Page Mounted 1 Nov
Photo and History contributed by Marilyn Smith Henderson
Land was donated to the community by Thomas Brisley, and the first church, the Lynnfield Methodist, was built in 1883 at a cost of $780. This church was opened for worship in 1884. The first pastor of the church was Rev. W.B. Thomas and a shed was built for his horse to be put in while services were being held. The people of the congregation hitched their horses to posts or trees.
There was a Presbyterian church nearby but in 1925, when Church Union occurred they decided to unite as one congregation and used the Methodist Church. The Prebyterian Church was used for a community hall for a time but it is no longer standing.
In 1955, the Lynnfield church joined with Upper and Lower Little Ridge, Pomeroy Ridge, Scotch Ridge, Oak Hill, DeWolfe and Baillie to form the St.James Pastoral Charge.
During the years of its existence, the church has had a total of 35 ministers, 6 organists, 36 baptisms, 4 funerals and 4 weddings.
The above photo was taken in 1998 and in 1999 the church was dismantled and moved to Nova Scotia where it is being used as a private residence.
Legal Disclaimer: Copyright (c) 2001