Saint Patrick Parish GenWeb
 Parishes in Charlotte County
Last Updated 22 Aug 2001
    New Brunswick was created in 1784 (1) and it was divided into counties in 1785 (2). The counties were further subdivided into civil parishes in 1786 (3). Charlotte County was one of the original counties and it originally had seven parishes, although some of the land in the county was left unassigned to any parish. These seven parishes were gradually subdivided as warranted by population increases, and the unassigned land was either added to existing parishes or formed into new parishes. Today, in 2001, Charlotte County has fifteen parishes and these include all the land that was unassigned in 1786. The parishes are listed below with a brief history of their boundaries (4) and links to their official GenWeb sites. The modern legal boundaries of the parishes are given on the central Charlotte County GenWeb site.
 
  • Saint Stephen
  • Original parish of 1786. Set off nearly as is today, but for a period (1813-1873) it included
    lands that are now  in other areas.
  • Saint David
  • Original parish of 1786. Nearly as at present.
  • Saint Andrews
  • Original parish of 1786. Nearly as at present, but included Saint Croix.
  • Saint Patrick
  • Original parish of 1786. Nearly as at present, but did not extend as far north. In 1814 it was
    extended to the County line. The extension was formed into Dumbarton in 1856.
    See also Saint Patrick Boundaries.
  • Saint George
  • Original parish of 1786. Extended only about half its northern depth until 1814.
  • Pennfield
  • Original parish of 1786. Extended north to the County line in 1850. Included Lepreau and Clarendon.
  • West Isles
  • Original parish of 1786. Included Campobello until 1803, Grand Manan until 1816, Moose, 
    Frederick and Dudley Islands until they were transferred to the US in 1817.
  • Campobello
  • Set off in 1803 from West Isles, as at present.
  • Grand Manan
  • Set off in 1816 from West Isles, as at present.
  • Saint James
  • Set off in 1823 from unassigned lands and part of Saint Stephen.
  • Dumbarton
  • Set off in 1856 from Saint Patrick.
  • Lepreau
  • Set off in 1857 from Pennfield.
  • Clarendon
  • Set off in 1869 from Pennfield and Lepreau.
  • Dufferin
  • Set off in 1873 from Saint Stephen.
  • Saint Croix
  • Set off in 1874 from Saint Andrews. Altered slightly in 1881 and possibly in 1896.

    Notes

    1. On 18 June 1784 the British Privy Council issued an order-in-council that created the Province of New Brunswick from land that had been part of Nova Scotia. The first governor, Thomas Carleton, arrived at modern-day Saint John on November 21 and began governing the next day. See Pincombe, Alexander C. The Birth of a Province: Pertinent Historic Dates in the Bicentennial Year: 1984. New Brunswick Bicentennial Office, 1980. See also Key Dates in the Creation of New Brunswick.

    2. Carleton delayed holding elections for the first year while he and his council governed directly by order-in-council. It was during this time that the counties were established. Davis (p. 56) notes that the warrant creating Charlotte County was issued 4 June 1785 and reprinted in No. 126 of the Vroom Series in the Saint Croix Courier, 11 June 1895.

    3. Carleton finally held elections in late 1785 and the first General Assembly began meeting in January 1786. It passed an act (26 Geo. III, c. 1) that established the parishes and also reconfirmed Carleton's earlier county divisions.

    4. See Parish Boundary Legislation in Charlotte County for full references.


    Copyright 2000-2001
    Return to Saint Patrick Home
    Coordinator Email
    Please report errors, typos and broken links.