George, Nov. 17 - A quiet wedding was solemnized in St. Marks Church on Tuesday
evening, November 3, when the rector, Rev. B.T. Keith, united in marriage Mrs.
Helen Jane Gillmor and Flight Lieutenant Brian Pomeroy Furneaux.
Given in marriage by Daniel P. Gillmor, K.C., the bride was wearing a two-piece wool suit of powder blue, with hat and shoes of brown, and a corsage of pink roses.
Mrs. George Frawley presided at the organ and played for the processional the Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin and Mendelssohn's Wedding March for the recessional.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride, where the rooms were decorated with mauve chrysanthemums. In the dining room the table was centered with a tiered wedding cake flanked by ivory candles in crystal candelabra. Mrs. A.F. Steeves of New Glasgow, N.S., presided and friends assisted in serving.
Later the bride and groom left on a wedding trip. For traveling the bride wore a teal blue hat trimmed with beaver and matching accessories.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - November 19, 1942.
Pennfield, Dec. 26 - A quiet wedding was solemnized in St. Mark's Church, St.
George, on Dec. 23rd, when the Rev. Bliss T. Keith united in marriage Kathleen
N. Armstrong, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Armstrong of Pennfield Ridge, to
Corporal Herbert Lewis Ancrum (R.A.F.), son of Mr. and Mrs. W.G. Ancrum of
The bride entered the church to the stains of the Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin, on the arm of her brother, Daryl, who gave her in marriage. Miss Alice Boyd presided at the organ and played nuptial music during the ceremony.
The bride was attired in a street length dress of Tropical Blue of Transparent Velvet with matching accessories, and carried an arm bouquet of American Beauty Roses. She wore an American Oppossum coat, the gift of the groom.
She was attended by Mrs. Howard Justason as matron of honor, who was attired in a street length dress of rose crepe with Black accessories and carried a bouquet of Talisman roses.
Howard Justason acted as groomsman. The bridal party left the church to the strains of Mendelssohn's Wedding March. Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents. Many useful gifts were presented to the young couple, including a gift of money from the bride's father.
The young couple will reside at Pennfield where the groom is stationed with the Royal Air Force.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - December 31, 1942.
Harbour, Dec. 28 - A quiet wedding was solemnized in the Stella Maris Church at
Black's Harbour on Wednesday morning at 8:00 p.m. when the Rev. Ronald B.
MacGillivray united in marriage with nuptial mass, Perina Julia, daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. Joseph Cormier of Cocagne, N.B., and L.A.C. Dennis Clark, son of Mrs.
and the late Harold Clark of Kidderminster, Worcestershire, England.
The bride wore a street-length dress of autumn gold crepe with hat, gloves and accessories of brown and carried a gold prayer book. She was attended by Mrs. James McFarlane, who wore a street-length dress of forest green crepe, a matching hat with trimming of black fur and black accessories. James McFarland was groomsman.
The wedding breakfast was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. McFarlane to immediate relatives and friends. The table was covered with a lace cloth and decorated with festive trimmings. After a short wedding trip the young couple will reside in Pennfield.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - December 31, 1942.
River, July 16th - A quiet wedding of interest to many friends was solemnized at
the United Baptist parsonage on Friday evening at 7 o'clock, when the pastor,
Rev. D.F. MacDormand, united in marriage, Mary Jane Gillmor, oldest daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Roswell Gillmor and L.A.C. Cyril Fairfield Judd of the R.A.F.
stationed at Pennfield, N.B.
The bride looked charming in a costume of rose crepe and wore a white hat and white accessories. She carried an arm bouquet of sweetheart roses.
She was attended by Miss Frances Gillmor, who wore a street length dress of Queen's blue crepe with blue felt hat and white accessories. Flying Officer J. MacRitchie acted as groomsman.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roswell Gillmor. Those serving were, Mrs. Myer Krutt, Mrs. Wesley Hall, Mrs. Roland Lee, Lois Lee, Joanna Gillmor and Miss Frances Gillmor.
