Name: Austin (Augustine) BEARCE Sex: Male Birth 1618 in Southhampton, England Death bef 1697 (age 79) Marriages/Children 1. Mary Little Dove HYANNO Marriage 1639 in Matachee Village, MA (age 21) Martha BEARCE (1642-) Priscilla BEARCE (10 Mar 1644-30 Mar 1712) Sarah BEARCE (28 Mar 1646-) Abigail BEARCE (18 Dec 1647-) Hannah BEARCE (16 Nov 1649-) Joseph BEARCE (25 Jan 1651/52-27 Jan 1728) Hester BEARCE (2 Oct 1653-) Lydia BEARCE (Sep 1655-) Rebecka BEARCE (16 Sep 1657-) James BEARCE (Jul 1660-abt 1727) Notes: came to Cape Cod from Longstock England in 1638 on Confidence at the age of 20 Settle in Barnstable in 1639. Sailed from Southhampton in April, 1636. Matachee Village is in Barnstable District, Mass. born near Southhampton England. Became a freeman on 05-03-1652 (Goodman Austin Bearse). died between 1686-1697 Following is quoted from A Contribution to the Genealogy of the Bearse or Bearse Family in America 1618-1871, by John Bearse Newcomb, Dec 7, 1871 "Austin Bearse came over "in the good Shipp, the Confidence of London, of two hundred tonnes" from Southhampton, England, April 24, 1638 and was then 20 years of age, having been born in or near Southhampton in 1618. He came to Barnstable (near Cape Cod, MA) with the first company in 1639. His houselot, containing twelve acres of very rocky land in the westerly part of the East Parish, was bounded westerly by John Crocker's land, northerly by the meadow, Easterly by Isaac Robinson's land and southerly "into y woods". His house stood on the north side of the road, and his cellar and some remains of his orchard existed at the commencement of the this century. A road from his house to Hyannis is still known as "Bearse's Way"**. He owned six acres of meadow adjoining his upland on the north, and two thatch islands still known as Bearse's Islands. He also had six acres of land in the Calves Pasture, esteemed as being the best soil in the town; eight acres of planting land on the north of Shoal's pond bounded by Mr. Coopers, now called Huckin's Neck and thirty acres at the Indian ponds bounded easterly by the Herring River. The Indian Pond lot he sold to the Thomas Allen and the planting lands at Shoal Pond were occupied by his descendants until recently. John Jenkins and John Dexter afterward owned the ancient homestead. He became a member of Mr. Lothrop's Church April 29, 1643; his name stands at the head of the list. The first person admitted. He appears to have been very exact in the performance of his religious duties, causing his children to be baptised on the day of their birth, if Sunday or on the following sabbath. His son Joseph, born on Sunday, January 25, 1652 was taken two miles to the church and baptized the same day. Many believed that children dying upbaptized were lost and that consequently it was the duty of the parents to present their children early for baptism. Being influenced by the this feeling, he did not wish by a week's delay to imperil the eternal salvation of his child. Now such an act would be pronounced unnecessary and cruel. However differently the present generation may view the question of baptism, he did what he honestly believed his duty and he who does that intelligently is to be justified. He was proposed to be admitted a freeman, June 3 1652, and was admitted on the 3rd of May following, His name rarely occurs on the records. He was a grand juror in 1653 and 1662, and a surveyor of highways in 1674. He was one of the very few against whom no complaint was ever made, a fact which speaks well for his character as a man and as a citizen. He was a farmer, lived on the produce of the land, and brought up his large family to be like himself - useful members of society. There appears to be no record of his death, nor settlement of his estate on the probate records. He was living in 1686, but died before 1697." **this road is still known as Bearse's way in 1996 Following is quoted from Genealogical Notes of Barnstable Families: "Austin...became a member of Mr. Lothrops Church...his name stands at the head of the list...(since this writing I have become satisfied that there is an omission in the Cape Church records preserved 1642 of members admitted in 1640 and 1641)...His grandsons settled early at Hyannis"