April 21 1870: Canoose: About noon on Saturday the one and half story house and barn, situated at Canoose, on the Joy farm, so called, and belonging to L.A. Mills, Esq., caught fire and was destroyed. Some of the furniture and bedding were also burned.
Aug 18 1870: The Late Fires: We have from time to time recorded the damage done by the fires in the woods, which continued to rage for several weeks with unabated fury.The residents near Lawrence Station and on the Woodstock Road have been heavy sufferers.Messrs. J.E. Kelso, Alex. Dunn, Harrison Dunn and Jas. Evans have all sustained serious loss in the burning of hay fields, fences, etc. Mr. Kelson had seven or eight acres of hay destroyed, and it is not only this years loss, but the roots are so burned as to destroy the prospect of next years crop. We learn also that Mr. James Anderson on Woodstock Road had about 4 acres of hay land destroyed. For miles on miles in the same vicinity there is nothing to be seen but the blackened debris of the fires.
Sept 21 1893: From Canoose: Some sheep are missing and it is feared the bears have taken them.
Mr. Daniel McGlinchey, Mr. Moses Hovey and Andrew Craig are working on the new road between Beaconsfield and the main river.
May 4 1899: Canous; James Rideout got his drive out on Saturday at noon. He brought about one million of logs from the dam to the main river, a distance of seven miles, in five days, which beats the record of all the work done on the river. Mr. Rideout took charge on the rear and Richard Garnett of the forward crews. The men all worked well and seemed all very much inclined to do their part to make a quick drive. As the rear was near the bridge quite a crowd assembled to see the men working on the logs.Mr. Rideout and Alexander McGaw, who were the two boatmen, did not hesitate in giving the ladies a sail over the rapid waters, while the cook, Abram Rideout of Fredericton, did his part in getting a hearty meal for all present.
Aug 24 1899: The residents of Canouse have a daily conundrum before them in the question, When will the bridge over the main stream fall? The bridge was erected many years ago and had new stringers placed about fifteen years ago. Since then it has been practically left alone and is about ready to fall. The structure is sixty feet long and furnishes the only way by which the thrifty farmers at Loon Bay and Beaconsfield can get to market.
Oct 26 1899: The iron bridge with stone abutments which was promised us by the government supporters before the last election has dwindled down to some repairs on the old wood structure.These will have to be supplemented by the renewal of other portions next year. The repairs ordered have been made by Thomas McMahon in a thoroughly competent manner and will last for some years.
May 9, 1901:
Popular Sporting Camp Burned
Nehemiah Hastay and his sons went up to his Canouse farm last week and found on arrival, that their buildings had been burned to the ground.
The barn and hay sheds contained fifteen tons of hay and a lot of farm machinery.The house contained everything needed for up river use in the furniture and furnishing line.
The camp will be missed by a large number who came each spring to enjoy the gunning. They were sure of a welcome from Mr. Hastay, who was always ready to accompany them. He is a sportsman himself, as good a guide as ever went in to the woods and none excell him in preparing appetizing dishes of game.
His loss is placed at $800 and there is no insurance.
April 27 1911: Canoose It is reported that Hon. Mr. Grimmer is much in favor of a new steel bridge to be built this summer to take the place of the dangerous old wooden one which has been so expensive to the government. If this change is accomplised the good will of the people in this vicinity will be with Mr. Grimmer at the next election.