The bride is a graduate of the St. George High School and a teacher in public school for the past year.
Out of town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Gillmor, Dawes Gillmore, Mrs. F.V. Maxwell, Mrs. Myer Knutt.
Mr. Judd is the son of Mrs. N. Judd, Leicester, England.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - July 29, 1943.
Summer Bridal Of Wide Interest Solemnized At St. Andrews Church
society wedding of interest to friends in New Brunswick and in Western Canada
took place on Saturday afternoon, August 7, in Greenock Presbyterian Church, St.
Andrews-by-the-Sea, when the minister Rev. Dr. Samuel Davies united in marriage
Miss Margaret Joyce MacNichol, daughter of Mrs. and the late F.P. MacNichol,
"Drumore," St. Andrews, and Squadron Leader Henry Robert Christie,
R.C.A.F., son of Mrs. and the late R.H. Christie of Edmonton, Alberta. The
church was beautifully decorated by girl friends of the bride with white
gladioli and Africian daisies, and the guest pews were marked with clusters of
sweetpeas and gypsophila.
The bride entered the church with her brother, Lt. Frank MacNichol, R.C.N.V.R., who gave her in marriage. She was attended by Mrs. Francis Lyman of Montreal as matron of honor, and Dr. J.W. Gerrie of Montreal was groomsman. The ushers were Flight Lieutenant Peter Elverston, R.A.F., Flight Lieutenant Graham Steward, R.A.F., Squadron Leader Alan Skinner, R.A.F., and Captain James Andrews, R.C.A.D.C. The processional was "The Bridal Chorus" from Lohengrin. During the service the choir sang "O Perfect Love" and during the signing of the register the selection was "Ave Maria." The organ recessional was Mendelssohn's "Wedding March."
The bride wore a gown of white duchess satin, the tightly fitted bodice having a long tapering sleeves in finger length and the fullness of the skirt extending into a train. Her veil of palest pink bridal tulle was held in place by a coronet, and her only ornament was pearl and diamond brooch of her mothers. She carried a bouquet of white gladioli and gypsophila.
Mrs. Lyman was wearing a (?) crepe gown with beaded girdle and matching flowered hat. She carried a bouquet of sweetpeas and gypsophila.
Mrs. MacNichol, mother of the bride wore a blue figured French crepe gown, and a large matching hat. Her corsage was of roses. Mrs. Christie, mother of the groom, was wearing a grey and blue silk ensemble, and corsage of roses.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at "Drumore," the home of the bride's mother, where the decorations were carried out with a profusion of roses and sweetpeas. The wedding party received in the drawing room under a large floral bell. In the diningroom the bride's table was centred with a crystal bowl of sweetpeas and gypsophila. The toast to the bride was proposed by Dr. Herbert S. Everett of St. Stephen, and the groom happily responded.
Later Squadron Leader and Mrs. Christie left on a wedding trip to an unannounced destination and on their return will reside for the present at St. Andrews. For traveling the bride chose a navy blue tailored suit and a white blouse. Her small hat was of blue and white check, and her corsage was of pink carnations. The bride is a niece of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Treat Paine of Boston, Mass., and of Mrs. Laura Ford MacNichol of Darien, Conn. She attended school at an early age in London, England, and in Paris and later was a student at Miss Edgar's school in Montreal, and graduated from the Lowe-Haywood School in Connecticut. She studied portraiture in London, England, and has had several exhibitions in New York. She was presented at Their Majesties Court in May 1937.
