CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE HISTORY OF CHARLOTTE COUNTY AND THE BORDER TOWNS
LXXV.-Dr. Paine's Associates
In the grant made to Wm. Paine and associates, on the 29th of March, 1784, there were included several blocks of land on the Magaguadavic and L'Etang and along the intervening coastline.
To Dr. Paine himself was granted a tract of 1000 acres lying between the Magaguadavic and Lake Utopia, on both sides of the Canal,(as the stream connecting the lake with the river is called, probably from it's straight course and even depth of water.) Between this and Capt. Clinch's grant lay a tract of the same size granted later to Capt. Philip Bailey and associates. The island of LeTete, now Frye's Island, was granted later.
A block of 1000 acres at LeTete, bounded by an east and west line lying far enough back on the mainland to cut off that area, was granted to fifteen of Dr. Paine's associates, whose names are given in the grant as Jane Brown, Mrs. Brown, Nancy Dennis, Nancy Falsom, Elizabeth Granger, John Granger, Mrs. Granger, Molly Granger, Susan Granger, William Granger, Esther Paine, Harriet Paine, Mrs. Paine, William Paine Jr., and William Richardson.
The next grantee named is Samuel Paine, who received 1000 acres at the head of L'Etang, extending eastward from Capt. Clinch's grant into what is now the parish of Pennfield.
Samuel Bliss received 500 acres on the east of L'Etang, fronting on the river. He afterwards got a grant of the large island at the mouth of the harbor, still known as Bliss's Island, and the smaller island near it, known as the White Horse.
To James Campbell and William Grant was granted a tract of 1000 acres lying north of the before mentioned block at LeTete.
John Cochran, the last named in the grant, received 1000 acres at the eastern entrance of L'Etang, including the promontory that forms the south-eastern side of Black's harbour.The land lying between Black's Harbour and the inner harbour of L'Etang was reserved to the crown.
The grant is indexed as made to 'William Paine and 19 others', but there are twenty others named, if Mrs. Paine is to be regarded as a separate grantee. The names and their grouping suggest a sort of family compact, and most of the associates were probably relatives of Dr. Paine. The last four, Bliss, Campbell, Grant, and Cochran, were probably brother officers, who made application with him for the particular tracts allotted to them.
Samuel Bliss, according to a note in the geneology of the Bliss family, had been a merchant of Greenfield, Mass. He was a son of the Reverend Daniel Bliss, and was born in 1750. He served as an officer in New York and New Jersey during the war, but his rank in the army is not stated. He married Mary Harwood and had one child, a daughter, born at Halifax in 1783. He was a brother of Hon. Daniel Bliss, chief judge of the inferior court of common pleas in this province, and an uncle of Judge John Murray Bliss, who was a member of council and administator of the government in 1824. It is said that he built a fine house on his Island, and went to England to bring his family to live in it; but died on the return passage, and the house was never occupied. A St. John newspaper of 1803, however, says that he died at St. George in the early part of that year.
Lieut. James Campbell, (afterwards Capt. Campbell) was an officer of the 54th regiment. He was a native of Scotland, and was born about 1756. He married a Miss Gardiner, of Castine, and had five children, the youngest of whom, a posthumous child, was the late Postmaster Campbell of St. Andrews. Capt. Campbell built a sawmill in Pennfield and engaged in lumbering. He was killed by a fall from the roof of his mill in 1802.
William Grant is probably the same as Lieut. William Grant, who died in 1818, leaving an estate in St. George, of which Col. McKay was administrator; and John Cochran may be the Capt. John Cochran mentioned by Sabine, who was born at Portsmouth, N. H. And was appointed to the command of the fort at that place at the outbreak of the war, and who died in St. John, N. B., at the age of 55.
*Dr. Samuel Fry, whom I knew well, married a Miss Mowatt, a granddaughter of Dr. John Caleff. I think Jedediah Caleff, who was called Capt. Caleff, a son of Dr. Caleff, was formerly owner of the island.---E. Jack.
Written by permission of the Saint Croix Courier