Villages & Geography

Hog Island
Posted 4 Feb 2001

Hog Island actually consists of one large island and two smaller islands. The main island is to the southwest. The north island is the smallest and is connected to the main island by a gravel bar that is exposed except at very high tides. Hog Island was first licensed to John Curry in 1784 along with Hardwood Island and Long Island "for the purpose of Raising Sheep." It acquired its name, which is presumably connected to the sheep, as early as 1795. More information and references are given on the Hardwood, Long, and Hog Islands Page.
 


Figure 1: Hog Island
The main island is on the right. The small northern island is on the left and is
connected to the main island by the exposed gravel bar in the centre. The
east island is visible behind the bar. Taken at low tide from Orrs Point,
looking south-east.


 


Figure 2: East Hog Island
The edge of the main island is on the far right. Midjic Bluff and the mouth of
the Magaguadavic River are in the background on the far left.Taken from the
northern island, looking south-east.


 


Figure 3: North Hog Island
The gravel bar to the main island is almost covered by the tide and is barely
visible at the far left. Taken from the main island, looking north.

All photographs taken in August 2000 by Craig Walsh.

Villages & Geography
Copyright 2001