The groom is a graduate of the University of Alberta, and of McGill University with the degree of M.D. He has since taken post-graduate courses in New York. Among the guests at the wedding were: Mrs. W.F. Todd, Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Todd, Dr. and Mrs. H.S. Everett, all of St. Stephen; Mrs. J. Carleton Brown, Lady Allan, Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. R.M. Redmond, Hon. Marguerite Shaughnessy, Mrs. Edward Maxwell, Mrs. G. Horne Russell, Wing Officer Willa Walker, R.C.A.F. (W.D.), Mrs. Robert Loring, Mrs. Laurence Hart, Capt. and Mrs. Robert McLennon, all of Montreal; Mrs. Leonard Tilley and the Misses C.J. and S.R. MacLaren, of Saint John; Mr. and Mrs. Sidney C. Oland, Mrs. Frank MacNichol, Mr. and Mrs. Norman Stanbury, Mrs. Jack McAvery, all of Halifax; Mr. and Mrs. Hon. Catrine Wilson, Mrs. Murray Vaughan, of Ottawa; Guy Murchie, Nassau, the Bahamas; Mrs. M.E. Heaney, Miss Elizabeth Heaney and Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Eaton, Calais, Me.; Mrs. Jean D'Ary, St. Louis; the Misses Marris Mayer and Mrs. R. Fraser Keay, Miss G. Helen Mowatt, St. Andrews; Dr. and Mrs. A.G. Huntsman, Toronto; Mrs. William Breeze, Washington, D.C.; Mr. and Mrs. Clinton Gray, New York; Group Captain Anthony Leach, M.C., R.A.F., Squadron Leader K. Forsythe, D.F.C., R.A.F. and Mrs. Forsythe; Wing Commander Donald Gibson, R.A.F, and Mrs. Gibson, Squadron Leader A.G. Gill, R.A.F. and Squadron Leader H. Bell, R.A.F.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - August 19, 1943.
Pretty Wedding At Black's Har. Church
P.O. Rothernel, R.C.A.F., of Regina, Weds Second Daughter of Hon. J.J. Hayes Doone
pretty wedding of interest to many friends was solemnized in the Stella Maris
Church at Black's Harbour at 7:30 a.m. Saturday when the Rev. Ronald B.
MacGillivray united in marriage, with nuptial high mass celebrated by Squadron
Leader the Rev. J.E. Rowland, of the R.A.F., at Pennfield, Dorothy Eileen,
second daughter of the Honourable J.J. Hayes Doone and the late Mrs. Doone of
Black's Harbour, and Pilot Officer Laird William Herbert Rothernel of the
R.C.A.F., son of Mr. and Mrs. Milton Rothernel of Regina, Saskatchewan.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, was charming in a slipper length gown of tiered white lace over white taffeta made in crinoline style with square neck and button trimming down the back and on the sleeves. Her full length veil of sheer fell from a heart-shaped coronet of lace and orange blossoms. She carried an arm bouquet of white larkspur and gladiolas. Her only attendant was her eldest sister, Miss Shirley Doone, who wore a floor length gown of Queen's blue sheer over blue taffeta made with full skirt and three-quarter length fitted jacket trimmed with self-ruching, picture hat of white straw and white accessories. She carried a bouquet of pink larkspur. Sgt. John L. Yates of the R.C.A.F. was groomsman.
The church was tastefully decorated with gladiolias, white mauve and rose asters and white phlox. C.E. Hennessey, church organist, played the wedding music. Miss Marguerite C. Stuart as soloist sang Rosewig's "Ave Maria" and during the communion Miss Stuart and Mrs. Joseph C. Miller of St. Andrews sang "O Lord I Am Not Worthy."
Following the ceremony breakfast was served at the Harbourview Hotel to the immediate family and members of the wedding party. The table covered with a white linen cloth was centered with a three-tiered wedding cake surmounted by a miniature bride and groom.
Later P/O and Mrs. Rothernel left on a short wedding trip and will spend two weeks on Prince Edward Island. For travelling the bride wore a buttercup yellow wool crepe suit with hat and purse to match and white accessories.
The bride is a graduate of Mount Carmel Academy and of the Commercial College and is a member of Connors Bros. office staff.
Out-of-town guests were: Mrs. A.J. McElvoy and Mrs. John B. Brennan of Devon, N.B., aunts of the bride; Pte. Allen Doone of the R.C.A., Saint John; Miss Mary Giddens of Rolling Dam and Mrs. Joseph C. Miller of St. George.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - August 26, 1943.
