins) McDowell who basically grew up in the shadow of the Air Station. Further assistance has also been provided by John Hawkins and Art Hawkins, two long time Pennfield Ridge residents.

North Side of the Road

Boyd House: Homestead of John Boyd (1839-1928) and his wife Eliza Ann McKay (1839-1922). It was later occupied by their son James U. Boyd (1868-1943).

Pennfield School House: One room school house serving the students from Pennfield Ridge and surrounding area. It was moved to the South side in September 1940. For photograph of school, click here. 

Tatton House: House belonging to J Albert Tatton (1851-1934) and his wife E Anne (Reid) Tatton (1855-1936). It was later occupied by Reginald Ray Hatt and his wife Marion Allen (Jones) Hatt. After the house and land was acquired by the Air Station, Reg & his wife moved to Beaver Harbour where they lived for several years.

McDowell House: House belonging to Ernest A McDowell (1903-1978) & his wife Bertha G Hawkins (1904-1998). This residence, along with the school house, were moved to the South side of the road in September 1940.

Hawkins House: House belonging to F Ernest Hawkins (1891-1981) and his wife Elma L Corscadden (1905-1993). This residence was moved "about one mile out the road" in September 1940 to make room for the Air Station. Ern, as he was commonly known, was a farmer, blueberry grower, and even a game warden at various times in his life. Ern also served in the Canadian Army in World War I, fighting in and surviving the Battle of Vimy Ridge. "Vimy Ridge will be remembered as a baptism of fire for Canadians and a coming of age for the young nation of Canada."

South Side of the Road

McDowell Barn: Second barn belonging to Ernest and Bertha (Hawkins) McDowell.

Hawkins House: House belonging to Raymond B Hawkins (1899-1973) and his wife Hazel M Maxwell (1904-1984). Ray, as he was commonly known, was a brother to Ern Hawkins (above) and also served in World War l. He enlisted on December 1, 1916, but was not sent overseas until 19 years of age. He suffered the effects of muster gas as a result of his wartime service.

Homesteading (1945)

    Identification of the various houses, out-buildings, etc. has been provided by the children of Ernest and Bertha (Hawkins) McDowell who basically grew up in the shadow of the Air Station. Further assistance has also been provided by John Hawkins and Art Hawkins, two long time Pennfield Ridge residents.

 

North Side of the Road

Tatton House: This was mainly the only house that remained on the North side of the road on the land acquired for the Air Station. It was maintained and used by the military during the war, even to the point a structure was built over the well to maintain it as a secondary source of water for the base. A portion of the Tatton house is seen within the following photograph, click here.

South Side of the Road

Businesses: Several businesses sprang up (mainly restaurants) that served both the civilian population and military personnel during the wartime. If anyone has additional information on any of these businesses and/or the proprietors, please contact me.

Scovil's Pool Hall: 

Located on a parcel leased from Ernest Alvin & Bertha Gertrude McDowell to John Walker Scovil (Merchant), Henry A. Scovil (Manager) and J. Starr Tait (Barrister-at-law). The lease, signed 4 July 1941, was to run for three years at $200.00 per year, in four quarterly payments, with the first payment due 4 October 1941. The land had 100' frontage along the highway and 200' along the Seelye's Cove Road. The lease was assigned to His Majesty The King 25 November 1943 when the base began to expand on the South side of the highway.


Scovil's Pool Hall

McDowell House: House belonging to Ernest and Bertha McDowell which was moved to the South side of the road in September 1940. Once further expansion of the Air Station began on the South side of the road, the McDowell family were expropriated from their land in September 1942.

Return to Pennfield Ridge Air Station Page
Return to Pennfield Parish Home Page