BACK TO HISTORICAL DATA

Fort Tipperary in St. Andrews

Page Mounted May 2005

Fort Tipperary, was the site of a British Garrison built for the War of 1812. The land is designated a national historic site because the berms around the property contain the original earthworks for the War of 1812.

In 1903, a summer home was built on the site for Lord Thomas Shaughnessy who was president of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. The barrack building, officers’ quarters, guard house and sergeant’s cottage were removed from the site so that the summer home could be constructed.

In 1985, Margot Mais, granddaughter of Lord Shaughnessy, sold the home to Algonquin Properties.

In April of 2004 it was destroyed by fire and supposed to be demolished in 2005.

BACK TO HISTORICAL DATA