David's church, Bay Road, was the scene of a very pretty wedding on Wednesday,
September 22, at 7:30 p.m., when Mary Ella, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert
Denyer, became the bride of L.A.C. Clifford David Lewis, R.A.F., now at
Pennfield, formerly of Wales, England. Rev. J. Edison Lane was the officiating
clergyman. The church was attractively decorated with autumn flowers.
The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, was becomingly attired in white taffeta, slipper length, with a veil held in place by a wreath of orange blossoms. Her bouquet was of coral and white gladiola and maidenhair fern.
Miss Louise Denyer, sister of the bride, was bridesmaid. Her dress was of rose taffeta, slipper length, with white accessories. Her bouquet was of coral gladioli. Mrs. Albert Denyer, mother of the bride, wore a black sheer street length dress with black and white accessories and a corsage of white asters and roses.
L.A.C. Harry Keepin of the R.A.F. supported the groom, and Frank Blackall and Laurence Crompton were ushers.
During the signing of the register Miss Amber Sinnett and Fred Eastman sang "O Perfect Love." The wedding music was played by Mrs. Frank Blackall.
Immediately following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents. The dining room was tastefully decorated. The table was covered with a linen cloth centered with a three tier bride's cake, flanked by white candles in silver holders.
The misses Marian McBride, Dorothy Denyer and Christine Pierce served. Mrs. Will Finkill, Mrs. Herman Duplissea and Mrs. Cole Pierce replenished. There were about fifty guests present.
The happy couple were the recipients of many beautiful and useful gifts. They left later for a short honeymoon to points of interest in New Brunswick.
The bride's gift to the bridesmaid was a gold mesh evening bag, and to her attendants were emblem pins. The groom's gift to the best man was a billfold and to the ushers were automatic pencils with gold clips.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - September 30, 1943.
following account of a recent wedding is of interest to many in Charlotte
County. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Trecarten, formerly of
St. Andrews and granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. T.L. Trecarten of Lord's Cove.
"The church of Christ, Coburg Street, was the scene of an interesting wedding when Rev. Donald Gardner united in marriage Catherine Ardella Trecarten, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Trecarten and A.C. Norman Sapeley Murray, R.A.F., Pennfield. Miss Phyllis Izzard presided at the organ and during the signing of the register, Miss Leona Langille and Miss Phyllis Izzard sang "I Love You Truly." The recessional was Mendelssohn's Wedding March.
"Given in marriage by her uncle, (Allan P. Trecarten), the bride was attended by her sister, June Ann, and the groomsman was L.A.C. Lionel William Winters, R.A.F., Pennfield. The bride wore a gown of airforce blue with navy blue accessories and carried a bouquet of pink gladioli.
"The bridesmaid wore a street-length dress of black crepe with red accessories and carried a bouquet of gladioli. The bride's mother wore a black crepe ensemble and a corsage of roses.
"A reception was held later at the home of the bride. Many lovely gifts were received. The groom is at present stationed at Pennfield and was formerly from Manchester, England."
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - December 2, 1943.
George, Jan. 18 - A quiet and pretty wedding of interest to friends in
the community was solemnized Wednesday, January 12, at 6:30, at the parsonage of
the United Baptist Church, when the pastor, Rev. D.F. MacDormand in the presence
of relatives and friends united in marriage Miss Edith Katherine, eldest
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest MacDougall, St. George, and L.A.C. John James
Torley of the R.A.F., Pennfield, son of Mrs. Anna Torley of Fifeshire, Scotland,
and the late Mr. Torley.
The bride looked charming in a one-piece street-length frock of powder-blue wool crepe, having a navy brimmed felt hat with perforated trim and accessories of navy. She carried an arm bouquet of pink and white carnations and fern.
