MAIN GEOGRAPHY PAGE

HOME

GEOGRAPHICAL AREAS OF ST. ANDREWS PARISH
Charlotte County, New Brunswick

St. Andrews .

St. Andrews: Community at mouth of St. Croix River on a peninsula projecting into Passamaquoddy Bay: Saint Andrews Parish, Charlotte County: named by French missionary who landed on St. Andrews Day: settled by Penobscot Loyalists in 1783: PO from about 1829: formerly named Connosquamcook: in 1898 St. Andrews was a seaport and a port of entry, terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway and a farming and fishing community with 20 stores, 3 hotels, 2 fish curing establishments, 1 boat building operation, 5 churches and a population of 1,800: St. Andrews was incorporated as a town in 1903. Ref: COMMUNITY PLACE NAMES IN NEW BRUNSWICK, CANADA, compiled by Robert F. Fellows

According to information extracted by Dan Johnson from the St. Andrews Beacon: "It may not be generally known that one of the houses situated near the elm trees in St. Andrews was built by Springate, one of the famous Cato Street Conspirators. After the conspiracy he fled to America and he located himself in St. Andrews. Here he built a house and here he lived for a number of years. The house has been changed in appearance somewhat since it was first erected, but the original frame is still there"

Cato Street Conspiracy

St. Andrews Harbour:

St. Andrews Island* (*aka Navy Island):

St. Andrews North: a community and station: with PO Chamcook 1860-1882 and 1915-1970.
 

St. Andrews Parish: is now one of the smallest in Charlotte County. It is situated on a peninsula on the coast, just across the St. Croix River, from Maine. In earlier times (until 1874) what is now Saint Croix Parish was within its bounds. With those lands added, the parish was about 3 or 4 times larger than it is at present. (see the map link above)

In the Charlotte County portions of the statistical reports of the last few censuses of Canada, and they give the areas of the parishes, along with the populations. 

In 1996, the population of the Town of St. Andrews itself was 1752 people and the area was 8.39 km^2. The rest of Saint Andrews Parish had a population of 452 and an area of 24.53 km^2. This gives a total parish population of 2204 people with an area of 32.92 km^2.

Ref: (supplied by Craig Walsh Oct 2001) Statistics Canada. Profile of Census Divisions and Subdivisions in New Brunswick. Ottawa: Industry Canada, 1999. 1996 Census of Canada. Catalogue number 95-185-XPB. pages 66-67. (comment: "a look at my topographic map of the area (21 G/3) and counted the number of squares and it came out to about the same area.)

There are relatively few settlement areas within its present bounds, and other than the Town of St. Andrews and Ministers Island, they blend together along the several roadways, and are listed in gazetters as dispersed communities.

Several etching are found on the site by Shelia Washburn, which she referenced as Etchings for Algonquin Resort when it opened 111 years ago. (From the Archives of Art MacKay) 1889 Etchings of Passamaquoddy Area - Taken from the St. Andrews Land Company's prospectus
  • The Algonquin, Built 1889, St. Andrews, N.B.
  • Along the Wharves, St.Andrews, N.B.
  • Old Block House, St. Andrews, N.B.
  • Light House Wharf, St. Andrews, N.B.
  • From Fort Tipperary, St. Andrews, N.B.
  • A bit of the Water Front, St. Andrews, N.B.
  • (A complete set of the 20 etchings, which include areas around the parish)

MAIN GEOGRAPHY PAGE

HOME

Legal Disclaimer: 2005