Mrs. John Scousha of St. George, formerly of England, was matron of honor, and wore a street-length frock of turquoise blue crepe and had black accessories carrying an arm bouquet of pink carnations and fern.
Corporal Charles Holdsworth of the R.A.F, Pennfield, was best man.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents, where relatives and friends had gathered to extend congratulations and best wishes to the young couple. After a brief wedding trip spent in Saint John and vicinity Mr. and Mrs. Torley returned to St. George and are living at the St. George Inn.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - January 27, 1944.
wedding of interest was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sydney H. Harvey,
Saturday, Jan. 15, by Rev. H.H. MacFarlane of the Union Street Baptist Church,
when Lillian Jennie Morgan, daughter of Pte. and Mrs. Albert Morgan of Durham
Bridge, became the bride of Flight Sergeant Jack Ronald Astridge, R.A.F., of
Ipswich, England. The house was attractively decorated for the ceremony with
snapdragons, carnations and flags.
The bride was attended by Miss Doris Inches of St. Stephen and Sergeant Thomas Butler, R.A.F., was the groomsman.
The bride, who was given in marriage by Sydney Harvey, wore a street length suit of two-toned green crepe trimmed with green velvet and brown accessories, with a corsage of yellow tea roses. Her attendant wore a dress of army red with a corsage of white carnations.
Following the ceremony a buffet luncheon was served by Mrs. Sydney Harvey, assisted by Mrs. Rolfe Vanstone. The bride's table was covered with a white linen cloth, decorated with red, white and blue tapers. The centrepiece was a bride's cake decorated with a miniature bride and groom.
Later the bride and groom left on an extended wedding trip for Fredericton, where they will visit the bride's mother, and other parts of New Brunswick. For travelling the bride wore a Persian lamb coat. On their return they will reside in St. Stephen.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - January 27, 1944.
St. George, February 7 - The marriage of Miss Mary Grace Cook, only child of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Cook, of St. George, N.B., to Cpl. Alfred John Matthews,
Royal Air Force, only child of Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Matthews, of London and Southsea, England, took place quietly, owing to recent bereavements in the groom's family, at the Greenock Presbyterian Church, St. Andrews by the Sea at 12
o'clock noon on Thursday, January 27, the minister of the church, Dr. S. Davidson, officiating.
The bride was attended by her cousin, Mrs. Delbert Rigby, and Cpl. Ernest Jackson, Royal Air Force, was groomsman. Horace Coleman, Y.M.C.A. supervisor of the Red Triangle Club, St. George, presided at the organ.
Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore a street length, two piece turquoise blue crepe dress, trimmed with white lace in cutwork, a Juliet cap of turquoise velvet velvet leave and shoulder length veil of the same shade. She carried a bouquet of Miniver roses and her only ornament was a rope Cooper pearls, the gift of the groom. The matron of honour wore a two piece dress of Heaven Blue with black accessories, carrying a bouquet of Talisman roses.
The bride's mother wore a two piece black crepe dress, sequin trimmed, a wine feather hat, with veil to match, and a corsage of American Beauty roses.
Following the ceremony a luncheon was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Delbert Rigby, for the bridal party and and immediate relatives, Mrs. William Carroll representing the groom's mother.
The tastefully laid table was centered with a three tier wedding cake, flanked with tall white tapers in crystal holders. Mrs. Edwin Carter cut the ices and Mrs. McCarlie and Mrs. Williamson served. Dr. Davies proposed the toast to the bride, the groom fittingly responded.
Later Cpl. and Mrs. Matthews left for a short wedding trip, the bride wearing a brown crepe dress, a brown and gold Parisian hat, muskrat coat and corsage of American Beauty roses.
The bride is connected with the firm of John Dewar and Sons of St. George and is well known locally, holding office of as secretary of No.15 Granite Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star and superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday School.
The groom has been with the Equipment Branch of the Royal Air Force in Canada for the past two and a half years.
Upon their return they will reside in St. George.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - February 10, 1944.
A quiet pretty wedding was solemnized in St. Mark's Anglican Church, St. George, on Saturday evening, March 4th, when the Rev. Hubert Doody, rector of the
church, united in marriage Martha Winnifred, youngest daughter of Mrs. Mary and the late Thomas Tucker of Black's Harbour and Corporal Donald Redvers Dann of the Royal Air Force, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.D. Dann, of Norwich, Norfolk,
The bride, given in marriage by her brother Murray, was charming in a two piece dress of Queen's blue crepe with tucking, bell sleeves trimmed with white ruching and buttonnaire of the same, a flower model hat of matching blue straw with chapel length veil and white gloves. She carried an arm bouquet of American Beauty roses.
Mrs. Henry Matheson of St. George, sister of the bride, was matron of honour. She wore a two piece dress of rose crepe with bracelet length sleeves trimmed with white ruching, a flower model hat of matching straw, and white gloves , and carried Talisman roses. Corporal Alex Dunmuir of the R.A.F. acted as groomsman. The ushers were Foster Matthews of L'Etete and L.A.C. Edward McKinley of the R.A.F., Pennfield.
As the bride entered the church, the organist, Mrs. Helen Clark, played the bridal chorus by Lohengrin. During the service the choir sang "O Perfect Love," and during the signing of the register Corporal William Colley of the R.A.F. sang "The Voiced That Breathed O'er Eden". The bride and groom left the church to the strains of Mendelssohn wedding march.
The young couple left soon after the ceremony for Machais, Maine. For travelling the bride donned a tailored coat of black wool boucle trimmed with silver fox. The young couple will reside for present at Black's Harbour.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - February 10, 1944.
A pretty wedding of interest to many friends in the Maritimes was solemnized in St. Marks Anglican Church, St. George, at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 16th,
when the Rev. Hubert Doody united in marriage with double ring ceremony Frances Bernice, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert J. McDowell of Black's Harbour and Warrant Officer William Edward Dow of the R.C.A.F., son of Mr. and
Mrs. Walter Dow of Vancouver, B.C.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, was charming in a floor-length full-skirted gown of white georgette over taffeta with gathered yoke trimmed with white embroidery and matching hipline embroidery, full bishop sleeves and veil entrain with border of tiny rosettes falling from a coronet of orange blossoms. White pumps and an arm bouquet of American Beauty and Happy Day roses completed her costume.
Her attendant was Miss Marguerite Hennessey, cousin of the bridge, who wore a floor-length, full skirted gown on pink taffeta made in a pink taffeta made in long torso style with sweet "V" neckline, short puffed sleeves and applique trimming of ,matching velvet, long pink gloves and cap of flowers with short veil. She carried an arm bouquet of Better Time roses and fern. The groomsman was Warrant Officer Ward of the R.C.A.F, Pennfield.
The bride's mother wore a fitted frock of black crepe trimmed with matching tarpunto embroidery, large black hat, and a corsage of roses.
Mrs. Helen Clark, church organist, played the nuptial music and during the service the choir sang "O Perfect Love" and "The Voiced That Breathed O'er Eden". Warrant Officers Carter and Thibideau were ushers.
The wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride's parents. The table was covered with a linen cloth and centred with a three-tier wedding cake surmounted with a miniature bride and groom and flanked by bud vases of spring flowers. Mrs. Sutton Ingalls and Miss Elaine Moses, friends of the bridge, served.
The young couple left for Winnipeg where they will reside. For travelling the bride wore a tailored suit of Queen's blue wool gabardine with long torso jacket and white jabot blouse, over which she wore a muskrat coat, a matching Dutch bonnet hat of garbardine, army tan shoes and carried an embroidered draw-string bag.
The bride is a graduate of Black 's Harbour Superior School, and Mount Carmel Commercial College and has been employed as secretary to the office manager of Connors Bros., Limited.
SOURCE: The Saint Croix Courier (St. Stephen, NB) - March 23, 1944.